Saison D'Schoppe - Freetail Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Freetail Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: elNopalero on 03-09-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 1
Reviews by elNopalero:
4.45/5  rDev n/a

Also described as the funkiest of show, this saison wasn’t quite love-hate amongst the friends at my table but we all agreed it was pretty funky.

It poured a cloudy-cider musty-yellow color with thin lacing. I smelled what I would best describe as chai spices—minus the tea and milk for that matter—with cardamom being the most apparent. I thought of some aromas similar to absinthe as well, in a herbal, medicinal sort of vein. The flavor has all sorts of things going on. It makes me think of a lighter, saison version of some of the gruits I’ve tried in the herbal, medicinal flavor and finish. But then there’s this long, floral finish that contrasts the funky flavor, some cardamom notes, a touch of sweetness, and a hint of citrusy hops mixed in as well. Challenging, curious, and definitely not for everyone.

*Note: According to Freetail they used rosemary, peppercorn, and both green and black cardamom to brew this. As an aside, I only recently smelled black cardamom and found it to have such an amazing quality I remember thinking ‘I’d love to see what this is like in a beer.’ So, voila!

to view more.
Saison D'Schoppe from Freetail Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.