Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Faro |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at the Académie De La Bière in Paris.

I'm not familiar with the Faro style, which is why I tried this. I'm going by the style description in scoring this. It seems to have hit all the major points: it's sweet and light.

A: The body is a light golden-amber blend with active carbonation up the center. The head has receded by the time the beer reaches me, but it's survived by a moderate collar on the brew as well as some scattered bubbles on the surface.

S: Tangy candi sugar, caramel, green apples. A hint of pepper and orange. Really just smells like candy, as a whole.

T: And tastes like it, too. Sweet, sugary candi-flavor up front. The mid-taste sees an evolution of apple and caramel, with a light berry aroma, but the finish is again just candi, candi, candi.

M: Light-bodied, carbonation is soft on the tongue. Syrupy, but it's light enough (and cleansing enough) that it doesn't get sticky and cloying.

D: One glass was enough. It's not really a dessert sipper, and it's not really appropriate to start a meal. I'm not sure where I'd fit it into a drinking order. Maybe if you had a small child who likes sweet things? Children like candy, don't they? There we go... Faro = beer for children. (1,223 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to akorsak for sharing this 355ml bottle on 10/18/09.

A - Poured a slightly hazy golden/light orange body with a foamy alabaster head that yielded lots of thick, bubbly lacing around the glass.

S - Hmmm... kind of odd aroma and certainly not exactly what I was expecting. Initial aroma is a patchwork of sweet and sour sauce, mothballs, caramelized apples, candi sugar and a hint of band-aid.

T - Initial sip reveals something very different than what the aroma suggested. This is an extremely sweet and sugary brew with lots of fruity notes akin to apples and berries. There's also candi sugar... LOTS of candi-sugar. This is the Marshmallow Peeps of beer, folks!

M - Light bodied with a syrupy texture and soft carbonation, resulting in minimal bristle factor. Sugary, candy-like sweetness envelopes the tongue through the finish.

D - This was almost too sweet. Actually, it was too sweet... for a beer, anyway. The sweetness really hinders its drinkability overall. Interesting style, though, and could be the perfect gateway beer for twenty-something chicks who drink liquor laced with Red Bull and Sweet & Sour mixers. (1,136 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to akorsak for helping me check this style off my list! A sweetened lambic....hmmm.

A-Bright, clear copper with a thin off-white head that reduced to a ring and left decent lace.

S-Wet,musty wool, a touch of sulphur and strong honey sugary sweetness.

T-Very sweet with a honey like feel and a touch of vinegar sourness. This one though is all about the sweet! A sharp bite comes out in the background.

M-Medium-light bodied and syrupy smooth with a nice lingering residual sweetness and sour twang.

D-Not bad and certainly interesting but overall this one is too sweet for me. I would love to try a fresh, on tap and more? authentic offering of Faro. Guess I will have to go to Belgium to do so! (707 characters)

Thanks to kryptic for the heads up that I could locate this at the Andersons Market in Sylvania, OH. Shared with ksak and others (they know who they are, and they better thank me!).

A: The ale is an amber color that approximates a brown beer bottle. The ale is transparent, clear enough that I can see through it. A finger and a half of head left no trail.

S: The nose is sugary sweet, very similar to Lindemans' other lambic offerings without the fruit additions. A touch of funkiness reminds me of its Belgian heritage.

T: The faro is distressingly sweet. A sugary body of the pale candi variety dominate each sip. The ale takes on a cidery flavor, sweet beyond description. Par for the course for most of Lindemans' offerings. There is a funkiness below the candi sugars that is strong enough to remind you of its origins.

M: The mouthfeel is very pleasant, sweet and driven by candi sugars. The only difference between this and the fruit lambics is a touch of fruit juice.

D: Some may complain that this one doesn't count. To that I say, 'Nuts!' The lambic underbelly and candi sugar sweetness are a good one-two punch. (1,128 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Well what can I say it s a sweet and sour beer and as such quite interesting to drink. It smacks of apple and grapes with some faint caramel notes and almost tastes more like a cider than a beer.

The appearance is omewhat in line with that and the colour is somewhat reminicent of natural cloudy apple juice.

The smell is somewhat faint but fresh like an apple orchard and as such not bad. Drinkability is OK but the drink gets a bit acidic and sour after a while so... (471 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14%

Pours a hazy orange with a large white head. Lots of lacing as it goes down. The smell brings out some citrus, tart grapes and apples, and some malty sweetness. The taste is somewhat sour, but mostly refreshing sweetness. A little bit of earthiness. The body is medium and creamy; overall, this one was quite drinkable, and makes faro a style I'd like to seek out more of. (372 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a clear copper colour with a persistent off-white head. Pretty streams of carbonation flow through the glass.

Nicely sweet and sour aroma with some nice funky overtones working their way through the nose.

Good balance between sweet and sour. While I am a fan of really sour traditional lambics and gueuzes, this works for me. I get a strong vinous character with tart grapes, peaches and stonefruit playing a role. The significant sweetness doesn't overpower cutting the sweetness enough to mean that this doesn't have to be a sipper.

Medium bodied with a soft carbonation, this is easy enough to drink. I would probably like it to be a bit thinner but that is hard to do when it has been loaded up with unfermented sugars. A tasy, drinkable beer even if it goes against my penchant for mouth puckering, stupidly sour wild beers. (838 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - pours a coppery amber into a Lindemann lambic flute (one of the rare times I have the proper glassware from the actual brewery, so woo hoo!). A light off-white head springs up quickly and slowly yields until it is a thin cover with a high-necked collar.

Aroma - a light yeasty fruitiness, Belgian sugar adding a sweet side. The effervescence gives even the aroma a crispness of sorts. Light and unassuming for the most part.

Taste - rather sweet. In fact, very sweet. Mostly like drinking a sweet wine. The Belgian candi sugar rules here, allowing snippets of grain through. The wild yeast is really light, minimizing any funk of sorts. Fairly refreshing, although a bit cloying at length.

Mouthfeel - bubbly crisp, medium body.

Drinkability - I was really kind of intimidated by the style because of the unknown funk factor. Lindemanns is classic for sweeter variants of the lambic styles, so I'll certainly try another example of this limited class, but I enjoyed this and would have it again. (1,012 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a corked & capped green 355mL bottle. The beer is hazy , light copper colored, thin wet "spitty" looking foam. The aroma is so good, funky barnyard / horse saddle, & whatnot. A little bit of apple too. The taste is very sweet (added candi sugar based on the bottle description), probably about right for the style but really too sweet for me. I like the tart apple flavors and also the Belgian yeasty funk but the sugar makes it hard to drink much. Good thing it comes in small bottles. (498 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange brown hue with a tall off white head. Nice retention and leggy lace.

S: Lots of sweetness with hints of citrus, and sweet apple.

T: Sweet and sour real nice actually. Rock candy sweetness up front. Hints of sour lemon, green apple, and brown sugar malt.

M: Medium in body, nice sweet, tasty.

D: Good, It is one that should be shared, but it took care of it all by myself. (407 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%

355ml bottle, at Saint-Bock in Montreal.

This beer pours a slightly hazy, medium golden amber hue, with one skinny finger of soapy, thinly foamy off-white head, and some chunky, chippy sediment swirling about, and some low-lying seacoast lace around the glass as it quickly bleeds away.

It smells of rather bitter cherry and lemon 'fruitiness', weirdly tempered by a sense of out-of-place sugary sweetness, with a slightly understated acetic funkiness, and mildly gamey yeast. The taste is sweet lemon, cherry, and apple tartness, equally prominent candy sugar, a hint of generic coriander, crystallized orange peel, sour grain, and softly earthy yeast.

The carbonation is tame and duly frothy, the body a fairly solid medium-light weight, and a wee bit sticky. It finishes well off-dry, the candy sugar dueling a bit too winningly with the lingering stone fruit sweetness, and now ethereal barnyard funk.

I found this to be a very nice, if somewhat surprising opener to a warm summer evening abroad in my own country - light, but not so much so, and definitely sweet, with a hint of balance that allows one to end off with tongue intact, ready for more. (1,159 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, light brown-amber body with a few initial bubbles, though no appreciable head formation.

Smell: Sourish, tart, lightly musty wafts juxtaposed against a sweet, sugar-laced aroma.

Taste: Sugary sweet with touches of treacle to keep the mustiness at bay. Some subtle fruity tones of sour apricots and tart peaches. Even subtler herbal hints. Very small nibble of Colby cheese. The high degree of sweetness manages to hold back the tart and sour qualities, even through to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Fairly low amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Just as the overly sweet, simplistic Lindemans lambics rarely win me over, the same is true for their faro. I feel the humble faro could be better served by more prominent lambic produces. Now then, if I could only get my grimy mitts on the Cantillon or Girardin faro. (861 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Code LJ27HFA on the back

A: Pours a hazy rust color with a moderate frothy head. Lots of lacing.

S: Moderately funky with aromas of brown sugar and mixed fruit. Weird.

T: Quite sweet right off the bat - like eating a spoonful of sugar. A slight tartness is accompanied by citrus flavors and a tiny bit of wild funk.

M: Light yet syrupy and sticky. Light and super fine carbonation with a lasting sweetness.

D: My first faro, and I'm finding it quite unusual. A bit too sugary for me, but it's definitely palatable if you're into that. (539 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Slightly cloudy with very small head. Orange brown in color.

Smells... hmm... can't place it. Smells a bit fruity sweet.

Taste, the first few sips weren't doing it for me. My wife affectionately stated it tasted like sweetened tea with a barf aftertaste. Nice. The more I had, the better the taste got. I think my palate needed to get used to it. It almost tastes like it was in a barrel for a little while.

The taste is sour... a little like apple juice but with a bitter bite in the aftertaste. Not bad toward the 2nd half.

MF was nice after I got used to the way it feels with the aftertaste.

Seemed pretty easy to drink abut was too sweet to have more than one bottle. I had fun with this tasting and recommend that you try it if you see it and want a lambic. But, there are probably other, better options out there.

Hmmm... the barf aftertaste just hit again. Weird. I definitely wouldn't want to drink enough of this to be sick... man, that would be bad. (966 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

A - Pours medium gold to amber depending on the light and area of the glass under inspection. White head tops out at about half inch and has a creamy look to it. Retention is average and little to no lacing is left behind. Not much really stands out in this category.

S - Start out pretty sweet with aromas of caramel and hard candy. A light bread crust is able to follow but the sweetness really dominates all the way through. Toffee pops in at the very end. Smell is simple and to the point.

T - Sweet doesn't even begin to describe this beer. It's different. I'll give that much at least. Big dose of malt, caramel, straight liquid malt extract just crush the palate with sweetness. Somehow there are other flavors that are able to come in towards the background and compliment the sweet flavors. Some green apple and maybe a hint of cherry in there. The flavors do kind of work overall. Kind of.

M - Fuller bodied at first that dwindles to a lighter body toward the end with a light carbonation level. Finish is...sweet and too close to cloying for my taste. No surprise there.

D - Drinkibility is really not that great. The overwhelming sweet flavor really is hard to get past. Seems like the beer has a good amount of potential though. The apple that follows the sweetness in the flavor could work really well if it was a little stronger. This was my first experience with the style and although it is pretty average I can see giving the style another whirl to see what all could be done with it from other brewers. (1,528 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -50.3%

I like lambics. Earthy, funky, sour, weird...these are positive descriptors in my book when it comes to beer. I've visited Cantilon and really enjoyed the beers I tried there. But I did not like this beer one bit. It was sickeningly sweet and definitely gave me the impression that it wasn't done baking yet.

I should mention that this is my first Faro...in fact I think this is the last beer style on this site that I haven't tried. When I visited the Cantillon tasting room, I asked if they had any Faro available for tasting, and the lady behind the bar explained to me in broken English that Faro was not highly thought of...like it was a "low" style of lambic. And after having taste this beer, compared to the gueuze that I've had, this beer seems not very complex...instead it is sickeningly sweet, cereal-y, and unpleasantly astringent. This beer was dark and far maltier than I expected. Imagine a way too grainy beer, with a ton of some sort of sweeter-than-sugar artificial sweetener added. It also had a weird skunk smell when I first opened it, which dissipated after a few minutes.

I diidn't like it...and wouldn't recommend it to others. I bought this bottle at the Winerak in Zanesville, OH. (1,209 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just bought this small capped bottle from De Bier Tempel in Brussels. It was in the oooler for 1.85 euros.

Pours a dark amber with a bit thick creamy head.

Smell is strong sweet sugar and acidic vinegary lambic. A bit medicinal, not much else going on in the nose.

Taste is very, very sweet almost syrupy with a bit of citrusy lemon kick. It reminds me of the blended lambic I just had at a la becasse around the corner.

This is sort of a dessert beer slash beer that I would love if I was much younger and just getting into beer. The sweetness is a bit overpowering.

Overall, I can't say its a favorite but it certainly is something that is easy to drink. Its a good night cap after being up for 24 hours after landing in Brussels early this morning. (756 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%

This beer uncorked with a loud 'POP'. It poured as a caramel-like translucent brown color with a slight white head. Nice lace...the apperance is really inviting. The smell is nothing special. There's some twang and sugar...a little caramel and faint molasses. Young apples. It's an interesting smell, but there's no funk, and it's not terribly exciting. The taste is mostly sweet, and (as expected) sugary...a brown-sugar flavor with some caramel. The beer also has a nice tartness that could be a little more pronounced. The flavors do balance off of one another. Good body for the low alcohol brew. Not bad, it's very drinkable. (630 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Ok, so this should give me a rating for the faro style. Huge thanks to Nicholas for bringing me a couple of bottles of this. Good guy.

Pours a rather muddy, brown color with a decent head that never fully dies. Tons of sweet sugar and sugary berries in the nose. Too sweet? Quite possibly.

The taste is also overwhelmed by sweetness, with touches of dark berries trying to peek out from the candi sugar/brown sugar sweetness. Notes of raisins.

Super sweet. If you know what you are getting into with the style, this is a fun beer. But...if you don't like sweet, you will hate this beer. Also, almost no funk noted here...disappointed in that. (646 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -56.9%

I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. I'm not a fan of Lindeman's other lambics - too artificial and sugary sweet. I'd never had a faro, so I was excited. I thought this would be a little different. It is, but in a bad way. Popped the cork and poured very dingy and brownish into a lambic glass but with some nice reddish highlights. Not much head, as per the style. I almost didn't even want to take a sip after the first whiff. I can only compare it to a bowl of dog food that ol' Rufus spilled his water into and sat there for a few days. Moldy, soggy, dog food. Oh and a sweet sugaryness. Taste wasn't nearly so bad but not really good enough to redeem the beer. Just too sickly sweet, I can't do it. I need to try another faro now to see what's up for real with this style. Viscous chewy clumsy mouthfeel. Yuk. I wish I could be a little more positive but this was just pretty awful. Sorry Lindeman's. First drain pour in about 5 years. Too bad. (961 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle with cork.

Poured dark copper color with an average fizzy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Good barley wheat & yeast aroma. Medium body with tingly texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy sweet fruity flavor with a solid fruit and small alcohol bite finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a standout lambic. (349 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a caramel color with soda like bubbles that subside to nothing. Smells fruity, lots of apple and pear. Taste is very sweet and cidery. Mouthfeel is medium. Pretty tasty and easy drinkin. A little sweet for my taste but definitely more accessible than other lambics. (271 characters)

For all the talk I'd heard about this being extremely lowly carbonated, mine poured a nice finger and a half into a rich golden brown, slightly hazy. Head dissipates rapidly with minimal lacing but surprising retention. Nice glow to it.

Aroma is rich and complex, with funky barnyard notes against a variety of bready sugary tones. Slightly musty and apricoty.

The taste is unfortunately staggeringly sweet at first, a light golden brown sugar that overwhelms practically everything. The finish has a slight sour twang to it and a bit of a rusty bitter note, so it's not overpoweringly cloying on the back end, which is really all that keeps this drinkable.

Mouth is fine... holds up well, medium to light body. Sticks a bit long on the tongue.

About halfway through the sweetness, since it's not cloying, is something you adapt to. It doesn't build on itself. That said, it's not something I'd reach for again. (915 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Had a 25cl bottle at the Hopduvel restaurantin Ghent. The beer is sweet and and cidery, but still pleasant and was a decent enough pairing with my beer stew. The aftertaste did leave a decent sour tang, though compared to most lambics this is fairly simple. It had an odd, but interesting, stale bread aroma. Maybe that's supposed to happen with faros. I can't say I know. (372 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a very nice dark orange-copper color with some decent initial head and some very nice lacing. Very sweet scent, wheat malt with some candy sugar to it, along with a very slight spice that I can't place (pepper, coriander, ???). Great taste, excellent sweet beer with great malt, wheat, and sugar attributes, with just enough hops at the end to keep it from being overly unbalanced; again, a slight spiciness that's just at the edge of my tongue that I can't place. It goes down very smoothly. This would be a great beer for a wine drinker. (545 characters)

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans