Lindemans Faro Lambic - Brouwerij Lindemans

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

ABV varies slightly
3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

poured 12 ounce bottle in flute
A: brown with a thin white head.

S: funky, skunky, musty, and yeasty

T: sweet, Champaign like with out the dryness, great funky sourness, I like this it is good just a bit too sweet.

M: sweet finish, it is refreshing in a weird sort of way.

D: I can not handle much more than a small glass of most lambics but this is one of the best i have had I like the raw qualities that are not masked by fruit. none the less a 12 ounce bottle is all i can handle. (488 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

This is my 100th BeerAdvocate review. I decided to save a special beer for this occasion. This will be my first adventure into the world of Faro and Lambics in general. Not many beers have both a bottle cap AND a cork! This should be interesting to say the least. This will be a bit of a review of my opinion of the style in addition to the beer itself.

This beer is VERY heavily carbonated. It pours a pale amber colour almost akin to apple juice. There is a ton of carbonation rising up to the top, forming a nice foamy finger of off-white head. It definitely doesn't look like most other beers.

The smell is quite spicy. There are notes of cloves and possibly cinnamon coming through. There is also a strong cidery-sweetness coming through. Some aspects of the aroma are almost champagne-like.

The flavour is definitely interesting! It's very tart, but it is perfectly balanced by the sweetness. This combination is not very beer-like in my experience, but it certainly doesn't taste bad. The herbal notes come through towards the end, but are subtle.

Overall, this is definitely not what I think of when I'm wanting a beer. It's almost a beverage in a class on its own. I suppose this is probably the case with all the lambic beers. It definitely isn't bad though. It could compliment some meals well... I think that once you get past the fact that it doesn't taste like a normal beer, it is easier to appreciate the flavours going on. I don't know when I'll have this again, but I certainly won't avoid it. (1,517 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a brown amber color, slightly hazy, with a white foam cap that sit on top of the beer. Lots of fine carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass. Good retention and below average lacing.

Aroma is very pleasant with sweet and fruity notes (such as cherries and raspberries as well as lemon, oranges and other citric fruit) mingling with light funky/barnyard acidic sourness.

Taste is candy sweet at first, transitioning to vinegary and acidic notes a little later. A light funky/farmhouse note is perceptible in the middle of the sip but it does not last for long. It finishes with a low bitterness that mingles paradoxically with the residual sweetness (now way lighter than before), leaving the palate with sweet citric notes such as oranges and tangerines during the aftertaste. Interesting.

Body is medium to light with high carbonation that is kind of agressive on the back of the throat. Highly drinkable.

A one of a kind beer that despite its high carbonation it is still a very sweet. It is a nice gateway beer for people that are geting started on sours and lambics. (1,088 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz. bottle received as a extra from Exiled. Thanks a bunch man!

A- Pours an orange-tinted brown with a finger and a half of white head. Leaves some pretty nice lacing.

S- Some tart yeasty funk with some grassy notes and some lemony citrus. Reminds me of other Lindeman's products I've had.

T- Starts with a slight tartness before the candi sugar takes over. Very sugary sweetness plays with the malt and yeast throughout. I like it, but definitely could get cloying.

M/D- Smooth and fizzy mouthfeel makes this go down pretty easy, but the sweetness gets to be a bit much eventually.

My first Faro, and I'm glad to have tried it. A very unique style, I've never tasted a beer where sugar takes such a prominent role. Works fairly well with the tartness of the lambic. I'd say its worth a try. (799 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

Tasted from bottle at Lush Roscoe. Pours dark, sparkling amber with a large white head that quickly recedes to lace. The aroma is slightly sour with a sweet note, a hint of red wine vinegar, and a vegetal quality as well. The flavors are slightly sweet and sour with red wine vinegar and some fruitiness. Body is medium with sparkling carbonation and a medium malty and tart finish. (382 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

Presentation: 375ml corked, capped, and foiled. Raised imprint of BL on the lower neck of the bottle. Stamp: L C29JFA 9844.

Appearance: Very slightly hazy golden amber color. Small tan head forms quickly and dissipates just as quickly.

Aroma: Caramel sweetness with a tangy acidic quality and notes of barnyard funk.

Taste: Sweet and sour at the same time. Very thick bodied beer with an overpowering sweetness upfront and dries out with a mouth puckering tartness mid-taste , with the Belgian dark candi sugar sweetness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied at first but finished with a thin dryness in the end.

Notes: I've had other faro before and it just isn't the same when it's in the bottle. The sweetness is just a little too strong and cloying and for the mouthfeel is too heavy than having one made fresh at the bar in Belgium. I do like that it is in a 375ml, because all that Belgian candi sugar is too much to drink much more than that. (955 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer pours a deep copper amber with some brown highlights. It has a pretty compact head that lasts long and sticks to the glass pretty well.
This beer smells like a regular Gueuze, funky sour and lactic but it also has a caramelness to it. This is most likely due to the sugar.
This beer tastes sour, funky and lactic upon the first sip but the sugar makes itself present within a few seconds. It's a real pure cane sugar flavor. This is pretty much balanced equally between sweet and sour. Although it moght be a tad too sweet for my preferences. I'm also getting some sour apple and caramel in the taste.
All in all it is a pretty refreshing beer that has a nice carbonation. (684 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

A-clear coppery color with minimal head. Does hold a slight head while drinking though around the glass.

S-has that sour/funk smell I have grown to love but has a slight soapy smell in it too. good just not super good.

T-I cannot beleive this is a Lindeman's. Taste is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting like there other fruity lambics but was still sweet for what it is. I enjoy the sweetness though. Has a sour note on the back of the tongue and some cherryness, but not powerful at all. It also has a bit of the funk. I just brewed a batch of my own beer with Candi Sugar and can really taste it in here too but not too much in my opinion.

M-slightly syrupy which isn't bad for this style.

Overall, I will buy again. (727 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours a healthy ruddy hue, capped with a respectable cherry blossom-colored head. Cute.

Smell is various fruit esters, vanilla yogurt, and pancake syrup (not maple syrup), with just a little funkiness -- but even that's more of a mustiness, an old chalkboard kind of vibe.

Taste is very one-dimentional, reeking of candi-sugar and immature sweetness, with just a splash of authentic lambic character, which emerges in a soft crab-apple finish.. Sort of like old vanilla soda that had an ounce of Cantillon spilled into it by mistake, and maybe not even that much. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is fine, but not going to be the saving grace of this one at this point.

Drinkability is not great. One bottle was worth the try, but there's no way I can see myself buying another (even though sightings of it are rare to begin with.)

A wimpy lambic. No mas, senor. (874 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Faro is a unique Lambic. I always enjoy learning and trying Lambics, as they are (usually) naturally firmented. Faro is much sweeter than Gueuze. If you like sweet, I would stick with a Kriek or Framboise. If you don't like sweet beers, then go with the Gueuze. (261 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%

A- A clear amber color, visible carbonation bubbles that rise up to a small white head that dissipates rather quickly. No lacing to be found on my glass.

S- Not familiar with this style, but I'm not picking up any sweetness from the candied sugar. Funk & sour apples dominate the nose. Smells like Lambic to me!

T- Faint flavors of Brett and then a wallop of sugar and sweetened berries hit you. The aftertaste has some sour apple/cherries and tart lemon, but it remains very sweet as well.

M- Sugary feel on the teeth and tongue. Body feels medium, soft carbonation.

D- I didn't find this easier to drink than Lambic, but the flavors are nice just a bit to cloying for my liking. I definitely enjoyed this much more when it was chilled. It's probably a good place to start for someone looking to try Lambic for the first time. I think a wine drinker may like this as well. (877 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a Lindemans flute

Looks like

Smells like: Leather, dark fruit such as cherries and currants, vinegar and some vague sweetness.

tastes like: Sweet and sour, the sweetness is rather generic and vague and the sourness combines with it to remind me of something like very sugary but balanced lemonade, just a hint of blunt bitterness

feels like: Medium carbonation, medium body a very dry finish

It's an easy drinker, lots of fun little nuances, nothing offensive about it. It's my first Faro and I'm interested to taste more of the style. (552 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Lindeman's Faro

Served in New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours sunset orange with a minimal head that shows little retention. Medium effervescence.

S: Light sour and musty notes. Actually, the mustiness was pungent at first, but that softens as the beer opens up. Some fruitiness, which ranges from artificial to natural. Subtle wood.

T:  Yes, there is the sweetness, which is sugary like a pop. Then comes a mild sourness, along with some intense, concentrated fruit notes of apple, berry and grape. The flavor fades away. Residual fruit and sweetness comprise finish.

M: Light but syrupy body and medium carbonation, which effectively lifts the body. Reminds me of a sparkling grape juice.

O: I'm reasonably sure this is not a particularly faithful representation of a Faro. I would liken Lindeman's Faro to the fruit ales in New Glarus' portfolio, a comparison that works in its favor. If it were more available and a bit cheaper, this beer could become a guilty pleasure. Plus, the wife loves it.  (1,018 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 37,5cl bottle into a chalice.

A - Rich dark amber colour. Very little head.

S - Port and cherries.

T - Underlying sourness which is only just noticeable - fairly well masked by the sugar. Big cherry flavour with a sugar kicker. Almost a bier de garde but a bit sweeter.

M - Mild carbonation and fizz, probably closer to a dr pepper than a normal beer. Sweet and refreshing without doing an awful lot.

D - Easy to knock back.. (447 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6%

undated bottle, poured into champagne flutes.

A- Pours a crisp transparent brown amber, some sparkling bubbly head forms.

S- Tart unripe green apples, a pretty funky & wild tone, a mild sweetness. A little dirty earthy aroma.

T- Very sweet. Doesn't match smell. A light tartness on top of heavy sweet apple juice.

M- Pretty intense on palate. bold, lingers well. Slightly acidic on teeth, wet on tongue.

O- A good take on this lambic varietal. Very easy to drink, but far to sweet for me. The girlfriend liked it quite a bit. (531 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

This Faro has a dark red Amber colour. But gives only a small head. It has a medium acidity. It smells like a very sweet Geuze. The odour reminds me of very sweet chemical fruit supplements, with the sour-bitterness of a Geuze. The taste is a combination between a Geuze and a fruit beer but they have not succeeded in combining them in one harmonic beer or taste. The chemical fruit taste totally takes over. Very typical for the Lindemans beers. They are all very sweet and really not bitter, not even their Geuze. Lindemans is known for it’s Woman beers. Very commercial tastes, but not the real deal. Again I am disappointed in this brewer.
There is hardly an aftertaste, again the chemical fruity taste that leaves my throat with a very dry sensation. It is an easily drinkable beer but not for me.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat. (837 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Dark amber hue in color, off white fine bubbled head gloppy lacing as the beer goes bye bye.

Smell is sweetly acetic, like sweet red wine vinegar. Some brown sugar and light black pepper notes as well.

Taste is relatively different than the smell Very sweet throughout most of the palate progression with some light notes of that red wine vinegar smell cropping up towards the finish. It's oddly candy like until the finish.

Mouthfeel starts a bit airy in nature and progresses to a slightly slick middle with a mild carbonation throughout.

Overall not too bad. I would like to try more of the style before making any further judgements in this category. It's a bit too sweet for my liking and a bit odd in the smell and taste category but I hear that's fit to style. (774 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Reviewed on 24 November 2010.

Poured into two 10oz snifters and shared with my girlfriend. Bottling stamp shows "L H14IFA" meaning that it was bottled on 14 August 2009 (Lindemans told me how to decipher the date -- I'd be happy to share with you). Color is a clear, deep amber-orange, light film head, no lacing. Aroma of light funk, brown sugar, smells like champagne does. Tastes of bret and some other wild bacteria (still no expert with sours, but I know at least know bret), sweet brown sugar, slight cinnamon, and leaves a "sour apple cider" taste on the tongue. I know there's no such thing, but it's a combination of sour apple and apple cider. The bubbles attack the tongue and then disappear. My first faro lambic was pretty delightful. (748 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass. Appearance is light copper with faint shades of red. Good carbonation.

Smell is more sour than I had anticipated. Some funkiness. My mouth is watering already

The taste is interesting. It's definitely sweeter than the nose lets on. Some grapes and other vine fruits are in there. Very surprised. Not entirely thrilled, but decent

Mouthfeel is fine. Smooth

Overall-- decent. I don't think I'd go out of my way to buy it again. It's nice, light and fruity. I went to this blind, and it is my first Faro I've had, so I don't know how representative this is of the style. But glad to have tried it. Cheers (642 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a cloudy deep golden amber with a huge fluffy white head that laces well. Aroma of pear, green apple citrus and hint of lambic funk and sourness. Taste was a sweet front followed by some lambic tartness poking it's way through the sweetness. Finish was refreshingly crisp. Mouthfeel was smooth and slightly sticky. A good refreshing beer, but I prefer unsweetened lambics as a rule. (388 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Reddish Amber color with a thin white head with little to no lacing. Smell; Very sour, almost pungent. The taste is sweeter than the aroma which is surprising, like a sweet tart, pleasant actually. Mildly carbonated, dry and a little bitter. Overall: A very good refreshing lambic, definitely worth a try. (305 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into my Chouffe N'ice Goblet. This is my first Faro, had no idea what to expect. A very clear amber color, very little head, recedes to nothing. No visible bubbles, but it's carbonated. Looks like a hard cider. Smells sorta ciderish as well. Brown Sugar. Apple. Spicy. And the lambic funkiness hiding in the background. Not too much hint of the coming tartness. Light tartness on the front end. Very full bodied candied sugar flavor. Really well rounded. Tart red apple flavors. Medium tart finish. A little funkiness lingers on the back of my tongue. Nice little bubbles as I swish. I really dig this. (629 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured amber with thin head which quickly disapated. Full funky aroma...much more than expected and a lot more brett than I get from many wild ales. Also some grape skin and musty odors like the storage cellar of a brewhouse. Taste has some nice sour notes, but is naturally overcome by the syrupy sweetness. I really wish it was a little less sweet, which would have made it much more drinkable. I also couldn't help but wish the other Lindemans products (fruit lambics) had this level of funk.
Mouthfeel and finish were quite good. Overall, interesting and almost very good, but it is still a faro after all. I think this would be rated much higher if not for the reviews from people who didn't know what to expect from this style. (737 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

12oz from eBI for 5.50.

looks amber fizzy perfectly clear, some lacing

smell soapy funky sugary.

taste sweet, tart, oh this is great. whether good compared to other members of the style, this is addicting. i love sugar more than most people and the sour notes in these lambics are so appealing already...

mouthfeel is very good, thick enough, coating

there's only 7 beers of this type brewed right now according to this site. try whatever one you can get your hands on. (474 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours a light golden brown with one finger head that fades quickly.

S - Sour apple, slight musty funk, raspberry.

T - Starts out with a sweetness right up front followed by a pleasantly tart semi-dry finish. Candy sugar is very apparent and somewhat overpowers the tartness at the end.

M - Light to medium and drying at the finish.

O - Interesting beer but a bit too sweet for my taste. Good variance between sweet and sour. Reminds me of a hard cider. (460 characters)

Lindemans Faro Lambic from Brouwerij Lindemans