Lustrum - Wild Sour Anniversary Ale - Driftwood Brewery

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Wild Ale |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: JasonLovesBeer on 10-29-2013

Lustrum Wild Sour Ale pushes the perception of what beer can become!

Lustrum is our 4th release from our Bird of Prey series and commemorates our 5th Anniversary of crafting beer in Victoria! Aged for over a year in French Oak this blood red vinous beast holds depth of color, flavor and aroma unparraled in any beer we have brewed thus far. Fermented with locally sourced wild yeast and a copious load of black currants, Lustrum will be enjoyed on many levels!

In ancient Roman times the Lustrum represented a 5 year period. Driftwood Brewery has sacrificed the contents of 18 highly prized barrels of this sour beast for your enjoyment and to help us celebrate an amazing first five years!

Cheers!
Ratings: 33 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by JefferyYoung:

None found.

3.82/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance. Pours a deep, opaque plum purple with a finger of thick, deep pink, bordering on red head. Looks pretty amazing and maybe even a little ominous.

Smell. Red berries and currants, dank wood and a belgian lambic like funk with a slighty medicinal/mineral quality going on. There's also a touch of leather and some booze coming through.

Taste. Currants and some of that medicinal smell I was picking up ...it's actually bordering on bandaid flavour and is fairly strong. Very little sourness but there is a light tartness. Hopefully this will increase with a little time. Decent amount of barrel wood in the finish, a little bit astringent.

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body, medium-low carbonation.

Overall. My expectations were high based on past beers in the series. Don't get me wrong, it's decent, but not on the same level of the last one. Maybe it will improve down the road like Mad Bruin did.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle: Poured a deep blueish color ale with a light pinkish color head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of fresh blackberries notes is well balanced against the tart notes of the based beer. Taste is a well balanced mix of tart and funky notes with some fresh raspberries and a hint of residual sugar. Oak and vinous notes are minimal and not overly powerful. Body is quite full with good carbonation with no apparent alcohol. Another very enjoyable wild ale from Driftwood.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to FondueVoodoo (i think).

Pours a blood red with hues of pink. Flavors of port, oak, raspberry, black cherries. Very satisfying but a bomber was a bit much for one sitting.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This arrived in private liquor stores this afternoon and here I am a few hours later.

A: Quite marvelous and unique looking. Dark red/purple, deep and nearly opaque. The head is a pinkish red - not a reddish pink. It's dark.

S: Funk before fruit. The black currants kind of smell like cherry but with a deeper texture. Lots of lacticness and barnyard quality.

T: Prickly to start, though not puckering. Currants are tart-sweet, oak and grape present to the point it tastes like a heavy red wine for a moment. Then the lactic funk builds, and continues to build into a woody, funky finish. Quite lactic. It finishes with heat, as if it were spicy but there's no spice to speak of, just some alcohol that's no longer trying to hide itself.

M: Carbonation is really nice, like what you'd expect from a fizzy sour cherry ale. Body is light like one, too.

O: At first I was like "Dang.. not Belle Royale level." But as I get through more of the bottle I realize it's pretty excellent in its own right - very interesting and quite drinkable.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

650ml bomber poured into tulip 13/6/14, thanks Rutager for the chance to drink one today and a couple for down the road

A pours a deep purple with a light purple foam, the color caught me off guard to be honest I just wasn't expecting it, two fingers of noisy foam falls to a thick film and stays there right to the bottom leaving a few random patches here and there

S blueberries and black current, come out strong, very strong and it reminds me of the over ripe blackberries and boysenberries I pick out of my moms garden, jammy as all hell, some moldy wet wood but I doubt I'd guess this spent over a year in a barrel, the yeast is hard to miss but not overly funky, think blueberry Yop with some booze, incredible nose

T strange yeast profile and less of the fruit that was blowing me away on the nose, I had some chocolate covered acai berries not that long ago and this beers reminding of that but with sour chocolate. I can't think of anything else like this, tastes great but the nose was a nearly impossible act to follow

M tart and slightly sour but not a whole lot of pucker, slippery on the palate almost to the point of oily, bubbles fluff up quickly but stop short of foam, long finish of fruity funk

O this one got me thinking and I always like that, as hard as I tried I never fully wrapped my head around the yeast, I'm curious to how much fruit they used because it plays a powerful part

I'm very stoked I have a couple of these to drink down the road, I'm very curious to see the fruit fade and perhaps the yeast will come out stronger? One of the better liquids I've put my nose to in recent memory and not exactly lacking elsewhere, original and awesome

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A: Deep purple liquid with slight purple head.

S: Blackcurrants, lactobacillus, oak and yeast.

T: Blackcurrants and oak mostly. It tastes as if the lactobacillus still has a long way to go to in fermenting this beer before it starts to become more dried out.

M: Medium to thick viscosity and a medium level of carbonation.

O: I'm glad I bought a second one to cellar. I'm going to revisit this beer in a minimum of six months because I think it is a bit too fruity still.

Although the blackcurrant flavour has a long history in brewing in such hops as Strisselspalt and Bramling Cross; as good as this is, I think this beer would have been much tastier if it was made with blackberries and was paired up with Pacific Gem hops. The blackcurrant flavour seems best suited for lagers such as Kronenberg and stouts such as Ballast Point Sea Monster.

Nonetheless, kudos for Driftwood for trying something different. For all I know, this could taste fantastic in a few months just like the Oud Bruin they did last year.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just out today, and have been looking forward to this.

A: Dark, cherry red. Hold it up to the light and you can barely see any of the colour shine through. Head is thick and retains through drinking, clinging on down the glass as you go. It's a deep pink, like a strawberry chocolate mousse. The whole think has a "chocolate cherry" look.

S: Definitely funky, and in equal measures fruity. Cherry, raspberry, black currant, and grassy notes shine through.

T: More sweet than sour up front (not 'fruit beer' sweet, mind) with the berries coming through. An oaky and somewhat coffee flavour follows which then fades into a smooth caramel note. The sour picks up at this point with the funk you'd expect. Finishes bitter and tart.

M: Small, sharp bubbles that aren't overly aggressive makes a nice balance with the sour sweetness. Nice light mouthfeel that just coats the tongue enough in flavour.

O: Love the balance of this. An excellent beer no doubt, and worthy of their anniversary.

Lustrum - Wild Sour Anniversary Ale from Driftwood Brewery