Winter Solstice - Indigo Imp Brewery

Winter SolsticeWinter Solstice

Indigo Imp Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Mistofminn on 12-23-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
PDXHops

South Carolina

1.35/5  rDev -54.4%

Another installment from Ryan011235 in the It Ain't All Columbus IPA and Edmund Fitzgerald Up Here series of Ohio reality checks. 12 ounce bottle/LaChouffe tulip. (I find myself slightly disappointed that this Imp offering isn't wax-dipped for that extra touch of fanciness.) Slightly hazy deep amber with a head that quickly pulls a disappearing act. No lace.

The pleasant combo of caramel and honey aromas is beaten down by canned frozen orange juice and a vaguely medicinal smell. Tangy to dang near the point of complete sourness; anything else going on here is pretty much drowned out. Fizzy carbonation aplenty. A complete mess. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Imp, but the open fermentation thing? It's a disaster.

10-10-2012 23:07:35 | More by PDXHops

1.5/5  rDev -49.3%

02-13-2014 15:00:28 | More by JAHMUR
PumaSaysRawrr

1.6/5  rDev -45.9%

My bottle was purchased on clearance For $2 and my label says Winter Soul. I am hoping there is something 100% wrong with my bottle...

No carbonation. Large amounts of heavy sediment again I am drinking from a Samuel Smith pint glass. Hazy brownish almost like a cider look to it.

At first I thought it was a winter edition of a Flanders red with a nice aroma and a sour style flavor. Then the after taste of old tea bags steaped in rotten orange juice made me sure this just can't be right. Since it smells so good, like a dog to its vomit, I have taken 6 good sips and I am going to stop....maybe after this next taste. OK yeah I will agree with the others It is A mess before I make my own mess....

I was hoping to love this beer. I love Flanders Reds. I love Cinnamon! I love that creepy bat cat devil thing on the label....I hated that stupid wax top! I had to shave away the cap to get the bottle open (so I know it was sealed) but for the past week I loved that wax top when I looked at it in my fridge! This beer was so bad I may have to find another just to make sure....

03-18-2013 02:47:19 | More by PumaSaysRawrr
readbaron

1.63/5  rDev -44.9%

Pours a muddy amber with off white head. Small bubbles, and minimal lacing.

Smell is brutal. Feet and rotting/moldy vegetables are prominant. Some malt and bready aromas underneath. Supposedly it has cinnamon and orange. I didn't notice those.

Taste is a lot like the nose. Not as brutal, but still very bad. More on the vegetable side than the feet side. Lots of malt as well.

Feel is decent. A bit dry, medium carbed.

Ugh. Drainpour. Wish I'd tried this sooner (assuming that it tasted better last winter).

09-09-2011 02:27:50 | More by readbaron
Ryan011235

1.9/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass on 11/26/10

Dense, cloudy copper/amber color. Countless bubbles cling the inside of the glass. Boasting an outrageous three finger plus barrier of foam, the head crackled as it receded. It was audible from a foot away, sounding like Pop Rock & rain on a window sill. No lace; no retention by the end.

Smells of fermented orange juice, caramel, toasted cinnamon bread, rotten orange rind citric hops, a touch of musty yeast & earthy notions. Neither particularly bad nor good. Had something of a plasticine aroma when I open the bottle, though it's absent once poured.

Wow, this tastes really weird. A dull malt bill of toasted bread & caramel is aggravated by brash spices & carbonation. Cinnamon, tea leaves & orange something. A little bit of hoppy bitterness. Everything about the taste is cluttered & muddled; in turn it's rather unpleasant. It doesn't help that the taste can best be summed up as artificial & rotten.

Masquerades as medium body; perhaps there is some truth to it though the feel becomes watery & incredibly thin mid way through. Carbonation is vigorous on the front end; it subsides a little but is ample throughout. Waxy finish with notes of putrid orange rind, processed spice & plastic.

At first I thought this would be a solid offering from Indigo Imp; while cold it tastes ok, if a little bland. As it warms, the aforementioned penchant for the artificial & rotten takes hold. This doesn't even come close to the dregs of Northeast Ohio's best winter brews.

11-28-2010 01:28:36 | More by Ryan011235
IdrinkGas

01-04-2012 01:54:54 | More by IdrinkGas
KickInTheChalice

2.08/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Thanks to readbaron (maybe) for bringing this along.

Appearance: This is a murky brown copper color with plentiful black flecks of particulate. A large-bubbled white head fades to a wispy ring.

Smell: Wow, this is pretty bad. Cooked vegetables and some stinky feet go along with caramel malt. Light spiced and heavy bready malt.

Taste: The flavor starts with a full caramel sweetness, then some soft cinnamon and general spiciness. No real hoppy flavor here. The finish is reminiscent of steamed cauliflower.

Mouthfeel: The body is unnecessarily light, with a medium carbonation and a tingly mouthfeel. Sticky on the lips.

Overall: This is pretty bad. The flavor is not as bad as the aroma, but an absence of bad flavor is hardly a compliment.

09-09-2011 03:15:47 | More by KickInTheChalice
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.38/5  rDev -19.6%

A semi clouded amber brown hue with a nice light khaki head pours thick initially but as the head dwindles rather quickly the bubbles are really fizzing away. Aroma has immediate citrus peel and spice combo going on, a bit of caramel or vanilla complementing the fruit and spice. Straight up pine and cinnamon bark bitterness a bit of wet cardboard and tobacco leaf. The spices and carbonation level numb the palate, mild caramel or powdered dry dark chocolate notes hint but this is a strange bird that I am not really feeling. I much rather drank the more sour ales like the Blonde and the Jester. Mouthfeel is unpleasant with the palate numbing effect and heavy carbonation that makes for a pretty lackluster experience. Drinkability is not good for me, some may dig but I'm not feeling it. I like the spontaneous open fermentation and the orignality of these brews but this one I would and could pass on.

03-25-2010 04:11:41 | More by WVbeergeek
corby112

2.63/5  rDev -11.1%

From notes:

I received this as an extra in a trade but I can't remember who sent it. Pours a cloudy very dark amber/chestnut brown color with dark golden burnt orange hues when held to light and a thin fizzy yellowish head that quickly fades into a thin ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

The aroma is kind of bland with hints of citrus peel, peppery spice, subtle earthy hops, pale malt and alcohol sweetness.

Thin bodied and very sweet with a prominet citrus peel flavor along with pepery spice, subtle hops and caramel malt. Surprisingly not too watered down, a touch syrupy with a slight dry finish.

12-25-2010 01:44:50 | More by corby112
MCDuhamel

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams beer glass at fridge temperatures.

A: Pours a murky light brown with significant chill haze (yes, I carefully decanted off the yeast). Formed a nice head that settles to a tight cap and follows the beer down the glass. No lacing.

S: Spice and orange peel are strongly present, with cinnamon in particular being evident.

T: The beer presents first somewhat like a wit, with notes of orange peel and spice and lots of spritzy carbonation. Some vanilla seems to be in there too. I don't get too much more than the spices, though, although some graininess is detectable toward the finish. There is no hops presence.

M: Very light and spritzy, which is quite odd in a winter warmer.

D: On a cold winter night, this isn't really what I would usually select. With the spices, I think one is plenty.

Overall: I really, really wanted to like this beer. The brewery, which is local to me, says on its website that it brews in open fermenters and bottle conditions. I LOVE that! Unfortunately, this beer is way out of style. Maybe I was expecting a typical "winter warmer" and shouldn't have, but that's how the beer is marketed. The body is too light, the carbonation is too high, and the spices could be more subtle. The chill haze is a shame too; I don't filter the beer I make in my basement, and I manage to get it much clearer.

01-17-2009 23:59:37 | More by MCDuhamel
tlazaroff

2.75/5  rDev -7.1%

Worthy to note that the name of this beer was changed to Winter Soul.

Not much on the nose at all. A little astringent smelling, but it's very feint. I get a few sour notes as well, some very light fruit and chocolate.

Winter Soul's look is a bit disappointing, it is a deep hazy red color with no head what-so-ever. Minimal lacing, nothing very noteworthy.

Winter Soul tastes pretty good, dispute it's lackluster aroma and appearance. It has a nice Brett character that gives a little sourness, but nothing lip puckering. It There is an immediate sweetness you get right before the Brett takes over. I would describe this as a caramel-like flavor. Hop flavor are nonexistent.

The beer is easy to drink, and is nice and medium-bodied with light carbonation.

01-28-2012 03:34:29 | More by tlazaroff
DrDemento456

2.79/5  rDev -5.7%

I was able to find a wax top of this at my local mix six place for $1.75.

A - Quite hazy for an amber looks more like an old ale with a deep brown hue. Head is almost not existent with just a mild lace ring.

S - First smell was mild with some caramel and toffee malt but in the glass I am getting a Flanders red sort of tart brett smell. Other than that funk it mostly smells good.

T - OW wow is this sour like infected sour. Brett seems to have completely taken over and the rest of the body is hollow and watery like a fruit punch. What a fail on an amber/red ale!

M - Not sure the ABV but it drinks like a light beer but not as crisp. The zero carbonation makes it worse.

Overall I am not sure why you would distribute this let alone wax the freaking top. To be fair it was quite cool since they even put a string in the wax for easy removal. Not sure what they were keeping the air out from since this beer is a disaster. Drain pour/avoid!

01-19-2013 02:38:45 | More by DrDemento456
JohnGalt1

Idaho

2.8/5  rDev -5.4%

Buckeyeboy brought this one over... Thanks for a "new to me" brewery... Jeremy is good people.

Pours with tan/yellow head.. hazy amber brew.

Nose is lite orange with some cinnamon..

Flavor is pretty odd.... sour.. I don't know if it is off or not, but there is an orange juice element that I just don't dig... the spices dig into the palate too much for me.... Seems pretty flimsy.

Lite/medium body and okay carbonation.

Ehhhh. I drain poured this one.

Thanks Jeremy.... Interesting, but not good by a long shot.

3.5/3.5/2.5/3/2.5

07-26-2010 07:59:03 | More by JohnGalt1
rlshep

2.8/5  rDev -5.4%

Aroma: Dark fruit, prunes, Cinnamon, bakers chocolate. I'm getting a musty earthy smell. Alcohol noticeable.

Appearance: Pours huge 4 finger off-white head. Couldn't pour the whole bottle into a pint glass. Dark amber color. Lots of carbonation. Clear

Flavor: Big dark chocolate icing flavor. Low levels of cinnamon. Sweet sugary/tart aftertaste. Medium high bitterness. A little harsh, not sure if from bitterness or high alcohols.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Sweetness a little cloying. Alcohol starts in mid mouthfeel and keeps going through finish, warming.

Overall: I really want to like this brewery, this beer just doesn't win me over. Overpowering chocolate and sweetness just turns me off. Not a horrible beer, just nothing to be impressed by.

03-22-2011 01:17:57 | More by rlshep
AltBock

2.88/5  rDev -2.7%

12 oz. bottle that was sealed with blue wax. In every Indigo Imp six pack, there is one of these wax sealed bottles. I believe it's more of a gimmick than anything else. The label depicts an Imp wearing a blue and white scarf sitting on top of a snow falling Winter scene. This Winter scene has the name of the beer covered in snow. To the left of picture is the Government warning and to the right of the picture is a description of the beer, information about the brewery, proper serving temp, and pouring instructions. The only piece of info missing is some kind of best before date.

When poured into a Bell's Brewery pint glass, "Winter Solstice" was an overly carbonated murky apple cider brown color with a fizzy 1/4 of inch tan colored head of foam. Despite its small size, it actually had decent retention that left behind a crescent moon shaped skim of foam and a few spots of lace around the glass. If you took off the head of foam, you could easily pass this beer off as apple cider. Well, that is if you only look at it from a short distance.

This beer loved the spices! There were so many that it would take forever to write them all out, so I'll just give you a small sample. The most notable spices were allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. In between all the spices was the strong scent of orange peel. I've never had a beer before that was so into the orange peel. If you're lucky, you might get a subtle whiff of toasted malts somewhere near the tail end of the aroma.

To me, this beer tasted like they replaced the malts and hops with orange peel and spices. It was just a spicy beer. The taste was exactly like the aroma, it was spicy with allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg and then stuck in the gaps of all the spices, was a ton of orange peel. I couldn't see how the taste of hops would improve the taste any, but certainly the appearance of malts would have done the taste a little justice. Tone down the spices and orange peel and add a touch of malt.

All the spices and orange peel in the taste made for a medium bodied beer. This medium bodied beer had a, you guessed it, spicy aftertaste filled with nothing but spices and orange peel.

As you can tell for my words, I didn't care much for this beer. It was way too spicy and it contained far too much orange peel. Even though it had a wax seal, I fully doubt this beer will age very well. Drink it fresh to get it out of your life. Hopefully this beer is a winter seasonal because there's no way a mediocre spicy beer could sell very well in the Spring and Summer months.

03-07-2009 21:37:23 | More by AltBock
maximum12

2.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to obrienej for dropping this into as an extra into a trade for my first BA BORIS. Always good to be introduced to a new brewery.

Pours is nice, brilliant ruby red that's very clean & clear, crackling audibly w/carbonation. Smells like a nice American red: muted hops with a background of spices.

Oh...my...god. The spices in this creature are simply overwhelming. Spices run riot! Call in the stun tank! I like my spicing in winter beers as a sly wink & a nod, tastes like this one was spiced with a fire hose. The ending hops make a noble effort to restrain the merriment, & move this a bit towards champagne territory, what with the bubbling & light fruits added to the spicing.

Winter Solstice suffers on the back end, though. The carbonation is revving out of control - I can seriously hear it from a few feet away. And the over-spicing (I imagine this being worked in the mash tun with a eight-foot paddle of cinnamon...) means that this is one & done.

This one has some promise, but some subtlety would be very welcome. For those who like their beer spicy & fast.

01-03-2010 02:42:38 | More by maximum12
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Rich cherry red with bright orange edges. A generous amount of fine carbonation isn't up to the task of maintaining the fizzy crown for long. The foam is harsh and unsticky, which leaves the glass almost spotless. Other than a fantastic hue, there's nothing impressive about the appearance.

The aroma is sour, as expected. Otherwise, Winter Solstice doesn't smell much like a winter warmer/holiday ale. The Cascade hops are nonexistent and the orange peel and cinnamon are barely noted, if at all. The beer has some serious work to do on the taste buds.

I'm not feeling it. WS tastes like a caramel malted sour beer with a generic spiciness. It's a mishmash of flavors that doesn't come together well at all, not even with warming. It isn't horrible beer, but neither is it delicious, complex or interesting beer.

Far be it from me to give advice to a brewer, because I don't know the first thing about the business. Having said that... I think this whole wild yeast thing is the wrong tack to take. First, it isn't resulting in good beer. Second, it's hard to believe that sales are very high for beer of this sort, especially with a world-class outfit like Great Lakes in town.

Bottom line: different can be good, but it has to be *good* different. And it isn't in this case. Flavors include heavily toasted-earthy-nutty malt, steely caramel, sour-rancid fruit and a finishing tang of orange peel. There's very little cinnamon, which is probably just as well.

The mouthfeel is nowhere near where it should be for a winter seasonal. It's too thin and the bubbles are harsh and fizzy rather than soft and caressing. Bottle-conditioning might not be the right choice, unless it can be improved upon in future releases.

I would like nothing more than to see a new craft brewery succeed in my former home of Cleveland, Ohio. Unless some serious changes are made, though, I don't see Indigo Imp going the distance. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

03-26-2009 13:16:22 | More by BuckeyeNation
DrBier

01-01-2012 00:33:50 | More by DrBier
Tyrawlings

02-16-2012 19:19:20 | More by Tyrawlings
Stinkypuss

Indigo Imp : Winter Solstice

Pours a murly brown, with no head and little sign of carbonation. Aroma of caramel, spice and vegetal notes. In the taste, cocoa, nutty malt and a touch of spice on the back end. Carbonation is between low and non-existant. Overall, mellow flavors, with a bit more carbonation this would be better.

12-02-2011 04:41:09 | More by Stinkypuss
ONUMello

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Average brown color with a thin head that disappears quite quickly.
S: Quite malty, with caramel and just a bit of nondescript spice/citrus.
T: Quite sour, as is the case with most of Indigo Imp's beers. Some of the caramel/citrus/generic spice from the nose comes through, but is hidden beneath the acid.
M: Light and crisp.
O: I like this because I like acidity, but I would much rather drink it as a refreshing drink during the summer, it did not come across as a winter beer to me.

02-02-2012 00:08:55 | More by ONUMello
baffoos

04-17-2012 18:02:08 | More by baffoos
mhammo129

02-04-2014 07:50:16 | More by mhammo129
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, brown body with a small head that quickly fizzles away.

Smell: Tart-scented nose with notes of caramel, citrus, and dull, earthy spices.

Taste: Amalgamation of dusty caramel maltiness and an obstinate tartness. Subtle hints of spice, fruit, and citrus can be found amongst the overall taste flavor. Light hop bitterness. Finishes predictably tart.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonated.

Drinkability: Ok, listen up, so Indigo Imp beers are fermented in open fermentation tanks allowing for all sorts of wild yeasts (and imps) to permeate the final beer. That explains alot. Personally, I'd prefer the bottles to more clearly state this fact, as there's a mighty fine line between "intentional" and "oops!"

01-04-2009 21:50:18 | More by ChainGangGuy