Join our email list →

Faro | 4.20% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
4.19/5  rDev +14.8%

Kind of a weird pinkish orange. Thin head.

Wine-like, funky, sharp pungent aroma.

Complex sour, tart flavor. Fruity and sweet. Great flavor!

Medium bodied. Lightly carbonated. Smooth. Nice mouthfeel.

I'm just getting in to sour beers. This is one of my favorites so far. My first time trying a Faro. I like it.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Light lacing. Rosy colored. White head.

Smell: Smells like a lambic. No other aromas.

Taste: Sweet. Sour. funkiness. Wonderful

Mouthfeel: Heavy beer. Syrupy. slightly puckering

Overall: Very nice lambic. never had a faro but I'd try it again.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy ruby red color, foamy off-white head, good lacing, signs of active carbonation. Aroma is musty, wheat, tart and just a hint of sour. Flavor is sweet, caramel and apples. Body is light, tart and slightly acidic mouthfeel. Good beer.

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from the bottle, no freshness date

A - Pours a mostly clear chestnut brown with a thin head and minimal retention; loose lacing

S - Nose is sweet fruits followed by a big hit of tart sourness. Subtle hint of lemon and fermenting grapes.

T&M - Medium to fuller bodied with light carbonation. Lot's of sweet fruit, cherries, and sugary sweetness. Right behind it is a big hit of sour tart with a lemony edge, and a bit of carbonated grape juice. The sweet/sour combo is interesting. Finish interplays the two with a smack of sugary sweet, but it's the sour that resonates.

D - A tasty and interesting brew. Lot's of flavor at a low ABV; probably to lowest alcohol beer with the most flavor I've had.

3.87/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into champagne glass.

A: Dark copper color. Numerous very small carbonation bubbles peculating from bottom of glass. White head dissipated quickly. Lovely light lacing coated the glass with every sip taken.

S: Candied sugar, fruit basket of raspberry/cherry/sour apple/plum. Yeast & barnyard funk element.

T: Obvious sugar sweetness up front. Nice tartness tickling the tongue w/ sour cherry like fruit mixed with barnyard hay. Burnt sugar aftertaste, cleans up nicely leaving some cloying, but not a lot.

M: Rounded, carbonation tickles a bit. Sticky and a bit cloying.

O: Pretty sweet, but that is to be expected of this style, after all. I felt there was enough sour pull to go along with the sugars to keep it pretty pleasant and sessionable. Good partner with certain fruity tart like desserts, I'm sure. I'd have again.

2.41/5  rDev -34%

Pours a pretty dirty pink cranberry. Good head and a multitude of bubbles.

Nuts, yeast, hints of fruit - though I'm not sure which.. Musky wood.

Sweeter than I had anticipated. Tastes a lot like Sprite, or Mike's Hard Lemonade with a sour tinge.

Lots of soda-like carbonation. Clean and refreshing. Too sweet though.

A tad too straightforward and soda-like.

2.1/5  rDev -42.5%

This is one weird beer.
It has a slightly hazy red color and a semi-large but quickly disappearing head. There is also high carbonation present. The aroma is sweet and citrusy with some hops noticeable. Nothing bad yet. So, now the taste. I didn't know whether it's a cider, freshly made wine, or a homemade bear gone bad. It's sweet and really sour at the same time, plus there is too much carbonation here. Not the best combo really.

2.89/5  rDev -20.8%

375ml bottle poured into a tulip, my first Faro, not really sure what to expect...

Pours a murky dark rose color, with some plum as well. Two fingers of fine off-white head forms and recedes pretty quickly...

Wow, the aroma is exciting. Tart and acidic like your typical lambic, but the tartness is much more subdued and even has a slight overripe fruit aroma. Where the aroma really shines is in its mustiness, funky and earthy, wet hay...

Hmmm, I detect no tart or sour flavors in this beer at all. Over the top sweetness with no balancing flavors. Very much like a very sweet cheap champagne or one of those macro ciders, not my style at all. When you lick your lips after each sip, all you taste in candi-sugar...

Medium bodied with somewhat low carbonation. Slick and syrupy, eh...

Yea, not trying this one again. WAY too sweet, I need a Cantillon to wash out my mouth now...

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This amber-looking beer brings a slight (yes, slight) acidity in the aroma, together with apples, pears, barnyard ideas, cinnamon, and sugar/honey. The light body has a medium-high carbonation, and the aftertaste is short, malty (wheaty) and sweet - perhaps too sweet. Didn't impress me: doesn't have the complexity of the Gueuzes, or the expressiveness of the Flanders Sour Ales.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Looks like a bold apple cider. Few bubbles.
S: A little bitter smell but also sweet. Apples!
T: A lot sweeter than other Lindemans beer's I've had but I like that. It reminds me a lot of their Cuvée René having a lot of wine-like characteristics but the Faro is a lot sweeter. The initial tartness is replaced with a sweetness while maintaining a fruitiness of apples.
M: A medium body on this one. Sits bubble and smooth with some tartness that fades to a nice dry linger.

Overall another great beer my Lindemans. When I saw the initial low rating I was skeptical but I think this beer is better than any of the fruit styles. I quite liked the Cuvée René better but this is another great showing. Certainly for people with a sweet tooth but I found it to be a great showing.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

elegant Jugendstil label ....
pours a beautiful bronze colour, with a firm foamy head ...
smell is very fresh and soury ...
taste goes into caramelized apples, a bit of wild cherries, very sweet and very sour .... certainly a great thirst quencher ...

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

Not a lambic fan but a friend offered me a bottle and I didn't deny the opportunity to try something new.

Poured a light amber tan with a thin half-finger of white head. Head departs rather quickly, leaving no lacing.

Smells of sugar and fruit, very sweet.

Taste is extremely sweet, to sweet for me, and the sweetness overpowers what subtle hints of fruit and maybe brown sugar there are.

Mouthfeel is very crisp and sharp due to the high amount of carbonation, almost seems like this beer is a carbonated candy liqour as opposed to a beer.

Drinkability is average at best. This is way to sweet for me to drink more than once and I'm not a fan of lambics to begin with.

3.07/5  rDev -15.9%

Lindemans Faro drinks pretty much like an apple juice infused gueuze. Plenty of candied apple, some pear. The problem is an unwelcome bombardment of sweetness. Where I wish I would find increased tartness, its more layers of sugar. However, the finish is pretty good. The way the sweetness lingers and mixes up with some unexpected must is interesting.

The aroma is more enjoyable than the taste. It contains more funk, sour apple, and only a hint of the sweetness to follow on the tongue. This may (or may not) be a good example of the style, but I cant get into this beer. Still, not entirely undrinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a fancy bottle (silver foil top, cork under the cap!) into a schooner. No obvious best before on the bottle.

A - clear amber with an initially huge, fluffy head (2 fingers) that leaves behind some chunky lacing.

S - sour apple, yeasty and a hint of skunk in the background, slightly astringent

T - exceptionally refreshing: controlled tartness runs throughout the entire experience, sour apple, ripe fruit, with a hint of skunk in the background, some orange rind on the back of the tongue. Just a hint of initial sweetness is totally destroyed by the sour.

M - light with an explosive shot of carbonation on each fresh swig, sourness sticks in the back of the throat with a vengeance

D - quite drinkable if you can adapt to the sourness

Very interesting and refreshing. Not yet familiar with the Faro style of Lambic, but I'll definitely be researching this style. This beer is delightful if you're a sour fan. Not for the faint of heart!

[Very interesting reading the other reviews as I don't get the extreme sweetness - it's there initially, but for me is totally destroyed by the sour elements. It's not the bottle as my wife found it super sweet. Perhaps I'm a freak!]

[After a bit of research it seems to be the difference between a sip and a swig - if you're doing small sips, this seems really sweet; if you take a few big swigs the sourness just sticks in your throat and dominates. Interesting implication for tasting styles.]

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: One finger of white fluffy head quickly turns into just a thin layer. Beer is much darker than I imagined. It's a rich caramel color. A lot of large chunks of yeasty sediment in the glass.

S: A rich sweet tartness permeates throughout the entire bouquet. Caramel exists throughout too. Very acidic quality. A dark fruitiness is there in the back as well.

T: It immediately strikes me how sweet this is. Past that it tastes like a regular lambic. There's a rich acidic quality. Some mild fruitiness exists that plays off of some oakiness. It finishes tart and with a bready yeastiness.

M: Fairly creamy, medium body with a light carbonation. Sourness is lightly astringent as well.

O: It's difficult because I'm not a fan of this style. It's far too sweet for me. Maybe if this 16 oz bottle was half or maybe just having 4 oz. with dessert, but a traditional lambic would still be far superior. So from what I read this is all approximately true to style. I'll give it a slightly above average 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured a clear brown into a stang. A frothy head rapidly collapses. No lacing. Moderate carbonation which sticks around for a while. Complex spicy smells. Amazing balance between sweet and sour. There is sweetness there but almost perfectly balanced by the sour base notes. Moderate body. Drinkability is good. I would drink another if I had one. In the end the sweetness would get you though.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Really dark orange almost brown, clear body, small off white head that leaves some lacing.

S- Yeast, sugar, the yeast seems almost sweet in itself, some slight sour aroma.

T- Sour green apple juice, green grapes, some white wine quality, caramelized sugars.

M- Wet feel throughout the drink, moderate carbonation.

O- Decent Faro, at times it was just too sweet for my palette and I felt it was lacking balance in that aspect. Good for the ladies.

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this in my favorite beer haunt in the bottle. Wanted to try this type.

Poured into a tulip glass, I had more fuzziness than a head that some of the other raters/reviewers are talking about. No lacing at all. Head disappeared into small ring of effervescent bubbles.

Aroma has a hint of sour with a sweet, fruity background, almost similar to a sparkling wine.

Taste was more sweet than sour, but with a little almost brett background….as it warmed, I got some of the "horse blanket" smell and taste, similar to Orval's. It was pleasant, however, just not really what I was expecting. More sour than the other fruit lambics by Lindemans'

Very medium body, finishes rather crisp, almost like a dry cider.

Overall, I would try again on tap, but probably wouldn't buy in the bottle. As I said, wanted to try this style, and it is harder to find.

2.7/5  rDev -26%

Tulip.

A: Opaque, tea-like brown. Very little carb, with a thin white ring lining the edge of the glass. Little to no lacing.

S: Watery. Very light touch of sourness, and a vague trace of prunes and soy sauce. This is my first faro, but the nose is not what I expected from this style.

T: Okay, I wanted to try this style, but the candied sugar addition seemed to me like a good way of ruining a perfectly fine lambic. The taste fully supports my preconceived notions. The funky must of the lambic peaks through the out-of-place sweetener, clashing in the process. A strong phenol presence. Off cider. Overly sweet fruit.

M: Not bad, not great. Just there. A little dryness towards the back end.

O: I understand that the beer needs to be appreciated in the context of the style, so I will judge it accordingly. But I will not be drinking a faro again.

4.31/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance – Pours a dark, clear amber color, with a big white head and light lacing.

Smell – A bit sour like a gueuze, but the candied sugar is more dominant. I think the candied sugar is subtle raspberry; it might even be unflavored.

Taste – Taste starts with the gueuze, but is quickly overtaken by the candied sugar, which is a nice change from the sourness of a gueuze. No sour aftertaste at all.

Mouthfeel – Crisp, with a pleasant sweetness and perfect but somewhat light carbonation. Leaves little aftertaste.

Drinkability – Highly drinkable as it leaves no sour aftertaste. Much more drinkable than a typical gueuze.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz. bottle received as a extra from Exiled. Thanks a bunch man!

A- Pours an orange-tinted brown with a finger and a half of white head. Leaves some pretty nice lacing.

S- Some tart yeasty funk with some grassy notes and some lemony citrus. Reminds me of other Lindeman's products I've had.

T- Starts with a slight tartness before the candi sugar takes over. Very sugary sweetness plays with the malt and yeast throughout. I like it, but definitely could get cloying.

M/D- Smooth and fizzy mouthfeel makes this go down pretty easy, but the sweetness gets to be a bit much eventually.

My first Faro, and I'm glad to have tried it. A very unique style, I've never tasted a beer where sugar takes such a prominent role. Works fairly well with the tartness of the lambic. I'd say its worth a try.

Vintage March 2010
Appearance
dark amber 2 inches of white head decent lacing around rim of glass
Smell
of sour apples and sweet Syrup
Taste
is very sweet almost like old Apple juice
Mouth feel
Thin and very crisp leaves a bit of a sweet covering on your lips
Overall
Very good a lot sweeter than most in the style but quite good

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

poured 12 ounce bottle in flute
A: brown with a thin white head.

S: funky, skunky, musty, and yeasty

T: sweet, Champaign like with out the dryness, great funky sourness, I like this it is good just a bit too sweet.

M: sweet finish, it is refreshing in a weird sort of way.

D: I can not handle much more than a small glass of most lambics but this is one of the best i have had I like the raw qualities that are not masked by fruit. none the less a 12 ounce bottle is all i can handle.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

This is my 100th BeerAdvocate review. I decided to save a special beer for this occasion. This will be my first adventure into the world of Faro and Lambics in general. Not many beers have both a bottle cap AND a cork! This should be interesting to say the least. This will be a bit of a review of my opinion of the style in addition to the beer itself.

This beer is VERY heavily carbonated. It pours a pale amber colour almost akin to apple juice. There is a ton of carbonation rising up to the top, forming a nice foamy finger of off-white head. It definitely doesn't look like most other beers.

The smell is quite spicy. There are notes of cloves and possibly cinnamon coming through. There is also a strong cidery-sweetness coming through. Some aspects of the aroma are almost champagne-like.

The flavour is definitely interesting! It's very tart, but it is perfectly balanced by the sweetness. This combination is not very beer-like in my experience, but it certainly doesn't taste bad. The herbal notes come through towards the end, but are subtle.

Overall, this is definitely not what I think of when I'm wanting a beer. It's almost a beverage in a class on its own. I suppose this is probably the case with all the lambic beers. It definitely isn't bad though. It could compliment some meals well... I think that once you get past the fact that it doesn't taste like a normal beer, it is easier to appreciate the flavours going on. I don't know when I'll have this again, but I certainly won't avoid it.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Head small, very short-lived. After a few seconds almost completely reduced in the middle of the remaining small amount of glass bubbles.
Smell very dry, grapes, cherries, sugar, slightly candied fruit, floral notes but also dark, old lemon.
Saturation more than average, nice tickles the tongue. Faro taste is amazing, light tea with lemon, grapes, sour cherries in sweet pickle, cherries, raspberries, old, watery - stewed fruits strawberries. There is also a sugar candy, slightly scorched. Each sip brings a light stone bitterness, and the finish is heavily seasoned, very stimulating sour taste buds and salivary glands. Alcohol very well hidden. Smooth texture and even velvet, super.
In Faro, you can either love or hate them. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans