Overbite IPA - Old Forge Brewing Company

Overbite IPAOverbite IPA

Old Forge Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: gestyr on 12-30-2010)

bigdipip, Jul 31, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

This beer is simply underrated. It is by far one of the best IPAs that I've had. The body and hoppiness is a little lighter then the crown jewel (Headytopper) but it's got to be the most refreshing 7.5%abv IPA that I have ever tasted.

The grapefruit and pine taste are out of this world. Although the body in a little thinner than a double IPA the taste is all there. At a 75 IBU the bitterness and ABV are balanced astonishing well.

If you are a hop head that loves more than just IPAs (the stouts and porters) you'll absolutely fall in love with this masterpiece.

TimNovo, Sep 07, 2013
4.54/5  rDev +18.8%

I had picked this up on a recent visit to The Foodery (Northern Liberties) and put it aside while emptying bottles that had built up, but it is time to get back to The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "We strive to honor personal craftsmanship. Our handcrafted beer is made in small batches to ensure quality and peak freshness. Brewed and CANned by Old Forge Brewing Company, Danville, PA."; "Overbite India Pale Ale is an Ameri[CAN] IPA with bug malt character giving perfect balance to the abundance of Pacific Northwest hops."; "Forging Better Beer".

The Crack was music to my ears and the inverted Glug was a sight to behold. I created a finger of thick, tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was minty, like winter in an evergreen forest. Listen, do you hear it?!? It's a screeching goldang monkey and it's on my back! I am not a hophead, I am a hop addict and beers like this only feed my addiction. Mouthfeel was medium but the searing bite of the hops was working to scrub away all of the weak and dead or dying taste buds on my tongue so that I could more thoroughly enjoy the taste. My heart was thumping like it wanted to burst from my chest and I covered my ears to try and drown out the monkey's howling. It began to worm its way into my tongue like a drop of hydrofluoric acid. I was reaching for a pair of pliers with which to extract my burning tongue from my head when suddenly a rush of euphoria hit me like an oncoming train and I fell over backwards from my chair. I felt the monkey crush underneath my weight and I took a deep breath. It was like a menthol inhaler. What malt?!? This was hops, baby! The finish was cool and minty and I decided to forgo mouthwash this evening. Let's do this again real soon.

I almost forgot to mention - another word for an overbite is "a malocclusion" and there was nothing mal- about this beer.

woodychandler, May 23, 2013

JohnGoodwin3, Aug 01, 2013

Phillyz, Jun 19, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

First time try for this Northeast Pa. brewery. Drank from 16oz can poured into appropriate glass. Very pleasantly surprised. Great Taste. Grapefruit notes with a touch of blood orange at the end. The hop presence is definetly there, but still maintains a nice balance. Very Fresh. Very reasonably priced with 16oz can a plus.

Sirbaron, Dec 23, 2012

Dbot, Apr 10, 2013

Beerme09, Dec 27, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is fantastic. I'm pleasently surprized at the offerings so far from Old Forge although this is only my second from them. But man what a second.
This brew has a big hop bouquet of citrus and pine with some easy malts backing up.
The appearance though is a bit wanting. A small head. The head fast receeded to a simple collar, though that collar lasted a long while. The pure amber color is crystal clear.
Taste is bold and assertive as like most of the well known WCIPA'a. hops have a floral taste. Malts have a bready doughy taste towards the end making for me a well balanced taste. Smooth drinking clean with a bitter aftertaste.
Ranks right there with sculpin and furious though needs alittle help in rentention.
Posted here first I think Old Forge is going to be a PA powerhouse.

micromaniac129, Nov 17, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-yellow gold with an almost complete lack of head which I find disturbing.

S-really strong scent of hops with a mix of citrus and herbs. Fairly malty. Good scent.

T-comes in with a taste of herbs and hops and grains. It's a strong flavor which I like. It's a straightforward flavor with out any sub flavors and lasts in to a nice long lasting after-taste.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-this is a pretty fair IPA. I'm surprised its scores aren't higher. The flavors could be more hoppy and fresh. There could be more bitterness. But it's drinkability is key here. I could have many cans of this.

AdamBear, May 14, 2013

nstroup, Apr 14, 2013

zzombie, Feb 16, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured out of can into snifter. I knew nothing of this brewey beforehand. No date on can, bummer. I was a littler leary of buying an IPA w/o a date. I got lucky! It did not taste old at all - quite fresh. Great hop aroma (citrus and mostly pine). Flavor is that of other fresh IPAs. Firm bitterness and great hop flavor. Mouthfeel is perfect, not too thin and not too heavy. I'm drinking this as my first beer of the day and I am pleasantly surpised. Go out and try some!

beerCrafter2011, Dec 11, 2012

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Old Forge Overbite IPA
16 oz. can, no apparent freshness dating
$2.69 @ Beer Heaven, Philadelphia, PA

Appearance: Clear deep amber body with a bit of an orange-ish cast. Creamy off-white head. Head retention and lacing are good.

Aroma: Hoppy! Citrus (grapefruit, tangerine) and light pine. Somewhat floral as well.

Taste: As expected, hoppy but balanced by a nice, golden-caramel malt base. Solidly bitter. Dry finish with fading, grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Gently crisp carbonation.

Overall: A pretty impressive IPA. It's not so much what it is, as what it isn't. It isn't overdone with hops, and the malt base is kept straight-forward. Nicely balanced and well-rounded.

NeroFiddled, Mar 04, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served: On-tap in a frosty-chilled goblet.

Golden caramel in color - slightly cloudy.

Decent greeting of hop aroma, somewhat piney.

Solidly hoppy IPA, but not as bitter as I expected. Crisp with a flavor that doesn't especially linger. Good choice for a not-wussy IPA. Would certainly have again, but didn't rock my hop world. :)

HuaJiao, Jun 24, 2013
4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Tjones43, Aug 23, 2014
4.09/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a standard pint glass, color is copper, transparent, great off white to light tan head that is dense and thick, head laces well along the outside of the glass.

Smell is subdued, mostly toasted malt flavors upfront; as it warms the hops come through, earthy bitterness, some pine and lighter citrus.

Taste is pretty solid, nice light toasted malt, clean sweetness, nice hop flavor, bursts of pine and citrus, lemon prominent, light earthiness. great flavor balance from a stronger ipa.

Mouthfeel is very well balanced, hop bitterness presents upfront with a lingering sweetness and bitterness that work well, good carbonation but it doesnt overpower.

Overall, this is a great brew, easy drinking, almost a strong pale ale with its solid malt backbone, but a good, simple hop palate that is strong enough to back up the ipa moniker. another great brew from Old Forge.

mvanaskie13, Dec 05, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

16oz can into tulip.

A - Clear amber with a huge white head.

S - A blast of pine, citrus, and grapefruit hops. Hints of sweet caramel malt.

T - Citrus and grapefruit supported by a toasted caramel malt backbone. Finishes with a light earthy piney bitterness and lingering sweet graininess.

M - Creamy and smooth, medium bodied. Crisp mild carbonation, slightly dry finish.

O - This is a great IPA. Balanced and flavorful, definitely on the sweeter side, but the hop profile is pretty solid. Love the 16oz can.

mooseo, Jul 18, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +6%

This beer poured out as a nice burnt orange color with a solid looking white head on top. The retention and lacing as strong on this one. The smell of the beer is fresh and hoppy smelling. There are some subtle malt aromas but not much. The taste is nicely balanced with citrusy pine hops and a sweetness from the malt. The mouthfeel is smooth, gently carbonated and very drinkable. Overall it's a pretty solid IPA, can't find much to dislike about this one.

Knapp85, Dec 16, 2012