Red Fox - Joseph James Brewing Inc.

Red FoxRed Fox

good

Joseph James Brewing Inc. visit their website
Nevada, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: JBogan on 01-28-2009

Russian Imperial Stout brewed with chocolate and roasted barley malts. This beer has essences of chocolate and roasted coffee and compliments many desserts. This heavy bodied beer is 9.3% ABV, 80 IBU's and is best enjoyed at 55°F-60°F.
to view more.
Ratings: 114 | Reviews: 47
Reviews by xnicknj:
3.53/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was kind of surprised to see this brewery's beers in Texas. This is my first beer from Nevada. Only a few more states to go.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The beer features a tan head. The aroma is chocolate and heavily roasted malt. The flavor is tobacco, leather, toffee and roasted malts. The beer is a bit astringent. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours an opaque black body with a thin wisp of deep tan head with only a few tiny bubbles visible stuck to the base of the glass.

S- The earthy roasted black malt takes on a berry quality in the finish. It is dark and rich but not a lot of depth.

T- The smooth clean flavor of fruity ester note to a roasted black malt flavor is very mellow. There is a blueberry note that grows in the black malt as it does in the smell. There is a mellow chocolate note in the finish as the beer warms and a soft tang and a coffee roasted inky hint aswell.

M- The light mouthfeel has fizzy texture but no real alcohol heat until the last few sips.

O- The smooth roasted black malt has a lagered quality to it with the fruity berry flavors growing stronger while the black malt gets overpowered a bit.

4.23/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The Red Fox is a surprisingly decent Imperial Russian Stout. A definite winter warmer. The beer pours a opaque dark in my sniffer glass. A lucious tan head forms when I swirl the glass but quickly thins leaving some lace on the glass. The smell has an alcohol roasty flare which makes one want to continue to sniff let alone drink. The caramel/chocolate malt start this beer then some nice bittering hops help it finish. The full body helps the taste linger on the pallete making it a joy to taste another sip. Overall I am really impressed with this stout....especially coming from a place of perpetual heat such as Nevada.

1.54/5  rDev -56.1%

Just terrible. Had on tap at Pub in the Monte Carlo because I saw that it was a local brewer.

Pour appears deep, dark black color, which is good and all. However, the head on the beer looks suspect. This is weird for me, but it looks kinda sickly... and it's kinda tough to put my finger on it. Large soapy bubbles on a one-inch tan head.

Aroma is okay, actually. Roasted coffee, chocolately, a little boozy - boozier than I would have expected considering that it's only a 9% impy stout. Pretty standard, nothing exciting here.

You know that fear you had as a child? For some it was monsters under the bed, for others it was the dark, for people like my brother it was going down escalators. Me, personally, I had a problem with clowns. I did not like clowns. Still don't, truth be told, but I remember it was a bigger problem for me back then. And that's what this beer tastes like - my childhood fear of clowns in beer form. Actually, if you picture John Wayne Gacy in his clown makeup and no pants, sitting at his breakfast table with a cup of coffee from a three day-old pot of Folgers, through the eyes of a terrified child, and can imagine what that image tastes like - that is this. Just awful, one of the worst tasting beers I've ever had. Burned coffee, burned malt, medicinal flavors, tar, alcohol, and chalky, poor-quality chocolate. Ugh. Holy shit, this just lingers on my tongue and the back of my throat. This beer saddens me.

Mouthfeel doesn't help this beers' cause. I just don't want to talk about this anymore, it's making me sad and afraid.

Drinkability. Ha. The only reason I had a second sip was to verify that I wasn't crazy and that this beer is really that terrible. Sent it back and got an IPA to cleanse this off my palate.

Just awful. My avatar is appropriate for this one.

3.19/5  rDev -9.1%

Received a bomber from Destral as an extra in a recent trade.

Midnight black motor oil poured with a 3/4 inch milk chocolate head quickly becomes something a bit more mundane. The head quickly collapses under the alcohol and leaves the partaker with no parting gifts. No lacing and, sorry fellows, this baby's got no legs.

Roasted barley takes the lead of the bouquet followed by dark chocolate and a healthy malty sweetness. Nuances of espresso and coffee beans are present but alcohol is, remarkably, unnoticeable. A very simple aroma, all in all, that strikes me as unimposing. In an RIS, I honestly want my nose to be bitch slapped with complexity. Flavor doesn't even do as well as smell unfortunately... Roasted barley mirrors in the flavor but then comes a touch of tannin astringency that grows. Hop bitterness and solid roast attempt to cover up shortcomings but the aftertaste is solidly astringent with a touch of metallic. If drinking the whole bottle, one might be able to forget about these off-flavors after about 18 ounces.

A super creamy mouthfeel is definitely present but taken away from by the taste. Very light in the body for the style but it is in this that one can find a bit of silkiness that adds a level of pleasantness.

I believe that this beer could have definite potential with a bit more QA at this brewery. The basics are all there for a great beer. Unfortunately, this bottle had its flaws.

3.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured to a snifter.
Pours a dark black, tan two finger head that leaves nice lacing.
Sweet aroma, dark fruit, a little roast. Dry in flavor compared to nose, nice roasty malt, not as much of the dark fruit i was expecting after the nose, strange metallic finish. Fairly light body for a stout but easy to drink.
Overall a nice beer to try but nothing to write home about.

2.85/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on November 30, 2013.

This is a beer that begins nice but ends badly. That would be my entire review but we have to have so many characters to post on Beer Advocate.

It is a very attractive looking dark brown to black pour with a long lasting tan head.

The aroma is full of chocolate malts more than anything else. I get little in the way of other malts or hops but I get plenty of chocolate.

The body is light to medium.

But the taste. Eww! Maybe I got a really bad bottle but all I'm getting is vinegar. Some chocolate but mainly vinegar. I rarely pour beers down the drain but this one may be destined for that finale.

4.31/5  rDev +22.8%

Thanks to my BA friend alexgrahamlv for the trade! Vegas Baby....Vegas!

A- Pours a motor oil color, that is relatively clear and clean looking. Very nice caramel colored foam head a couple of inches thick forms, and slowly recedes into a thick film, just like a stout should. There appears to be some fine columns of carbonation rising to the top. Lacing is excellent with soapy strings of foam clinging to my glass. Great start!

S- Stronger than average stout aromas...cocoa powder, black coffee and burnt toast dominate the profile here. There is a soft peanut butter toast like aroma in the background as well. The finish does have some muted hop cones....they come across soft however, which is fine by me.

T- More of the same....just on the palate now! The black coffee is a little more pronounced than the dark chocolate/cocoa but it is still very nice. The roasted malt aspect is also more noticeable....as this warms up, the chocolate shows itself more. There is also a certain fruitiness in the flavor which I can't quite put my finger on. The finish is softly bitter, but more roasted and dry than anything. Surprisingly, the alcohol is very well hidden, which I wasn't expecting at all.

M- I wouldn't call this full bodied, but closer to medium....this is the only area that disappoints a bit, as there is a watery note right at the swallow that seems to wash the flavor away within seconds afterward. Aside from this, the carbonation is mellow and easy going.

O- Overall, this is a very nice example of a stong Stout. It has good, but short lived flavor, isn't fiery with booze, and provides an easy drinking experience. I wouldn't mind enjoying this with a meal or dessert, such as Black Forest cake. Reminds me of a stronger Irish Stout that isn't Guinness....

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

A surprisingly wonderful offering from my beer of the month club. Pours a deep reddish-brown with a thick tan head that leaves a wonderful lacing. Delicious coffee aroma with hints of chocolate. Flavor follows smell, bold coffee tones that deceptively hide the alcohol in this beer. Very smooth and pleasant mouthfeel, just the right amount of carb. I could easily see myself drinking a few of these, very nice!

4.37/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This was good, but less intense than most imperial stouts.

2.67/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.5

I dont regularly review anymore, but this terrible crap compelled me to bitch to you all about just that. The appearance is all there, along with the mouth feel, lacing, etc, but the rest is garbage...make mocha with old grinds, mix it with sherry and cheap chocolate wine, and boom, wuts happenin? Oh yea, your taste buds are crying and u wish u could puke yet onset alcoholism prevents u...shucks, me too. Going from Clown Shoes HOTH to this shit should have a warning. Fml

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

You cannot just wish a beer to be good, and this beer is just exactly that, good. My experience with this dark Russian Imperial Stout style is limited but growing. The style requires some extra pizaaz in order to be considered above average. As much as I would wish Red Fox had pizaaz, it does not. Mostly you will experience a good try, but not a good result. The dark malty, caramel flavors do not linger, but the high 9% ABV does, and in my opinion that is not a good thing. The head pours a finger, but immediately disappears. To me that is a result of alcohol, and thus the limited smell and taste. Put simply, they never get out of the bottle and into the glass. In my judgement this is an also ran beer from a local Las Vegas brewery, like I said, I wish it were better.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

A: A pitch black color with a thin brown soapy head.

S: smells like a mixture of chocolate, coffee, and maple syrup.

T: Some nice chocolate flavor in the beginning. The chocolate rolls into a burnt coffee flavor that is a little bit on the sweet side. There is a very slight medicinal tinge to the beer. The finish is a little warm and spicy from the alcohol but the alcohol flavor is well hidden behind the other flavors.

M: Medium carbonation, makes it creamy and smooth. The alcohol gives it a nice spice on the tongue.

D: This is a pretty good RIS. There is a sweeter edge to this than most Imperial Stouts. It is a very drinkable beer.

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Color: dark and opaque. Head: reddish. Surprisingly little froth. Carbonated tingle.
Dry, liquor-like body heat after of first sip. Gets sweeter and smoother as you go. Pairs well with steak. For dessert try strawberries, cool-whip, and dessert cups. Drink slow: high ABV.

2.74/5  rDev -21.9%

I want to start by saying that I love that a local brewery is bottle beers, great for Vegas! But...once again I'm not too impressed. I dont think I ever got over the initial pour. Poured into Duvel tulip glass with zero head and retention. Smell was of some chocolate, coffee, malt but all very watered down it seemed like. Taste was a little bland, better warmer (as is expected with this style) but still nothing too dominant. Some chocolate, some coffee, toasted grain, vanilla, alcohol, but nothing stuck out. Mouthfeel was a little thin for the style. I cant complain too much cause the bomber was on $2.99. And I will say the ABV is very well hidden, just needed a little more "umph" to it.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a one finger light tan head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Baked chocolate nose and flavor is baked to burnt chocolate with hints of molasses. Burnt chocolate finish. On-tap, $8.00 for a 16oz glass from Central @ Caesar's Palace Las Vegas, NV.

Flavor from bottle is more molasses and baked chocolate - 12oz bottle from Gift Specialists Oceanside, California.

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

Red Fox pours dark brown, next to black. Head is modest Caucasian tan.

Nose isn't as powerful as I was anticipating, smooth nonetheless. Vanilla, chocolate, dark roasted nuts and a bit of coffee-like bitterness. Some banana esters are evident as well.

The flavor is where this one hits. The warmth of alcohol (9% ABV) chimes in with other notes of roasted almond, dark chocolate, and a lingering dry roasted coffee finish.

Body is medium, thinner than expected. However it's creamy and slick as it fades to a dry finish. Carbonation is just enough to keep it lively in the mouth. It's not overly filling either, great tasting drinkable stout.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

Ok this one is the latest from Joseph james...
This was the best one yet poured a nice dark brown to black color, nice for the style, a little thin on the body but it is still thick enough to be a good RIS. The flavor was great, nice hints of Coffee,caramel,anise,and notes of chocolate none of which were overbearing or too pronounced, which makes it a winner in my book...

3.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I feel I should be listening to the Sanford and Son theme on a loop whilst drinking this... It pours a deep black-brown topped by a finger of dark-ish tan foam. The nose comprises darkly-roasted malts, nail polish remover, and some dark coffee. The taste brings in more of the same, toning down the nail polish remover a bit and adding some chocolate syrup. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and an ever-so-slightly chewy feel. Overall, this stout really ain't all that bad, but it is far from great. I could drink this...

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: black in color with a short 1/4" dark tan colored head that falls apart quickly.

Smell: roasted malts with softer chocolate and coffee tones. Alcohol is noticeable.

Taste: roasted malt, dark chocolate, prunes, and some coffee tones arrive late. Bitterness is moderate, but alcohol is very strong here.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied as this is a bit thinner than expected. Light prickly start with a smooth and long lasting finish. Alcohol burn lingers a bit.

Overall: this one was a bit too strong on the alcohol presence. Definite slow sipping beer but one is more than enough in a session.

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

I have had this both on tap at a beer tasting event and bottled. On tap, it was a great beer, the head was a little week, but the taste was spot on for what you would expect from a small batch RIS (carmel, coffee, touch of vanilla) The smell was almost all coffee. Mouth feel is not what I expected from a Russian Imperial, but still pretty good.

In the bottle, this beer goes way down hill. Sadly the bottling process is not the strong point of the brewer. If you can get on tap, it is worth it, if not, I say pass on it.

3.26/5  rDev -7.1%

635th review on BA
Bottle to snifter
22oz

App- a very dark brown bordering on black at the pour. A garnet edged color as it settles in the glass. A big two finger head gives way to maybe 1/8" ring of bubbles as the beer falls. No leg, no stick.

Smell- When you first pour and smell its much more alive on the nose. The roast and coffee notes are pronouced with a splash of hops. As it settles and warms its very much A bit of ethanol alcohol on the nose.

Taste- Almost follows the nose to the T but just fades even more. The roast and coffee seem to have faded altogether and are replaced with almost a straight ethanol blast on the tounge.

Mouth- medium bodied and medium carbonated. The roast and hops stay.

Drink- Had to bring home some local brews from LV and have so far not been too pleased. Over the top malt bomb IPAs and now a fast fading stout with too big an ethanol flavor.

I felt it necessary to review this beer jus to warn people of the massive head I got when pouring this....I got an overflow after pouring roughly half the bottle, so be careful when pouring this.

Overall this Imperial stout is pretty good. Pours a dark mocha, almost black, with a nice fluffy tan head. Smell is dark malt, not sure which malts exactly but very inviting with an almost tangy characteristic to it. Taste is smooth dark malt, small alcohol burn on the back end, chocolate on the finish with a very nice aftertaste. May be a bit overcarbed but doesnt detract from the beer. Good body on this one. Overall I am pleased with this beer, nothing mindblowing but I would definitely buy it again.

3.16/5  rDev -10%

22 fl oz brown glass bottle served into a Uinta pilsner glass. Thanks to me gaffmate Andrew for the bottle; he tried it and thought it was bollocks so he gifted it to me. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger rich tan colour head of nice thickness and cream, and good retention for the high ABV. Colour is a solid nontransparent black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Lacing is average. Looks pretty good. Right on the money for the style.

Sm: Roasted barley (me favourite), chocolate malt, caramel, and dark malts. An average strength aroma. Smells a bit sweeter than it ought to.

T: Middling roast, over-caramelization, badly handled chocolate malts, and a dark malt foundation. Quite simple for the style. Too sweet, almost evoking brown sugar. No subtlety at all. Not complex. No yeast or alcohol comes through - a decent achievement at this high an ABV. There's just so little going on here. If you're going to attempt this style, you've got to bring more to the table. Far too sweet. My housemate described it as a bit cough syrupy. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do get a sort of artifical dark cherry sweetness that really doesn't help the balance.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Wrong for the style, outright. Especially too wet on the finish. A good stout drys and coarsens on the finish to make you crave the next sip. This is not that. Not creamy enough. Decent thickness, but a touch syrupy. Doesn't feel tailored to the flavours. Carbonation is good.

Dr: Drinkable for the high ABV; that's its strong suit. But it's very bland for the style. This will definitely get lost in the mix. With every brewer and their mother trying this style, you just have to do more. Specialize your flavours: barrel age, use vanilla bean, add cacao, do something. Don't do this.

C+

2.74/5  rDev -21.9%

12oz bottle into Duvel Green tulip. Thanks for this one Rizalini.

A: Pours near black with a thick, bubbly, dark tan head that slowly faded into a thick fuzzy film.
S: I get rich notes of chocolate, roasted malt, toasted marshmallows with a hint of dark fruits.
T: Roasted flavors dominate. The chocolate is there as well alongside a bit of char. The finish is lightly fruity with flavors of prunes and raisins, and the aftertaste is bitter, smoky, and lightly alcoholic.
M: Ample, fizzy carbonation – a bit too much. Body is a bit too light as well, and the mouthfeel is spritzy and a little rough around the edges.
O: Not terrible but needs some work. The carbonation is distracting, and the flavors are thin and burnt.

to view more.
Red Fox from Joseph James Brewing Inc.