UBU Ale - Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

English Strong Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: sponberg on 10-20-2002

Our famous English-style Strong Ale, deep garnet red in color, with a smooth, hardy taste and a nice warm feeling to follow.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UBU Ale Alström Bros

One of my favorites, rich malty taste with a bit of hops in the back ground. Nutty,toffee caramel taste and a rich creamy feel on the tongue. Lake Placid is one of my favs and this beer a go to when i feel like drinking a six and catching a nice buzz...

This beer is the beer that got me into dark beers, and to this day is my favorite. I brew my own, have been to...way too many micro breweries, and this one is still the staple. Even though I find myself to be an IPA man for the most part, I love this beer the most...damn all you who disagree.

This beer rocks. I am not an official beer tester, so I won't try to impress you with terms I don't normally use. This beer is thick and tasty and that is what I'm always on the hunt for.I LOVE this beer !!!! If you l want to experience what I believe beer tasted like back in the Colonial days and before mass produced watery beer became the norm, then this is an excellent selection. Highly recommended by me. Enjoy!

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%

I think this is a great beer, and I was lucky enough to have it on tap at the Lake Placid Brewery itself. It's great in a bottle, too, but unfortunately not distributed very widely.

It's a nice dark brown/amber with a slight tinge of snow-white head. The smell is a bit woody, and the taste has a hint of chocolate and hazlenut. It may be a bit on the thin side, but that contributes to its drinkability - despite a relatively high ABV, it's easy to drink a few.

4.53/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful dark mahogany brown, with a billowy tan head that sticks around for a while. Sweet, malty nose with chocolate, toffee, and leather notes.

Malty and a bit sweet at first, sliding into a hoppy bitterness that nicely counterpoints the maltiness. I did not expect that much hops and it really makes this a very interesting beer, quite refreshing for something so dark. I anly discovered the ABV of 7 here; I would not have guessed--there was no hint of a higher alcohol content on the palate.

Lingering bitter finish made me want another immediately. I suspect it would be easy to drink too many of these. An unexpectedly delightful find!

4.51/5  rDev +21.9%

As is the case with many great beer drinking experiences, this one came with a story. I read all sorts of wonderful things about Lake Placid Brewing while on my very recent vacation in Montreal visiting friends. I decided to stop at the new Plattsburgh, NY facility to pick up a growler or 2 as provisions for camping out that night in the Adirondacks. Obviously, as any experienced camper knows, you want the largest container for your beer as possible (less waste). Unfortunately, they had no more growlers stocked at the brewery. All they had was 6'ers. So I was forced to drink the UBU strait from the 12 ounce bottle. Still, I was not disappointed. The drinkability was outstanding with idea balance between malt and prominent, yet very yummy hops. I think the reason that this beer does not have a higher BA rating is because, stylistically, it does not fit in to the typical categories. What is an American Strong Ale any way? If you are in the area, all you hophead campers out there MUST pick this up. This beer should be considered the official elixir of the Adirondack experience. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This has a presence that almost demands it be known. A rich dark colour and a thick tan head, one would think it's a porter at first glance. It had a malty smell and taste I senced a bit of pininess and graininess to it. It has a very well balanced taste that is among the best in the world. This is a beer that goes down smooth. Love this beer. It will treat you very well in return.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Brings me home literally. Sit around a open pit fire on a cold night and enjoy the a smooth chocolate ale - not quite a chocolate stout - taste the hops, but not overpowering. Not sure it matches an English style ale but a taste of its own. Will present on special occasions to family and friends.

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

Deep garnet red/brown with a white head that hangs around for a while.

Aroma of dark malt and whiffs of fruit and hop. Hugely flavorful - slightly sweet dark malt flavors are balanced with a restrained, English (Goldings? Fuggles?) hop character. Hints of dark fruit, bitter chocolate, toffee - all there, but the whole seems like more than the sum of its parts. Almost insanely drinkable - a 20 oz. pint of this disappeared surprisingly fast. If you find yourself in the vicinity of the Adirondacks, get yourself a growler of this puppy.

And the best part - come November, it'll be coming out in bottles. Sweet!

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

Dark Brown w/ chestnut highlights. One finger, light beige head that dissipated, clung and laced. Smells of sweet malty caramel and chocolate. Taste is same caramel and chocolate. It is semi-sweet throughout and hops only bitter. Mouthfeel is creamy and linger is just about right. This is an absolutely fantastic brew that must be tried. Only wish they sold it locally.

4.41/5  rDev +19.2%

Ubu has a good-sized, frothy, bubbly head. One of the many delightful aspects of this beer is the way that head dimples downward so that it forms little hummocks. The sunken bits quickly become lighter in color than the rest of the head so that it becomes beautifully variegated. It actually reminds me of the thick, frothy head of yeast on the surface of the wort at Brewery Ommegang.

The beer itself has roughly the appearance of flat Pepsi with a touch of coffee mixed in. Slightly translucent, it lets through a hint of reddishness when held up to the light. It smells strongly of malt and coffee, with some hops peeking through.

Initial reaction: MMMMmmm!!! Balanced!! It's malty and creamy, with a slight coffee taste. These three flavors recline as they coast along on a smoothly-polished track of hops.* YUM! Man, is this drinkable.

As I drain the pint and watch craggy outcroppings of lacing form on the glass, the words "elegant" and "stately" come to mind. I talk a lot about complexity and the lack thereof, but this beer illustrates perfectly that I don't need tremendous complexity. Ubu only does a few things, and it's not all that dynamic. But what it does, it does so well that it doesn't matter.

Malty tingle. Slight coffee. Slight hoppy tang. Fade. That's all folks! That's it, and there ain't no more. And it's all I need.

* I am a professionally untrained non-writer. Attempting bad metaphors such as this may result in personal and/or reputational injury.

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark red, close to brown in appearance. Lot's of carbonation noticable when held to the light. Minimal head but leaves a nice stream of lacing.

S - Caramel from the malts and some hop aroma there as well. Really inviting. Good balance.

T - Good amount of malt and hop balance. Sweet malts up front and a nice hop aftertaste with lingering bitterness. That caramel comes through nicely.

M - Good carbonation with medium to full body.

D - Really high considering the abv. Alcohol hides well behind the mix of flavours. A good find.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clear, deep chestnut body is topped by a frothy light tan head that holds with tenacity. It eventually drops to a creamy collar and thin surface covering but leaves some very nice Brussel's lace that actually looks like lace! Its malty nose displays a note of chocolate and some mild grassy and floral hops. The body is medium and it's quite creamy across the palate with a very fine, moderate carbonation. The flavor is much richer than the nose suggests with a tight combination of caramelish malt that fades away to reveal a light chocolate note after the swallow; a mild underlying fruitiness that suggests apples, dark berries and raisins; a well-infused hop flavor that's floral and gently grassy; and a firm, supportive bitterness that allows the gently sweet malt character to shine but not overwhelm. It finishes dry with some lingering hop flavor and bitterness. Exceptionally well-balanced with the malt, hops and fruitiness playing off of each other! A highly drinkable ale that offers enough complexity to keep it interesting through several pints!

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Did not go and seek this one out, but rather, this one found me. While at a family reunion in Tupper Lake, NY (About an hour west of Lake Placid). My Aunt did the beer shopping, and thought, that "O, my nephew likes dark beer, I'll get him this" Little did she know that I very much would.

Poured a dark amber color.

Smelled of strong malt, and spiced hops.

The taste is real strong malt up front. Sweet with spiced hops coming afterwards. A real smooth brew, that went down surprisingly easy. 7.00% ABV is masked very well. in fact, I didn't even think it was strong ale. My guess was American Amber or Red. Maybe I'm just spoiled on Stone?

Very drinkable, and tasty to boot. Enjoying it in the beauty of the Adirondacks only added to the experience.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

This brew pours a hazy copper color with a monster rocky mountain head that last for a while, leaving a nice sexy lace in its path. The smell of woods and hops and caramel malts fill the nose. A light smoked flavor fill the palatte, along with the same caramel flavor. Hops are moderate to light in flavor which is nice for the style. This is a kick ass beer and I am glad my sister goes to school near there. The finish is smooth with a yeast dryness.

4.33/5  rDev +17%

I picked this up based on a friend's window sticker. I know that is a great measure to purchase beer by.

After picking up a 6-pack, I asked my friend about it. He asked where I got it.

On the pour, I had a decent amount of aroma. I picked up malts, hoppiness, and some nuttiness.

The taste came through like a stronger brown. The nuttiness was stronger, and hops balanced out well. This was easy to drink, and so I had another.

I paired this with open pit barbeque, and it matched very well.

I match my friends sentiments. This is a very good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass. There appears to be no freshness date on the bottle.

Appearance: Its body has a dark brown color with deep crimson highlights. The head on top was about one and half fingers thick, light tan in color and made very nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet caramel and brown sugary notes pop out in the nose along with some toasted malt and mild earthy/leafy hops.

Taste/Mouth: It has a base of roasted and toasted bready malt flavors. There is plenty of sweetness up front with notes of brown sugar, sweet/buttery bread, diacetyl and dark caramel. The 7%abv adds only a slight touch of character and is mostly well hidden. The middle sees the addition of dried leafy and earth hop flavor along with some bitterness for balance. The finish has a nice blend of sweet malt, a hint of bitter dark chocolate and hops. It has a smooth, slightly slick texture with soft yet active carbonation in a solid medium to full body.

Notes: I would like to thank my good friend Don for telling me about the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery and for recommending the Ubu Ale. I really enjoyed very interesting and complex ale.

4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

A very drinkable beer that masks the 7%, had on tap at BEFFs.
Poured a dark brown, smelled a bit sweet with hops, tasted a little sweet as well, with a touch of hops but not too much of any flavor. Ive had it in a bottle before and thought it was very good but it is better on tap

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Another brew traded to me by Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

This pours a clear reddish brown with a 2 finger head of foam.

The smell is nice and malty with a good dark fruit presence. Maybe a touch of chocolate.

The taste is of dark fruits, roasted malt and light caramel malt sweetness, and a nice taste of hops which give it a nice citrus kick bitterness that dominates after about mid palate. There's some warming after the swallow so it drinks "stronger" than the abv would say. I'm really digging the dark fruit flavours and the roasty flavours as well further into the session. Very tasty.

This is close to being full bodied and the carbonation is just under medium.

Drinkability? No probs drinking this bottle as the flavours keep pouring it on with every sip making it a real joy to drink. My first sample from Lake Placid and colour me impressed! Oh and great head retention and super good lacing!

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

This one of Lake Placids Better Beers if not the best. It was one that I could truly sit back and enjoy. It is a good sippin' beer.

It is kind of thick but not to thick. With a bit of after taste it definitely lets you know that it is there but its slight fruity flavor is very pleasant and so is the aroma.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at a local Italian restaurant. Paired with a damn good pizza. Very good combo that I highly recommend. Had always been hesitant to try this, as I viewed it as a hipster beer for a while. People around Lake Placid and surrounding used to always talk about Lake Placid Brewery, then it kinda faded. Hence the hipster opinion. Glad I finally tried it.

A - Dark and intimidating. Would make AAL lovers quiver with fear at the sight. Almost black, with a medium brown at the bottom. Average head that stuck around. Head was a tannish color.

S - Very pleasant. Lot's of malt and roasted characters. A choclately smell to a lesser extent, and perhaps a hint of smoke.

T - Damn good. All the smells were noticeable in the taste. The roast taste was much more prevelant here, in a very pleasant way. Could also notice some bitter chocolate/cocoa. A unique bitter sweet flavor created. As mentioned earlier, paired with a damn good pizza. Was a damn good combo. Tasted a lot like a bock, which I was fine with. Slight less "oomph" than a bock.

F - The only part I wasn't crazy about. This paired very well with food, but I'd see it as a beer you wouldn't want to drink a lot of on it's own. A little thicker than I prefer, and I could imagine it raising some heck in your stomach.

O - Very impressed, probably in my Top 15 beers now. Lot's of great taste without being too sweet or bitter. Goes great with food. Highly recommend.

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great, weighty brown ale, but not nutty and mild like most browns. Rather, this is a big, brazen, malty beer with flavors of maple, caramel and beef jerky. Enough hops to give it a tasty bitterness as well as a minty herbal quality. Effortlessly drinkable considering the proof. The beer is dark amber with a good-sized, lasting head. Aroma is deceptively sweet. Mouthfeel is lustrous, unfiltered, and great. Overall a great beer, certainly as good as any other beer available, it's wonderful to see this in bottles.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

This doesn't taste anything like an American Strong ale to me...and that is not meant to be derogatory. It's just a very surprising brew for the style. More like a strong, nut brown ale.

Pours a very dark tea amber that is almost totally opaque with a very small off-white head that melts quickly to a very faint ring.

Aromas of sweet amber malts and nuttiness with a hint of alcohol.

Taste is a lot like a nut brown ale only more intense. Sweet dark toasted amber malts with definite nuts followed by a bit of citrus hop bite and then the alcohol finish.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick with only a bit of carbonation.

I'm afraid the 7% on this can come at you quickly without you having any idea that it was sitting in your lap the whole time.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours dark brown/black with a touch of foam at the top but very little. Chocolately smell. Malty. Light coffee taste, mild hop throughout. Subtley carbonated. Residual cola taste. Very drinkable, solid beer.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

I had out of a bottle. It's a rust brown, opaque with sediment and good foamy tan head and lacing. Has a burnt hop scent.

It's very smokey, with a burnt taste. Black porter style. Carbonated and crisp. Taste more like a stout or porter than what I think of when the term Ale is used, but outstanding no matter what the title.

UBU Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company