Fortuna Roja - Freetail Brewing Company

Texas, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.90% ABV

Batch 1 (2011) - 200 Bottles
Batch 2 (2012) - 120 Bottles

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 02-06-2011)

ygtbsm94, Jan 10, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

jl28r1, Sep 16, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

it tastes like a red dill pickle...

on a more serious note:

A- Poured a strikingly bright red, similar to kool-aid. Amazingly translucent. Exciting to look at.

S- Sour, vinegar smell, exactly like my great-grandmother's homemade pickling solution

T- Exactly how it smelled.

M- It had a very light mouthfeel.

D- Definitely lower on the drinkability scale simply because of the vinegarish-ness. It wouldn't be a session beer.w

Overall, interesting beer although personally I felt like it wasn't very beer-ish. Fun to try!

dnarx, Feb 18, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Thanks to Bobby for this quite rare tick.

A: Pours a shockingly bright red/pink color with a finger of pink head.

S: Wow, this is quite funky. A big bacterial character and a lot of prickly pear (the fruit added to this beer). Smells slightly tart/lactic with quite a lot of fruit. The nose is quite interesting, if nothing else.

T: The flavor is surprisingly, and somewhat disappointingly, sweet. A big sweet, Jolly Rancher/candy flavor. There is a slight tartness to it, and a good prickly pear character. Lots of cactus, too, which I wasn't really expecting.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This one wasn't as good as Ananke, but still not bad. The addition of prickly pear was an interesting choice and made for a very different sour beer.

womencantsail, Feb 18, 2011

Photekut, May 19, 2013

Gonzoillini, Feb 23, 2013

t0rin0, Oct 01, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -10%

A - Pours the color of ruby red grapefruit into my snifter with a little less than a finger of bubbly head that has minimal retention that settles into a ring around the glass leaving little to no lace.

S - Smells more funky than sour, barnyard funk, citrus, prickly pear, and some malts.

T - Tart, fruity and funky. Nice amount of brett, citrus prickly pear, grapefruit, and watermelon. Sour enough to excite the palate, but not overwhelmingly so.

M - This one was a little disappointing for me. I felt it was way over carbonated, so much so that it actually took away from the taste of this beer.

O - As the beer warmed and sat in the glass the carbonation calmed down a little and the true flavors and qualities become more prevalent, but initially the high carbonation attacked my palate and didn't give me a chance to really enjoy what this beer had to offer.

StoneBrewFanatic, May 14, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into my SA perfect pint

Appearance: Reddish Pink, probably closer to pink then to red. Any head that was produced during pouring quickly fades to nothing. A crazy amount of bubbles are streaming from the bottom up the sides telling me to get ready for carbonation.

Aroma: Funk, barn yard funk, and a little citrus are the predominate aromas.

Taste: To quote Overlord “ass puckeringly sour” is the best way I can describe this one. I wouldn’t say it was overly sour and I couldn’t drink it, because I did enjoy it. It was hard to discern any differences in the flavor due to the sourness, which made it pretty one dimensional. I would say it was a citrusy sour, with maybe a little bit or watermelon type sourness hidden beneath the layers or sour. I know that doesn’t make any since, but I’m trying.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated but I would still say this one is a sipper due to the sourness of it. My mouth is actually watering right now as I type while I recall the taste and feeling of this beer. Not because I crave it but because it is, again, sour.

Overall: I thought it was pretty good, it could have used a little more dimension to it, perhaps, with more time it would develop more.

jamescain, May 09, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing this, Cavery!

Bright, vibrant melted watermelon Jolly Rancher in color with a somewhat small off-white head that eventually leaves connect-the-dot lines and spots of lacing down the glass. Interesting, unique, and gorgeous!

One of the strangest aromas I've ever experienced, beer or otherwise. I kid you not, this is the most dill-forward beer I've smelled. Dill, dill pickle juice, and crunchy dill pickles are the main aromas, as well as deli mustard, and leafy, peppery greens like arugula. Strange, and not at all unpleasant, even if my description sounds so.

The flavor is more fruit-forward than the aroma and tastes like watermelon flesh and watermelon rind, along with black pepper, a mild funky yeast character, a mild to strong sourness, and an earthy fruit flavor I'm assuming is prickly pear. Interesting, and actually delicious!

Thin to medium bodied with high moderate to high carbonation.

A unique, interesting, and deliciously strange wild ale. I loved this stuff!

ehammond1, Nov 30, 2011

acurtis, Jan 20, 2014

Thanks to whoever sent me this bottle. (hopschnapps?) Love the artwork on the label. Beer pours a crystal clear, ruby red. No head, but very effervescent, with small prickly carbonation that fades to a nearly still pour. Smells faintly sour, with a strawberry like aroma on the finish. Taste is a delicate sour, with a light vinegary bite to it. Soft candied fruit flavor balanced by the sourness of it. Faintly Jolly Rancher like. Having had candied prickly pear before, this is what it might taste like as a hard sour candy. Flavor is almost like flower nectar it is so delicate. Really enjoying this brew, as I have most of Freetail's offerings.

baconsausage, Aug 28, 2011

texasclimber, Jan 24, 2012

Hanzo, Jan 07, 2013

TNGabe, Mar 10, 2013

spycow, Jan 12, 2013

ncaudle, Jul 26, 2013

Quackus, Feb 18, 2014

I got this bottle from jefferz5000 (thanks Jeff), and shared it in Chicago at a Thai BYOB restaurant. A cactus juice infused take on a Belgian style, served with Thai food in the midwest's finest city.

The beer pours a pink color, almost red, clear with little/no foam. The aroma is brett and lemon, also what I take to be cactus (who really drinks cactus juice anyway?). The flavor is tart and sour, not seriously acidic so maybe that's the contribution of the cactus pear. Very tasty and maybe just a little fruity, nice.

Very drinkable, I could have easily slammed the whole bottle in short order. I'm going after future Freetail wilds whenever possible.

TurdFurgison, Sep 05, 2011

djrn2, Jan 20, 2014
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz bottle shared by JonathanL7890 at a recent tasting; thanks!

Fortuna Roja pours with a unique, rosy red body. Very well-carbonated, too, with lots of bubbles rising up to supply a healthy Valentine's Day pink-colored head. Aromas of prickly pear cacti, tart citrus, light cherry, wood, and a hint of vinegary acetic acid.

The flavor is lighter than expected, with a kiss of tart sourness. Not as bold as Freetail's Ananke (also aged in wine barrels), but the prickly pear cactus makes Fortuna Roja both incredibly juicy and drinkable. A little fruity sweetness in the middle, followed by a drying, slight puckering finish. Medium-thin body with a healthy carbonation level...almost soda-like in its consistency and some aspects of its flavor. All in all, an exciting new release from one of Texas' brightest brewpubs.

wagenvolks, Feb 27, 2011
4.19/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a grapefruit off-red color, large head, really stunning.

Smells tart but not terribly sour, sweet fruity watermelon...smells like a Jolly Rancher.

Tastes like a Jolly Rancher too but there's more going on. The focus is watermelon/guava like fruit, obviously the prickly pear, but it's odd and hard to describe--guess my palate isn't used to prickly pear. Tart, but not really acidic or funky, just kindof like a tart candy. Pretty light and sweet. Really delicious and definitely unlike anything I've had.

Great and unique beer. I knew I wanted it just because it sounded weird, but it was definitely worth the trouble to find it.

8.4/10

AlexFields, Mar 10, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

22oz bottle poured into HF "fest" glass. First beer in our mini Freetail tasting (other beers included Raspberry Ananke, Yo Soy Berliner, and Porto Gallito). This is a sour made with prickly pear (a type of cactus fruit).

A- Pours a fairly still orange yellow reddish grapefruit color that has pretty much no head and fairly low carbonation but looks nice for a sour and has a nice fruity glow to it.

S- Fruity sour aroma that has a light fruity funk to it and smells of melons, pears, and a hint of dill pickles that fits in well with the sourness. Definitely interesting, unique, fairly sour with a nice fruitiness that blends in well.

T- Follow nose with fruity sour flavors of melons, cucumbers, pears, hint of dill pickles on the finish, with a sour melon aftertaste. I'd imagine the fruitiness in the beer (excluding the sour taste from the brett) is what prickly pear tastes like although I can't say for certain seeing as I've never tried one. I can say that fits nicely in a sour and everything was well balanced.

M- Medium bodied, not much carbonation, slight acidic feel typical of a nice sour, overall a nice feel for a sour.

O- This was my first Freetail beer and the first one we tried during our mini Freetail sour tasting. I wasn't sure what to expect from the brewery especially because I had no idea what Prickly Pear tastes like. I thought this beer was creative, very well done, and one of the better sours that I've had. It's great seeing breweries create unique brews using indigenous ingredients that aren't commonly used. I hope to drink this again and I definitely recommend checking it out if you can.

jaasen64, Dec 12, 2012