Dark Side Vanilla Porter - Empyrean Brewing Company

Empyrean Brewing Company visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Porter |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-27-2002

An infusion of an old-world beer style and contemporary soul. Smooth, dark and roasted with highlights of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Brewed with American, Canadian and English grown barley, American hops, Madagascar vanilla beans and natural vanilla extract.

23. IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dark Side Vanilla Porter Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.56/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A. Easy poor ¼ inch thin head dissipated quickly. Looks of cola.
S. Raisins, roasty, old coffee.
T. Roasty, cola, light taste of vanilla, light caramel, can barley taste the alcohol. Taste a little like chocolate when chugged.
M. Crisp, watery.
O. Good for drinking all day long without getting full. The buzz isn’t to strong, you could drink all day and not get to drunk. Recommend for people who like Left Hands Milk stout.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

4.64/5  rDev +25.7%

4.28/5  rDev +16%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

In my second installment of rating Empyrean products, we go to my favorite style, the American Porter. When I peruse the top porters on this site, I see I have drank and reviewed a lot of good porters, so I am familiar with what they are supposed to taste like. Side poured with standard intensity from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance - Like many porters, pours a dark brown with an off white head that is less than one finger. Head dissipates rapidly, and leaves little lacing. I like the packaging on this beer, and the little saying on the side.

Smell - Despite the advertisement, I detect a relatively small nose on this beer. There are some malty notes, a little roast, and thats about it. I detect very little in the way of aroma. There may be a bit of coffee in there, but I really have to dig, and that may be my imagination too.

Taste - Much like the aroma, the taste leaves much to be desired. There is a pronounced bitterness, which drowns out what may be a decent brew. I detect little of the vanilla and chocolate with which the beer is made. TO me, the coffee bitterness really dominates the palate. There is a hint of sweetness and roast, but the flavor is one-dimensional.

Mouthfeel- Very thin and watery, finishes bitter. My least favorite part, I want a porter to be thick and creamy.

Overall - As with Burning Skye, I would not recommend this, nor would I buy it again. Ever. There are too many good porters out there to drink this one. I am glad I drank it, but coming off my recent out-of-body experience with Anchor Porter, maybe this was a bad choice, too much of a drop off. I ended up pouring the last 1/4 or so of it, just go bored with it.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Caramel-like, dark brown in color. Not very impressive head.
Smell: Pleasant smell. Notes of caramel and vanilla shine through.
Taste/mouthfeel: Delicious. Chocolate, vanilla, and subtle coffee flavors are present. Partway into the glass, the caramel comes out more, as well as the coffee. The whole mouthfeel is quite pleasing.
Overall, this beer is very good and easy to drink. Not one of the best beers I have had, but one that I would likely purchase again.

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance - Poured into a Miller Fortune 8 oz glass. 1 finger head. Retention not so much.

Smell (4) - Roasted coffee beans, stout, hint of vanilla bean.

Taste (2.75) - Not bad, but a little too bitter for me. The bitterness tastes like old vanilla coffee beans. Dark stout.

Mouthfeel (3.25) - Like drinking an iced coffee but it's a beer. A hint of carbonation spritzes it up just enough to give it a subtle pop. Mildly creamy. Nice bite and finish, a step up from the taste.

Overall - Definitely a session beer. I can tell this one is heavy on the alcohol. Giving me an almost instant headache. But overall it's a feels like winner even if it is a little too bitter and aggressive. Hard to finish so that tanks the rating but I can respect this beer for what it is.

Dark Side Vanilla Porter from Empyrean Brewing Company