Singularity - Driftwood Brewery

Driftwood Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Russian Imperial Stout |  14.60% ABV

2011-11.8%(silver foil) , 2012-11.6%(black wax) ,
2013-11.8%(black wax) , 2014-14.6%(black wax)

Our 4th annual release of Driftwood Brewery’s Singularity has been conditioned for 3 months in authentic Kentucky bourbon barrels. This aging process adds warming notes of bourbon and oak that push this Russian Imperial Stout beyond the event horizon. The result is a beer of infinite density and depth of character.

(Beer added by: ericj551 on 01-18-2011)
3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

The pour is nearly black in color with a small khaki colored head. Plenty of roasted malt with a bit of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon. Tons and tons of barrel, which was a bit unexpected. The flavor offers a little less bourbon and vanilla notes with a bit more roasted malt flavor, along with some bitter chocolate. Light coffee and malt sweetness. The bourbon comes out a bit more as the beer warms up.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz bottle split three ways in wine glasses. Received as an extra from generous BA csano in a recent trade. Thanks!

Appearance: Careful pour yields a small tannish head. Pours black and leaves no lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt. Light pistachio aroma. Cola. Boozy and bourbony with time.

Taste: Cocoa and roasted malt. One-dimensional but nice. Not much barrel character at all. Hides its alcohol very well, but doesn't coax too much flavor out of it.

Smooth, tastes good, just not enough depth to jump from good to great.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Not particularly dry or sugary.

Overall: Good, but doesn't quite get there. Probably should have drank this 2~3 months ago when I received it, as some of the other reviews suggest to me that the balance and flavor were a lot better when it was fresher. Not too uncommon with barrel aged beers, I think.

Either way, enjoyable of you like roasty stouts (I do).

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Reddish dark brown to black body, with half finger head, you can actually lots of bubbles as well. Good amount of lacing.

S: Bourbon (but not overpowering), vanilla, dark cherries maybe? some dark fruits, sweet malt, nice!

T: Bourbon is not as strong in the taste as in the nose. Vanilla is also there but not as much. Not much chocolate or coffee either. Malt, little bit of hops, sweet caramel, some char. You can taste the alcohol, but not too overpowering. In a way, there is really no dominant ingredients in this beer. I wish it had more bourbon character to it though. I taste sweet caramel and malt the most.

EDIT: so, I cheated and read the reviews by others and I agree with one person who wrote that they tasted Orange. It was some sweet fruit I was tasting, but I couldn't make out what it was. This beer kind of tastes like those chocolate that comes in a shape of orange... I cannot remember the name of it, but it has that orange flavor mixed in with the chocolate. This particular flavor comes across more when the beer is served colder. As it gets warmer, the beer tastes more like sweet caramel. Very interesting I would say!

M: I think the body is a bit on the thin side for beer this big (but please note that I had Hunahpu last night... which happens to be one of the thickest beers I have ever had). Carbonation is also a bit higher than expected. Not much alcohol burn though.

O: Very solid beer. At $19.99 (USD) though, price is very steep. Definitely worth a try, but not my favorite BA Stout. If you want to try a bottle, please holler at me. I live in Seattle =)

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Looked brown and black, not the most impressive appearance, no lasting head/retention/lace. Aroma, strong on the bitter, tart and alcohol notes, but yet, not really given its strength.

Taste was good, the thin body made me think this had just outright liquor added to the barrel, rather than just getting its character from the barrel. Prime the pump. Heavy roast character, some bitter tart thing going on, interesting, different. Chocolate, licorice and vanilla. Really don't pick up oak or barrel as much as I do alcohol, but relative to its abv, its really not all that omniprescient.

One of the best beers I've had from Canada. Who brought this to the Solar Eclipse party? Was it Crystel and her man? Sure am glad I took a picture and notes, as relying on my own independent recollection on this one, is uh, questionable.

Another beer shared by dc55110, thanks Dan!

It says on the bottle that this is a beer of infinite density. The ABV is up there too so I was certainly intrigued. However, it was exactly opposite to the expectations... looked thin and clear dark brown, quite a few shades left of jet black. Drank like any other stout with a splash of liquor... I found it tough to discern any quality barrels in there. On top of that there was a tartness typical to some stouts that was offputting.

Good roasty character was pretty much the only redeeming side of this beer to me.

3, 3, 3, 3, 3

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.6/5  rDev +7%

I scribbled a detailed review for this on a napkin when I sampled it.

I noted it’s earthy and bourbon scented aroma, its low alcohol profile in the mouth feel even with its relatively high percentage. I appreciated its subtle complexities melding flavours of licorice with the typically roasted and malty elements of the genre and even thought it would be great paired with wild game like Elk or Caribou.

I then thanked my wife for picking me up a bottle while in BC and ended up crossing out what I had written and putting in its place the words "Extremely Enjoyable" . That pretty much sums it up for me.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

huge thanks to ArchEnemyBrew for this beer! Thanks Hollis!

poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: Light to medium black bodied beer with about a solid 1 and a half fingers of brown head. Spotty lace covers the glass.

Smell: This beer is really roasty and got a moderate amount of bourbon in the nose. Getting some smokiness in it too.

Taste: The beer starts of roasty and then it goes right into the barrel; something unique about this barrel flavor. You can get the oak and it almost seems like there is cedar in there too. I also get some chocolate and nuttiness from the malts. The beer finishes with a mild bitterness from the hops. A little bit grassy and I also taste cherrys in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. The carbonation really breaks the thickness of this beer up. The carbonation is sort of pricky and surprisingly epervescent for a bourbon barrel beer. It does make the beer smooth and the beer drinks like its 9 or 10%. It got a little alcohol kick that is mostly warming and subtle. This beer would have been a 5 in mouthfeel if it was thicker.

Overall: Really nice canadian beer. Its complex, balanced, and smooth. Really nice beer from a brewery I have never heard of.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Inky black pour, although just a hint of light penetrates, so there is the slightest ruby-red shading.

Nose is roasted graham cracker, a bit of chocolate, a bit more bourbon, vanilla, cedar, and allspice.Very different, but also appealing.

Body is fairly full, but could perhaps be a tad richer.

Taste is chocolate, bourbon, cedar, a surprising grapefruit/mandarin orange/tangerine/kiwi/plum middle with more chocolate, bourbon, allspice, and floral hops in the finish.

The alcohol is definitely very noticeable, and yet it is restrained for 14%, and certainly not overbearing.

I agree with the gentleman who said that this was the best Canadian beer he'd ever tasted.

Singularity from Driftwood Brewery