Barrel Aged Cherry Porter - Freetail Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Freetail Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: jamescain on 05-11-2011)
Reviews by elNopalero:
3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

I’m thinking the cherry porter I had is the same as the barrel-aged cherry porter, apologies if I have confused the two.

From my notes at the RealTail collaboration release:

Ruddy-brown in the glass. Strong cherry profile, light mouthfeel, thin carbonation. A little ‘off’ taste—what is that, the bitterness from the whole cherry (fruit and pit)? There’s a harsh finish to this that increases as it warms. Drink it chilled and this would make a great autumn beer, say in Michigan around the time the leaves change color.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Black with minimal tan head that faded into a ring around the glass.

Aroma: A very nice blind of whiskey, vanilla, tart cherries, coffee, chocolate and alcohol. The whiskey is not over powering at all like some barrel aged beers.

Taste: Whiskey up front and a little bit of alcohol warming. Subtle chocolate and coffee flavors are complimented with a slight tartness from the cherries. Very pleasant, but a sipper for sure, which is why I was surprised it was served to me in a pint glass.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the lighter side and the carbonation is on the higher side. I would have preferred more body, but the lighter body aids to the ability to drink this beer.

Overall: I enjoyed this one a lot. I hope they make it again in the future and I would like to see it bottled sometime, but that will probably never happen since they are no longer aging any beers that are not wild ales. Glad I got to try it though.

Barrel Aged Cherry Porter from Freetail Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.