Chocolate Covered Cherry Dark Side Vanilla Porter - Empyrean Brewing Company

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2/5  rDev n/a

4.03/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in an Empyrean shaker pint glass at JL Beers in Grand Forks, ND on February 14th, 2013.

I'd never had a cask beer before this to be honest, so this is my attempt to review my first one.

A - Poured a very dark brown, almost black color. Head was light brown color and looked good when poured but dissipated quite fast.

S - The smell threw me for a bit of a loop. I really expected to be hit by some of the normal coffee notes you get from a porter but found that the cherries added to this really overpowered the smell. Almost smelled like cherry cough syrup.

T - The porter portion of this beer was quite underwhelming for my taste. Seemed almost like the porter had been watered down and then fermented with chocolate and cherries, which were very pronounced. Like the smell, though, the cherry taste seemed a little cough syrup-like and left an after taste that wasn't necessarily desired by my tastes.

M - Very weird mouthfeel to this one. When it first hit my mouth it seemed to be slightly thick or creamy, but after it was actually in my mouth it had the same consistency as water it seemed. Very thin.

O - Overall it was still a solid beer. Nothing spectacular but it was well worth a try.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Dark Side Vanilla Porter from Empyrean Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.