Jester - Indigo Imp Brewery

JesterJester

Indigo Imp Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: MCDuhamel on 04-22-2009

1.57/5  rDev -45.7%

This one poured a hazy yellow orange with a 1/2" head that left a thin ring of bubbles around the edge. The smell is cotton candy, bubblegum, light sweet fruits, and a slight hint of some sour lemon. The taste is actual really bad. There is a strong mouth puckering sour lemon flavor that dominates everything. The sweetness tries to come through but is beaten back by the sourness. There is no carbonation at all in the feel of this one and it is very thin and watery. The drinkability is horrible and this was a very rare drainpour for me. I really wanted to like this but I guess my wife is still the only good thing to come out of Ohio. (640 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -45.3%

On tap in a pint glass at Hal & Al's on 9/10/10

Unfiltered. Cloudy tangerine, pineapple juice highlights. Very murky. Poured no head. No lace.

The aroma is a weird cluster of bland, past-prime fruit - banana, apple, pear & hints of orange. A touch of Belgian style yeast, though lacking spiciness.

The taste isn't quite a bland, but is by no means good. Tart apple notes & some banana. Hints of hops. Slightly more spicy. Finishes kind of medicinal. Tastes as murky as it looks.

Medium body. Carbonation is moderate but not enough to augment the mild spices. Rotting fruit esters linger beyond the finish.

Certainly the shaker pint didn't help, but I doubt a tulip would cure what ails this beer. It's just not enjoyable at all. Indigo Imp is going to have to step up their game to hang in Cleveland. (806 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -43.3%

12 ounce bottle from Ryan011235, poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Slightly hazy orange with a fizzy soda pop-style head that's gone in a flash. No head, no lace. I do like the hue, though.

Smells bready with a vague fruity marmalade quality. I suppose there's a light stray spicy Belgian yeast note in there somewhere, but as this stuff warms up, the fruit smells take a turn toward tart and overpowering territory.

Holy mackerel, tart indeed, not to mention sorta rotten tasting. Multiple tiny sips are required to evaluate this critter, and tiny sips are frankly all I care to venture. Vegetative, medicinal, somehow with a fruitiness that's simultaneously tart, almost sour, but overripe. The abundant carbonation does this stuff no favors; then again, the level of carbonation is probably the least of the concerns here. (826 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -43.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Tick.

A: Pours a turbid goldenrod capped with off-white foam. The murkiness is a distinct turnoff; even a careful pour couldn't avoid it, so I don't think it's sediment.

S: Reminds of shoe polish and mildew at first. Apples, bananas, some spice (clove?).

T: An overall muted flavor. I picked up some mild fruitiness: bananas, apples, orange rind. Yeast and spice in the finish. There's an odd shoe polish note in the exhalation.

M: Falls quickly off the tongue, with a watery finish.

D: Not my style. No one bothered with more than a small sip. (591 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -41.5%

Appearance - Slightly pink and blonde. Average lacing with a nice ring.

Smell - Slightly sour with hints of sewage. Not much else going on. Very dark fruits.

Taste - I definitely get that Belgian taste; it's just not very good. While the smell is sour one, it transfers into an unpleasant bitterness. The taste is entirely too bitter and unpleasant. It's very acidic with no hints of other Belgian properties.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Not very drinkable. Too bitter and unpleasantly rawly sour. Medium bodied. Just unpleasant. (531 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -40.1%

Thanks to Jesse13713 for sharing this one with me, saving me around two dollars and six ounces of room in my stomach.

A: Cloudy, basically opaque golden-amber-butterscotch. Half finger of white head that is gone as quickly as it appeared; maybe quicker than the head on a soda.

S: Smells like corn on the cob, with hints of sweetness, tanginess, and barbecue (why?). Not too good at all.

T: Alright taste, considering the smell- a bit of tang comes into play but leaves just as quickly as it was introduced. Letting this sit in your mouth leaves you with a watery, nothing taste. Finish is unenjoyable and somewhat metallic.

M: Very thin for the style, goes down like water, which I suppose could be called 'smooth,' but why call this smooth when there are so many better beers that actually are smooth? No stickiness or thickness whatsoever.

D: Don't think I would want this again, especially for the style- quite unoriginal tasting and nothing making me want to pick it up again. (986 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle thanks to Ryan011235, who I can always count on to supply me with the Indian Wells equivalents of the midwest.

The appearance is - WTF - extremely murky orange with a quickly fading off-white head. Looks disgusting.

The smell is rather wheaty with a bit of orange, almost like Blue Moon, which is not good.

The flavor is rather citric with sweet caramel and spice, with an acrid, off-putting finish. Man, this is rough.

Falls flat on the mouthfeel with some astringency and medium-light body.

Well, Ryan described Indigo Imp as the Indian Wells of Ohio, and judging by this beer, he's not far off. This is bad. (627 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Murky, light brown look. Minimal head.
S: Funky smell; almost like a spoiled fruit.
T: Fruity, but not distinctive. Bland taste relative to the more pungent smell.
M: Medium body with a slightly creamy feel.
O: I'm glad I got this as a single bottle in a make-your-own six pack. (282 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange/amber color with a half finger of off white head. The head goes away very quickly leaving just a trace around the edge of the glass.

Smell: This is a surprise. The smell is tart and a bit funky. Smells like this beer is going to be quite acidic. There is also a slight sweetness.

Taste: There is some sweet malt, tart fruit, and a note of cooked vegetables. This is a really weird beer. Acidic and sour, but not in a particularly good way. Had no idea what to expect and can't say that I'm a fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with large bubbles and a finish that isn't as dry as it should be.

Overall: I'm all for trying new things, but this is a terrible beer. (743 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A strange beer, actually quite unpleasant and not to my taste at all.

Poured from a 12oz bottle, a good pour resulting in a lasting foamy head.

Appearance: slightly cloudy amber appaerance. the beer is unpasteurised and unfiltered so you may end up with sediment in the glass

Aroma: A sour aroma, hints of fruit.

Taste: the further in got down the glass the harder it was to finish, a sour unpleasant taste.

mouthfeel: plenty of carbonation.

Overall not a beer i'd recommmend or try again. (495 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -28.7%

I read about this brewery last year but never gave it another thought until I found them at my local and thought I'd give them a go. Reviews of this pale have not been kind, and judging by the sour smell coming the pour, I have a feeling...

I wouldn't even say the smell is like sour wine, but more like olive oil. I looked for a born on date, with none to be found. A bit of the grain used and a hint of hops.

Looks the standard orange to amber, little head and little lace. There was a good bit of carbonation which kept the slightlace alive.

Mouth :DAH! WHAT IS THIS? My honest reaction as i puckered from the sour but it is slightly creamy and goes down like water.

Okay. I'll be objectionable as possible. I don't know if this could be called a Pale Ale, but it reminds me of some low end pales I've tried at a BA. Totally lemon, sour with a hit of hops but the sour isn't like a lemon head sour, but a "turned beer" sour. There is a mid note of some sort of pale ale, but then the olive oil taste comes through.

Sorry, it's a drain pour for me. Bad batch perhaps, but seeing the reviews before me. I'll let this stand. (1,133 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle served in shaker pint.

A: Pours a deep, murky, dirty gold. Not much different than a blended Arnold Palmer. Head is small and after a very short time it has completely disappeared. This one is not off to a good start.

S: Initially smells of a very weak version of weizen yeast. Some fruity, estery aromas are hanging around as well. Maybe a slight lactic sourness is lingering in the background. Meh.

T: This one is kinda messy. Very bland up front, pale malt and not much else. Followed up with some cidery flavors. Finishes with a vague sweet and sour note. Aftertaste is mildly sour, but not pleasantly so.

M: Undercarbonated. Weak mouthfeel. Has a slightly chalky feel in the finish.

D: Very low. I'm considering a drainpour, which is something I NEVER do. It's not that it's disgusting or undrinkable, I just find it completely boring. I feel like I'm wasting my time by drinking this beer.

I appreciate that fact that this brewery uses some open fermentation in an attempt to create unique beers. Unfortuneatly, it doesn't really work out in the final product. Since this is a (semi)local brewery I hope that they get it all sorted out. Hopefully the the bottle of porter I have from Indigo Imp is better than this offering. (1,248 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -20.8%

A- Pours a orangey red with a thin off white head. Wait its not even the right color for Belgian pale?

S- Pear, spices, and Bavarian yeast.

T- Wow this is officially the worst attempt at a Belgian pale I've had. Flavors are thin and disjointed. Leads with bland malts and moves to spice note and yeast sourness.

M- Thin body with unrefined carbonation.

D- This is just bad how does this company justify asking what it does for a six pack of beer($8.99 I believe). I'm going to play Nostradamus and say this company will not survive. Third beer I've had from them all bad. (575 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -20.1%

I am a native (and old) Clevelander, but still I passed on this the first couple times I saw this. I guess I should have kept passing. Hopefully this brand will pass too.

There isn't much to like with this one. I will be careful to not pour ANY of the sediment on the next one, as it obviously imparts a nasty bad-homebrew type taste. Often I relish some tasty yeast sediment, but not here. This one is not so good.

It reminds me of the bottom of your fridge - that rotted unindentifiable stuff with a sweet smell. I will wait until I have had a few to drink the rest of these and avoid this brand in the future.

Edit 2-17-2012. I met a nice young man that works at this brewery today and looking at this review I realize I was EXTREMELY harsh. I'm sorry, Cory. I am trying Dragon Stout and I may try others. Bob (815 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Duvel glass. No date. The body was a turbid butterscotch color. There was a creamy eggshell head that fell to a ring and left no lace.

The smell was of soft Belgian yeast. Slight bubblegum. There was a mild sourness too.

The taste was sweet and tart. Mildly peppery. Canned pears. Tonic water. Finishes dry and effervescent. A bit hollow, drinkable but dulled.

Mouthfeel was medium density with plenty of carbonation. Underwhelming overall really. (487 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Hue of amber brown with a rather weak head. No retention or lace at all.

S: Spicy aroma with hints of corn, lemon, and yeast, and plastic.

T: Plastic. This one has a strange sour lemon, subtle sweetness going on. Hints of Belgian spice and more plastic. It's all over the place, in a not so good way.

M: Light in body, lacking carbonation.

D: Not really. (361 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with an overwhelmingly large head; nice stick age, however

Smell: Vaguely cidery, with a bit of toffee underneath

Taste: Toffee, up front, with a growing sour cidery aspect; increasingly tar, on the finish, with an odd toffee flavor that provides a contrast, underneath

Mouthfeel: Light body with fizzy carbonation

Overall: What a strange beer this is; a battle in contrast

Thanks, Cresant, for the opportunity (449 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -6.6%

I got this beer from drgonzo3705. Thanks Paul!

L - lightly hazed copper color with a thin white head from a very slow pour to avoid getting all the yeast in the glass.

S - sour apricot with a candy sugar sweetness in the background.

T - sour fruit taste upfront with a hint of sweet before turning sour and a bit yeasty on the finish.

F - medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - I sat on this beer for a while and it reminded me sort of like a Belgian sour, a style I'm not a big fan of but have a slight appreciation for. (527 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

some sort of almost wild ale here, really unimpressed, and there are some really rough off flavors here. decent appearance though, deeper golden in color with a half inch of white head. the nose is really brutal, it smells like feet, sweaty and gross. i also smell what seems like an unintended lacto infection, not mature and acidic, but new and funky in the bad way. grains up front are generic and pale, while the finish is this slightly tart odorous yeast thing that really just doesnt work. i didnt really know what to expect from this one, because the label gives very little information and i have never had anything from this brewery before, but this confirms for now that i really havent been missing much. this bottle had been carefully aged at cellar temperature by a friend of mine for over a year, and it didnt do any favors to this. weird yeasty and just unappealing. (881 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

When I first poured this I had to check and make sure it wasn't a wheat beer - it's cloudy, what the hell is that about?

It smells ok, really fruity/estery. It has some decent body but nothing out of the ordinary. The hops contribute some lemony citrus bitterness but not much. Tastewise, my god... I could barely taste any of the malt or hops because there was so much damn tartness to this beer.

I realize they want to do something unique by fermenting in open tanks, but if they're gonna do that they need to figure out how to use it to their advantage and make something that justifies it. Anyone can let a beer spoil. (624 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A - pours with a short lived inch of loose, light tan foam, settling to a thin film. the beer is mostly clear, light copper in color with active bubbling.

S - bright and yeasty, with some fruity apples and banana. slight mildewy mustiness carries throughout, with some slightly cooked veggies and grains.

T - some flashes of fruit, red apples, pear, and some over-ripened banana. chiming in after that is some yeast, complete with phenols. complete lack of hops leave this unfinished at the end.

M - thin body, with a little below average level of carbonation. extremely odd and sticky after the swallow, and a bit unpleasant.

D - drinkable, bordering unpleasant. held back severely by an awkward, sticky and irritating mouthfeel. not much good to pull out of this. (769 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle purchased in Kent OH, first time I've seen it in a store. I was kind of excited to try a new OH brewery but this beer wasn't all I'd hoped. First off, the appearance was marred by absolutely NO HEAD. I could see bubbles and some carbonation inside the hazy translucent gold body but nothing on top. The aroma seems Belgian, lightly hoppy and a good amount of esters. The taste was OK I guess, some bubblegum and a little bit of Unibroue yeast profile, kind of hits the mark. The body is thick and lightly carbonated, probably too thick for the style and a bit of a chore to drink. I'll pass on it in the future. (623 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Jester pours an interesting copper color. It’s very hazy, and looks a little orange with backlighting. Definitely intriguing for a Belgian Pale. It’s topped with a slightly off-white head. It stands about a finger tall and falls to a surface covering quickly. It holds firm there for a while. Lacing was light to moderate.

The nose is pretty good. It’s definitely spicy and fruity. Spicy clove and pepper might be attributable to the yeast. The yeast definitely has a Belgian character, but its presence could be stronger. Fruity notes of orange and apricot are there. Alcohol is not noticeable. It’s a little weak in terms of strength, and isn’t all that deep. Still smells pretty good.

The flavor is definitely a step or two below the nose. It kicks off with clove and pepper spice flavors. They’re not very intense, but don’t taste bad. The fruity orange and apricot flavors are much more subtle here. There’s a little yeast, but it’s faint and is only barely reminiscent of Belgian yeast. It just fades away from there. Alcohol is very light. Finishes with light spice and yeast flavors.

Jester has a lighter body that won’t be confused with anything Belgian. Carbonation is active, but doesn’t seem buzzy. Too thin to be smooth. It goes down relatively easy, but it’s not all that enjoyable.

To be fair, Jester isn’t a joke. It’s not very good beer, but it isn’t a total disaster. To be a successful Belgian Pale, it needs more of everything – aromatics, flavor, body – the works. If you ignore the style classification, it might be somewhat passable. In any event, it needs work. (1,625 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a copper-orange color with substantial yeast haze. Three fingers of cream colored head provided the best rating component of this beer (appearance).

S: Malt and ripe fruit.

T: Sweet malt then sour after-taste. Not very complex or desirable. The acidic after-taste became more pronounced as I drank and ultimately required me to "force down" the last few sips since it was my first beer of the evening.

M: Full and rich on the palate with lively carbonation.

D: Not very, unless you don't mind a beer with a sour after-taste. (539 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy straw color with hints of orange in it. The head is about half a finger and receds to skim with a little lace. The aroma is of clove with a slight hint of belgian yeast. The taste has a clove and spice start before giving way to a slight citrus note. The end has a slight belgian yeast sweetness to it. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall its an okay beer, the aromas and taste just are not quite there. If the nose and taste were stronger this would be a solid beer. (492 characters)

Jester from Indigo Imp Brewery