Dark Side Vanilla Porter - Empyrean Brewing Company

good

Empyrean Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

An infusion of an old-world beer style and contemporary soul. Smooth, dark and roasted with highlights of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Brewed with American, Canadian and English grown barley, American hops, Madagascar vanilla beans and natural vanilla extract.

23. IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2002)

holder1422, Sunday at 04:42 AM

SoCalBeerIdiot, Sep 02, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

TimErickson, Aug 29, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

In my second installment of rating Empyrean products, we go to my favorite style, the American Porter. When I peruse the top porters on this site, I see I have drank and reviewed a lot of good porters, so I am familiar with what they are supposed to taste like. Side poured with standard intensity from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance - Like many porters, pours a dark brown with an off white head that is less than one finger. Head dissipates rapidly, and leaves little lacing. I like the packaging on this beer, and the little saying on the side.

Smell - Despite the advertisement, I detect a relatively small nose on this beer. There are some malty notes, a little roast, and thats about it. I detect very little in the way of aroma. There may be a bit of coffee in there, but I really have to dig, and that may be my imagination too.

Taste - Much like the aroma, the taste leaves much to be desired. There is a pronounced bitterness, which drowns out what may be a decent brew. I detect little of the vanilla and chocolate with which the beer is made. TO me, the coffee bitterness really dominates the palate. There is a hint of sweetness and roast, but the flavor is one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel- Very thin and watery, finishes bitter. My least favorite part, I want a porter to be thick and creamy.

Overall - As with Burning Skye, I would not recommend this, nor would I buy it again. Ever. There are too many good porters out there to drink this one. I am glad I drank it, but coming off my recent out-of-body experience with Anchor Porter, maybe this was a bad choice, too much of a drop off. I ended up pouring the last 1/4 or so of it, just go bored with it.

TheCondor, Aug 24, 2014

LukeGude, Aug 14, 2014

katterbe, Aug 09, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Caramel-like, dark brown in color. Not very impressive head.
Smell: Pleasant smell. Notes of caramel and vanilla shine through.
Taste/mouthfeel: Delicious. Chocolate, vanilla, and subtle coffee flavors are present. Partway into the glass, the caramel comes out more, as well as the coffee. The whole mouthfeel is quite pleasing.
Overall, this beer is very good and easy to drink. Not one of the best beers I have had, but one that I would likely purchase again.

sheeley, Aug 08, 2014
2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance - Poured into a Miller Fortune 8 oz glass. 1 finger head. Retention not so much.

Smell (4) - Roasted coffee beans, stout, hint of vanilla bean.

Taste (2.5) - Not bad, but a little too bitter for me. The bitterness tastes like old vanilla coffee beans. Dark stout.

Mouthfeel (3) - Like drinking an iced coffee but it's a beer. A hint of carbonation spritzes it up just enough to give it a subtle pop. Mildly creamy. Nice bite and finish, a step up from the taste.

Overall - Definitely a session beer. I can tell this one is heavy on the alcohol. Giving me an almost instant headache. But overall it's a feels like winner even if it is a little too bitter and aggressive. Hard to finish so that tanks the rating but I can respect this beer for what it is.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 04, 2014

yankees27, Jul 31, 2014

capnamerica, Jul 31, 2014

thelargeone, Jul 25, 2014

BearMittens, Jul 25, 2014

AdmiralOzone, Jul 23, 2014
3.91/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a deep rich brown hue, with no light passing through the glass. This bottle has been in my cellar for a year or two.
A creamy tan head of 2 cm foams up with a gentle pour and recedes to a wispy surface layer with denser edges.
Aroma is some chocolate malt and vanilla hits, not really sweet though. I also get a little brown sugar mixed in for a generally appealing nose, it is fairly mild but pleasant.
First sip reveals a smooth silky texture on an average body and gentle rolling carbonation. All of the physical qualities make it very easy to drink.
Flavor is sweeter than I anticipated from the nose. Brown sugar and vanilla mix with milk chocolate flavors, not so much roasted dark chocolate. I dont get any hits of alcohol or hops anywhere on this beer. Definitely a malt lovers brew and the sweeter flavor may get cloying after a second bottle. I do enjoy this one and would have it again if in Nebraska or the neighboring area.

sulldaddy, Jul 22, 2014