Driftwood Pale Ale - Driftwood Brewery

Driftwood Pale AleDriftwood Pale Ale

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

This Northwest style pale ale offers a citrus aroma blending with a delicate malt body and a clean refreshing finish. A beer for any occasion.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2008)

EskimoDave, Nov 21, 2011

trail77, Jun 06, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

A hoppy beer with bitter tones that linger, especially at the back of the throat/mouth. Has a dry malty feel also . Full bodied lots of flavour with a light brownish look, maybe a little on the hoppy side for a pale ale though. This beer is great on tap as well and is my preferred way to drink it.

One of my favorite Pale Ales that are great for those hot sunny days.

Thunderpants, May 06, 2013

KalanM, Nov 29, 2012

Fader, Feb 17, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Big time session style Pale Ale- Aromatic citrus hop profile not hindered by any deep malt complexity. First taste is nortwest style hops and subltle honey malt like notes with a mild grapefruit contrast as the pallate is refreshed and invorgorated before the exceptionally clean & crisp finish. Nothing boring here. Just a great beer with nothing to hide.

wiessguy, Feb 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

An impressive pale ale that is every bit as good as my faves Full Moon, Alpha King and XP. Can't wait to try this on tap. A pretty hoppy pale ale from British Columbia's new comer. Look forward to more beers from these little guys.An impressive pale ale that is every bit as good as my faves Full Moon, Alpha King and XP. Can't wait to try this on tap. A pretty hoppy pale ale from British Columbia's new comer. Look forward to more beers from these little guys.

hoser, Jul 09, 2009

likeemdark, Aug 25, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Driftwood Ale pours a slightly hazy deep gold with a thin head that lingers nicely. The aroma is citrusy hops, with hints of bready malt. Hops dominate the flavor, bordering on IPA. Tons of citrus and a bit of pine. There is a nice malt sweetness underneath, with a little light caramel. The bitterness is well rounded, and stays low enough to keep me from thinking this is an IPA.

ericj551, Apr 25, 2011

jrempel, Jun 25, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A - bright clear golden, tall soapy head retained well with some lacing
S - gentle aromas of fruits, fresh greens, light toastiness, and a mineral note
T - interesting hop dominant mix of citrus, earthiness, and light pepper, some toasty malt backbone
M - lightish body with medium carbonation, starts juicy and quickly moves to a mild bitter finish
O - a very unassuming but flavourful brew with a great hop profile, I need more Driftwood!!!

joemcgrath27, Jan 08, 2012
4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap @ Garrick's Head in Victoria.

A - Cloudy medium orange with a huge glow. Thin bright white.

S - Pine, grapefuit and a slight malt sweetness.

T - A good bitterness up front. Grapefruit, tangerine and pine. A slight caramel malt sweetness in the background. Bitter, dry finish.

M - Light to moderate carbonation. Resiny. Moderate carbonation.

TheSevenDuffs, Mar 17, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

This is my new "go to beer" when I can't make up my mind about what beer to drink for the night. This is the perfect autumn drink and remarkably smooth. After I had finished my drink I found my glass laced from top to bottom. When I had poured the drink, the head remained and did not dissipate even to the very last drop. I found no after taste either, which is something I expect from a good beer.

cuksumstu, Oct 23, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Picked up in BC, immediately liked the bottle design and wish I could get in in Alberta, hopefully soon I will be able to as the scene grows. Poured into a small-ish glass and split it with my girlfriend. The smell was pleasant, very Northwest hop forward with a touch of caramel malts. The head retention was lovely too, and after my girlfriend took a sip, she decided it was "too hoppy" for her liking. I took a sip and actually agreed that it was a tad hop forward for a pale ale, but I can appreciate that it wasn't a total hop bomb double IPA. I would have labelled this one an IPA myself, maybe I was looking for something a little more mellow, but I liked it overall. Again, I like what these guys are doing and Victoria has quickly become a force to be reckoned with on the Canada craft beer scene.

zachloveshisbeer, Jan 09, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle at Luxalune in Winnipeg. From notes.

A - Golden and bright pour with a two finger white head. Good carbonation. Hazier as the bottom portion of the bottle was added. Good lace rings and a half finger of retention.

S - Floral, grapefruit. Nice hop aroma. Pretty much to style.

T - Nice hoppy flavour with lot's of grapefruit, orange, strong hop flavours. Pine in there too with more orange later on.

M - Medium bitterness and light to medium carbonation and a light to medium body. Bitterness penetrates with tons of grapefruit flavour.

O/D - A solid west coast pale ale. Enjoyed it a fair bit and think they nailed the west coast style. Very drinkable.

tbeckett, Oct 05, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +6%

A - poured from a 650ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours clear amber with a delicate but bulky head.

S - malt, heavy hops and mint leaf

T - malt and very natural hops. There is a flavor here I find hard to describe but have found present in UK Pale Ales (something linked with the mint leaf scent). I like this flavor and am glad to find it here.

M - medium carbonation, medium body and a balanced finish

D - highly drinkable

Grunewald, Nov 19, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

650ml bomber poured into pint glass 24/1/12

A golden copper with no visible bubbles but yet there's a thick cap of off white that hangs for most of the glass leaving spider web lacing deep down the glass

S floral and herbal hops with a big hit of honey, caramel, and some fruit

T a little more herbal earthy tones on top of what I smell, solid beer for sure with some leafy tea bag as it warms

M medium bodied with enough tiny bubbles to give it a creamy feel, not sure where the bubbles are hiding because I can't see them, slightly metallic after taste

O pretty solid pale ale going on here, there's some balance and its very easy too drink

I love Driftwood and they just can't do wrong in my books, this is no exception. I love their hop bombs and monsters in a big way and don't seeing myself getting board of their session brews either

wordemupg, Jan 25, 2012