Spirulina Wit - Freetail Brewing Company

Beer added by: glid02 on 04-20-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by AlCaponeJunior:
3.97/5  rDev n/a

Well this was a St Patrick's Day special here, I could tell immediately when I saw the color: GREEN. Nicely green too, had a decent head and left great lacing behind.

Had a typically witbier aroma, wheaty and spicy with cloves and yeast. Flavor followed suit in spades, if I didn't see the color it would be hard to tell this was a specialty brew.

Body was light and very drinkable, I dare to say it's the perfect St Patty's beer (especially with the low ABV, so you could pound many of them and still remain standing!).

Always recommend a trip to Freetail for their great beers, this one is no exception.

After having this one again, and talking to the head brewer about how they made it (and how I might make a similar beer), I'd like to +1 my review, and +1 Freetail Brewery for making such good stuff! (811 characters)

4.03/5  rDev n/a
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampled on draft at Freetail as part of a taster flight.

Appearance: Why is it green?
Spirulina..
What 's that?
A cyanobacterium, blue green algae.
From Wikipedia:
Cyanobacteria can be found in almost every terrestrial and aquatic habitat—oceans, fresh water, damp soil, temporarily moistened rocks in deserts, bare rock and soil, and even Antarctic rocks.
Why is it in my beer?
People have a long history of eating it as it is high in protein.

... it's green. Short white head, a bit cloudy.

Smell: Pretty standard wit. Grainy wheat, light coriander spice with a good citric note.

Taste: A wit profile, light, refreshing, low spice note, little sweet finish. There is a different note in there, but by this point you could probably hand me food coloring and I'll tell you I taste algae. Maybe something along a woodruff or Irish moss; earthy, fungal. It's not strong.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery, light, fizzy, not wildly outside a wit range.

Overall: Kudos for use of a novel ingredient. Now I feel all hipster. Yeah, I drink algae beer, you probably haven't heard of it. (1,077 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

Had this one at the Freetail and Real Ale barrel-aged festival.

The beer pours a slightly murky green color with a white head. Definitely the strangest looking beer I have ever seen. Very cool. The aroma is very green, smelling a lot like algae. Never had a beer that smells that way. The flavor is a mix of green algae with some orange peel and coriander notes. Light to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very odd beer, but one that surprisingly works out very well. (478 characters)

4.03/5  rDev n/a

I believe this is a version of the Rye Wit made with Spirulina algae for St. Patrick's Day.

Pours a brilliant and slightly cloudy blue-green color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing. Far and away the most interesting color I've seen in a beer.

Smells of orange peel with hints of more tart lemon peel. Also present are good amounts of wheat twang, light amounts of coriander, and lighter amounts of a crisp, slightly vegetal aroma.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Solid amounts of wheat flavors kick things off with very light hints of spicy rye. Midway through the sip citrus flavors favoring orange and lemon enter into things, carrying through to a crisp ending. Again, there is a very mild crisp and clean grassy flavor lurking in the background that differs from the base beer.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I thought this was a very interesting take on any beer and it worked surprisingly well on this witbier. Well worth a shot if it's made again. (1,171 characters)

3.25/5  rDev n/a

3.74/5  rDev n/a

One of the most interesting looking brew I've seen. It was a hazy dark lime green color with a blue tint. The waitress told me this beer was naturally green-no coloring added. This beer looked, smelled, and tasted like it could be medicinal. It had a soft aroma that was herbal in nature. (L/M/E)

The taste was on the softer side compared to other witbiers I've tried. This one had an herbal taste with a mellow wheat profile. There was also hints of citrus peel and wheat grass. Maybe it was the green color but I was tasting very small traces of mint. Overall the taste was not assertive - it's very laid back.

Very refreshing brew and certainly something different. It was like a healthy elixir. I enjoyed it and would have it again. Definitely worth a try. (762 characters)

4.46/5  rDev n/a

Served on tap at the brewery. How to even evaluate this beer?!? It's GREEN!

A - Translucent neon green that almost glows when held against a lighted backdrop. Is it radioactive? Safe to drink?

S - Herbal, slightly vegetal, somewhat medicinal aroma highlighted by citrus and what the normal Rye Wit smells like (this is Rye Wit with Spirulina added in secondary fermentation)

T - Wow! It tastes good! Definite yet not over-assertive wheat character with the same herbal components from the aroma.

M - Light bodied and refreshing. Would be interested to try a more highly carbonated (think Champagne) version.

D - I could drink these all day, and it seems like it would be good for me!

I'm told they'll have this one on the floor at GABF. Worth seeking out. (762 characters)

4.01/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Freetail.

Pours a translucent neon green with white around the edges, small white head. One of the most interesting looking beers I've ever seen. Aroma of wheat, citrus, and what I guess is spirulina algae. Taste is mainly wheat, sweet citrus, with a hint of slightly sour algae. Feels thin but very delicious. The algae really adds a great dimension to this, and the sourness is very subtle, moreso a sweetness than sour but it's still there sitting at the back. I would have liked more carbonation, but it was still good. It's safe to say that this is a one of a kind beer, and Freetail hit it out of the park with this one. (637 characters)

4.18/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Iove spirulina and Iove wit beers so this was a no brainer for me to order. It's super low in ABV (about 4.2% if I'm remembering correctly) so drinking 2 or 3 while enjoying my pizza at Freetail was easy and super enjoyable. Crisp and refreshing and a perfect warm weather choice. I hope they have more of this the next time I'm in San Antonio. (344 characters)

4.25/5  rDev n/a

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Spirulina Wit from Freetail Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.