UBU Ale - Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company

Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

English Strong Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: sponberg on 10-20-2002

Our famous English-style Strong Ale, deep garnet red in color, with a smooth, hardy taste and a nice warm feeling to follow.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of UBU Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

I personally am a big fan of this beer.
This is my go too beer when I want something with good quality taste as well as a good price.

This particular batch was bought at the local grociery store in a six pack. I have also had this on tap, personally I didn't notice a big difference.

It pours a nice dark "garnet" as they describe it. The head is decent, the carbonation lasted through the time.
The smell is very malt heavy, but not overpowering.

Nothing is really overpowering about this beer which makes it easy to drink. And I often find myself drinking it faster than I'd like to.
Lake Placid does a really nice job with this beer, like I said, great for its price range, and just the right amount of malt and flavor.

One of my favorites, rich malty taste with a bit of hops in the back ground. Nutty,toffee caramel taste and a rich creamy feel on the tongue. Lake Placid is one of my favs and this beer a go to when i feel like drinking a six and catching a nice buzz...

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

I had this one tap at the Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester. They always have some new beers to try.

The beer was served in an Imperial Pint style glass and it dark brown with a dark tan head

It had a nose of dark fruit, brown sugar and toasted malts.

The taste is of gently roasted malts, raisins, a bit of brown sugar and something a bit sour. There is a slight hop bite to finish.

The mouth has low carbonation and mid-level heft.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to mchalups for bring me this bottle.

Pours a hazy brown amber color with a good inch of head and nice lacing.

Smells of pine and herbal hops and a burnt caramel and raisin.

Taste is straight forward blast of malts and hops. Really no progression until the end where it finishes pretty dry.

Mouthfeel is full and nicely carbonated.

Overall, it's good. Nothing to write home about, but definitely worth a try.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

947th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
12 oz

Thanks to @mjtiernan for this one

App- Brown, Amber, Crimson. A quite a different color in this glass. A nice 1 finger head with a lot of good lace. Not the prettiest beer but a good amount of color and cling.

Smell- This had some weird aromatics to it. A bit malty, coffee, toaty and rauchbier. A bit smoky as well. A bit of a catch all aromatic but still better than most.

Taste- Very English malt driven. A little bit of a peppery malt and a little bit of a damp sweetness. A touch of a wheat flavor or grain if you will. The first flavors come with the malt and then a bit of that peppery dampness. A unique flavor catch all but nice. Well hidden 7%. A bit more unique as some of the ASA I have had.

Mouth- A light/medium watery body with a bit of a medium carbonation. A bit of a malty peppery and thin.

Drink- Not a huge beer by any means. Has a good profile but has a more English layering effect. A bit thin in parts but still tasty. Don't know if I would have this again with Stone Arrogant in my back yard.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A dark chestnut-colored beer with a quickly falling head. Nice sheets of lace but they're not very clingy..so-so appearance.

Aromas dominated by roasted malt with dark fruit and booziness behind it. The taste is very malt forward, with a little hoppy bitterness and some booze in the finish. Hints of dark fruits as well.

Lively carbonation, with a long and boozy finish that lingers. Almost a little too fizzy. Ubu reminds me of a run-of-the-mill BSDA a bit.

Had this on tap at the brewery and liked it more; the mouthfeel was smoother and a bit creamier and the booze was tamed a bit. I understand the bottles are contract brewed and are not done nearly as well as the brewery does it in smaller batches. Eh, probably wouldn't order or buy this one again. Not particularly outstanding.

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle into Anderson Valley snifter. Thanks for the extra, biga7346.

A: Pours a very dark woody brown with a huge, soft and fluffy, light tan head that took forever to fade into a thick film. Great rings of lacing were left down the side of the glass.
S: Sweet notes of berries, raisins, vinous grapes/red wine, wood and earth.
T: Strong flavors of peat, earth, wood, bitter tea leaves and apple juice as well as a hint of lightly sweet caramel malt, and dark fruits in the finish. The aftertaste is leathery and sweet.
M: Abundant carbonation creates a fizzy mouthfeel, but after I swirled this beer for a while and burned some of the excess carb off it was a lot better. The body is still a bit thin for the flavor though, and the mouthfeel wasn’t very enjoyable.
O: The flavor of this beer wasn’t the best, and the mouthfeel could use some work, but overall this wasn’t as terrible as some people make it sound. I would certainly drink this over a large variety of other similar tasting beers out there. Thanks again for giving me the chance to try it, Austen.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Had this at the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery in the Adirondacks and it was excellent. $3.50/pint. Poured a dark mahogany with an inch off-white foamy head leaving a consistent amount of lacing along the glass. Smell was sweet and malty. Taste was also sweet, slightly bitter, with a good amount of carbonation. for the 7.00% abv, this was an exceptionally easy beer to drink. thumbs up.

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

Im visiting my brother up here in Lake Placid, so of course I need to try some local beer.

The color of the beer is nothing to brag about, however we are up un the Adirondacks...so the fact that its dark brown (almost mahogany) does seem Mountain-like! I thought that type of look seemed fitting. Its smell reminds me of any typical dark ale I have had in the past.

It has a dark, yet smooth taste and feel to it. It goes down real easy. It leaves you with a pleasant after-taste that left my mouth watering. It was definitely the local kind of taste I had been anticipating. I will definitely order it again when I see my brother.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Deep brown, almost mahogany and sort of red. Smallish, light tan head. Some pretty fair lace.

S: Malty, sweet, & estery. Not much distint character to the malts. Hint of non-distinct hops. Faint hint of alcohol. Fairly shy nose.

T: More malt character here – toffee, bread crust, burnt sugars, some darker roast, and some super faint chocolate. Blackstrap molasses with a hint of bitter to the sweetness. Balancing hops in the background. Unfortunately it is very noticeably oxidized. Was not as cardboardy at the pub – it was fuller, sweeter, & richer.

M: Just over medium body with CO2 closer to an English type level. Some dextrins to chew, but not much sugary tack. Finish is dry from dark roast malts and background hops.

D: Second sixer of oxidized beer from this brewery. Oxidized in the bottle, but not at the brewery - Grrr….. As is, it still has some really good bits – but oxidation is too distracting.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

A-pours a dark brown with a light tan head about a fingerwidths, with average retention
S-sweet malt with some roasted characteristics and slightly floral hop aroma
T-sweet malt and molasses with medium hop bitterness
M-medium to medium full body with medium carbonation
O- not a bad beer but doesn't have the complexity it should for the style.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A fairly clear, reddish-brown beer with a rocky, long-lasting, off-white head. Subtle hops aroma with malt and chocolate. Smooth, rich, roasted taste. Nicely balanced, not tilted toward malt or hops. Great mouthfeel.

Overall, very enjoyable. The big range of scores here seems to indicate it isn't consistent, though. Too bad.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Look: Dark brown with light brown rings around the bottom and top. 1/2 inch mocha colored head with ok retentino

Smell: The scent is a tad bit muted with notes of milk chocolate coffee and some floral hops. It is however a decent aroma for being muted

Taste: Starts of with a lot of chocolate malt and finishes with a nice roastyness and some coffee notes. The flavors are there but not overpowering and could be better

Mouthfeel: Is a bit thinner than medium and low carbonation and just a bit sticky

Overall: A decent little brew definitely worth a try

2.29/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a very nice dark brown, rich, creamy brown head...long-lasting with delicate lacing. Very beautiful in the glass. Aroma is sweet, caramel with hints of dark chocolate. Then things begin to go poorly...the beer's taste is malty yet overwhelmingly dominated by roasty and strange molasses flavors that don't mesh well. Overcarbonated, with a sharp, stinging carbonation.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours brownish with ruby hig lights. It has a tall dense head leaving fine sticky lacing.
Well carbonated too.

Aroma is strong of rich malts and some molasses.
There is also a toffee sweetness too.

Taste is of complex malts with good character.
Some roasted malts come through as well as wood and leather and a finish similar to licorise.

This beer has a medium feel with a bitter and slight alcohol warming.

I was pleasently surprized with this beer. I was expecting something like an amber ale, but this style took me back a bit.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1 inch head. Smell is dominated by malts, a touch of yeast. Taste is malts up front, some hops, just a touch of alcohol. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

I had one of these left in my fridge so idecided I needed to review it. Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-nice dark chestnut brown with just a hint of red about a 2 finger head that leaves pretty good lacing as it fades away

S-Not too much here other than some roasted maltiness

T-good malt flavors with some nutty backing that covers the 7.0% alcohol very well finish with a hint of smoke

M-good carbonation

O-pretty good if they had this beer around here it would probably be a regular in my fridge but since they don't I must continue my search and keep trying other beers. :)

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

This is a fairly dark ale, perhaps best described as reddish-brown. The flavor is malty, though this hop-lover found the nutty taste quite palatable -- and somewhat sweet. I would not say it tastes of chocolate, but it perhaps hints of it. The hops do arrive by the end and I very much appreciated that balance. It is an interesting American version of an English Strong Ale and worth a taste. The alcohol content is robust (7.0%), so the beer has a kick.

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle into pint glass
A – Light brown 1 finger head left lacing all around, dark brown brew I believe is a bit hazy but it is dark enough I’m not sure 4
S – Ripe fruits, malt & yeast - all very mild scents 3
T – Musty, earthy, slightly smoky & nutty with lots of roasted malts and semisweet chocolate notes. Even with all that malt, the hop presence is surprisingly robust also. A lot here and in good balance, but unsure this is to my personal liking. 3.5
M – Medium to heavy body is a thicker drinking brew with low carbonation. 3.5
O – Alcohol very well hidden. Personally, I’d call this a Porter with a high ABV. A good beer, which I enjoyed more on the second sitting 4.0

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

Obtained in a "mystery box" trade with chairmissing. Thanks for the goodie, Brandon!

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a gingerbread brown with a thick and frothy ecru-colored head that demonstrated respectable retention. Any signs of lacing was MIA.

Smell: Oooh, if this thing tastes as good as it smells, then i'm in for a real treat. Sweet caramel malt, bready (specifically gingerbread), and rum-soaked dark fruits. The scent reminds me of a Belgian quad. I wonder why it's rAvg is under 4.0?

Taste: Oh, that's why. Very, very watered-down. My taste buds are really searching for that flavor detected in the aroma, but they're being left out to dry here. Maybe, just maybe, some subtle hints of the malt and fruits if I really try to focus on it...and that's a stretch.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and slightly overcarbinated. Expecting something thicker, chewy, and sticky. Damn.

Overall: This type of strong ale reminds me of a smooth summer time drink that one turns to when they're feeling extremely dehydrated. I'm sorry, but I like my strong ales to be, well, strong (not in the ABV category, but according to my smell and taste receptors).

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Had again at a recent Saranac/Lake Placid sampling and I decided to finally review it.

A-Brown with a tan head (to the point where I thought this was a brown ale)

S-A little bit of roasted malts but not much else.

T-A strong roasted malt and coffee flavors, nuts in there as well. Very similar in taste to a good brown ale IMO.

M-Medium bodied, creamy with slight carbonation.

O-I haven't had anything else from Lake Placid but this beer is decent and was worthy the retry.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%

A- This one pours a rich brown with a tan head that sticks the whole time, and leaves a lot of lace notches down my glass.

S- Really not picking up much here besides grain and maybe some malt, my buddy confirms this so I'm not crazy here.

T- Now this is more like it. Nutty, bitter chocolate, malty backbone, I pegged this as an imperial brown. Some esthery alcohol notes warm the throat.

O- Really nice beer from Lake Placid here, pleasantly surprised by this beer that I hadn't heard until about 20 seconds before I poured it into my glass.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Nonic glass.

Appearance- Dark, cola colored, beautiful two-fingered head which retains beautifully, leaving a lovely lacing on the glass too.

Smell- Hops, and something sweet underneath, something sweet, but dark like figs or dates. Intriguing.

Taste- Reminds me of a Scottish Ale. Initially taste of hops up front, but not like a Pale Ale at all. More roasted and coffee-like with a lingering aftertaste that isn't unpleasant.

Overall- a nice beer that I found enjoyable, by the end of the review I wish to note approval of the 7% ABV which took no time to warm me up. Also a pleasant surprise. Very decent, acceptable brew.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a dark brown with garnet highlights. Head is beige, long lasting, and leaves a light wall of lace.

S: Struggled to get a lot of the nose. A very simple aroma of sweet malts, dark fruits, toffee, and earthy hops.

T: Doesn't really remind me of a strong ale. Flavor has some rich malts including toffee and caramel notes, brown sugar, nuts, & some dark fruts. Earthy hops which gives it a nice bitter finish.

M: Mild carbonation; medium-full body; a creamy, almost buttery texture.

O: This one is easy for me to find here in NY and is reasonably priced- so it makes it a nice go to beer. Not my favorite version of the style however. If someone asked me if I would want one I would definitely take it- can drink 4-5 of these no problem.

3.22/5  rDev -13%

A : aggressive pour into a tupli yields a big tan head, thick and frothy. Color is dark brown with a hint of ruby edge.

S : smells of cleaning solution a bit. a little bit of booze and a hint of dried or candied fruit. a bit of sweet honey type malt and very little hop.

T : dark malt flavor up front with a slightly bittersweet chocolate back. A hint of coffee and a bit of slightly flavor, slightly bitter hops towards the back end of the brew. A bit of booze centralized, but nothing else really. The malt character is quite nice.

M : despite the big head after the pour, the carbonation is low and easy going. A full bodied brew with a bit of a wet finish, yet clean.

An interesting beer for sure. A big malt body with nice hop, but all the balance is towards the malty front. A good beer but not something I'd buy very often.

UBU Ale from Lake Placid Craft Brewing Company