Winter Solstice - Indigo Imp Brewery

Winter SolsticeWinter Solstice

Indigo Imp Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mistofminn on 12-23-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

mhammo129, Feb 04, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

jimmah120, Nov 24, 2013
3.04/5  rDev +2.4%

2013 12 oz. bottle with new name: "Winter Soul"

Pours a slightly hazy amber red, no real head to speak of despite an aggressive pour. Basically a hint of white lace for a split second.

Smells of crisp apples, cinnamon, orange peel, mild pine hop, and biscuit malts.

Tastes of tart apple and orange juice, mild spice, and a hint of hop.

Medium to thin body with minimal carbonation.

This beer is weird. I'm not sure if it's supposed to taste like this or what, but it doesn't taste like any other beer I've had. It's not terrible, just very different. It's like a fruit juice more than anything. Not sure I could recommend it to anyone.

Cylinsier, Nov 23, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

OB1, Apr 03, 2013
1.6/5  rDev -46.1%

My bottle was purchased on clearance For $2 and my label says Winter Soul. I am hoping there is something 100% wrong with my bottle...

No carbonation. Large amounts of heavy sediment again I am drinking from a Samuel Smith pint glass. Hazy brownish almost like a cider look to it.

At first I thought it was a winter edition of a Flanders red with a nice aroma and a sour style flavor. Then the after taste of old tea bags steaped in rotten orange juice made me sure this just can't be right. Since it smells so good, like a dog to its vomit, I have taken 6 good sips and I am going to stop....maybe after this next taste. OK yeah I will agree with the others It is A mess before I make my own mess....

I was hoping to love this beer. I love Flanders Reds. I love Cinnamon! I love that creepy bat cat devil thing on the label....I hated that stupid wax top! I had to shave away the cap to get the bottle open (so I know it was sealed) but for the past week I loved that wax top when I looked at it in my fridge! This beer was so bad I may have to find another just to make sure....

PumaSaysRawrr, Mar 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

Erockss, Feb 09, 2013
2.79/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I was able to find a wax top of this at my local mix six place for $1.75.

A - Quite hazy for an amber looks more like an old ale with a deep brown hue. Head is almost not existent with just a mild lace ring.

S - First smell was mild with some caramel and toffee malt but in the glass I am getting a Flanders red sort of tart brett smell. Other than that funk it mostly smells good.

T - OW wow is this sour like infected sour. Brett seems to have completely taken over and the rest of the body is hollow and watery like a fruit punch. What a fail on an amber/red ale!

M - Not sure the ABV but it drinks like a light beer but not as crisp. The zero carbonation makes it worse.

Overall I am not sure why you would distribute this let alone wax the freaking top. To be fair it was quite cool since they even put a string in the wax for easy removal. Not sure what they were keeping the air out from since this beer is a disaster. Drain pour/avoid!

DrDemento456, Jan 19, 2013
1.35/5  rDev -54.5%

Another installment from Ryan011235 in the It Ain't All Columbus IPA and Edmund Fitzgerald Up Here series of Ohio reality checks. 12 ounce bottle/LaChouffe tulip. (I find myself slightly disappointed that this Imp offering isn't wax-dipped for that extra touch of fanciness.) Slightly hazy deep amber with a head that quickly pulls a disappearing act. No lace.

The pleasant combo of caramel and honey aromas is beaten down by canned frozen orange juice and a vaguely medicinal smell. Tangy to dang near the point of complete sourness; anything else going on here is pretty much drowned out. Fizzy carbonation aplenty. A complete mess. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Imp, but the open fermentation thing? It's a disaster.

PDXHops, Oct 11, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Eww. This is an amber? Disaster. Jump ship! Jump ship! Okay. It isn't that bad, but as an amber, we're nowhere near where we should be. This is very carbonated and, I want to say, frothy. It seems like a Belgian amber almost. Well. Anyways. There are a lot of malts and it has a fruit tone to it. Oh. Did I say that the nose reminded me of kool-aid at first? Well, now I did. Maybe if the beer was classified in a different way I wouldn't feel the same. It's still a fairly tasty beer.

RblWthACoz, Aug 24, 2012

baffoos, Apr 17, 2012

andrewj17, Mar 31, 2012

Tyrawlings, Feb 16, 2012

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Average brown color with a thin head that disappears quite quickly.
S: Quite malty, with caramel and just a bit of nondescript spice/citrus.
T: Quite sour, as is the case with most of Indigo Imp's beers. Some of the caramel/citrus/generic spice from the nose comes through, but is hidden beneath the acid.
M: Light and crisp.
O: I like this because I like acidity, but I would much rather drink it as a refreshing drink during the summer, it did not come across as a winter beer to me.

ONUMello, Feb 02, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Worthy to note that the name of this beer was changed to Winter Soul.

Not much on the nose at all. A little astringent smelling, but it's very feint. I get a few sour notes as well, some very light fruit and chocolate.

Winter Soul's look is a bit disappointing, it is a deep hazy red color with no head what-so-ever. Minimal lacing, nothing very noteworthy.

Winter Soul tastes pretty good, dispute it's lackluster aroma and appearance. It has a nice Brett character that gives a little sourness, but nothing lip puckering. It There is an immediate sweetness you get right before the Brett takes over. I would describe this as a caramel-like flavor. Hop flavor are nonexistent.

The beer is easy to drink, and is nice and medium-bodied with light carbonation.

tlazaroff, Jan 28, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +35.7%

A: Pours a cloudy dark Amber with a thick white head.

S: A definite yeast aroma is present as well a hint of lemon zest and coriander.

T: The flavors are very well melded together. Very round caramel notes blend into a restrained coriander spice flavor, and a hint of alcohol that lingers pleasantly.

M: Very smooth with a lower than normal amount of carbonation which is line with it being from a cask.

O: A tasty and well rounded beer. The flavors blend together well, and the low carbonation keeps it from having any sharp edges to its flavor.

RedSpecial1, Jan 14, 2012

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

DrBier, Jan 01, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +11.1%

12 oz bottle poured into mug.

A: no head, no clarity. Dark amber in color.

S: slight orange peel, cinnamon, and belgian yeast esters

T: Orange and slight banana flavors

M: very light carbonation, somewhat syrupy.

O: despite the way i described everything, this is a good holiday beer. this is a good one.

hyprlt, Dec 20, 2011

tat2dhllblly, Dec 14, 2011

Indigo Imp : Winter Solstice

Pours a murly brown, with no head and little sign of carbonation. Aroma of caramel, spice and vegetal notes. In the taste, cocoa, nutty malt and a touch of spice on the back end. Carbonation is between low and non-existant. Overall, mellow flavors, with a bit more carbonation this would be better.

Stinkypuss, Dec 02, 2011
2.08/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Thanks to readbaron (maybe) for bringing this along.

Appearance: This is a murky brown copper color with plentiful black flecks of particulate. A large-bubbled white head fades to a wispy ring.

Smell: Wow, this is pretty bad. Cooked vegetables and some stinky feet go along with caramel malt. Light spiced and heavy bready malt.

Taste: The flavor starts with a full caramel sweetness, then some soft cinnamon and general spiciness. No real hoppy flavor here. The finish is reminiscent of steamed cauliflower.

Mouthfeel: The body is unnecessarily light, with a medium carbonation and a tingly mouthfeel. Sticky on the lips.

Overall: This is pretty bad. The flavor is not as bad as the aroma, but an absence of bad flavor is hardly a compliment.

KickInTheChalice, Sep 09, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -45.1%

Pours a muddy amber with off white head. Small bubbles, and minimal lacing.

Smell is brutal. Feet and rotting/moldy vegetables are prominant. Some malt and bready aromas underneath. Supposedly it has cinnamon and orange. I didn't notice those.

Taste is a lot like the nose. Not as brutal, but still very bad. More on the vegetable side than the feet side. Lots of malt as well.

Feel is decent. A bit dry, medium carbed.

Ugh. Drainpour. Wish I'd tried this sooner (assuming that it tasted better last winter).

readbaron, Sep 09, 2011