Lake Placid India Pale Ale - Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: hyland24 on 03-24-2008

4.85/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoy this relatively inexpensive IPA. Most of the time I only sit down and drink one IPA; this one generally entices me to have a second. An added plus is the great restaurant and brewery. If you get to Lake Placid it is a must.

4.8/5  rDev +29%

By far my favourite from the Lake Placid Brewing Company.
This exellent brew arrived a very deep copper with a very thick crown that stayed around for a good long time, finally leaving to a thick island lace and a large bubbled ring.
The taste of this brew is grapefruit start to finish and very refreshing.

The body was full and cloudy. The carbonation well above average and large bubbled.

A nice citrus nose.

A hopheads delight...Highly recomended!

4.67/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured a nice orange with a light tan head...great head retention and lacing...color could have been better, but still nice looking.
Aroma HOPPY and a hint of a sweet fruit...
Taste was excellent mixture of floral and earthy hops and some sweet fruit flavor (not much). VERY pleasing taste
Mouthfeel was slick and creamy...
Drinkability great...I'm going to pick up a growler fill tomorrow at the shore...

4.57/5  rDev +22.8%

Reminds me of my favorite IPA on draft at the Cannon Brewpub in Columbus, GA named Special OPS. Anyone who has served at Fort Benning in the US Army Rangers knows where I mean.

And here it is in a bottle, something they can't do in GA...not to mention Lake Placid Craft Brewery is 1200 miles away.

Hops, but not too much. Tastes like another...I'm going back to the fridge.

4.52/5  rDev +21.5%

Lake Placid IPA is a cloudy amber ale with some particles in it. It has a nice, dense, light beige head with great retention and it leaves thick crust on the glass. The aroma is very fresh! Citrus, pine and resin are up front, but there is a lurking sweetness in the nose. It is medium bodied and incredibly smooth and soft. The finish is clean and dry. So often, a beer this hoppy takes a ding on the mouth feel, but not this one. The flavor is very well balanced. It is a bold one-- reminds me of something from Stone. There is a resiny tone that centers the entire taste. There is a nice sweetness underneath and grapefruit peel is prominent. It is very difficult not to chug this beer.
(rated Sep 8, 2008)

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

I noticed chunks in the bottle sediment, so gave it a two-stage pour into pint glass, swirling last inch in bottle and dumping the hop flakes on top of a very dense light tan persistent head. Foam does not want to settle, big bubbles hang on for a really long time. Color dark amber, real turbid haze, lovely chunks of good stuff refusing to settle. Lace on glass as I drink looks like it'll need a scouring pad to clean off.
Smells very grapefruit citrus sweet.
Taste of sweet malt and sweet fruit mixes beautifully with darker caramel and bitter hops that hang on way back at the tongue/throat junction like a slippery gritty hop beast in its cave. Fine fat yeast beasts are mellow, round, like fresh-baked sourdough bread. Just about the most lovely hop aftertaste I've met in a bottled IPA. No ethanol perceptible, maybe no room for it in all the great hop yeast malt dimensions.
Mouthfeel very creamy, foam must come in bubbles a size smaller than the common foam bubble. Makes me want to mouth it till spit makes it warm, then after swallowing a persistent bittersweet drool clings to tongue bottom like those big bubbles in the glass still not going anywhere.
If this cost less than $10 per six-pack, I'd find it more drinkable. If it could possibly be made cheaper, or me richer, I wonder if my tongue would be able to cope with the joy of more than 2 bottles per day?

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

I live in the ADK's and have enjoyed many pints of this at the brewery. Go to the brewery in Lake Placid - when it's right, there is none better. Great rich creamy head, beautiful amber color, amazing, creamy mouth-feel, great body and hops. The bottled stuff is made in Utica, I think, and not nearly as good.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

I pickedup a 6-pack of this product last week at Oliver's while traveling through Albany - and I only wish I had picked up a case. When I opened the bottle, I thought from the first smell that this was going to be an enjoyable drink. I was correct in that assumption. It poured an orangy/copper color with decent head retention. The hops predominated, as I would expect, but there was also some malt in the taste. Not as potent or as hoppy as some IPA's but far from a weakling. If I could buy this locally, it would be a fixture in my beer refrigerator.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Lake Placid's Frostbite pours a hazy mahogany and deep chestnut body beneath a massive head of creamy dark-tan foam. The nose is loaded with citrusy (mostly grapefruit, some orange/lemon... perhaps some Simcoe and/or Amarillo?) and piney hops over a bready and caramelish malt base. It's medium-full in the mouth with a moderate carbonation that leaves it quite smooth and creamy. The flavor is as the nose suggests with a wider maltiness that's bready, caramelish, and honey-drizzled. The balance between hops and malt is quite nice, as is the general balance of the beer, with a very firm bitterness backing it. It finishes dry with a quick fading notes of honey and caramel accented malt, some residual bitterness, and lingering piney/citrusy hops. Very well done! Highly recommended!

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

SirSaranac made refrence to a name change, and it's true. But, this beer will always be Frostbite to me and the Mrs.
This is a perennial favorite to have in our kegerator. Although it is a bit high in alcohol for a session beer, it certainly is drinkable. The beer has a nice bitter finish; sharp, but not lingering too long to be distracting. It has a nice ruby-golden color, which initally makes me wonder why they changed the name to IPA. It seems to be atyipical for the style. This recent keg has a bit of fizzyness to the mouthfeel that I don't recall from previous batches, but that could be as much from the inital keg pressure as it is from the brew itself.
There is alot of similarity between Frostbite and Magic Hat's Roxy Rolles. The biggest difference would be the lack of Simcoe hops in Frostbite. But, the malt character is similar, and the hop bitterness about the same.
A highly reccommended beer. Great with a variety of eats! BBQ as much as Indian. Cooling in the summer, but strong enough to warm you in winter. (Despite its name!)

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

12ozer bought as part of a 6-pack from the brewpub, Lake Placid, NY.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" dense tan head over the clear dark copper brew. Head is lasting, with plentiful lacing. Aroma is malty sweet with citrus hops. Taste is syrupy upfront, quickly cut like a knife by lemon fresh hops, with a light pine coming on late. Mouthfeel is only slightly limited by heavy sweetness upfront, and that makes it just as drinkable. An enjoyable brew, dangerously quaffable for the abv.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

I make sure I stop here everytime I'm in Lake Placid. Last Xmas, found this on tap and what a great thing it was. Picked up a six pack at the brewery

Copper color with some orange overtures, poured with a nice white head that stayed around awhile. Aroma is hops/citruc and canabis. Not the sticky sense you get with Boulders Mojo on tap but very nice.Taste is a beautiful thing. I can be picky and suggest a liitle more malt but what the hey. This beer is so drinkable, one of favorites right about now.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Copper with steady rising carbonation and a dense and clumpy pock-marked beach-sand foam cap. Sweetish C-hop aromas, orange rind and grapefruit pith, primarily, with a candied crystal malt sweetness lurking behind. Nice, pleasant balance of bitter citrus hop flavors and a smooth toasted biscuit malt profile. The citric and pine-flavored bitterness lingers for a while in the aftertaste. Clean and smooth mouthfeel; medium-light body. This is a very drinkable IPA, primarily because it hits all the right hop notes without being run-of-the-mill, and it carries a wonderful balance with a confident malt support. A great, sessionable (if a bit high in alcohol) IPA. Recommended without hesitation.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

I'm really surprized this beer doesn't rate higher, as I am enjoying it tremendously. Pours out orangey amber, chill haze, with a great head of wheat colored foam that retains very well and leaves thick crusty lace everywhere.

Aroma shows caramel, toffee, and honey malt with a good measure of orange and lemon citrus, sweet pine, and light spicey floral hop notes. Smells yummy.

Nice chewy caramel and honey malts upfront, leading the way for a massive rush of tangerine and lemon peel, skunky herbal/florals, and pinecones drizzled with clover honey. Nice level of balance with an emphasis on the hops, right where it should be!

Medium to large mouthfeel, with chunky feeling carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel. Dangerously drinkable. Dangerous because it will be a long time before I get to try this one again.

Thanks to dmeadows for turning me on to this tastey ale. Way tastier than certain other Frostbites I'm familier with ;^)~

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a regular 12oz. brown bottle into a Duvel Tulip glass. It poured a very Dark Brown-Orange color and was hazy. poured a 2 finger head and seemed to have a heavy consistency. The head died down to a very flat head with good lacing on the glass.
Has a very nice complez smell to it. It tickles your nose with its citrisy aroma and then gives you a burst of carmel hops and grain. Very nice, not too sweet.
Taste is quite nice. Again takes most all charicteristics from above and throws them into your palate to make a very nice drinking beer. The taste goes in order of Carmely, malty and grainy. faint touches of citris. And a good bitter hop taste on your toung and palate, nice aftertaste of bitter hops and carmel. Again quite nice..
Mouthfeel is Medium-Heavy, and has good carbination. As above has a nice Carbination, bitterness on the tounge that is mostly nice. all around good brew i think..
Decently Drinkable.. You should try it...

4.29/5  rDev +15.3%

A - Poured into a stein from a bottle. First impression is very, very dark and opaque, especially for an AIPA. Poured with 3 fingers of white, rocky head. Slowly receding leaving substantial lacing. No visible carbonation or sediment.

S - Strong hop smell. Very citrusy and floral. Very enjoyable and inviting. Slight grainy smell. No alcohol to the smell either.

T - Strong hop taste. Not balanced. Standard taste for an AIPA. Not overwhelmingly bitter; good malt backbone. No alcohol or fruity taste. Slight roasted malt taste.

MF - Smooth mouthfeel. Medium to heavy body.

D - Great drinkability for an AIPA. Not overwhelmingly bitter, not too heavy, just a solid beer.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

First, a caution: of the six 12 ouncers I bought, only 3 of 5 (one is aging) deserve this rating.

Pouring was, suprisingly, a challenge. I thought I knew how to pour a beer (lord knows I practice constantly) but this brew was so energetic, I was on glass #3 before I drained the first bottle. To say the head was thick, just doesn't seem to cover it. Subsequent pours went better and yielded a dense off-white head that stood out over the rim of my favortie pilsner glass a full 5/8". Yeah, I measured. Flavor was of strong hops with hints of citrus and at the finish, there was a bit of a "bite" at the back of the throat, like ginger-ale. Indeed, there was a touch of caramel and ginger flavor that set this beer apart. Lacing was pronounced and the head long lasting. A very good, and somewhat unique beer. Pour it like nitro and enjoy.

I'm afraid two came out a little flat. Their heads were only average and strangely, the flavor was not as good, that "bite" at the back of the throat was missing, due in part, to the reduced carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

Lake Placid IPA pours a red amber with a nice offwhite head. The aroma is a nice blend of floral and herbal hops and a bit of tea like caramel malt. More floral and earthy hops pop up in the flavor with a nice crystal malt sweetness. The beer is full bodied with a nice lingering bitterness. Overall a really nice IPA and a good change of pace from the standard citrus bomb.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm noticing that many of the luke warm reviews of this beer are from a bottle. I had a pint on tap at the Lake Placid brewery a week ago and it was really good! It has a much more ambery appearance than most IPA's and that carries over into the taste as well. This one blurs the lines between an amber and an IPA and I think the hops are very well balanced. It has a wonderful flowery aroma and is very drinkable. I'll have to try it in a bottle, though my experience with this brewery is that much is lost in the bottling... (It's actually a totally different beer in the bottle, bottled in the Saranac brewery in Utica, not at the home brewry in Lake Placid).

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

On tap at Lake Placid Brewery. Reviewed from notes from 3/16/11.

A - Pours dark straw with a finger of fluffy white head.

S - Smells fruity, with a nice balance of malts. The hoppiness really comes out, I could smell the beer from the table. Smells like a very fresh IPA.

T - Much like smell, very fruity front, but well balanced finish with malts. Good version on a west coast IPA.

M - Creamy, fresh in my mouth with good balance and clean finish.

Overall, delicious, fresh, fairly low alcohol, well done beer.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this brew on tap at Mahar’s the other night and I must say that this is a pretty nice brew! Poured to a somewhat clear nice copper/orange color. Had a bubbly off white head that had good retention and broke down to lacing that clung to the sides of the glass nicely. The smell of this brew is very hoppy of both floral and citrus. The taste was very nice, with the right amount of bite for this type of beer. Can definitely notice the citrus (grapefruit) and floral hops. Reminds me a bit if Victory’s Hop Devil but not as much bite. Over all a very good offering from the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery!

Must edit (3/13/05) my review as I have had this brew a number of times over that past year. Actually have gotten a number of growlers of it and man I must say looking at my past review of this brew I was a little hard on it. It is not like Victory’s hop Devil, but should not be as it is a different class. It is a very smooth brew with a fantastic taste and great finish. I don’t usually edit my reviews except once I see a spelling mistake but for this brew I need to make a score adjustment. This has turned out to be a solid brew for me and one that I will go out and get once I know it is on tap for growler fills, etc!

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Lake Placid Never disappoints. As far as I'm concerned, they are the kings of the session brew. The Frostbite is no exception. Pours a orange amber colour with a light head that really doesn't lace all too much. The Aroma is that of grapefruit with a mild malty sweetness. The taste is very similar. Hoppy, yet well balanced. The citrusy flavour makes it great for a hot day. Super easy to drink.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

Pours a carmel colored ale with no head and little retention. The scents of roasted malt and hops is present. Floral hops and fruit engulf my tastebudz.Extremely refreshing but also potent at 6.8% my cheeks are feeling rosey just after one! One of the best I've had and will be my standby IPA good to know this came from New York!

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Body is a hazy shade of winter, er, excuse me, I mean orange. Loads of carbonation buzzing about. Thick slab of off-white rippled foam. Lacing reminds me of icicles hanging from the eaves.

Clean, fresh citrus nose, plenty of grapefruits and oranges. A blast of summer in the midst of winter.

A big malty start, clean not syrupy, lays down a proper foundation. Citrusy hops roll in to scrub the mouth before a sweet crash finish and a piney afterburn. Excellent balance while showcasing the contrasting sweet/bitter elements.

Smooth medium mouthfeel. Very good drinkability.

A real nice fine this winter. I love Christmas IPAs.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

appearance: The head is low and white, about .20". A nice head is easily roused by swirling the glass. The beer is a hazy, medium copper color. Moderate lacing is left behind as the snifter is drained. I would have given a 5 for appearance, if the haze was not present.

smell: Oh yeah, smells awesome. I really enjoy an IPA that is malty and hoppy all at once. The big, sweet malts are just about perfectly balanced with the hops. Piney, green, resinous hops fill the nose. Aromas of tropical fruits, and a blend of light and dark fruits, are present.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a low medium and the body medium. I really like this mouthfeel on an IPA, smooth.

taste: Much of the same from the nose. Perfectly balanced malt and hop characteristics. Sweet, but with the right amount of bitterness to back it up...a nice hop flavor too. The finish is of a lingering caramel sweetness and hop bitterness.

drinkability: Tasty and pretty easy drinking, but a few would be enough. This is my kind of IPA.

Received this beer as a bonus in a trade with JahNoth.

Lake Placid India Pale Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company