OktoberFiesta 2011 - Freetail Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Freetail Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: elNopalero on 10-12-2011)
Reviews by elNopalero:
3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a golden color with some foam. Much hoppier than I’d expect for a festbier, without the maltiness I look for. It’s weirdly sweet, with some prominent sour/tartness on the finish that throws the whole beer off balance for my tastes. Not the ‘dessert’ beer I was hoping for. That doesn’t make it a bad beer, just not what I had in mind. If this was listed as a pale ale or an experimental amber ale I definitely wouldn’t have felt disappointed. It just doesn’t work for me.

Update:

So I’m stumped. It’s not a traditionally brewed Marzen, which would explain my reaction to it. I’m honestly not sure what to classify it as, but this clears up some of my confusion.

From Freetail’s (http://www.freetailbrewing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=124) description:

OktoberFiesta is based on an award-winning recipe from area homebrewer Steve Stambaugh – a traditional German-style Märzen brewed to celebrate the marriage of Crown Price Ludwig to Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen back in 1810—now known as Oktoberfest. You should know by now that nothing gets through our brewhouse without a Freetail twist and OktoberFiesta is no exception. Instead of using bottom-fermenting yeast and lagering all summer, OktoberFiesta uses a specially cultivated Belgian abbey yeast strain to give it a unique house character.

elNopalero, Oct 12, 2011

Texasfan549, Sep 24, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

duff247, Dec 18, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Traditional clear copper-amber color with a thin off white head that leaves a ring around the center.

Aroma: Caramel, toffee and spicy yeasty notes that are not typically found in a Marzen, but that would make since with the Belgian yeast strain.

Taste: Caramel with fruity and bready notes and hints of spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation and a clean dry finish.

Overall: It was good and I like the added complexity that the yeast adds, normally I feel this style are some what boring.

jamescain, Oct 26, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +9%

t0rin0, Oct 01, 2012
OktoberFiesta 2011 from Freetail Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.