Fat Tug IPA - Driftwood Brewery

Fat Tug IPAFat Tug IPA

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Fat Tug is a northwest style India Pale Ale that is characterized by an intense hop profile of grapefruit & melon and restrained malt notes. At 7 % alc/vol and 80+ IBUs this beer delivers layers of aroma and flavor that is sure to satisfy anyone with a thirst for all things hoppy!

(Beer added by: ericj551 on 10-26-2010)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
maximum12

3.88/5  rDev -11%

Thanks to Rutager for sending this extra from one of my favorite locals in North America, Vancouver. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife while watching the end of The Truman Show, which happenend to be our first date. Well, second first date. Nevermind.

Pour is an unclear but not hazy orange with gentled carbonation. Nose is a fall cornucopia of fruits: honeydew, grapefruit, orange, pale malts. Going in the correct direction.

Fat Tug begs for a comment, so I'm not going to make one. Lovely hops on this babe, reaching out & giving the tongue a good shlap of bitterness, followed with fainter flavors of pine, citrus. The bitterness doing the tugging here. Nice pale malts, light sweetness. Drinkable. I could do this bomber.

Nice IPA that showcases bitterness, but without a whole lot of complexity. Luckily, that's my favorite part of an IPA. Very good beer.

03-27-2013 02:47:33 | More by maximum12

DaPan

02-14-2013 12:32:01 | More by DaPan
smekermann

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle of this at a BCLS earlier this wonderful evening. Unfortunately, Driftwood doesn't yet date their bottles, so I have no idea how fresh this is. Given that this IPA is somewhat hop-heavy, that is somewhat important and should probably be rectified sooner rather than later.

I'm fairly familiar with this beer. Actually, I guess I should rephrase that: I thought I was familiar with this beer. It had a nice hop profile and proved to be really easy drinking for being 7% ABV, although as time went on, I found it to be somewhat bottom-heavy. The initial mouthfeel was great, but the aftertaste was a bit too bitter and not as crisp as some of the IPAs I'd had from the golden land of Californy. In the interim, I even took a trip down to San Francisco in January and overloaded on some pretty amazing IPAs and DIPAs. I came back to BC thinking that BC IPAs would never compare to the stuff I'd had down there. For the most part, I was right. Central City IPA was a bit too malty and I had to double check the can to make sure I didn't pick up the ESB on accident, the hop profile being less impressive than I had remembered; Switchback IPA was better, with a nice hop profile, citrusy and piny and crisp, although it had a very familiar beta acid bitterness on the end of the aftertaste.

And then I finally found a bottle of Fat Tug IPA. I approached it with apprehension. Before my trip to CA, I viewed it as a great IPA -- one of the best brewed in BC, alongside Hop Therapy (different classes, obviously). I didn't want to ruin that impression. As it turns out, my fears were completely misplaced, because this is an even better beer than I remembered it to be. I'm not sure if it was just because I had a really fresh bottle (and with BCLS, it's really hard to tell, not to mention they don't refrigerate their beers) or they tweaked the recipe or what, but it surprised the hell out of me.

The appearance is a somewhat hazy golden amber with a pretty great off-white head and lacing on the glass. The initial smell is a gorgeous citrusy hop smell, with some bready malts way at the back. The taste is really crisp citrus hops. As you allow the taste to permeate, you begin to notice a fairly solid malt backing that adds a great balance to the beer (something that I'd never really noticed before). The aftertaste was surprisingly light and fairly crisp. Like I said, this was pretty astounding to me as I remember the aftertaste being a lot heavier and way more bitter but, again, I'm not sure if it's just due to the fact that I had a really fresh bottle or if Driftwood tweaked their recipe any. Driftwood plz add bottling dates to your IPAs ok thanks :(

Overall, I'm really glad I revisited this beer. It used to be really good for BC IPAs, now I can say with certainty that it's better than most of the IPAs I've had in the Pacific Northwest and maybe only a notch or so below the best (single) IPAs found in Southern California. This seems like a somewhat back-handed compliment but it really isn't. Trust me.

Edit: as of March 2013, Driftwood has started printing bottling dates on the cap of their beers. Truly the Best Brewery.

02-08-2013 09:19:45 | More by smekermann

mendvicdog

Maryland

11-10-2012 16:58:28 | More by mendvicdog
Photo of

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

11-08-2012 21:56:37 | More by
604growler

10-30-2012 02:25:26 | More by 604growler
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Wow, excellent beer! Poured at a good temperature with a decent sized, foamy, cream-colored head that settled after a bit and some lace. Color is a clear amber with lots of tiny bubble trails. Aroma is hop, malt, caramel, wet grain. Flavor's where this really shines: similar to nose, but so much richer with just enough sweet to perfectly match the already balanced bitter and carbonic tang, plus pine resin, a little grapefruit, toast, toffee, wheat. Body and carbonation are perfect. Finish is like flavor, of average length, and super drinkable. Wish I had loads more and that we could get it here in La Crosse, Wis.

10-27-2012 01:14:21 | More by drpimento

10-10-2012 00:37:34 | More by baklo
smakawhat

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A very pale amber body, somewhat cloudy, but with nice orange hues, and beautiful rising carbonation. Head is three fingers deep and large with a big giant cap and off white in color. Speckled lacing peppers the glass all over.

Great dry pine hop nose on this. A real nice aromatic sense of citrus orange zest hints at the back. Spritzy. Faint sweet malts too. Fantastic bouquet.

Palate manages to take a back seat and let the smells do the talking. Soft palate with a somewhat juicy body. Hop angle seems dialed down a bit, but a good simple light toasty sugar malt brings up much of the flavor profile. A real nice soft body, airy in feel, with little carbonation. Hop angle seems subdued with a quick bitter, and a light aftertaste and prickly sensations.

Overall the nose brings the impression of greatness, but it becomes just a good solid IPA in it's own right. Tasty!

10-08-2012 20:53:16 | More by smakawhat
superspak

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating but this should be pretty fresh. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 3 finger dense off white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Thick soapy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of big pineapple, mango, lemon zest, orange rind, herbal, floral, pine, grass, and earthy spiciness. Excellent aromas with great balance and hop complexity. Taste of big grapefruit, orange rind, pineapple, herbal, floral, pine, and earthy spiciness. Good amount of floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, pineapple, herbal, pine, floral, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Great balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a nice bitterness/sweetness balance as well. No cloying flavors on the finish at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with nearly zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic IPA! Excellent hop complexity and balance; very smooth and crisp to drink. Extremely enjoyable.

10-08-2012 03:52:12 | More by superspak