1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Driftwood Ale - Driftwood Brewery

Driftwood AleDriftwood Ale

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

A Northwest-style pale ale that presents with the aromas of light citrus and hops blending with a soft & mild malt body and an exceptionally clean & crisp finish. Refreshing from start to finish!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2008)
3.64/5  rDev -5.7%

Iuv, Sep 01, 2014

cfalovo97, Aug 19, 2014

seldomseen, May 28, 2014

JefferyYoung, Mar 05, 2014

Fader, Feb 17, 2014

J-Swan, Feb 01, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 11.29.13.

Beer is clear orange/copper in colour, with a small white head. Head fades fairly quickly.

Nose is hoppy, but not pungently so. Citrus and some pine.

Taste is fairly mild, but nice. Citrus hops provide a moderate bitterness, with a bit of a spicy pine flavour, while the malt provides a slight caramel sweetness. Easy drinking.

Medium bodied, moderate to strong carbonation level. Slightly oily.

Overall, refreshing and fairly tasty, but nothing exciting going on here. Very solid.

jrenihan, Dec 22, 2013
3.59/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first review, so please take it for what it is.

This is an easy drinking ale that has a smooth start with a slightly hoppy, dry finish. Not much in the way of bitterness. Leaves my mouth feeling refreshed, with not much lingering other than the hops. My only criticisms of this beer are that it is slightly too carbonated, and the head doesn't hold up as long as I would like. I like the versatility of this beer. It works in any situation.

RJP159, Nov 07, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle at Luxalune in Winnipeg. From notes.

A - Golden and bright pour with a two finger white head. Good carbonation. Hazier as the bottom portion of the bottle was added. Good lace rings and a half finger of retention.

S - Floral, grapefruit. Nice hop aroma. Pretty much to style.

T - Nice hoppy flavour with lot's of grapefruit, orange, strong hop flavours. Pine in there too with more orange later on.

M - Medium bitterness and light to medium carbonation and a light to medium body. Bitterness penetrates with tons of grapefruit flavour.

O/D - A solid west coast pale ale. Enjoyed it a fair bit and think they nailed the west coast style. Very drinkable.

tbeckett, Oct 05, 2013

krankyjoe, Oct 03, 2013

RXUYDC, Aug 24, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My parents brought this back for me from British Columbia. BTW the bottle I had said Driftwood Pale Ale instead of Driftwood Ale so it is also called Driftwood Pale Ale. That must be an old picture.

Appearance- copper color, slightly cloudy, barely any head

Smell- citrus hops

Taste- citrus hops, slight amount of bitterness, pretty bitter for a pale ale according to my mom and dad who also tried it. I thought it was just fine.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. It is kinda hard for me to get more of it because we don't get it around here. I was lucky enough that my parents brought one back.

jeffjeff1, Aug 05, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

650ml bottle poured into a weizen glass. I bought this one at the BC liquor store on Commercial Drive.

Appearance: beautiful golden colour with lots of head.
Smell: yeast, a bit sweet.
Taste: bitter, a bit citrusy, a bit yeasty. Tastes like, well, your average beer. Certainly not bad, but nothing special... or maybe it's just that I like my beer maltier and less hoppy. I probably wouldn't get this again.

souvenirs, May 30, 2013

KStark, May 24, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

A hoppy beer with bitter tones that linger, especially at the back of the throat/mouth. Has a dry malty feel also . Full bodied lots of flavour with a light brownish look, maybe a little on the hoppy side for a pale ale though. This beer is great on tap as well and is my preferred way to drink it.

One of my favorite Pale Ales that are great for those hot sunny days.

Thunderpants, May 06, 2013

604growler, Apr 03, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap @ Garrick's Head in Victoria.

A - Cloudy medium orange with a huge glow. Thin bright white.

S - Pine, grapefuit and a slight malt sweetness.

T - A good bitterness up front. Grapefruit, tangerine and pine. A slight caramel malt sweetness in the background. Bitter, dry finish.

M - Light to moderate carbonation. Resiny. Moderate carbonation.

TheSevenDuffs, Mar 17, 2013

cbnz, Mar 10, 2013

pudoo, Jan 16, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Picked up in BC, immediately liked the bottle design and wish I could get in in Alberta, hopefully soon I will be able to as the scene grows. Poured into a small-ish glass and split it with my girlfriend. The smell was pleasant, very Northwest hop forward with a touch of caramel malts. The head retention was lovely too, and after my girlfriend took a sip, she decided it was "too hoppy" for her liking. I took a sip and actually agreed that it was a tad hop forward for a pale ale, but I can appreciate that it wasn't a total hop bomb double IPA. I would have labelled this one an IPA myself, maybe I was looking for something a little more mellow, but I liked it overall. Again, I like what these guys are doing and Victoria has quickly become a force to be reckoned with on the Canada craft beer scene.

zachloveshisbeer, Jan 09, 2013