Driftwood Pale Ale - Driftwood Brewery

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2008

This Northwest style pale ale offers a citrus aroma blending with a delicate malt body and a clean refreshing finish. A beer for any occasion.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 73 | Reviews: 31
4.07/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

nice one. great taste. done in 2 minutes

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

If you like pine and the smell of growing marijuana plants, you will love this beer. Mmmmmmm.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Driftwood Brewery 'Pale Ale' @ 5.0% , this is the 'Old' version served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $5.25

A-pour is a pale yellow/gold from the bottle to a slightly hazy gold in the glass with a big frothey off-white head leaving a spotty lace along the pint

S-herbal , hoppy , hint of malt sweetness

T-pleasant tasting pale ale , a mild bitterness with a slight dry finish

MF-seems to be a mild carbonation and a mild medium body

Ov-ok beer , good pale ale , no wow factor

prost LampertLand

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 11.29.13.

Beer is clear orange/copper in colour, with a small white head. Head fades fairly quickly.

Nose is hoppy, but not pungently so. Citrus and some pine.

Taste is fairly mild, but nice. Citrus hops provide a moderate bitterness, with a bit of a spicy pine flavour, while the malt provides a slight caramel sweetness. Easy drinking.

Medium bodied, moderate to strong carbonation level. Slightly oily.

Overall, refreshing and fairly tasty, but nothing exciting going on here. Very solid.

3.57/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first review, so please take it for what it is.

This is an easy drinking ale that has a smooth start with a slightly hoppy, dry finish. Not much in the way of bitterness. Leaves my mouth feeling refreshed, with not much lingering other than the hops. My only criticisms of this beer are that it is slightly too carbonated, and the head doesn't hold up as long as I would like. I like the versatility of this beer. It works in any situation.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle at Luxalune in Winnipeg. From notes.

A - Golden and bright pour with a two finger white head. Good carbonation. Hazier as the bottom portion of the bottle was added. Good lace rings and a half finger of retention.

S - Floral, grapefruit. Nice hop aroma. Pretty much to style.

T - Nice hoppy flavour with lot's of grapefruit, orange, strong hop flavours. Pine in there too with more orange later on.

M - Medium bitterness and light to medium carbonation and a light to medium body. Bitterness penetrates with tons of grapefruit flavour.

O/D - A solid west coast pale ale. Enjoyed it a fair bit and think they nailed the west coast style. Very drinkable.

3.64/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My parents brought this back for me from British Columbia. BTW the bottle I had said Driftwood Pale Ale instead of Driftwood Ale so it is also called Driftwood Pale Ale. That must be an old picture.

Appearance- copper color, slightly cloudy, barely any head

Smell- citrus hops

Taste- citrus hops, slight amount of bitterness, pretty bitter for a pale ale according to my mom and dad who also tried it. I thought it was just fine.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. It is kinda hard for me to get more of it because we don't get it around here. I was lucky enough that my parents brought one back.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

650ml bottle poured into a weizen glass. I bought this one at the BC liquor store on Commercial Drive.

Appearance: beautiful golden colour with lots of head.
Smell: yeast, a bit sweet.
Taste: bitter, a bit citrusy, a bit yeasty. Tastes like, well, your average beer. Certainly not bad, but nothing special... or maybe it's just that I like my beer maltier and less hoppy. I probably wouldn't get this again.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

A hoppy beer with bitter tones that linger, especially at the back of the throat/mouth. Has a dry malty feel also . Full bodied lots of flavour with a light brownish look, maybe a little on the hoppy side for a pale ale though. This beer is great on tap as well and is my preferred way to drink it.

One of my favorite Pale Ales that are great for those hot sunny days.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap @ Garrick's Head in Victoria.

A - Cloudy medium orange with a huge glow. Thin bright white.

S - Pine, grapefuit and a slight malt sweetness.

T - A good bitterness up front. Grapefruit, tangerine and pine. A slight caramel malt sweetness in the background. Bitter, dry finish.

M - Light to moderate carbonation. Resiny. Moderate carbonation.

4.11/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked up in BC, immediately liked the bottle design and wish I could get in in Alberta, hopefully soon I will be able to as the scene grows. Poured into a small-ish glass and split it with my girlfriend. The smell was pleasant, very Northwest hop forward with a touch of caramel malts. The head retention was lovely too, and after my girlfriend took a sip, she decided it was "too hoppy" for her liking. I took a sip and actually agreed that it was a tad hop forward for a pale ale, but I can appreciate that it wasn't a total hop bomb double IPA. I would have labelled this one an IPA myself, maybe I was looking for something a little more mellow, but I liked it overall. Again, I like what these guys are doing and Victoria has quickly become a force to be reckoned with on the Canada craft beer scene.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

650ml bomber poured into pint glass 24/1/12

A golden copper with no visible bubbles but yet there's a thick cap of off white that hangs for most of the glass leaving spider web lacing deep down the glass

S floral and herbal hops with a big hit of honey, caramel, and some fruit

T a little more herbal earthy tones on top of what I smell, solid beer for sure with some leafy tea bag as it warms

M medium bodied with enough tiny bubbles to give it a creamy feel, not sure where the bubbles are hiding because I can't see them, slightly metallic after taste

O pretty solid pale ale going on here, there's some balance and its very easy too drink

I love Driftwood and they just can't do wrong in my books, this is no exception. I love their hop bombs and monsters in a big way and don't seeing myself getting board of their session brews either

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a cloudy golden with a epic fluffy head. Lots of lacing down the glass. Smells of citrus and piney hops. Has plenty of hop flavor up front, balanced out with some malt sweetness. Has a bitter finish, with a nutty aftertaste. Light bodied, with moderate carbonation. Overall, a refreshing, easy drinking ale. I'll have another, please.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

A - bright clear golden, tall soapy head retained well with some lacing
S - gentle aromas of fruits, fresh greens, light toastiness, and a mineral note
T - interesting hop dominant mix of citrus, earthiness, and light pepper, some toasty malt backbone
M - lightish body with medium carbonation, starts juicy and quickly moves to a mild bitter finish
O - a very unassuming but flavourful brew with a great hop profile, I need more Driftwood!!!

4.15/5  rDev +7%

This is my new "go to beer" when I can't make up my mind about what beer to drink for the night. This is the perfect autumn drink and remarkably smooth. After I had finished my drink I found my glass laced from top to bottom. When I had poured the drink, the head remained and did not dissipate even to the very last drop. I found no after taste either, which is something I expect from a good beer.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

I first had this on tap at a pub in east Vancouver and then 2 bottles at home a couple months later.

It has a cloudy, pale orange colour and comes with creamy, light beige head.

It has a yeast aroma with tropical fruits, fruit salad, and a little bit of fresh wood. The taste has some weak orange and comes with a great balance of hops. I get a fruity-fizzy orange aftertaste.

The body feels medium-to-full and has low-to-medium carbonation. Overall great fruity malt beer with good pale ale hops.

3.26/5  rDev -16%

What can I say about this beer? I like the malt aspect of this ale. Its a really easy drinker. Its very smooth and the carbonation is almost perfect. This beer has some bitterness which actually compliments the beer nicely and rounds it out. I could drink this everyday or at a party, but for special occasions this is not what I would reach for. Its a good run of the mill ale nothing more nothing less.

On tap at Uli's Restaurant in White Rock, BC.

A: 1/4" white head that left a nice lacing over semi transparent copper liquid.

S: Yeast and pine hops.

T: Yeast, malt, nuts, and bitter finish.

M: Medium to thin viscosity with a medium to low level of carbonation.

O: A decent and refreshing pale ale. This is the third beer I have had from Vancouver Island that has had a nutty taste...

A paid $16 for this beer unknowingly at a bar, i am pissed!

A: Fine amber color, decent head at first but retention is nothing to write home about. A bit hazy.

S: Its mostly a sweet bread character. Kind of see where the cotton candy is mentioned, but im getting more donuts. Yay, whose at the fair!

T: Sweet malts in the nose, middle is bitter and dry, but doesn't linger.

M: Doesn't really drop into the pockets as i would like for an APA, but it does just fine on the tongue.

D: I am never paying that much for this or just about any beer again...holy lord. i know its not the breweries fault, but it sure as hell isn't my fault.

4.23/5  rDev +9%

Driftwood Ale pours a slightly hazy deep gold with a thin head that lingers nicely. The aroma is citrusy hops, with hints of bready malt. Hops dominate the flavor, bordering on IPA. Tons of citrus and a bit of pine. There is a nice malt sweetness underneath, with a little light caramel. The bitterness is well rounded, and stays low enough to keep me from thinking this is an IPA.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but the quality of the labeling helped influence the purchase.

A - Pours a nice golden colour with an orange hue, finger of head with solid retention and some fine lacing that lingers on the glass.

S - Some very nice citrus hops off the top of the nose on this one. Not overpowering either, which was nice, however, no real malts were noticeable.

T - Again, the hops dominate the flavour, however, the finish is nice and malty with a bit of sweet caramel, and some bready grains which linger. Very nicely balanced, really enjoyable.

M - The bitterness of the hops does not leave your bone dry, as there is a noticeable dryness to the finish, but by no means a turn-off. Nicely balanced carbonation, making it nice and smooth going down.

D - What a delicious surprise and one which I wish was readily available in Alberta. High quality offering and highly recommended to anyone looking for a hoppier take on an English Pale Ale. Yum!

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

From a bomber procured at the Lakeshore Road government store in lovely, but disappointingly cloudy Kelowna, BC...

This beer pours a slightly stained glass pale golden hue, with lots and lots of puffy, foamy off-white head, which leaves some nice webbed lace around the glass as it dutifully recedes. It smells of sweet cereal malt, and mild zingy herbal hops. The taste is more bready cereal malt, with a somewhat funky, organic, prairie lea, herbal hop character. The carbonation is on the low side, the body medium weight, smooth, if only a bit clingy, and it finishes a tad off-dry, the heretofore (to me) unique hop effect standing out.

Definitely in the British style, no doubt there. However, the Pac NW hops sure add an unexpectedly different dimension to the otherwise old-world nature of this pale ale.

3.67/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle at Volo. Pours yellow with some white soapy head that takes its time to settle. The aroma is slightly hoppy. Taste is initially like a subtle ESB, but as being dilluted, the second glass does not build up substantial bitterenss. Towards the end of the bottle, some yeast makes an appearance. Lacey. The mouthfeel would be improved with less carbonation, please.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

A - poured from a 650ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours clear amber with a delicate but bulky head.

S - malt, heavy hops and mint leaf

T - malt and very natural hops. There is a flavor here I find hard to describe but have found present in UK Pale Ales (something linked with the mint leaf scent). I like this flavor and am glad to find it here.

M - medium carbonation, medium body and a balanced finish

D - highly drinkable

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

22 oz bottle, picked up at the BC Liquor Store.

Pours a clear amber/yellow, huge and thick white head forms, very dense, settles down to a thick layer, lots of lace chunks stick to the glass, looks good. Smell is nice, sweet and malty, some sugars, toast, oats, touch of caramel, herbal, lightly floral, apricot, some fruitiness, pretty neat hoppiness. Taste is similar, light floral hopping, apricots, grassy/hay, honey sweetness, some toast, lightly fruity, a bit of herbal and peppery bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty solid brew if nothing special, but Driftwood is definitely making some quality beers.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »