Fortuna Roja - Freetail Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 02-06-2011

Batch 1 (2011) - 200 Bottles
Batch 2 (2012) - 120 Bottles
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 23
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle poured into HF "fest" glass. First beer in our mini Freetail tasting (other beers included Raspberry Ananke, Yo Soy Berliner, and Porto Gallito). This is a sour made with prickly pear (a type of cactus fruit).

A- Pours a fairly still orange yellow reddish grapefruit color that has pretty much no head and fairly low carbonation but looks nice for a sour and has a nice fruity glow to it.

S- Fruity sour aroma that has a light fruity funk to it and smells of melons, pears, and a hint of dill pickles that fits in well with the sourness. Definitely interesting, unique, fairly sour with a nice fruitiness that blends in well.

T- Follow nose with fruity sour flavors of melons, cucumbers, pears, hint of dill pickles on the finish, with a sour melon aftertaste. I'd imagine the fruitiness in the beer (excluding the sour taste from the brett) is what prickly pear tastes like although I can't say for certain seeing as I've never tried one. I can say that fits nicely in a sour and everything was well balanced.

M- Medium bodied, not much carbonation, slight acidic feel typical of a nice sour, overall a nice feel for a sour.

O- This was my first Freetail beer and the first one we tried during our mini Freetail sour tasting. I wasn't sure what to expect from the brewery especially because I had no idea what Prickly Pear tastes like. I thought this beer was creative, very well done, and one of the better sours that I've had. It's great seeing breweries create unique brews using indigenous ingredients that aren't commonly used. I hope to drink this again and I definitely recommend checking it out if you can.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Batch 1, thanks to Jon!

Did I just pour ruby red grapefruit juice? Wow, this looks like a liquified Watermelon Jolly Rancher. Funky, citrusy, fruity aroma. Wishing it were stronger though.

Taste is refined and unique amongst sours. Never had a prickly pear sour before, but whoa this is great! Crisp and refreshing; tart but not overly sour. Not enough of this was made -- seek it out!

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing this, Cavery!

Bright, vibrant melted watermelon Jolly Rancher in color with a somewhat small off-white head that eventually leaves connect-the-dot lines and spots of lacing down the glass. Interesting, unique, and gorgeous!

One of the strangest aromas I've ever experienced, beer or otherwise. I kid you not, this is the most dill-forward beer I've smelled. Dill, dill pickle juice, and crunchy dill pickles are the main aromas, as well as deli mustard, and leafy, peppery greens like arugula. Strange, and not at all unpleasant, even if my description sounds so.

The flavor is more fruit-forward than the aroma and tastes like watermelon flesh and watermelon rind, along with black pepper, a mild funky yeast character, a mild to strong sourness, and an earthy fruit flavor I'm assuming is prickly pear. Interesting, and actually delicious!

Thin to medium bodied with high moderate to high carbonation.

A unique, interesting, and deliciously strange wild ale. I loved this stuff!

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I got this bottle from jefferz5000 (thanks Jeff), and shared it in Chicago at a Thai BYOB restaurant. A cactus juice infused take on a Belgian style, served with Thai food in the midwest's finest city.

The beer pours a pink color, almost red, clear with little/no foam. The aroma is brett and lemon, also what I take to be cactus (who really drinks cactus juice anyway?). The flavor is tart and sour, not seriously acidic so maybe that's the contribution of the cactus pear. Very tasty and maybe just a little fruity, nice.

Very drinkable, I could have easily slammed the whole bottle in short order. I'm going after future Freetail wilds whenever possible.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fortuna Roja from Freetail Brewing Company