Fat Tug IPA - Driftwood Brewery

Fat Tug IPAFat Tug IPA

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: ericj551 on 10-26-2010

Fat Tug is a northwest style India Pale Ale that is characterized by an intense hop profile of grapefruit & melon and restrained malt notes. At 7 % alc/vol and 80+ IBUs this beer delivers layers of aroma and flavor that is sure to satisfy anyone with a thirst for all things hoppy!
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 335 | Reviews: 94

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Great aroma and better taste

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a beautiful amber with a thick creamy straw colured head that clings to the glass. After the bold scent of pine hits your nose you will notice aromas of grapefruit, pineapple and mangos. First taste is bold and full of oily pine and tropical fruits quickly follow. A subtle toffee malt flavour comes through on the swallow. A wonderfully bready aftertaste that brings back fond memories of my grandmother's homemade german sourdough bread served fresh from the oven. I there is such a thing as "Comfort Beer", this is it. I would put this up against any other DIPA from around the world. As close to a perfectly balanced beer as I've ever tasted.

4.71/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

many a thanks goes out to DaftCaskBC for a taste of some canadian pride!

a - opened the bottle and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip. beer poured a soft transparent yellow orange with classic white frothy head. great lively carbonation could be seen racing to the surface. my mouth is now watering.

s - my oh my...THAT'S what you look for in an ipa smell. rich THICK lush hops. citric blast. grapefruit. excellentness.

t - bitter blast at first...assaulting. i was expecting more citrus like the nose suggested. it's all there, but the bittery blast dominates everything. once my palette got used to the bitterness, the classic ipa flavors in the nose really came out. great hop presence...great sweetness. this is one for the hopheads and the hopheads in training.

m - full bodied. sticky.

o - overall, this is an exceptional ipa. this can hang with all the big boys and put em to shame. i am shocked that i haven't heard about this one before. why are people not shouting from the rooftops about this beer?

m -

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

appearance - brilliant transparent orange, graceful white head, strong retention, beautiful sticky lacing

smell - citrus and grapefruit hop notes, tropical

taste - a burst of tropical hops with pineapple and dominant grapefruit flavors, hop forward with some mild malt body, orange peel on the finish

mouthfeel - medium body, slick, bubbly carbonation, slightly dry finish

overall - flavorful hops that provide a nice grapefruit/orange flavor balance, west coast style ipa, highly enjoyable, unbelievable flavor for a single ipa

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another new one for the day, this was the big DIPA we were missing yesterday afternoon so we needed to find one to make a grand appearance and here we had it. Served cold and split into two pint glasses, this was consumed on 04/24/2011.

What a nice pour that came out of this one. A lighter than I would have expected amber color, was almost a golden pale with loads of carbonation and a huge billowing white head that sat on top with a large amount of foam that stuck to the sides and dripped down the glass.

A huge aroma then came wafting through the air. Lots of orange rind, grapefruit, and hints of lemon that layer on top of a light grain and bready base that offers a nice touch of balance but without distracting from the real gem here that was the since hop. Very light for as strong as it was, I really did not expect that at all. It was almost trying to deceive you with its full strength as the light hops and lingering dryness in the flavor left you thirsting for more, but at over 10% you were quickly reminded of its real strength.

Overall a very solid DIPA. It comes with a long line of simcoe forward big ipas that have come before it but this one really works. Besides you have to love the Canadian aspect to it, overall a hit and a nice way to roll into the mid afternoon.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Wow, excellent beer! Poured at a good temperature with a decent sized, foamy, cream-colored head that settled after a bit and some lace. Color is a clear amber with lots of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is hop, malt, caramel, wet grain. Flavor's where this really shines: similar to nose, but so much richer with just enough sweet to perfectly match the already balanced bitter and carbonic tang, plus pine resin, a little grapefruit, toast, toffee, wheat. Body and carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, of average length, and super drinkable. Wish I had loads more and that we could get it here in La Crosse, Wis.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Two 22oz bottles purchased for around $10 (very expensive!!) at a local Whole Foods. There is no best before date or bottled date, but I know this is fresh because I go to this particular Whole Foods about 2-3 times a week (and I picked this up as soon as I saw it on the shelf).

As far as I know, Metro Seattle is the only place in the US that gets beers from Driftwood - so I feel very lucky (this, one along with two others - Singularity & Old Cellar Dweller, is amazing!)

A: It looks good. Nice lacing. One finger head. Burnt orange color.

S: Grapefruit, Pine, Peach, Floral, Orange? maybe

T: Starts with hop bitterness and then followed by sweetness, then finishes with lingering bitterness. Grapefruit, Pine, a bit of peach. Even 2-3 minutes after my last sip, I can taste this beer in my mouth. Well balanced too I would add.

M: Low carbonation (smooth), Medium-to-full body.

O: I really liked this beer. I enjoyed this better than the Red Racer IPA (Which is another great IPA from Canada). Seek this one out! Driftwood is becoming one of my fav breweries with its offerings!

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Picked this up at NW liquid gold. Pours a nice clear orange color with frothy white head great lacing down the glass
S: Wow...this smells really good. Very citrusy, also some pineapple scent in there.
T: Tons of pine and citrusy flavors, just a bit of sweet malt up front but dominated by a bit hop bite
M: Medium bodied beer. Oily mouthfeel
O: This is one of the best IPA's i have had in a long time. Great stuff.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have reviewed this previously on tap from the Alibi Room in Vancouver. I got hold of an incredibly fresh bottle all the way out in Fernie, BC while I was up from Montana. I must say, this beer's delicate hop character translates incredibly well into bottled form. The hop profile is very untraditional, the citrus is there, but it plays second hand to the more forward melon and mango characters. Usually I can tell what hops went into a beer, this one I am absolutely stumped. For me, it checks almost everything on the list, I have not complaints. It is a one of a kind IPA, and it is the work of brewers that clearly know what they are doing. I hope to see more brewers coming up with unique IPAs like this one.

4.54/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Black Raven imperial pint glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a one finger fine off-white head with good retention and nice lacing. Whooee, a delicious aroma of herbal hops, pineapple and light fruit wafted from the glass as I poured this ale, one of the more complex aromatic IPAs I've run into. The flavor does not disappoint from the tempting pour. Caramel malt, intense piney and herbal hops tapering into a citrusy malt and hop finish leaving pleasant hop aftertaste. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. Very nicely done and could give many imperial IPAs a run for their money. Good job. I've really enjoyed everything from this brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favourite BC beer of all time. It was the first real IPA I ever had and nothing can prepare a person for what that introduction is like. The intensity and balance of the citrusy, hoppy grapefruit and melon was like meeting a beautiful woman...you'll never forget that first time. In fact, it was Fat Tug that led me down the road of loving craft beer and the desire to try everything else in a brown bottle with the hopes to re-live that experience over again. Thank you Driftwood and thank you Billy Miner Pub. I love you both...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fat Tug IPA from Driftwood Brewery