1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Jester - Indigo Imp Brewery

JesterJester

poor

Indigo Imp Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MCDuhamel on 04-22-2009)
1.65/5  rDev -42.9%

Appearance - Slightly pink and blonde. Average lacing with a nice ring.

Smell - Slightly sour with hints of sewage. Not much else going on. Very dark fruits.

Taste - I definitely get that Belgian taste; it's just not very good. While the smell is sour one, it transfers into an unpleasant bitterness. The taste is entirely too bitter and unpleasant. It's very acidic with no hints of other Belgian properties.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Not very drinkable. Too bitter and unpleasantly rawly sour. Medium bodied. Just unpleasant.

Jesse13713, Feb 26, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -39.4%

Thanks to Jesse13713 for sharing this one with me, saving me around two dollars and six ounces of room in my stomach.

A: Cloudy, basically opaque golden-amber-butterscotch. Half finger of white head that is gone as quickly as it appeared; maybe quicker than the head on a soda.

S: Smells like corn on the cob, with hints of sweetness, tanginess, and barbecue (why?). Not too good at all.

T: Alright taste, considering the smell- a bit of tang comes into play but leaves just as quickly as it was introduced. Letting this sit in your mouth leaves you with a watery, nothing taste. Finish is unenjoyable and somewhat metallic.

M: Very thin for the style, goes down like water, which I suppose could be called 'smooth,' but why call this smooth when there are so many better beers that actually are smooth? No stickiness or thickness whatsoever.

D: Don't think I would want this again, especially for the style- quite unoriginal tasting and nothing making me want to pick it up again.

AwYeh, Feb 26, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -42.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks, Tick.

A: Pours a turbid goldenrod capped with off-white foam. The murkiness is a distinct turnoff; even a careful pour couldn't avoid it, so I don't think it's sediment.

S: Reminds of shoe polish and mildew at first. Apples, bananas, some spice (clove?).

T: An overall muted flavor. I picked up some mild fruitiness: bananas, apples, orange rind. Yeast and spice in the finish. There's an odd shoe polish note in the exhalation.

M: Falls quickly off the tongue, with a watery finish.

D: Not my style. No one bothered with more than a small sip.

Arbitrator, Feb 12, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks go out to Tifore
for this beer!

A- Poured a murky coppery color. One finger tan head shows medium retention. Longer streaks of lace on the glass.

S- Tons of fruit in the front of the aroma. Apples and banana are the two dominate fruits. Light yeasty notes with a stale almost mildew like presence. This works for the beer making it seem more Belgian if that makes sense. Hints of grains and a touch of alcohol balance everything out in the nose.

T- Apple, pears, and a bready malt base comes out in the front. Also, in the middle more of the musty yeasty tastes come out to play for a second before giving way to a bready malty ending. No real hops at all in this brew. I don't know what to think as it kind of leaves the beer a little unfinished.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for style. Light fruits and bready malts left on the palate. More malts and light alcohol left in the aftertaste. Medium drying on the palate from the alcohol. No real off flavors although everything kind of seemed muted. Flavors were blending but not to the style I see it is put in as.

D- I didn't find this one bad at all just missing a little something. Like a backend and that's about it from making this a above average beer. Nice easy drinker other than that...nothing over the top but nothing that makes this beer bland as well.

alleykatking, Jan 12, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, which is indeed indigo.

Pours an opaque brown. Smell is citrusy, clovey, and pungent. Right up my alley there. Tastes sour, with some fine Belgian yeast and herbal flavors coming to the forefront. Finishes dryer and smooth. Feels medium-bodied. Very cloying yet good beer.

sixerofelixir, Dec 29, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +22.1%

10/04/10- Had a 12 oz bottle of this.
A: Hazy amber honey milk; it poured with a small head that turned into a VERY small collar.
S: Orange pulp, milky caramel toasted bread.
T: Lemon finish, spicy (almost like pumpkin pie) caramel and orange peel. Nicely refreshing.
M: Syrupy, spritzy, only OK.
D: Really good.

In my experience, Indigo Imp is hit-and-miss from bottle to bottl. Their better stuff is always the soured bottles.

ne0m00re, Nov 08, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A - pours with a short lived inch of loose, light tan foam, settling to a thin film. the beer is mostly clear, light copper in color with active bubbling.

S - bright and yeasty, with some fruity apples and banana. slight mildewy mustiness carries throughout, with some slightly cooked veggies and grains.

T - some flashes of fruit, red apples, pear, and some over-ripened banana. chiming in after that is some yeast, complete with phenols. complete lack of hops leave this unfinished at the end.

M - thin body, with a little below average level of carbonation. extremely odd and sticky after the swallow, and a bit unpleasant.

D - drinkable, bordering unpleasant. held back severely by an awkward, sticky and irritating mouthfeel. not much good to pull out of this.

Stigs, Oct 13, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -45.3%

On tap in a pint glass at Hal & Al's on 9/10/10

Unfiltered. Cloudy tangerine, pineapple juice highlights. Very murky. Poured no head. No lace.

The aroma is a weird cluster of bland, past-prime fruit - banana, apple, pear & hints of orange. A touch of Belgian style yeast, though lacking spiciness.

The taste isn't quite a bland, but is by no means good. Tart apple notes & some banana. Hints of hops. Slightly more spicy. Finishes kind of medicinal. Tastes as murky as it looks.

Medium body. Carbonation is moderate but not enough to augment the mild spices. Rotting fruit esters linger beyond the finish.

Certainly the shaker pint didn't help, but I doubt a tulip would cure what ails this beer. It's just not enjoyable at all. Indigo Imp is going to have to step up their game to hang in Cleveland.

Ryan011235, Oct 06, 2010

On tap at Hal and Al's. The bartender said they were the first bar to get Indigo Imp stuff outside of Cleveland.

A- Served filled up all the way to the rim of my pint glass. No head. The been is a cloudy, dirty yellow- almost orange.

S- Spices like coriander and orange peel. Belgian style yeasts and fruity malts.

T- Pretty standard here except for the tart, almost sour taste to the finish. I was guessing this was a witbier that has a higher ABV.

Not too impressed with Indigo Imp, but this was the better one of the few that Ive tried.

MbpBugeye, Sep 28, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -29.1%

I read about this brewery last year but never gave it another thought until I found them at my local and thought I'd give them a go. Reviews of this pale have not been kind, and judging by the sour smell coming the pour, I have a feeling...

I wouldn't even say the smell is like sour wine, but more like olive oil. I looked for a born on date, with none to be found. A bit of the grain used and a hint of hops.

Looks the standard orange to amber, little head and little lace. There was a good bit of carbonation which kept the slightlace alive.

Mouth :DAH! WHAT IS THIS? My honest reaction as i puckered from the sour but it is slightly creamy and goes down like water.

Okay. I'll be objectionable as possible. I don't know if this could be called a Pale Ale, but it reminds me of some low end pales I've tried at a BA. Totally lemon, sour with a hit of hops but the sour isn't like a lemon head sour, but a "turned beer" sour. There is a mid note of some sort of pale ale, but then the olive oil taste comes through.

Sorry, it's a drain pour for me. Bad batch perhaps, but seeing the reviews before me. I'll let this stand.

Ricochet, Aug 31, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a copper-orange color with substantial yeast haze. Three fingers of cream colored head provided the best rating component of this beer (appearance).

S: Malt and ripe fruit.

T: Sweet malt then sour after-taste. Not very complex or desirable. The acidic after-taste became more pronounced as I drank and ultimately required me to "force down" the last few sips since it was my first beer of the evening.

M: Full and rich on the palate with lively carbonation.

D: Not very, unless you don't mind a beer with a sour after-taste.

ABOWMan, Aug 02, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured orange with no head. Had a somewhat barnyard experience while drinking it, but it was expected and nice. The alcohol isn't hidden very well, I didn't know what the ABV is while drinking it, but it defiantly wasn't masked well at all. I could drink this again but probably wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

tlazaroff, Jul 31, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle served in shaker pint.

A: Pours a deep, murky, dirty gold. Not much different than a blended Arnold Palmer. Head is small and after a very short time it has completely disappeared. This one is not off to a good start.

S: Initially smells of a very weak version of weizen yeast. Some fruity, estery aromas are hanging around as well. Maybe a slight lactic sourness is lingering in the background. Meh.

T: This one is kinda messy. Very bland up front, pale malt and not much else. Followed up with some cidery flavors. Finishes with a vague sweet and sour note. Aftertaste is mildly sour, but not pleasantly so.

M: Undercarbonated. Weak mouthfeel. Has a slightly chalky feel in the finish.

D: Very low. I'm considering a drainpour, which is something I NEVER do. It's not that it's disgusting or undrinkable, I just find it completely boring. I feel like I'm wasting my time by drinking this beer.

I appreciate that fact that this brewery uses some open fermentation in an attempt to create unique beers. Unfortuneatly, it doesn't really work out in the final product. Since this is a (semi)local brewery I hope that they get it all sorted out. Hopefully the the bottle of porter I have from Indigo Imp is better than this offering.

AdamGarcia, Jul 14, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a stemmed pilsener glass. Exceptionally hazy golden honey in color. No head -- given the bottle-conditioning, I poured it off very slowly to minimize particulate in the glass.

The scent is all citrus -- a little sharp and stingy in one whiff, then a little sweet in the next. There is a bready malt backbone to this, which is probably where the sweetness is coming from. Banana bread! That's it!

Vinegar-like sourness or spiciness, typical of some Belgian brews, overcomes the mouth. This does a lot of work to counteract the fruit flavors that were so present in the nose. The malts and hops seem well-balanced, but again, these also take a backseat to the the strong flavors imparted by the yeast. Despite the slight disparity in style, this really reminded me of Sly Fox's Chester County Bitter, if you're familiar.

This might be one to age in the basement. Conveniently, Indigo Imp dips the cap of one bottle in each six pack in some thick wax (a la Maker's Mark), which I suppose serves no real purpose, but for some reason it seems proper to age it. A bit of maturation might counteract some of the strong yeastiness.

On another note, Indigo Imp could really use a new graphic designer.

zhooker, Jun 13, 2010

Pours a hazy hue, almost like strawberry blonde. Scents of very yeasty esthers and lemon, maybe rind. Flavors are a bit off. Too yeasty of a taste, maybe could be a bit more mellow..with age. Pretty easy to drink. Very fruity and overwhelming. Not bad but not great either.

bigdeuce, May 10, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Originally reviewed 4/17.

A- Pours an orange/amber with a white head.

S-Smells of coriander and belgian yeast. Going into this one, I expeced more of an APA as it said nowhere on the bottle anything about it being stylistically Belgian.

T-Tastes predominantly of Belgian yeast with some slight sourness.

M-Medium bodied and pretty effervescent.

D-Pretty drinkable but not at all what I was expecting.

samie85, Apr 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +46%

What can I say I've had the Blonde Bombshell and this one so far and I like these funky sours. These aren't the most refined versions, rustic Cleveland open fermentation with water from the filtered Cuyahoga? I don't what their water source is but this Belgian style funk pale ale is a hazy unfiltered copper orange hue with a white bright head that dwindles pretty damn quick. Minimal scattered lacing, nose has a nice banana bread yeast note with hints of spice and mild citrus notes. Something gives off a lactic creamy yogurt sensation. Flavor is sour makes you pucker enough but nothing that drys the throat leaves a bit of dryness in the finish. Fruity with citrus and banana mild clove and spicy tones, a bit of a solvent chemical touch as the sour apple and lemon citrus flavors peak but it blends in without much harshness. Again the creamy lactic notes brings out hints of citrus fruit and greek yogurt blended. Mouthfeel is medium bodied not cloying just a bit sour with a dry presence after each sip, I could see the acidity bother the faint at heart or the GERD suffering community a bit. Drinkability is good, I'm actually able to gulp this sour ale and enjoy the flavors or I could slowly sip and really analyze the complexity from the open fermentation, I'm a fan.

WVbeergeek, Mar 25, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +4.8%

A-good looking golden amber color, very hazy in transparency. The head is thin and bubbly, an aggressive pour gives off little foam that dissipates immediately and leaves no lacing on the glass

S-big nose of belgian yeast, cloves, hints of banana, lemon, and a touch of peppery spice.

T-the taste follows the nose, big on the yeasty cloviness, lots of sour lemon, a touch of banana, and some belgian spice

M-very smooth and creamy, a little thinner and watered down, a high level of carbonation but not too much

D-very sour and spicy, the mix is ok, the body is good imo. Not something I'm too interested in though.

cpetrone84, Feb 21, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -48.8%

This one poured a hazy yellow orange with a 1/2" head that left a thin ring of bubbles around the edge. The smell is cotton candy, bubblegum, light sweet fruits, and a slight hint of some sour lemon. The taste is actual really bad. There is a strong mouth puckering sour lemon flavor that dominates everything. The sweetness tries to come through but is beaten back by the sourness. There is no carbonation at all in the feel of this one and it is very thin and watery. The drinkability is horrible and this was a very rare drainpour for me. I really wanted to like this but I guess my wife is still the only good thing to come out of Ohio.

CrazyMacHarris99, Feb 04, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle purchased in Kent OH, first time I've seen it in a store. I was kind of excited to try a new OH brewery but this beer wasn't all I'd hoped. First off, the appearance was marred by absolutely NO HEAD. I could see bubbles and some carbonation inside the hazy translucent gold body but nothing on top. The aroma seems Belgian, lightly hoppy and a good amount of esters. The taste was OK I guess, some bubblegum and a little bit of Unibroue yeast profile, kind of hits the mark. The body is thick and lightly carbonated, probably too thick for the style and a bit of a chore to drink. I'll pass on it in the future.

TurdFurgison, Oct 17, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Hue of amber brown with a rather weak head. No retention or lace at all.

S: Spicy aroma with hints of corn, lemon, and yeast, and plastic.

T: Plastic. This one has a strange sour lemon, subtle sweetness going on. Hints of Belgian spice and more plastic. It's all over the place, in a not so good way.

M: Light in body, lacking carbonation.

D: Not really.

tpd975, Aug 30, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -21.1%

I am a native (and old) Clevelander, but still I passed on this the first couple times I saw this. I guess I should have kept passing. Hopefully this brand will pass too.

There isn't much to like with this one. I will be careful to not pour ANY of the sediment on the next one, as it obviously imparts a nasty bad-homebrew type taste. Often I relish some tasty yeast sediment, but not here. This one is not so good.

It reminds me of the bottom of your fridge - that rotted unindentifiable stuff with a sweet smell. I will wait until I have had a few to drink the rest of these and avoid this brand in the future.

Edit 2-17-2012. I met a nice young man that works at this brewery today and looking at this review I realize I was EXTREMELY harsh. I'm sorry, Cory. I am trying Dragon Stout and I may try others. Bob

schoolboy, Jul 25, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Strong apricot rotten fruit smell with belgium yeast. not very pleasant.

poured a orange lightly carbonated hazy appearance with a head that vanished almost instantly.

The taste is probably its saving grace. Not bad. Not really a pale ale. More like a belgium-pale hybrid.

Overall, the aroma was very funky. The head was dismal. The taste and drinkability was good when cold, but after about 10 minutes of sitting and acclimating to a warmer temperature, the taste did get a little sour. This would be a good beer on a nice hot day in the summer to quench thirst. I will not buy it again.

Norsebrew, May 30, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +23.9%

Bottle poured into snifter

A: hazy gold orange color, no head what so ever

S: light malt aroma, nice belgian yeast aroma

T: light buttery malt, little bitterness. Slightly watery, but ok none the less. A lot better than I was expecting

M&d: light bodied, nice amount of carbonation. Certainly fits the belgian pale style well

Cheers!!!

UDbeernut, May 10, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +27.3%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail clean, clear pint glass. $1.50 single bottle at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio.

A Orange brown glowing body and almost no head whatsoever. I do remember a brief head but after 30 seconds it is completely gone and I was trying to pour a head. Nice unfiltered yeasty body with sediment observable. No lacing.

S Belgian like malt and yeast, maybe some hops? It is not unlike a Belgian Dubbel but it is watered down. Inviting smell albeit a bit weak. I had to smell 3 times to get this information from this beer.

T A nice Belgian Dubbel like taste that reminds me a lot of Willoughby Brewing Company's Abbey Road Dubbel. I think that this is certainly more Belgian than it is Pale Ale. I do not taste much hops which I thought was a key aspect of a Pale Ale. Like the Blonde Bombshell that I tasted and rated earlier tonight, this beer is fairly simple in its taste, not changing much at all from first sip through to the aftertaste. I will make an educated guess and say that the ABV is likely about 7.0%

M Little to no carbonation. This has the feel of a thick, alcoholic punch.

D Good. I could have many of these.

Notes: A bit simplistic in its taste spectrum, this is a welcome taste to the Cleveland market and certainly the national market. I would not be surprised to see excellent things coming from Indigo Imp in the future. Great start guys!

adamette, May 08, 2009