Fat Tug IPA - Driftwood Brewery

Fat Tug IPAFat Tug IPA

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Fat Tug is a northwest style India Pale Ale that is characterized by an intense hop profile of grapefruit & melon and restrained malt notes. At 7 % alc/vol and 80+ IBUs this beer delivers layers of aroma and flavor that is sure to satisfy anyone with a thirst for all things hoppy!

(Beer added by: ericj551 on 10-26-2010)

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Wow what a beer! The best IPA I have ever had, and to this day I still haven't found one that compares. Amazing intense hoppy profile with hints of fruity flavours and a touch of malt.

If you like hoppy, then this beer is for you, but be careful at 7% alcohol this beer will get you going in a hurry. I only recommend 2 per sitting then try something else.

Currently my favorite beer!

Great tasting beer... This surely is the best IPA in the world. One of my favourite. Very hoppy - the bitter is just right. Great aroma!

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

I finally tried one of these today, and it is definitely my favourite IPA of all those I can remember by name, and equal to an excellent one I remember having at an American micro-brew pub (in Long Beach; Rock Bottom brewery perhaps). By far better than the IPAs from other local micro breweries which I have always found underwhelming - one is too malty, the other not carbonated enough for my liking.

The taste is very strong hops, with an amazing bitterness, and a delicious citrus-cannabis-bergamot aftertaste. No heavy malty flavours or anything to distract from this delicious hoppiness, and the hops taste fresh and, despite being very powerful, delicate. Nice carbonation; not too strong but not weak and syrupy either.

Three thumbs up.

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

I absolutely love this beer. Of all the IPAs out there (not the doubles), this is my current favourite, and has been for a while. It's extremely hoppy at 80 IBUs, but very easy to drink and goes great with any hearty meal - or it goes great with eating nothing at all. It really packs a nice sufficient punch by the end but you can't help but go back for more. This might very well be my favourite beer from any BC brewery at this moment; I'm blessed that I can find this in liquor stores and on tap in the area, even if you have to pay a bit of a premium at $6.50 per 650mL for it.

At a penny a millilitre, it's worth it, 100%. Do yourself a favour and check it out.

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

I love the s*** out of the beer. I first had it about a year ago but it is unavailable here in Toronto so I stocked up on my last trip to BC. Driftwood is one of the best breweries in Canada because the beers are true to their styles and consistent.

So, this beer is a textbook IPA. The colour is a fine hazy apricot with white head.

The complex smells are rad: citrus, resin, peaches, subtle ammonia.

It tastes of grapefruit, tangerine, with a lingering herbaceous and dominant bittering. The flavour arrives in waves first with a grapefruit, citrus flood surge followed by a light refreshing ebb and finally you get the tsunami of bitter. F**k yeah!

The mouth feel is pleasingly dry based on a 7% abv (which is well hidden otherwise) and generous hopping.

Now as far as presentation goes they do a great job. They have unique graphic design and plastic easy to peal labels the likes of which I haven't seen before. The bottles are exclusively in the 650ml format and away you f**king go.

When its done you will think to yourself "Man, I could really treat myself to a nice Fat Tug right now"

Drink this well balanced IPA work of art with spicy curry and enjoy your burps. Thank me later.

4.83/5  rDev +11%

Step up to the top of the IPA class in BC . An IPA that delivers all the hoppy goodness that we expect but with a complex piny , grapefruity finish that is backed up with tons of malt. I found it very balanced but not shy on the hops. Central City , Phillips and Tree are all available in Government stores in 6 packs making them more accessible and easier to consume but this may be my favourite BC IPA

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%