Imperial IPA - Garrison Brewing Company

Imperial IPAImperial IPA

Garrison Brewing Company visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

Beer added by: MMansfield on 08-11-2007

Launched and enthusiastically received at the first annual Halifax Seaport Beer Fest in August 2007, this ale has quickly become known as the hoppiest beer in Atlantic Canada! Unfiltered Imperial I.P.A. is a robust, full-bodied and complex brew in the Double IPA style. An intensely fruity aroma combines nicely with a malty caramel backbone, clear hop bitterness and lingering citrusy finish. This beer is for the true hophead!

This beer was previously known as Garrison Imperial Pale Ale.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 201 | Reviews: 119
4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

500ml into DFH signature glass.

A- Hazy orange/copper pour. Finger width white head, carbonation is barely visible deep within the glass. Lacing is great and sticky, just sheets the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet candied sugar, piny fresh hops. Mild citrus tones. Subtle maltiness and faint strawberries.

T- Floral hop bitterness ravaging my tongue. Long dry finish, with subtle citrus notes. Toasted malts and faint caramel.

M- Medium bodied, dry finish. Bitterness continues in your mouth long after your sip. Sticky sweet on the lips.

D- Very easy drinking DIPA. Glad I got to enjoy this one, it was a real treat.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured out a cloudy orange. Couple fingers worth of off-white (nearly yellow) head. Grapefruit smacks me in the nose, with some herbal and grassy notes, and just a faint caramel poking through here and there. Tastes strongly of bitter citrus, grapefruit, grassy, earthy, and delicious. Caramel sweetness took me by surprise with its nice balance. Hints of alcohol near the finish, but it's basically bitter through and through. Robust body, low carbonation, and surprisingly smooth. Very high drinkability, gives big beer flavour in a relatively low-alcohol package.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I bought this bottle at the Brewery in Halifax two days ago and enjoyed it today at home in West Hill. It's been in the bottle about three weeks is my guess.

Generous three finger head off the pour, dense foamy with great retention and lace. Cloudy orange colour with a lot of haze, I may have hurried the pour? Very citrusy nose with fruit zest and pine aromas. Tastes like one heckuva good DIPA! Having said that, some of the more highly-hopped American DIPA's are a bit off the map for this reviewer, this strikes a great balance with medium-high bitterness considering the style. Grapefruit taste predominates with ample malt backbone and mouthfeel, nicley done. I'm not getting a lot of the caramel other reviewers describe. Lingering zesty finish with cleansing and refreshing mouthfeel, a touch of sourness adds another dimension. Alcohol very well handled.

As far as I'm concerned, everything comes together quite well for this beer, it's the best I've had from my Halfiax tall ships vacation. If I had access, this would never not be in my fridge. Thanks and way to go Garrison!

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I was truly ecpecting this to disappoint me, given how many Pale Ales and IPA's in the LCBO don't live up to their name. This however was a beautiful surprise. Yes it has a luscious head and body, yes it smells fragrant and promising but the real proof is in the taste. If there were a single draft this pleasing in this city I would be there at the tap daily. This is new at the LCBO in my territory but I really hope they continue it. P.S. it's a Canadian beer.

One year later: Now this is more like it. After drinking some tepid Ontario APA this IPA from Nova Scotia is the real deal. Beautiful pour with lots of long lasting head and lace. You can smell those hops. It's like coming home. I would gladly drink this again. Too be fair it's not perfect but what is. It's really great. More please. Too bad it seems to be seasonal

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked this one up on a recent trip to Canada. Cloudy unfiltered copper orange color. Thin frothy head from an aggressive pour clings nicely to glass.
Fresh, crisp hop aroma. Very floral citrusy aroma. Some hints of malts blend in too.
Refreshing hints of hops right up front. Citrus flavors blend with a piney finish. Not overpowering or mouthpuckering. Sweet notes from malts even things out with a slight hoppy resin left in mouth.
Good solid mouthfeel, a bit on the heavy side but still refreshing.
Well rounded offering here. Definetly holds its own compare to well sought after IPA's. Very enjoyable, will seek out again on the next trip.

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%

Wow - great beer. I'm glad to be living in Halifax these days.

Poured a deep, dark, almost red colour, which an creamy/light orange head. The head retention is pretty good - lasting 10min or so.

Smells so good, it's hard to smell, because it makes you want to drink it! Mostly hoppy, but with a floral aspect - and maybe even tree? (like pine or something?)

This sucker fills up your mouth, and gets into all your tastebuds. A veritable roundkick to the parts of your cheeks that detect bitterness. It's super bitter, in fact, which lowered my grades for taste and drinkability. Keep in mind that I tend to prefer porters, and I don't love the bitterness as much as some. That being said - I'll finish this 750ml and be wishing I had another.

In my limited experience, I'd say this is more of a Double IPA then a regular, plain ol' IPA.

I can't believe this comes from the same city that churns out Keiths.

Got on a trade from Curtis. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- 4.25- Opens well and pours a nice head that lasts. Dark, unfiltered. Good

S- 4- Lots of hops. BIt of malt. Nice blend.

T- 4.25- Lots of hops. Hopped early during the boil and dry. Very similar to SN's Torpedo.

M-4.0- Very similar to SN's Torpedo. Bitter good

O- 4.12- This is my overall rating. Nice beer. Worth getting if I ever find it again.

Food Pairing

This nice IPA went well with..... Smoked meat and cheese tray.

Enjoy!

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Made sure I picked this one up on my last trip to Nova Scotia since I discovered true IPA's not that long ago.
Pours a very nice hazy deep orange with golden brown highlights. Finger and a half of off-white head with decent retention and decent lacing.
A burst of citrus, pine, floral hops and buttery malt in the nose. Very inviting.
Smooth buttery malt accompanied by a punch of pronounced citrus, grapefruit rind and pine that almost makes your mouth pucker and lingers to the bitter end. The hops are much more pronounced then the malt, but it still makes for quite a tasty beverage.
Incredibly creamy body that's capped off by a crisp, dry, bitter finish. Being so tasty and creamy, the drinkability is great but at the same time, I would find it hard to have more then two of these bad boys in fear of my tongue losing all of its senses to the bitterness.

Overall, an excellent IPA. Creamy, smooth, tasty and definately not lacking in the hop department. I am still a BA rook, but reading the label; "unfiltered Imperial Pale Ale" and with "Imperial" in its name, on top of the incredible IBU count, and 7% ABV ,I think this brew leans more towards an imperial IPA rather then an American IPA. Regardless, this was an exceptional brew that I would definately recommend for anyone travelling or living down East.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Imperial IPA from Garrison Brewing Company