2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Tug IPA - Driftwood Brewery

Fat Tug IPAFat Tug IPA

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Fat Tug is a northwest style India Pale Ale that is characterized by an intense hop profile of grapefruit & melon and restrained malt notes. At 7 % alc/vol and 80+ IBUs this beer delivers layers of aroma and flavor that is sure to satisfy anyone with a thirst for all things hoppy!

(Beer added by: ericj551 on 10-26-2010)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 218 | Reviews: 80 | Show All Ratings:
Thunderpants

British Columbia (Canada)

Wow what a beer! The best IPA I have ever had, and to this day I still haven't found one that compares. Amazing intense hoppy profile with hints of fruity flavours and a touch of malt.

If you like hoppy, then this beer is for you, but be careful at 7% alcohol this beer will get you going in a hurry. I only recommend 2 per sitting then try something else.

Currently my favorite beer!

05-06-2013 21:28:07 | More by Thunderpants
WalterWalter

4.97/5  rDev +14%

I finally tried one of these today, and it is definitely my favourite IPA of all those I can remember by name, and equal to an excellent one I remember having at an American micro-brew pub (in Long Beach; Rock Bottom brewery perhaps). By far better than the IPAs from other local micro breweries which I have always found underwhelming - one is too malty, the other not carbonated enough for my liking.

The taste is very strong hops, with an amazing bitterness, and a delicious citrus-cannabis-bergamot aftertaste. No heavy malty flavours or anything to distract from this delicious hoppiness, and the hops taste fresh and, despite being very powerful, delicate. Nice carbonation; not too strong but not weak and syrupy either.

Three thumbs up.

11-10-2010 04:47:43 | More by WalterWalter
beerSexualizer

Ontario (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

I love the s*** out of the beer. I first had it about a year ago but it is unavailable here in Toronto so I stocked up on my last trip to BC. Driftwood is one of the best breweries in Canada because the beers are true to their styles and consistent.

So, this beer is a textbook IPA. The colour is a fine hazy apricot with white head.

The complex smells are rad: citrus, resin, peaches, subtle ammonia.

It tastes of grapefruit, tangerine, with a lingering herbaceous and dominant bittering. The flavour arrives in waves first with a grapefruit, citrus flood surge followed by a light refreshing ebb and finally you get the tsunami of bitter. F**k yeah!

The mouth feel is pleasingly dry based on a 7% abv (which is well hidden otherwise) and generous hopping.

Now as far as presentation goes they do a great job. They have unique graphic design and plastic easy to peal labels the likes of which I haven't seen before. The bottles are exclusively in the 650ml format and away you f**king go.

When its done you will think to yourself "Man, I could really treat myself to a nice Fat Tug right now"

Drink this well balanced IPA work of art with spicy curry and enjoy your burps. Thank me later.

11-20-2011 13:51:58 | More by beerSexualizer
timtwoface

4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

I absolutely love this beer. Of all the IPAs out there (not the doubles), this is my current favourite, and has been for a while. It's extremely hoppy at 80 IBUs, but very easy to drink and goes great with any hearty meal - or it goes great with eating nothing at all. It really packs a nice sufficient punch by the end but you can't help but go back for more. This might very well be my favourite beer from any BC brewery at this moment; I'm blessed that I can find this in liquor stores and on tap in the area, even if you have to pay a bit of a premium at $6.50 per 650mL for it.

At a penny a millilitre, it's worth it, 100%. Do yourself a favour and check it out.

11-28-2011 01:43:12 | More by timtwoface
canucklehead

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

Step up to the top of the IPA class in BC . An IPA that delivers all the hoppy goodness that we expect but with a complex piny , grapefruity finish that is backed up with tons of malt. I found it very balanced but not shy on the hops. Central City , Phillips and Tree are all available in Government stores in 6 packs making them more accessible and easier to consume but this may be my favourite BC IPA

02-04-2011 18:43:03 | More by canucklehead
Rutager

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

First BA review :-)

Bomber bought from Brewery Creek. Recomended by the lovely, friendly girl behind the counter after asking about the sold out Deschutes Hop Trip which I intended to buy more of.

Appearance: After a somewhat (anxious?) agressive pour, light orange with beautiful off-white, two finger head which dissipates after a couple minutes. Nice lacing.

Smell: Piney, grapes and lemon.

Taste: Hoppy indeed!! Pine-tree sap, crisp underipe grapefruit. Slight caramel and lemon.

Mouthfeel. Oily bitterness that last just long enough. Medium carbonation. Alchohol present but very well hidden

Drinkability: Went through this too fast and wished I had another!! Looks like this will be added to the regular rotation for at least the next while.

Overall: First Driftwood product for me and not a moment too soon. Will be keeping my eye out for this bad boy of a hop fix. Looking forward to trying more from these guys!!

01-08-2011 00:36:46 | More by Rutager
jwchestnut

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my all-time favorites from my one time home - a month old bottle brought by a generous friend from Vancouver. Beautiful amber orange color. Lovely white head with tight bubbles that fades into a ring around the top. Nose is full of citrus fruit, a little pineapple and mango, lots of pine needles and a sweet biscuity malt. The taste follows the nose but heavier on the pine flavors and a little grassy maybe - very well balanced with no flavors dominating the palate and a gentle bitterness at the sides of the mouth. Smooth mouthfeel, medium carbonation. Again, so thankful to have this one brought as a gift - very smooth, drinkable and one of my all time favorites. Highly recommended.

02-09-2014 13:23:59 | More by jwchestnut
cosmicevan

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

many a thanks goes out to DaftCaskBC for a taste of some canadian pride!

a - opened the bottle and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip. beer poured a soft transparent yellow orange with classic white frothy head. great lively carbonation could be seen racing to the surface. my mouth is now watering.

s - my oh my...THAT'S what you look for in an ipa smell. rich THICK lush hops. citric blast. grapefruit. excellentness.

t - bitter blast at first...assaulting. i was expecting more citrus like the nose suggested. it's all there, but the bittery blast dominates everything. once my palette got used to the bitterness, the classic ipa flavors in the nose really came out. great hop presence...great sweetness. this is one for the hopheads and the hopheads in training.

m - full bodied. sticky.

o - overall, this is an exceptional ipa. this can hang with all the big boys and put em to shame. i am shocked that i haven't heard about this one before. why are people not shouting from the rooftops about this beer?

m -

11-19-2011 02:36:15 | More by cosmicevan
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Wow, excellent beer! Poured at a good temperature with a decent sized, foamy, cream-colored head that settled after a bit and some lace. Color is a clear amber with lots of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is hop, malt, caramel, wet grain. Flavor's where this really shines: similar to nose, but so much richer with just enough sweet to perfectly match the already balanced bitter and carbonic tang, plus pine resin, a little grapefruit, toast, toffee, wheat. Body and carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, of average length, and super drinkable. Wish I had loads more and that we could get it here in La Crosse, Wis.

10-27-2012 01:14:21 | More by drpimento
djbreezy

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

appearance - brilliant transparent orange, graceful white head, strong retention, beautiful sticky lacing

smell - citrus and grapefruit hop notes, tropical

taste - a burst of tropical hops with pineapple and dominant grapefruit flavors, hop forward with some mild malt body, orange peel on the finish

mouthfeel - medium body, slick, bubbly carbonation, slightly dry finish

overall - flavorful hops that provide a nice grapefruit/orange flavor balance, west coast style ipa, highly enjoyable, unbelievable flavor for a single ipa

02-11-2012 03:40:03 | More by djbreezy
sukwonee

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Two 22oz bottles purchased for around $10 (very expensive!!) at a local Whole Foods. There is no best before date or bottled date, but I know this is fresh because I go to this particular Whole Foods about 2-3 times a week (and I picked this up as soon as I saw it on the shelf).

As far as I know, Metro Seattle is the only place in the US that gets beers from Driftwood - so I feel very lucky (this, one along with two others - Singularity & Old Cellar Dweller, is amazing!)

A: It looks good. Nice lacing. One finger head. Burnt orange color.

S: Grapefruit, Pine, Peach, Floral, Orange? maybe

T: Starts with hop bitterness and then followed by sweetness, then finishes with lingering bitterness. Grapefruit, Pine, a bit of peach. Even 2-3 minutes after my last sip, I can taste this beer in my mouth. Well balanced too I would add.

M: Low carbonation (smooth), Medium-to-full body.

O: I really liked this beer. I enjoyed this better than the Red Racer IPA (Which is another great IPA from Canada). Seek this one out! Driftwood is becoming one of my fav breweries with its offerings!

04-01-2012 22:45:21 | More by sukwonee
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another new one for the day, this was the big DIPA we were missing yesterday afternoon so we needed to find one to make a grand appearance and here we had it. Served cold and split into two pint glasses, this was consumed on 04/24/2011.

What a nice pour that came out of this one. A lighter than I would have expected amber color, was almost a golden pale with loads of carbonation and a huge billowing white head that sat on top with a large amount of foam that stuck to the sides and dripped down the glass.

A huge aroma then came wafting through the air. Lots of orange rind, grapefruit, and hints of lemon that layer on top of a light grain and bready base that offers a nice touch of balance but without distracting from the real gem here that was the since hop. Very light for as strong as it was, I really did not expect that at all. It was almost trying to deceive you with its full strength as the light hops and lingering dryness in the flavor left you thirsting for more, but at over 10% you were quickly reminded of its real strength.

Overall a very solid DIPA. It comes with a long line of simcoe forward big ipas that have come before it but this one really works. Besides you have to love the Canadian aspect to it, overall a hit and a nice way to roll into the mid afternoon.

04-25-2011 22:26:04 | More by mikesgroove
loren01

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Picked this up at NW liquid gold. Pours a nice clear orange color with frothy white head great lacing down the glass
S: Wow...this smells really good. Very citrusy, also some pineapple scent in there.
T: Tons of pine and citrusy flavors, just a bit of sweet malt up front but dominated by a bit hop bite
M: Medium bodied beer. Oily mouthfeel
O: This is one of the best IPA's i have had in a long time. Great stuff.

03-01-2012 03:54:49 | More by loren01
Siriusfisherman

Montana

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have reviewed this previously on tap from the Alibi Room in Vancouver. I got hold of an incredibly fresh bottle all the way out in Fernie, BC while I was up from Montana. I must say, this beer's delicate hop character translates incredibly well into bottled form. The hop profile is very untraditional, the citrus is there, but it plays second hand to the more forward melon and mango characters. Usually I can tell what hops went into a beer, this one I am absolutely stumped. For me, it checks almost everything on the list, I have not complaints. It is a one of a kind IPA, and it is the work of brewers that clearly know what they are doing. I hope to see more brewers coming up with unique IPAs like this one.

08-25-2012 05:32:54 | More by Siriusfisherman
1stOffender

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favourite BC beer of all time. It was the first real IPA I ever had and nothing can prepare a person for what that introduction is like. The intensity and balance of the citrusy, hoppy grapefruit and melon was like meeting a beautiful woman...you'll never forget that first time. In fact, it was Fat Tug that led me down the road of loving craft beer and the desire to try everything else in a brown bottle with the hopes to re-live that experience over again. Thank you Driftwood and thank you Billy Miner Pub. I love you both...

06-21-2013 03:37:11 | More by 1stOffender
LiquidAmber

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a Black Raven imperial pint glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a one finger fine off-white head with good retention and nice lacing. Whooee, a delicious aroma of herbal hops, pineapple and light fruit wafted from the glass as I poured this ale, one of the more complex aromatic IPAs I've run into. The flavor does not disappoint from the tempting pour. Caramel malt, intense piney and herbal hops tapering into a citrusy malt and hop finish leaving pleasant hop aftertaste. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. Very nicely done and could give many imperial IPAs a run for their money. Good job. I've really enjoyed everything from this brewery.

02-10-2012 05:03:52 | More by LiquidAmber
LampertLand

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Driftwood Brewery 'Fat Tug IPA' @ 7.0% , served from a growler purchased for $12 , and had on tap or can be found in 650 ml bottle's for about $6

A-pour is a light gold from the growler to a clear amber in the glass with a big frothey off-white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint

S-citrus with a hint of pine , fresh

T-crisp & clean , big malt base , citrus with more pine coming thru in the taste

MF-ok/good carbonation , good full body

Ov-great beer , world class IPA , plus it's local , gotta love the Canadian side of the PNW

prost LampertLand

Serving type: growler

03-17-2014 06:09:15 | More by LampertLand
Derek

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

The much anticipated IPA from Driftwood...

A: Clear gold with a white head, great retention and lacing.

S: Huge, perfumy aroma. Plenty of tangerine and grapefruit rind, floral, pine and a little cattiness.

T: Pine, grapefruit rind, nectarine, tangerine, assertive bitterness, candied pineapple, sponge toffee, mild alcohol, great stuff!

M: Moderate body is smooth, with a modest carbonation and a light hop acidity.

D: If you're a hop head and think 7% isn't sessionable, THINK AGAIN!

This is right up there with Red Racer... a hop lovers dream. I'm not sure if there's quite as much finishing (aroma) hops, but there's plenty of flavour and a bit more bitterness.

An all-around great brew!

11-09-2010 03:49:59 | More by Derek
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

650ml bottle poured into tulip april16 2011

A clear orange copper with decent carbonation feeding a solid two fingers of off white that retains quite well and leaves lots of scattered lace

S citric hops are very apparent, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, lime and the list goes on in terms of tropical fruit. There's also a little spring forest both pine and just a little spruce, zero booze and just enough malty toffee to keep the hops from having complete control

T thankfully it mimics the smell quite well but with more citric rind opposed to the fruity flesh, pretty solid IPA going on here and I'm proud of the fact this is from my preferred side of the border because it could hold its own against anything from state side

M medium bodied and has a nice bitter bite without stripping the enamel off my teeth, flavors linger and the carbonation's just right

O zero flaws and close to perfection in many areas, I could drink myself stupid with this beer without thinking twice if I only had the chance here in Alberta

this really is a kick ass IPA from "our" West Coast, an IPA and 1/2 perhaps and oh so worth seeking out. An entire bomber went down in no time flat and if I had regular access to this I'd be drinking it daily. If your an agent reading this DO WHAT EVER YOU CAN TO GET THIS BEER/BREWERY IN YOUR ALBERTA PORTFOLIO, if your just a geek off the street drink this every time you get the chance. Did I mention chickenm is the man for getting this bad boy into my filthy hands?

04-17-2011 06:19:32 | More by wordemupg
dirtylou

22oz bomber, consumed during the super bowl

GO GIANTS

from notes

appearance: served in my delirium chalice, glowing orange-amber body, frothy beige lace

smell: fresh citrus zest, some of that lovely NW pine, tangerine, honey, black peppered cracker

taste: bright fresh flavors - citrus zest, ruby red grapefruit, spruce and pine, pepper, crackery malts, the perfect touch of sweetness and alcohol. The hops are clean and fresh - another fantastic IPA from north of the border

mouthfeel: fresh and vibrant

overall: great stuff

02-19-2012 22:58:07 | More by dirtylou
smekermann

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle of this at a BCLS earlier this wonderful evening. Unfortunately, Driftwood doesn't yet date their bottles, so I have no idea how fresh this is. Given that this IPA is somewhat hop-heavy, that is somewhat important and should probably be rectified sooner rather than later.

I'm fairly familiar with this beer. Actually, I guess I should rephrase that: I thought I was familiar with this beer. It had a nice hop profile and proved to be really easy drinking for being 7% ABV, although as time went on, I found it to be somewhat bottom-heavy. The initial mouthfeel was great, but the aftertaste was a bit too bitter and not as crisp as some of the IPAs I'd had from the golden land of Californy. In the interim, I even took a trip down to San Francisco in January and overloaded on some pretty amazing IPAs and DIPAs. I came back to BC thinking that BC IPAs would never compare to the stuff I'd had down there. For the most part, I was right. Central City IPA was a bit too malty and I had to double check the can to make sure I didn't pick up the ESB on accident, the hop profile being less impressive than I had remembered; Switchback IPA was better, with a nice hop profile, citrusy and piny and crisp, although it had a very familiar beta acid bitterness on the end of the aftertaste.

And then I finally found a bottle of Fat Tug IPA. I approached it with apprehension. Before my trip to CA, I viewed it as a great IPA -- one of the best brewed in BC, alongside Hop Therapy (different classes, obviously). I didn't want to ruin that impression. As it turns out, my fears were completely misplaced, because this is an even better beer than I remembered it to be. I'm not sure if it was just because I had a really fresh bottle (and with BCLS, it's really hard to tell, not to mention they don't refrigerate their beers) or they tweaked the recipe or what, but it surprised the hell out of me.

The appearance is a somewhat hazy golden amber with a pretty great off-white head and lacing on the glass. The initial smell is a gorgeous citrusy hop smell, with some bready malts way at the back. The taste is really crisp citrus hops. As you allow the taste to permeate, you begin to notice a fairly solid malt backing that adds a great balance to the beer (something that I'd never really noticed before). The aftertaste was surprisingly light and fairly crisp. Like I said, this was pretty astounding to me as I remember the aftertaste being a lot heavier and way more bitter but, again, I'm not sure if it's just due to the fact that I had a really fresh bottle or if Driftwood tweaked their recipe any. Driftwood plz add bottling dates to your IPAs ok thanks :(

Overall, I'm really glad I revisited this beer. It used to be really good for BC IPAs, now I can say with certainty that it's better than most of the IPAs I've had in the Pacific Northwest and maybe only a notch or so below the best (single) IPAs found in Southern California. This seems like a somewhat back-handed compliment but it really isn't. Trust me.

Edit: as of March 2013, Driftwood has started printing bottling dates on the cap of their beers. Truly the Best Brewery.

02-08-2013 09:19:45 | More by smekermann
Jfriz25

Wisconsin

4.49/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Slightly murky yellow with hints of orange. Nice white head that leaves great lacing.

Smell- Sweet malt, pine, and a little booze. It's always a good sign when the smell wafts out of the bottle as soon as you open it.

Taste- If I had a complaint it would be that it is a touch one note, mostly pine. It is impressively crisp and dry with zero booze despite being 7%

Mouthfeel- This might be the highlight of the beer. I love a nice crisp clean IPA and this certainly fits the bill. It is heavy enough to be satisfying but light enough where it isn't coating your mouth.

Overall- Really glad I got to try this one; it definetly should be in the conversation of best IPA. It reminded me most of older Pliny where the tropical fruit is gone and the pine starts coming through.

07-09-2013 23:57:51 | More by Jfriz25
DaftCaskBC

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

A: 1/2" creamy white and soapy head over cloudy amber liquid.

S: Citrus and pine hops and the smell of malt. Very refreshing and clean smelling.

T: Front loaded with pine and bitter hops, and backloaded with a malty and nutty aftertaste.

M: Medium thickness, and medium carbonation.

O: Refreshing IPA,with piney and purfumey hops. Not a session beer.

07-09-2011 00:12:21 | More by DaftCaskBC
6pkhbt

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%

This is an exceptional beer and among the best IPAs I've ever had. A fine evolution as well as, to my taste, it was nowhere near this good when it first came out. Nice clean sweet malt character without the overuse of darker coloured malts. Beautiful citrus hopping with some pungent higher alpha content. Slight protien and yeast haze that roughs up and dulls the hop clarity somewhat however.

A beautiful beer when fresh and that is the key. I've had huge variability with the bottled version from fresh and delicious to oxidized and returned. I personally can't abide oxidized character in hoppy beers so I watch the date code carefully now which unfortunately here is a best before type instead of a production date type. The latter is much more informative, but I should be thankful I have one at all.

03-03-2012 17:07:00 | More by 6pkhbt
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves great lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of citrus, grapefruit and pineapple (very tropical), piney resins and sweet caramelly malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some nice citrus and grapefruit notes, some pineapple, a nice resiny pine bitterness, some breadiness and sweet caramelly malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas.

10-11-2013 20:42:06 | More by SebD