UBU Ale - Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

good

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

English Strong Ale |  7.00% ABV

Our famous English-style Strong Ale, deep garnet red in color, with a smooth, hardy taste and a nice warm feeling to follow.

(Beer added by: sponberg on 10-20-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UBU Ale Alström Bros

One of my favorites, rich malty taste with a bit of hops in the back ground. Nutty,toffee caramel taste and a rich creamy feel on the tongue. Lake Placid is one of my favs and this beer a go to when i feel like drinking a six and catching a nice buzz...

This beer is the beer that got me into dark beers, and to this day is my favorite. I brew my own, have been to...way too many micro breweries, and this one is still the staple. Even though I find myself to be an IPA man for the most part, I love this beer the most...damn all you who disagree.

This beer rocks. I am not an official beer tester, so I won't try to impress you with terms I don't normally use. This beer is thick and tasty and that is what I'm always on the hunt for.I LOVE this beer !!!! If you l want to experience what I believe beer tasted like back in the Colonial days and before mass produced watery beer became the norm, then this is an excellent selection. Highly recommended by me. Enjoy!

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

Great finish

4.65/5  rDev +26.4%

I think this is a great beer, and I was lucky enough to have it on tap at the Lake Placid Brewery itself. It's great in a bottle, too, but unfortunately not distributed very widely.

It's a nice dark brown/amber with a slight tinge of snow-white head. The smell is a bit woody, and the taste has a hint of chocolate and hazlenut. It may be a bit on the thin side, but that contributes to its drinkability - despite a relatively high ABV, it's easy to drink a few.

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful dark mahogany brown, with a billowy tan head that sticks around for a while. Sweet, malty nose with chocolate, toffee, and leather notes.

Malty and a bit sweet at first, sliding into a hoppy bitterness that nicely counterpoints the maltiness. I did not expect that much hops and it really makes this a very interesting beer, quite refreshing for something so dark. I anly discovered the ABV of 7 here; I would not have guessed--there was no hint of a higher alcohol content on the palate.

Lingering bitter finish made me want another immediately. I suspect it would be easy to drink too many of these. An unexpectedly delightful find!

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

As is the case with many great beer drinking experiences, this one came with a story. I read all sorts of wonderful things about Lake Placid Brewing while on my very recent vacation in Montreal visiting friends. I decided to stop at the new Plattsburgh, NY facility to pick up a growler or 2 as provisions for camping out that night in the Adirondacks. Obviously, as any experienced camper knows, you want the largest container for your beer as possible (less waste). Unfortunately, they had no more growlers stocked at the brewery. All they had was 6'ers. So I was forced to drink the UBU strait from the 12 ounce bottle. Still, I was not disappointed. The drinkability was outstanding with idea balance between malt and prominent, yet very yummy hops. I think the reason that this beer does not have a higher BA rating is because, stylistically, it does not fit in to the typical categories. What is an American Strong Ale any way? If you are in the area, all you hophead campers out there MUST pick this up. This beer should be considered the official elixir of the Adirondack experience. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

This has a presence that almost demands it be known. A rich dark colour and a thick tan head, one would think it's a porter at first glance. It had a malty smell and taste I senced a bit of pininess and graininess to it. It has a very well balanced taste that is among the best in the world. This is a beer that goes down smooth. Love this beer. It will treat you very well in return.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Brings me home literally. Sit around a open pit fire on a cold night and enjoy the a smooth chocolate ale - not quite a chocolate stout - taste the hops, but not overpowering. Not sure it matches an English style ale but a taste of its own. Will present on special occasions to family and friends.

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

Deep garnet red/brown with a white head that hangs around for a while.

Aroma of dark malt and whiffs of fruit and hop. Hugely flavorful - slightly sweet dark malt flavors are balanced with a restrained, English (Goldings? Fuggles?) hop character. Hints of dark fruit, bitter chocolate, toffee - all there, but the whole seems like more than the sum of its parts. Almost insanely drinkable - a 20 oz. pint of this disappeared surprisingly fast. If you find yourself in the vicinity of the Adirondacks, get yourself a growler of this puppy.

And the best part - come November, it'll be coming out in bottles. Sweet!

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Ubu has a good-sized, frothy, bubbly head. One of the many delightful aspects of this beer is the way that head dimples downward so that it forms little hummocks. The sunken bits quickly become lighter in color than the rest of the head so that it becomes beautifully variegated. It actually reminds me of the thick, frothy head of yeast on the surface of the wort at Brewery Ommegang.

The beer itself has roughly the appearance of flat Pepsi with a touch of coffee mixed in. Slightly translucent, it lets through a hint of reddishness when held up to the light. It smells strongly of malt and coffee, with some hops peeking through.

Initial reaction: MMMMmmm!!! Balanced!! It's malty and creamy, with a slight coffee taste. These three flavors recline as they coast along on a smoothly-polished track of hops.* YUM! Man, is this drinkable.

As I drain the pint and watch craggy outcroppings of lacing form on the glass, the words "elegant" and "stately" come to mind. I talk a lot about complexity and the lack thereof, but this beer illustrates perfectly that I don't need tremendous complexity. Ubu only does a few things, and it's not all that dynamic. But what it does, it does so well that it doesn't matter.

Malty tingle. Slight coffee. Slight hoppy tang. Fade. That's all folks! That's it, and there ain't no more. And it's all I need.

* I am a professionally untrained non-writer. Attempting bad metaphors such as this may result in personal and/or reputational injury.

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Dark Brown w/ chestnut highlights. One finger, light beige head that dissipated, clung and laced. Smells of sweet malty caramel and chocolate. Taste is same caramel and chocolate. It is semi-sweet throughout and hops only bitter. Mouthfeel is creamy and linger is just about right. This is an absolutely fantastic brew that must be tried. Only wish they sold it locally.

UBU Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company