Dark Angel - River Company Restaurant & Brewery

American Brown Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: 7ate9 on 12-10-2012

1.83/5  rDev n/a
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Reviewing this a little later than I'd like, but I keep fairly solid notes on every new brew I try.

On tap at The River Company the day before the FSU/VT game last November

A: Pours a muddy, amber, brown color. Quite dirty looking. Not appealing

S: Smells like vodka to me. This was agreed with by our entire group that was there. Slight hints of tobacco and malt but it was tough to get much flavor on the nose.

T: The booziest beer I have ever tasted. I really thought it was vodka based and it was a 25-30% alcohol beer. Theres a slight sweet malt to it but I was still struggling to choke down the sampler.

M: Mouthfeel was medium, nothing spectacular but I suppose it was the most enjoyable part of this brew because flavor wasn't being judged? idk

O: I am not a beer snob by any means, but this is literally the one beer that always sticks out to me when I drink some brews that I go "yea, its not great but....dark angel" I would be 100% surprised if this beer EVER comes back after this winter. Maybe we had a faulty batch while we were there but the entire concept behind this beer is wack. An imperial brown ale. To me, browns just need to be concentrated in the flavor department. A little more sweetness would have contained it some but its just not a solid marriage.

3.5/5  rDev n/a

3.75/5  rDev n/a

4.13/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the growler into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear red amber color with not much head at all.

Smell: I'm getting lots of sweet caramel and dark fruit. There is a very nice bourbon note along with some vanilla as well. Everything works well together and is quite smooth.

Taste: This one is sweet right off the bat. The bourbon heat is there and is accompanied by sweet dark fruit and a nice vanilla note. The finish is sweet and has a smooth, mild burn to it.

Mouthfeel: The body is syrupy with tingly carbonation. The finish is a bit dry.

Overall: This was my favorite of the beers I tried from River Co. The bourbon and sweetness played well together. I'd definitely have more.

4.1/5  rDev n/a

Growler shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad.

The beer appears chestnut brown with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings a healthy dose of bourbon, malt, vanilla, oak. Very nice. The flavor is quite tasty. Lots of bourbon. Lightly sweet, with a touch of spice. Vanilla and oak throughout. Medium bodied with low carbonation and alcohol content well hidden. Good stuff.

3.5/5  rDev n/a

3.85/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours from the growler a dark brown with ruby highlights. even a hard pour barely pops a head. (although I had it on tap the night before and the headstand was better).

The bourbon is very dominant. It comes accross as toffee, fudge, and coconut. The base beer is hidden for the most part but there are some subtle roast and malt notes coming through..It's hard to complain about though, it smells very similar to a fresh-baked, coconut chocolate chip cookie.

The taste falls a little behind the nose. The front of the palate gets a blast of caramel and chocolate but the ABV takes over starting at midpalate and plows it's way through to a pretty hot finish. The heat seems to mask a lot of the flavors

Appropriate Med-low carbonation with a pleasant med-high viscosity that is unfortunately thinned out by the heat on the finish.

This is a really good beer, and although I think the bourbon dominates a little too much, it is one of the better barrel aged beers I've had from a VA brewery. Already delicious, a few small tweaks could make this exceptional.

Brewer's notes: "A truly potent offering, the Dark Angel is an Imperial Brown Ale that was aged in A. Smith Bowman Bourbon barrels for 5 months. Clocking in at 9.5+%, the warming bourbon notes with the strong malt backbone make this the ideal after dinner nightcap!"

Dark Angel from River Company Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.