Chapeau Banana Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-08-2002

4.77/5  rDev +50.5%

I have a bit different perspective than some others on here...

Poured in to a stange a yellowish color with a fluffy white head that lasted for a bit and left a nice lacing.

Smell was of bananas (yes real ones) that were soured. It's an interesting thing to smell being that bananas don't sour but that's the only way I can describe it. Taste was the same, sour bananas. It was also absolutely delicious. I got this at Stubbie's in Gainesville after being intrigued by seeing it on their menu and decided to suck it up and go for it. Everyone who tasted it also bought one, it was really that good.

Mouthfeel was excellent for the style and had a clean acidic finish. I love lambics and can drink them all the time, this was a perfect example of a great one.

4.69/5  rDev +47.9%

One of the most interesting beers I have tasted...

Pours a pale golden yellow with a very bubbly, foamy short head. Good carbonation. Nose is immediately bananas, real bananas, not some crappy sugary fake smell. Smells sweet. Taste IS sweet. However, not syrupy like most lambics. Very banana-y, very nice, very REAL. Again, not fake imho and I'm pretty anal about drinking real flavors. This was a pleasant surprise I was not expecting and it exceeded my expectations (which is quite hard to do). Excellent, if you like bananas.

4.55/5  rDev +43.5%

Served in a stange.

As expected from a Lambic, no head developed. Against the glass some bubbles have formed and there’s a very thin white layer on top of the beer.
The colour is a faint see-through yellow with a reasonable amount of carbonation for this genre.
The scent gives sour bananas.
Taste is very refreshing. The sourness is brought in balance by the full and slightly sweet banana taste.
As time passes these two seemingly hostile tastes merge into a strange sour and dry sensation. Strange, but tasty. It lingers on.

I can understand that this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But I’m sold!

4.44/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Lot's o' little carb bubbles rise up and disappear in this orange colored brew. No head after the original pour. The main scent is that sour lambic nose, banana as well. Mmmm. Very sweet tasting. Seems like there are more flavors in play than just the banana. Sourness is there but not as pronounced as the others in this style that i've had. Thin to medium mouth, somewhat acidic. Overall dank-a-lank.

4.42/5  rDev +39.4%

My take on banana is the exact opposite of BuckeyeNation's (please see his review): I pretty much dislike anything banana-flavored (artificial or natural), but love the fruit itself.

So I was extremely surprised to find how delicious this particular Lambic is, even if many don't consider Chapeau up there with Cantillon. But so what...I've had this three times now, and with this bottle I'm just as impressed with it as the previous times.

It pours a thin head, but leaves nice small swirls of lace as the liquid disappears (and that all too quickly). Color is of a pear/peach breakfast juice. A hazy, hypnotic gold with what appear to be pulp floaters meshing nicely with the mellow carbonation. I suppose the sediment is a banana/yeast mixture(?).

Aroma is clearly banana, but not in that acidic way you might experience artifically banana-flavored drinks or candies. This is the smell of slightly overripe real bananas...the presence of malt and especially yeast funk makes for a complex aroma.

And the taste: It's a total breakfast beer. (And I was honored to share one for breakfast with my brother Nick in Belgium last September.) I'm tasting what I'm smelling, mostly bananas, with a malt/yeast combo in the background. And it's ultra-creamy. The mouthfeel is like velvet melting on the tongue. Nice and round, luxuriously smooth...I'm in love. It's sweet, but not overly so, but interestingly whenever I ask people about this one, they wrinkle their face and say "too sweet!" Diff'rent strokes, they say...

Don't let anyone call this a girlie beer. I, a full-blooded American male, will always have time and tastebuds for this particular beer.

4.3/5  rDev +35.6%

It looks like I'm going to go against many previous posts and say I actually like this beer. An appealing clear golden yellow, with a small head that dissipated fairly quickly. As it was passed around the table, some noses were upturned at what to me was what a lambic's nose should have - dryness, mustiness, wet wool, When tasted at service temperature, the flavors were muted (of banana of course) were muted, but once allowed to warm, the taste got richer and fuller - definitely tangier too. While I'm not sure I could have many due to the sweetness, it is a very enjoyable drink, esp for warmer climes/seasons. Well worth a try.

4.22/5  rDev +33.1%

In the glass, it looks like a BMC, with a slightly darker colour.. Head is large and tight, and quickly reduces to half original size.. No sign of bubbles rising in the glass.

Smell is light and airy, with hints of spice and banana, and on odd green apple overtone. (Are we sure we're not in Ephemere land?) There's even a slight hint of olive in the aroma.

The banana flavour hits right up front with a definite lambic context- more lambic than banana. There are hints of mango and papaya deep in the flavour. It's more pungent than I expected, but pleasantly so.

Very little carbonation right up front- andthe body is slightly thicker than on some lambics I've had in the past.

I find thei one very drinkable, if you're in the mood for this sort of thing. It's a bit sweeter than some lambics, but again, not unpleasantly so. This one was better than I thought it would be.

Be well

4.17/5  rDev +31.5%

Pours a light amber color with a tall head and nice retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma has tons of bananas with a little bit of spice and a little bit of funk. The flavor is very interesting. Tons of banana flavors with just a hint of funkiness. Lots of creamyness with the banana. The mouthfeel on this one is moderate to thick and the drinkability is really good. It seems that most people really don't like this beer, but I love the banana flavors and think this is a very good shot at something new to most people. There are a few things that could be improved, but I really think this is an interesting and an on-the-edge brew.

4.14/5  rDev +30.6%

Color is of strow with a hazy gold hue. Head is an off-white thick dinse fuzz that was an inch thick. Nose is a zesty taffy banana smell. There is a hint of cork (maybe oak) on the nose also, even a bit woodsy in the back round. On first sip I had to sit back and say wow, I wasnt expecting it to be that sweet. It isnt in a bad way though. It is almost syrup sweet with strong notes of banana glaze on the mouth. Easy to drink. Really nothing not to like about this beer unless your not a fan of bananas or sweet.

4.12/5  rDev +30%

Chapeau's fruited lambics are in the sweet i.e. less-traditional style and the Banana is no exception. If you are looking for the Cantillon style of geuze lambics in the traitional style - this isn't for you. I generally prefer the complex and sour lambics but there is something special about the Chapeau products I really enjoy.

Like most lambics - the joy starts before the first drop hits the glass as the smell fills the room when the cork is popped. This smells fantastic - perfectly ripe bananas fill the room and if you pay close attention you can pick up a little of the funk that the more traditional styles show more heavily. It doesn't have the more organic and body related smells that I appreciate in something like the Oud Beersel Kriek. There are no hops noticed by my nose and that's a good thing in lambic.

The appearance is a slightly cloudy light gold that isn't too far from pilsner-looking. The head dissapates after 5 minutes but a pretty stark white lacing clings to the edge of my St. Bernadus goblet. Maybe a tulip or tumbler would be better suited to hold this beer but my goblet feeds me the stink just fine and the open bowl lets the beer warm nicely.

The first sip is cloying and almost unpleasant. This is a very sweet lambic. Subsequent tastes allow the sweetness to calm slightly as the slight lambic sour brings the beer forward on your tongue. What a cool mouthfeel - but it doesn't pucker your cheeks like the traditional style lambics. This is much like a Faro in that it's very sweet with low carbonation and just tart enough to keep you engaged. This is probably best served as an apertif but I can't see it hurting spicy Thai or any such food that balances sweet with sour and hot. I'm down with the liquid banana.

This is easily drinkable as a sweet beer, a distraction, a variation. I can't imagine more than one or two at a time but....on a early spring night with a light chill....this would be a great apertif. Some denounce sweet lambic as "girl" lambic but what's so bad about that? There's a place for this beer on my menu and I really appreciate this brewer's bold efforts in lambic. Lemon, frambois, X-mas geuze, yellow plum (mirabelle), exotic...I'll buy them all when I can find them.

4.07/5  rDev +28.4%

Pours a small hazy orange-ish color with a small white to no head. In the aroma, it smells of banana RUNTS. In the taste, a note of tartness, but it drinks like a mouthful of banana RUNTS. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry to sugary banana peel. Sugary and candy bananas, with a nice mellow and small tartness.

4.07/5  rDev +28.4%

A: Golden-yellow with only a little white head, but it leaves some lace.

S: Big banana aroma (a bit like those spongy banana candies) with noticable tartness as well.

T: There's plenty of sugar here, so it's not really tart at all. Pleasantly balanced and refreshing. The banana flavour is nice, and doesn't seem as artificial as the aroma.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation, dry finish.

D: Good introduction to the style (though it's not very representative, borders on a malternative flavour). Very drinkable.

Really nice beer. I think the ratings on this beer are lower than they should be because the beer has low alcohol. This beer is delicious and the banana flavor clearly reminds me of the banana Runts. It's not terribly artificial tasting but has that nice candy quality to it without being overly sweet.

12 oz champagne mini bottle, corked and capped.

Pours out bright pale straw and sits a light gold, tinted peach in the glass with a frothy white head being fed by a thick stream of bubbles. Head fades slowly to a light skim a few lacings fall around the glass.

Aroma is nice and musty with a thick oak presence. Chalky banana flesh mingles with a ligh, soured aroma of lemons, grapes and crab apples. Very mild leathery aroma, dry and dusty.

Tastes sugary sweet up front but is balanced off with an even sourness. I'm reminded of a particular flavor of Jelly Bellies, Butter Popcorn (one of my favorites), this just seems a little odd. Soft notes of bananas meld with sweetened fruity flavors of apples and grapes, holding bits of skin-induced sourness. Dry wooden flavors hide in the background, offering a bit of old-world, musky flavor. Finish holds on to the fruity sweetness, rather candylike sweetness and is partially dry, but lacking in depth.

Smooth yet crisp in the mouth, lightly effervescent. Quite easy to handle and a suitable feel for what it holds.

I couldn't have imagined this to taste any different. As far as getting a good banana flavor into a lambic, they've done quite well. I actually enjoyed this, maybe it's because of my sweet tooth, but I can't find much fault with it. I'll say that it lacks a lot in terms of the traditional lambic mustiness, but it has it's own place and is well made as a banana flavored beer. This would make for a great dessert beer.

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%

A hazy, yellow-gold body body rests lazily beneath a short head of bright white froth. The head retention is limited, but it somehow manages to retain a large-bubbled collar and leave some spots and splashes of lace about the glass. The nose offers some of the traditional lambic character (mustiness, leather, wet straw, barnyard) and a bit of just barely ripe banana character. This is actually made with real bananas. They're pressed to obtain juice just as apples are for cider. The body is light-medium and it's very fine, natural carbonation just lightly caresses the tongue. The fermentation characteristics of the lambic are less noticeable in the flavor than they are in the nose, and a sweet, even candyish, banana-washed maltiness dominates. Some other fruits come into play along the way (cherry, berries, plum), but the banana becomes distinct in the aftertaste. This is a light and sweet, very easy drinking beer that surprised me in how well the banana actually worked. It's very much like a sweet wine, and would make a good apertif or after-dinner "cordial". I'm not sure how well it would actually pair with a banana based dessert, but I think it might go exceptionally well with fresh strawberries and kiwi. Well-done (although one could barely call it a lambic as its so sweet that it's well beyond tradition), and interesting enough to warrant a try.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: Hazy light golden color, with a slight dusting of foam, and scattered, patchy lacing.

Aroma; Massive aroma of over-ripe bananas, with only a slight note of typical lambic mustiness. The banana aroma seems absolutely authentic and natural.

Taste: Rich banana note at the open, followed by a faintly musty taste, and a quite syrupy sweetness. Finishes with a slight barnyard tang, characteristic of the style.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with a slight sting of carbonation, and a somewhat light body.

Drinkability/notes: A pleasant and rather off-beat example of a fruit lambic. The brewery should be applauded for offering such a unique interpretation of the style.

Sampled as a part of the "Night of Chapeau", with my friend and fellow BA HardTarget.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours a pretty clear yellow. Nose is like apple skins and bananas. Flavor is the same: apples and bananas. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this was a cider. Slick feel and a biting carbonation. This was a surprise as I didn't expect to have such a nice drinking experience with it. Is it a traditional lambic? No. Is it worth trying? I am glad I did.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

A - Poured into a champagne flute. Clearish gold, sticky white head.

S - As you'd expect, aroma is strong banana bread.

T - Banana, sweet and strong. Some light tartness underneath.

F - Highly, highly carbonated, more than a bit burpy....but come on, you have to love those banana burps. At least I do.

D - Like other Chapeau offerings, sweet...but also enjoyable. A guilty pleasure for me, I will never trash beers like this. I love Cantillon as much as the next BA, but there's a place for this non-traditional interpretation of lambic, too.

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%

appearance: fizzy and light brown beer with absolutely no beery yellow touches. a color i can honestly say i've never seen in a beer. carbonation is high and generates alot of billowing, empty foam.

aroma: bananaey, but not quite. like fruit without its sweetness or starch. smells like a banana slim fast or banana now and later. interesting. maybe its the lambic sourness cancelling sweet.

taste: wow. banana sweetness sure is there, and paired with an appley tartness and champagne carb, this beer approaches soft drink territory. tasty and odd. is it what i expected? i dont know. it tastes good and i have nothing to compare it to. i'm going high on the numbers because i enjoyed it completely, especially its khaki color. i will lower this review if someone gives me more banana lambics to stand this up against.

dont know why people hate this beer.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

If you have a woman in your life that you want to try to get them started on craft beers, I'd recommend this. My fiancee' dislikes most traditional craft beers, even most of the fruit beers, lambics, etc. However, we were visiting some friends in Liege, Belgium and we came across this little gem. She loved it! We haven't been able to find it here in Pennsylvania yet but we continue to look. I've had multiple other 'banana beers' and this is by far-and-away the best, it literally tastes like you're drinking a fresh banana. A lovely after dinner beer.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Consumed in a Chapeau Lambic De Troch glass, festooned with a cornucopia of fruit, cherry, raspberry, apricot, peach, pineapple, and, yes, banana. But they left out lemon and plum!
Clear, pale banana-peel yellow color, with a fine, fluffy, fizzy snow-white head. Aroma is full of banana flavor, with a decent helping of sour notes right up front. Sweet and sour, hand and hand, side by side, fast friends, despite vast diffences. How do they do it, these two chums? There's a certain candyish element to the overall profile, and perhaps that's what helps them stick together, those stalwart pals.
Spritzy, soda-ish carbonation hits the palate. Notes of lemon find their way into the profile and persists throughout. Body is light, alcohol low, elements we often try discern and dissect in beer are minimal and invisible.
But this is a different creation, and should be judged and considered as such. It's a dessert beer, look at it as you would a sweet liqueur, like Grand Marnier, or one of those ice cream drinks everyone has to have after they dine at a steak house (Grasshopper, Pink Squirrel). They're cute, fun, and meant to be sipped and savored slowly while digesting, burping, discussing world events and personal pet peeves, all those things you do after dinner. What this uniquely flavored lambic may lack, it makes up for with flavor and texture.
So I like it, crucify me!
I've been serving this (as well as other Chapeau flavors) at the Ethiopian restaurant whose bar I manage for 2 1/2 years now. It was suggested by a salesrep who originally just wanted to sell me on a Zimbabwean lager, but wouldn't banana beer be a natural at an African place? Sure, they make homemade banana beer in Africa, and I'd love to try some if I could. Me, I love the flavor of bananas, but the actual fruit sometimes makes me gag. A Belgian-loving friend has the same problem, and when she tasted this, declared it her favorite...(until she tried Aventinus, that is.)
My first activity on this site was defending this beer from it's vocal detractors, and it was suggested that I review it to provide contrast. 362 reviews later, I finally got around to it. Damned procrastination!

3.88/5  rDev +22.4%

I like banana <everything>. You name it: banana cream pie, banana cake, banana pudding, banana bread, banana candy, banana schnapps; it if tastes like banana, I can't get enough. Oddly though, I don't care for the actual fruit. It stands to reason, then, that I would like banana beer, right? Only one way to find out...

Rather than being banana peel yellow, like I was expecting, the beer is actually a fetching shade of 24-karat gold. It's much classier this way. The eggshell colored crown is large and frothy, with delicate, pearl-like bubbles on its upper surface. With a slight adjustment of the color and contrast knobs, Banana Lambic would look pretty close to banana cream pie in a glass.

I caught a huge whiff of fresh banana upon extracting the cork, but it now appears to be gone for good. In its place, when I actually get beer and nose in close proximity, is a much more beer-like aroma that I don't like nearly as well. For some reason, the mild Belgian yeasty funkspice doesn't blend well with banana, at least in this case. It's okay, but the nose needs to be more bananarific and less yeasty.

Rarely have I tasted a beer that goes through so many flavor gyrations from the start of each mouthful to the finish. The first third is the best: sweet, sugary, candyish banana. It doesn't taste like fresh bananas and it doesn't taste artificial, but like an impressively sweet banana dessert made with the fresh fruit. The final third is more lambic-like, although dyed in the wool lambic lovers will likely scoff at that notion.

The sweetness doesn't fade entirely, but is met on more or less equal terms by a less frivolous, more earthy, more oaky, more sour, more funky flavor. The middle third, not surprisingly, is a combination of the outer thirds. As I get deeper into the bottle, and as my taste buds become better acclimated, the flavor becomes more of an organic whole. I would have been disappointed if this had been simply a sweet, sticky banana popsicle of a beer.

The mouthfeel is medium-full thanks to all the sugar. Thankfully, it isn't as overpoweringly sweet as the Melbourn Bros. fruit lambics. I don't have to sip this one nearly as slowly as I do those. Since I happen to love fuller-bodied beer and something less than chaotic carbonation (as in this case), I like the mouthfeel just fine.

I know that Chapeau Banana Lambic won't be everyone's cup of tea and that it has no hope of being taken seriously by those who consider themselves arbiters of all that is pure and right and just when it comes to the lambic style, but I couldn't care less. I really do like banana <everything>. Including this original, fun-loving beer from Brouwerij De Troch.

3.87/5  rDev +22.1%

Pours a clear amber yellow with some very heavy sediment on a couple of pours. Light ring of foam with very lazy to no bubbling. The aroma is like a German heat beer on banana steroids. Tart smelling malt along with the tart bananas makesofr a very unique smelling fruit lambic. The taste is citrusy tart bananas with a more natural banana favor and feel at the finish. The palate is just a tart, not at all acidic fruit flavor. Very litle funk. The banana covers up any lambic funkiness.

3.82/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: honey amber with golden highlights and a thin white head.

Aroma: you know it – banana! With a honey oak background.

Flavors: candied banana but, it is not overly sweet. A light honey oak tone underneath the banana.

Mouthfeel: smooth and slightly creamy banana feel, lingering banana and honey oak. Light, very light carbonation which helps with that slightly creamy banana feel.

I am not a lambic slappy but, this is very nice. Plan to have this at your next Hawaiian party.

3.79/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours out a clear golden peach color topped by a big white fluffy head that dissipates quickly. The nose is pure banana with some sweetness and tropical notes. There's a tiny bit of sourness at the end. The taste is at first sweet with banana, then comes around with a little sourness and yeast. Has a fairly crisp mouthfeel and dry finish, but the aftertaste is a bit much.

Chapeau Banana Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch