Dark Side Vanilla Porter - Empyrean Brewing Company

good

Empyrean Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

An infusion of an old-world beer style and contemporary soul. Smooth, dark and roasted with highlights of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Brewed with American, Canadian and English grown barley, American hops, Madagascar vanilla beans and natural vanilla extract.

23. IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Side Vanilla Porter Alström Bros

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #71 (December 2012):

“Where’s the vanilla?” Was the first thing that came to our minds. It’s barely noticeable and what is gets quickly scrubbed away by the dominate roasty notes, however once the beer warmed up considerably the vanilla notes began to pull through. Aside from this, and the short-lived head, the base is a decent Porter.

STYLE: American Porter
ABV: 5.7%
AVAILABILITY: Year-round

LOOK: Rich, opaque, dark brown, creamy tan head that quickly fizzles away

SMELL: Roasted malts, earth, vanilla beans

TASTE: Semi-chewy, malty, raisiny, bready, roasty, chocolate, bitter, acrid, coffee, faint vanilla, dry finish

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

2.57/5  rDev -30.2%

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Good filing porter with a bitter vanilla sweetness.

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A. Easy poor ¼ inch thin head dissipated quickly. Looks of cola.
S. Raisins, roasty, old coffee.
T. Roasty, cola, light taste of vanilla, light caramel, can barley taste the alcohol. Taste a little like chocolate when chugged.
M. Crisp, watery.
O. Good for drinking all day long without getting full. The buzz isn’t to strong, you could drink all day and not get to drunk. Recommend for people who like Left Hands Milk stout.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

4.64/5  rDev +26.1%

4.28/5  rDev +16.3%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

In my second installment of rating Empyrean products, we go to my favorite style, the American Porter. When I peruse the top porters on this site, I see I have drank and reviewed a lot of good porters, so I am familiar with what they are supposed to taste like. Side poured with standard intensity from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance - Like many porters, pours a dark brown with an off white head that is less than one finger. Head dissipates rapidly, and leaves little lacing. I like the packaging on this beer, and the little saying on the side.

Smell - Despite the advertisement, I detect a relatively small nose on this beer. There are some malty notes, a little roast, and thats about it. I detect very little in the way of aroma. There may be a bit of coffee in there, but I really have to dig, and that may be my imagination too.

Taste - Much like the aroma, the taste leaves much to be desired. There is a pronounced bitterness, which drowns out what may be a decent brew. I detect little of the vanilla and chocolate with which the beer is made. TO me, the coffee bitterness really dominates the palate. There is a hint of sweetness and roast, but the flavor is one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel- Very thin and watery, finishes bitter. My least favorite part, I want a porter to be thick and creamy.

Overall - As with Burning Skye, I would not recommend this, nor would I buy it again. Ever. There are too many good porters out there to drink this one. I am glad I drank it, but coming off my recent out-of-body experience with Anchor Porter, maybe this was a bad choice, too much of a drop off. I ended up pouring the last 1/4 or so of it, just go bored with it.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%