Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
2.73/5  rDev -25%

325ml bottle purchased at Green's, in Atlanta.

A- Pours a clear ruby/orange with a spritzy/fizzy white head. Head dies quickly, leaves minimal lacing.
S- Faint sweetness, mild barnyard funk. Straining to pick up much of anything.
T- Apple juice. Faint sour notes overshadowed by the sugary sweetness.
M- Medium body, low carbonation.
D- Too much sugary sweetness. I'm struggling to finish.

Overall - I had high expectations for this one and it fell flat. It just reminds me of fermented apple juice, too much sugary sweetness, no complexity. I'll stick with the Cuvee Renee next time.

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%

37.5cL bottle poured into a snifter at 6°c

Appearance - 3 fingers of crackling head. Intense light carbonation that erupts through the froth. Nice polished mahogany colour.

Smell - At first it smells very strongly of cider and apples. After a few sips, the sweetness is replaced by a rancid butter smell - not very appealing.

Taste - Acidy sweet apple taste even more than I expected. Overpowering and made it hard to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a nice coating and is rather fizzy but a few sips and the astringency of the sugar leaves the mouth very dry.

Overall - I knew what I was getting in to, not being a great fan of sweet beers. So I rated it on the generous side - it's brewed to taste the way it does. The sweetness of the beer affects the smell and I found it rather off-putting.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

green 12oz into tulip snifter.
corked bottle. absolute nightmare to remove the cork, broke off, leaving half in the neck.

Pours an amber yellow with a fizzy off white head that is short lived.

The aroma is of sweet Belgian candi and some tart apple with a lightly funky backing.

The taste is very sweet, with a lot of apple notes. A very faint funky backing that gets lost at times in the sweetness.

Medium body with low carbonation.

As it is my first example of the style I have nothing to compare it to, but it was a bit too sweet for my liking.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The beer is dark orange in color with a small white head, slightly cloudy in color.

The smell is of brown sugar water, a little earthy. Not too pleasant.

Taste is very very sweet, almost like syrup. Notes of fruit and green or candied apple. Very powerful and bad aftertaste.

Probably medium in body but the sugar makes it very cloying.

This beer was not good. Maybe it is good for the style but it was not enjoyable to drink.

2.81/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into My Gulden Draak tulip. Picked this one up at Stateline about 2 months ago.

a - Pours a hazy orange-brown color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident. Lots of lacing left on the glass and 2 minutes or so of head retention.

s - Smells of sugar, fruit, apples, some Belgian yeast, light spices. A ton of sugar up front.

t - Tastes of sugar, sweet fruits, apples, Belgian spices and yeast. Again, way to sweet...reminded me a tiny bit of a really sweet cider.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Little tough to drink due to the sweetness.

o - Overall not a great faro. Just way to sweet and not balanced at all; the sugar dominates and makes it tough to drink. My girlfriend liked it quite a bit though and helped me finish the bottle. Wouldn't seek it out again; go for the 3f faro if you're interested in trying the style.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

33cl bottle, corked and capped, from one of hundreds of bottle shops in Brussels. Poured into wide-mouthed wine glass in the hotel room.

Deep copper to light brown, hazy, opaque, almost dirty looking, light head, no lacing.

Smell: sweet and tangy, a little sour.

Taste: sweet, tangy, just barely hints at the funk of lambic, the added sugar overpowers it. Some slight soury tang, cork, leather.

Mouth: thick and viscous and full, almost unpleasantly so.

Drinkability: eh. It's something I could sit and drink a couple of, but it's so underwhelming, why would I want to? Just a mediocre offering from a place that brewery mastered transatlantic marketing. Fortunately, this one isn't yet suckering people into paying $10 for it in the states. (It's about 1 euro in most Belgian supermarkets.)

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

I've been very interested in trying a Faro lately. Unfortunately, this is the best I can do. Poured from a 355ml into a Russian River tulip.

Pours an amber color with a head that dissipates quickly into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

The smell is sweet, like caramel. Pretty similar to Coca Cola but with a subtle tarter, citrus zest behind the sweetness. Not really complex at all.

Tastes is somewhat similar to the smell but with more sweetness and no real apparent tartness or zest. The candy sweetness coats your tongue and it's hard to really taste anything else in the beer. The flavor sort of reminds me of apple juice.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slight amount of carbonation, almost still.

Overall, I would say that I am not impressed and don't think I'll be buying this ever again. I was just curious of the style and wanted to try it. I'm sure that a Faro could be delicious if done correctly, but this beer is just way too sweet.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a: This was a light, cola brown and it poured with a small, wispy head.

s: This is an interesting clash of sweet, candi-sugar marshmallow sweetness and lightly funky, prickly apples.

t: The taste clashes as well, but its more off-putting than interesting. The sweet elements are much stronger than funky ones. It starts off with something I want to call marshmallow plus a pretty healthy dose of artificial sweetener. There is some green apple funk towards the end, but it doesn't take over. The funk that was there brought Flander's to mind rather than a lambic.

m: The light carbonation coupled with the sweetness makes this feel kind of heavy overall.

o: While I'd welcome a chance to try another example of the style, I don't think Faros are for me. The sweet/funky ratio was way out of whack here.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

It's been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. But I figured I'd make a run at it with this bizarre style. Who knows maybe I'll get back in the grove and start doing this on a more regular basis.

Appearance: I went with an aggressive pour assuming that head retention would not be a strong suit. I was correct in this assumption. The head started off at about 1 and 1/2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin cap. It still managed to leave a few swipes of lacing with the first few swigs. The beer itself is a moderately hazy reddish amber color with ginger ale colored edges when held to the light.

Smell: I can tell right off the bat this is going to be an interesting experience. The first thing that comes to mind is tart lemon rind which mixes fairly well with the sweetness from the candi sugar. The wild card is the dusting of funkiness that vaguely reminds of a strong cheese. It's not off putting per se just a bit awkward.

Taste: Wow, much sweeter than the smell would lead you to believe. It's an artificial sweetness that reminds me of saccharine. In fact the beer as a whole kind of reminds me of a glass of iced tea that someone dumped one too many Sweet'n Lows into and then squeezed in a lemon. The only difference being the kick of sour and the funk. I realize this may be close to the intended style, but the sweetness is just too overbearing and fake.

Mouthfeel: Nothing remarkable, but it's fairly good for the style. The body is fairly light, while the carbonation is sprightly but not overbearing.

Drinkability: At some point in time I'd like to try a different Faro though I realize the chances of this are slim to none. I just wonder if Lindemans did some artificial sweetening as well as the candied sugar. After all they do it with their standard series of lambics so it certainly isn't out of the question. Also for reference I have had a few of their fruit lambics and this is far sweeter than any of them. It's just too much.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured this 355 mL green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Coded: LJ27HFA. The body was amber-gold and fairly clear of sediment, head was off-white. A ring of sediment remained in the bottle.

Smell was the expected damp basement aroma. I hate to say it but upon a deep inhale a vomit smell was revealed, ick. Thankfully this was not the predominant aroma.

Taste was sweet, wow! Syrupy on the lips with a tart finish. Green apple pulp.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth with a medium body. Adequate carbonation and a bit syrupy. This was my first faro, I see that I prefer lambics.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this. One of those obscure styles that I've been looking to try.

A: The pour is a clear amber color with an intense levely of carbonation but surprisingly little in terms of head.

S: The nose is very musty with some odd notes of cork and bread. There is quite a bit of sugary sweetness as well, but I expected that.

T: Wow, I was really surprised by the flavor of this. The intense sweetness was the first thing I noticed as this beer is very sugary. There's also a hint of fruit and for some reason, a bile note on the back end.

M: The body was medium with a very high level of carbonation and despite being sweetened, still has a certain level of dryness.

D: This beer is really all over the place. I was not at all surprised by the intense sugary character, but the vomit flavor really seemed out of place.

2.89/5  rDev -20.6%

375ml bottle poured into a tulip, my first Faro, not really sure what to expect...

Pours a murky dark rose color, with some plum as well. Two fingers of fine off-white head forms and recedes pretty quickly...

Wow, the aroma is exciting. Tart and acidic like your typical lambic, but the tartness is much more subdued and even has a slight overripe fruit aroma. Where the aroma really shines is in its mustiness, funky and earthy, wet hay...

Hmmm, I detect no tart or sour flavors in this beer at all. Over the top sweetness with no balancing flavors. Very much like a very sweet cheap champagne or one of those macro ciders, not my style at all. When you lick your lips after each sip, all you taste in candi-sugar...

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation. Slick and syrupy, eh...

Yea, not trying this one again. WAY too sweet, I need a Cantillon to wash out my mouth now...

2.94/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a brownish gunky/yeasty brown. A bunch of floaties throughout which I do not appreciate, especially because I poured carefully and slow.
Aromas of subtle funky yeast, sour apple and pear. As it becomes a little warmer you get some candied apple and powdered sugar smells.
The tastes begins with sweet candy and lesser apple and even lesser pear notes. Tastes like a green apple cider that someone added a few tablespoons of honey to; not too exciting or palatable unless you are in the mood for an extremely sweet syrupy juice. It is not that sour or funky, not much yeast flavor to be found.
The mouthfeel is medium-to-thin bodied with a fairly low amount of carbonation. Doesn't help the overly sweet character of this beer. Too much sweet candy/sugary flavors leave this with a fuller finish, not as dry as I would prefer for this style.
Overall, I'm still fairly new to appreciating and enjoying sour beers but even I know this is a miss. Not sure what exactly a Faro is supposed to taste like because this is my first, but as an avid beer drinker I know what is good/great/bad and this is definitely blah...

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Code on Bottle: H10JFA

Appearance: As poured the beer is very lightly hazed deep russet, almost brown, color with a ½" eggshell white head that leaves some lacing as it slowly recedes to a ring and an island of foam. The ring persists for most all of the beer and sipping continues to leave lots of scattered large speckles of lacing.

Smell: Upon opening there is a distinct set of aromas that tell me this beer is different from most I've had. There is some vinegar like character that a bit like that of sour apples tinged with a bit of sour cherry. It also has a slightly musky character and all of this is softened by something like the aroma of white syrup.

Taste: The flavors are pretty much predicted from the nose, except that the sweetness comes through much more strongly than expected. There is some underlying tartness and sourness that is barely let through to show by the sweetness. The flavors remind me of tart apples mixed with sour cherries and then blended with lots of sweet syrup. (From reading the style description that is role the sugar syrup is supposed to play, however, the taste of the artificial sweetner in here is mildly unpleasant to me).

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is crisp and medium bodied with light but persistent carbonation. The finish is moderately long with the sweetness taking a long time to eventually fade away into a dry sour cherry flavor. Meanwhile in the background is the somewhat bothersome contribution from the artificial sweetner.

Drinkability: This is both my first Faro and my first Lambic. It seemed a good way to ease into the style and while my experience is limited so far I already know that I can enjoy tart sourness in a beer. On the whole I found this a beer for slow sipping, but at times I confess I also found the sweetness a bit much, partly because I'm a taster for artificial sweetners. And so, as with many introductions, now that I've had this one I'll not be returning often to this particular beer or style of Lambic very often except to sample someone else's version of a Faro to see if I like it a bit better. (Also to be fair this seems to be intended as a dessert beer, which is not how I drank it.)

2.95/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

To say they overdid the sweetness is an exaggeration. Sour does nothing to overcome its syrup-like feel and taste but in the farthest reaches of aftertaste.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

Tasted from bottle at Lush Roscoe. Pours dark, sparkling amber with a large white head that quickly recedes to lace. The aroma is slightly sour with a sweet note, a hint of red wine vinegar, and a vegetal quality as well. The flavors are slightly sweet and sour with red wine vinegar and some fruitiness. Body is medium with sparkling carbonation and a medium malty and tart finish.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a healthy ruddy hue, capped with a respectable cherry blossom-colored head. Cute.

Smell is various fruit esters, vanilla yogurt, and pancake syrup (not maple syrup), with just a little funkiness -- but even that's more of a mustiness, an old chalkboard kind of vibe.

Taste is very one-dimentional, reeking of candi-sugar and immature sweetness, with just a splash of authentic lambic character, which emerges in a soft crab-apple finish.. Sort of like old vanilla soda that had an ounce of Cantillon spilled into it by mistake, and maybe not even that much. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is fine, but not going to be the saving grace of this one at this point.

Drinkability is not great. One bottle was worth the try, but there's no way I can see myself buying another (even though sightings of it are rare to begin with.)

A wimpy lambic. No mas, senor.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans