Blackberry Wheat - Garrison Brewing Company

Garrison Brewing Company visit their website
Nova Scotia, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

Light amber in colour and crisp in body,"Blackberry Wheat Ale" perfectly balances refreshment with natural fruit flavouring. Enjoy!

(Beer added by: bobsy on 05-26-2010)
2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

DreamDeath, May 18, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

bcrocker, Oct 06, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

As per Garrison website: Malt: 2row, wheat, dextrin. Hops: Pilgrim. IBU: 13. OG: 1.044. ABV. 4.6%

A: Pours an orange to light copper colour. Head poured about 1/4 inch and then fell to 1/64th (ok...so it's hardly there). Clear with no particles. Overly clear for a wheat beer

S: Candy blueberry at best is what I smell. I won't assume or accuse the brewery of this but I smell artificial blueberry flavour.

T: Blueberries are not natural in flavour. Hint of nut and baked crust. I am not picking up any yeast flavours either for the wheat beer.

M: Overly carbonated for a wheat beer.

O: Highly disappointed for a wheat beer. Appearance, taste and mouthfeel do not give the style any justice. On the other hand, if you mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with their Nut Brown it does taste like peanut butter and jelly...honestly!

Kremlock, Sep 20, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Ivanhoes_Backpack, Jul 31, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

patroy, Jun 19, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

PJ1, May 16, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to my dad for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is full of blackberry with quite a bit of toffee in there as well. The flavor follows suit. I get a heavy dose of blackberry as well as some toffee and wheat notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Apr 07, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

341ml bottle poured into pint glass oct2 2010

A clear golden yellow with a few suspended particles and very few bubbles feeding a fast falling thumbs of width of head that left no lace

S Lots of berry with some honey

T like the nose lots of berry but it seems like real fruit unlike many fruit beers, not bad if you like fruit

M not sure where all the carbonation came from because I couldn't see any, fluffs it up a bit and pretty light

D I couldn't see myself drinking a 6er of these back to back but one or two would go down well with some summer sun

not bad for a fruit beer, not something I would be drinking all the time but at least it's a beer my lady will drink

wordemupg, Oct 12, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -4.4%

Nice foamy head that drops pretty quickly. Lots of lacing. A deep golden colour, with a hint of orange.

Fairly sweet smell of berry. Not overpowering, but it's about all I get from it.

Fruit & wheat beers are either hit or miss for me, mostly miss. This one isn't too bad. It's a little too sweet for me, and almost a little soapy, due to a bitter finish I found kind of surprising.

Carbonation is OK, but it's a little thin/watery and a bit bitter (I don't think fruit beers should really be bitter at all, especially when they're pretty sweet).

Drinkability is OK, but I wouldn't want more than one or two. There are other much better fruit beers around.

PEIBeerGuy, Aug 24, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

This is a great summer beer. The appearance is an amber colour, and it has a nice head when poured.

The smell is a bit of a put off, at least when in a bottle. A lot of sweetness and too much blackberry.

The taste, however is great. Unlike the Raspberry Wheat, this taste is all in the back-end. It's much more of a nice aftertaste rather than an overpowering sweetness up front. I love the Raspberry Wheat, but sometimes it's a bit too much, especially after one or two.

A nice full mouthfeel as well.

Overall, this is a perfect beer for sitting out in the sun. I could drink two or three of these no problem.

fadetowhite, Aug 20, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a 'rose" amber gold' with decent head and lacing.

Faint berry aroma mixed with sweet bread malt.

Taste is mostly, I'm afraid to say, quite tart and harsh., either from the blackberry or the malts. Mot much else comes through. Never had a blackberry flavoured beer so I'm gonna give the category the benefit of the doubt.

Mouthfeel was fuller than some Canuck fruit/wheat ales.

OK, but Alley Kat's brewberry goes down much easier than this.

Shadman, Jun 30, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -4.4%

I picked up a bottle of this with some trepidation. While Garrison's Raspberry wheat is a cut above most raspberry wheats I have tried, their Blueberry Wheat (retired in exchange for the Blackberry) has been among the not-so-good blueberry wheats I have tried. Where, then, lies the Blackberry?

Pours an almost "rose" color with a bunch of fizzy white head. Head quickly settles down to an interesting crown and leaves sporadic lacing on the glass.

Slight blackberry smell. Some minor artifical smelling stuff, but not as apparent as another blackberry ale I had recently.

Taste consists of tart blackberry flavor. Some mild carbonation and a wet finish. Nothing really beyond the tart flavor, which lingers in the mouth for a while.

Tart beers aren't quite my thing (or at least, I haven't found one I have enjoyed), but the Blackberry isn't bad. Certainly better than the blueberry in the past, but not quite as good as the raspberry.

Seanstoppable, Jun 04, 2010