Pilsner Doehnel - Driftwood Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 16 | Reviews: 3
Reviews by Niceroad77:
3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Judging (love judging) by the style mainly here. Have not had any pilsners that really stand out in my mind ...though I don't think I've tried many tbh.

Appearance. Pours a fairly clear, lemony-straw with almost 2 fingers of white frothy head. Only a few bands of lace but that probably speaks to the quafability ...fuck I hate that word.

Smell. Citrus (mainly orange and lime zest) and bergemot, A bit of light grainy malt, lightly herbal hops with a very slight floral perfume note. Really nice actually but there's a very slight skunkiness that seems common with the hops.

Taste. Light citrus rinds, slight floral notes and a decent herbal hop bitterness. Just of touch of light graniness. Nice, again.

Mouthfeel. Medium light body, medium carbonation.

Overall. I really enjoyed this one as far as the style goes, can't say the same for most. Would buy again.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A full flavoured pils from Driftwood that seems to focus on the locally sourced malt rather than the hops. The hops do come through buy I got a stronger sense of the malt than the hop. Better than most BC pils but still missing the greatness that I am still looking for in a world class lager

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

Pilsner Doehnel- Driftwood's first foray into the land of the Lager. I must begin with the caveat that I pretty much blindly buy anything that Driftwood releases. I don't always love them, but more often than not I do.

5% ABV, poured from a 650ml bomber.

A- Pours a beautiful pale yellow colour: exactly how a pilsner should pour. Thin white head with some retention and lacing.

S- Not much to write home about. Nose is pretty faint, I get some orange-peel, not much else. This is a little unfortunate, but smell isn't exactly how one defines a pilsner.

T- Bready pale malts, lemongrass, and (importantly) good hop presence to balance the excellent malt flavour. Grassy, citrus hops make this beer balanced and super tasty.

M- Love it. Smooth; crisp; medium carbonation, and an ever-so-slightly resinous hop presence on the finish.

O- Pilsners are often gutless, but this one has character along with drinkability. Probably better than the Moon's Pots Pils, Hoyne Pilsner, or even P49 Pound Sterling. I would love if this came in six packs. The only let-down for me was the nose, but that's not a deal breaker where pilsner is concerned. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both outstanding. Maybe I'm a biased reviewer, but this brew is a winner.

to view more.