Soul Doubt IPA - Freetail Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Freetail Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: StoneBrewFanatic on 02-11-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by LambicKing:

LambicKing, Jan 23, 2013

bpfrush, Feb 25, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Dello, Oct 30, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Always happy to show Texas some love.

Got a buddy to send me some stuff from the brewpub

A: Pours Orange/Brown with a nice bubbly head and good retention

S: Earthy, Yeasty, Pine. A bid subdued for an IPA in terms of something that stands out here.

T: Bready. A bit watery. Nice hop finish.

M: Crisp, but nothing amazing. Flavor builds with each sip but still leaving something to be desired.

D: Easy drinking, sessionable IPA.

From the artwork, I was expecting a bit more flavor from this IPA. I figured that since its dry hopped it would stand out a bit more but it left me hanging a bit. I think I'd like to try this on draft to compare because the other reviews seem to indicate that on tap the taste stands out a bit more.

I think its good, but other Texas IPAs like Stash IPA blows this outta the water. I wouldn't go out of my way for this one.

beenitty, Jan 24, 2013

Mayhewbc, Sep 26, 2012

Wayne17, Apr 17, 2014

cdwil, Oct 29, 2014
3.94/5  rDev +4%

Pours a nice amber to copper color, mostly clear, with a creamy head that left about a 1/4" sheet of dense foam capped on top the whole way down, leaving sheets of nice sticky resinous lacing.

The aroma doesn't blow me out of the water, by any means. It's somewhat subdued, but I get Cara-Munich malt first, then some herbal, earthy hops.

Flavors much follow the aroma, but they stand out more, and leave me wondering why I don't make it out to freetail more often! The Cara-Munich and aromatic malts (along with whatever crystal malts they used) make a great base, and an unusual one for an IPA. I like the innovation! It's well hopped, but balanced very well with the moderate ABV and bold malty backbone. There's a little citrus, but I am getting mostly heavily earthy and lightly floral or grassy hop flavors.

This IPA is very unusual, and very likeable. Just don't expect to be getting a standard west coast 47 lbs of hops per five gallons type of IPA. This beer is well crafted and delicious, but it's not Pliny the Younger or Heady Topper.

When I popped the bottle and had my first sip (before I looked it up) I thought it was going to be an English type IPA. Well, I was wrong on that one. But the fact that this beer is classified as an "American IPA," along with such a huge and highly diverse group of other beers, says to me that this category may be too broad. Just a few ticks lower on the ABV and I'd think it was getting into "session IPA" territory (but nowadays, that's practically an inflammatory statement, and is likely to initiate a raging discussion about the definition of session beer, session IPA, and who knows what else).

Overall: Freetail is a great brewery, and this is a very tasty beer. It's not going to impress west-coast uber-hopheads that much, because it's more of a reasonable, drinkable IPA (the horror!), than an in-your-face, over the top, high ABV, massively hopped (to near the point of over-hopping) double IPA. I don't think that way-over-the-top was what Freetail intended, and I doubt whether the double-IPA as the "gold standard" craft beer drinker was their target here anyway. I suspect their assistant brewer just knew this recipe would make a great beer, so they brewed it, and damn the classifications or ratings.

Cheers to Freetail brewery!

AlCaponeJunior, May 16, 2013