Chapeau Banana Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Banana LambicChapeau Banana Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-08-2002)

PaBeerLover, Feb 27, 2012

waiting4lunch, Jan 02, 2012

Anacross, Dec 15, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +50.9%

I have a bit different perspective than some others on here...

Poured in to a stange a yellowish color with a fluffy white head that lasted for a bit and left a nice lacing.

Smell was of bananas (yes real ones) that were soured. It's an interesting thing to smell being that bananas don't sour but that's the only way I can describe it. Taste was the same, sour bananas. It was also absolutely delicious. I got this at Stubbie's in Gainesville after being intrigued by seeing it on their menu and decided to suck it up and go for it. Everyone who tasted it also bought one, it was really that good.

Mouthfeel was excellent for the style and had a clean acidic finish. I love lambics and can drink them all the time, this was a perfect example of a great one.

mullenite, Oct 06, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +47.8%

One of the most interesting beers I have tasted...

Pours a pale golden yellow with a very bubbly, foamy short head. Good carbonation. Nose is immediately bananas, real bananas, not some crappy sugary fake smell. Smells sweet. Taste IS sweet. However, not syrupy like most lambics. Very banana-y, very nice, very REAL. Again, not fake imho and I'm pretty anal about drinking real flavors. This was a pleasant surprise I was not expecting and it exceeded my expectations (which is quite hard to do). Excellent, if you like bananas.

aquatonex, Oct 23, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

Served in a stange.

As expected from a Lambic, no head developed. Against the glass some bubbles have formed and there’s a very thin white layer on top of the beer.
The colour is a faint see-through yellow with a reasonable amount of carbonation for this genre.
The scent gives sour bananas.
Taste is very refreshing. The sourness is brought in balance by the full and slightly sweet banana taste.
As time passes these two seemingly hostile tastes merge into a strange sour and dry sensation. Strange, but tasty. It lingers on.

I can understand that this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But I’m sold!

Bierschenker, Jul 14, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Lot's o' little carb bubbles rise up and disappear in this orange colored brew. No head after the original pour. The main scent is that sour lambic nose, banana as well. Mmmm. Very sweet tasting. Seems like there are more flavors in play than just the banana. Sourness is there but not as pronounced as the others in this style that i've had. Thin to medium mouth, somewhat acidic. Overall dank-a-lank.

Tballz420, May 06, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +39.3%

My take on banana is the exact opposite of BuckeyeNation's (please see his review): I pretty much dislike anything banana-flavored (artificial or natural), but love the fruit itself.

So I was extremely surprised to find how delicious this particular Lambic is, even if many don't consider Chapeau up there with Cantillon. But so what...I've had this three times now, and with this bottle I'm just as impressed with it as the previous times.

It pours a thin head, but leaves nice small swirls of lace as the liquid disappears (and that all too quickly). Color is of a pear/peach breakfast juice. A hazy, hypnotic gold with what appear to be pulp floaters meshing nicely with the mellow carbonation. I suppose the sediment is a banana/yeast mixture(?).

Aroma is clearly banana, but not in that acidic way you might experience artifically banana-flavored drinks or candies. This is the smell of slightly overripe real bananas...the presence of malt and especially yeast funk makes for a complex aroma.

And the taste: It's a total breakfast beer. (And I was honored to share one for breakfast with my brother Nick in Belgium last September.) I'm tasting what I'm smelling, mostly bananas, with a malt/yeast combo in the background. And it's ultra-creamy. The mouthfeel is like velvet melting on the tongue. Nice and round, luxuriously smooth...I'm in love. It's sweet, but not overly so, but interestingly whenever I ask people about this one, they wrinkle their face and say "too sweet!" Diff'rent strokes, they say...

Don't let anyone call this a girlie beer. I, a full-blooded American male, will always have time and tastebuds for this particular beer.

Metalmonk, Mar 07, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +36.2%

It looks like I'm going to go against many previous posts and say I actually like this beer. An appealing clear golden yellow, with a small head that dissipated fairly quickly. As it was passed around the table, some noses were upturned at what to me was what a lambic's nose should have - dryness, mustiness, wet wool, When tasted at service temperature, the flavors were muted (of banana of course) were muted, but once allowed to warm, the taste got richer and fuller - definitely tangier too. While I'm not sure I could have many due to the sweetness, it is a very enjoyable drink, esp for warmer climes/seasons. Well worth a try.

stingo, Feb 12, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

davidwhatshisnam, May 03, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

RuthL, Sep 23, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +32.1%

In the glass, it looks like a BMC, with a slightly darker colour.. Head is large and tight, and quickly reduces to half original size.. No sign of bubbles rising in the glass.

Smell is light and airy, with hints of spice and banana, and on odd green apple overtone. (Are we sure we're not in Ephemere land?) There's even a slight hint of olive in the aroma.

The banana flavour hits right up front with a definite lambic context- more lambic than banana. There are hints of mango and papaya deep in the flavour. It's more pungent than I expected, but pleasantly so.

Very little carbonation right up front- andthe body is slightly thicker than on some lambics I've had in the past.

I find thei one very drinkable, if you're in the mood for this sort of thing. It's a bit sweeter than some lambics, but again, not unpleasantly so. This one was better than I thought it would be.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Jul 30, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +31.4%

Color is of strow with a hazy gold hue. Head is an off-white thick dinse fuzz that was an inch thick. Nose is a zesty taffy banana smell. There is a hint of cork (maybe oak) on the nose also, even a bit woodsy in the back round. On first sip I had to sit back and say wow, I wasnt expecting it to be that sweet. It isnt in a bad way though. It is almost syrup sweet with strong notes of banana glaze on the mouth. Easy to drink. Really nothing not to like about this beer unless your not a fan of bananas or sweet.

SPLITGRIN, Jul 15, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +30.5%

Pours a light amber color with a tall head and nice retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma has tons of bananas with a little bit of spice and a little bit of funk. The flavor is very interesting. Tons of banana flavors with just a hint of funkiness. Lots of creamyness with the banana. The mouthfeel on this one is moderate to thick and the drinkability is really good. It seems that most people really don't like this beer, but I love the banana flavors and think this is a very good shot at something new to most people. There are a few things that could be improved, but I really think this is an interesting and an on-the-edge brew.

clvand0, Jun 05, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +28.9%

Chapeau's fruited lambics are in the sweet i.e. less-traditional style and the Banana is no exception. If you are looking for the Cantillon style of geuze lambics in the traitional style - this isn't for you. I generally prefer the complex and sour lambics but there is something special about the Chapeau products I really enjoy.

Like most lambics - the joy starts before the first drop hits the glass as the smell fills the room when the cork is popped. This smells fantastic - perfectly ripe bananas fill the room and if you pay close attention you can pick up a little of the funk that the more traditional styles show more heavily. It doesn't have the more organic and body related smells that I appreciate in something like the Oud Beersel Kriek. There are no hops noticed by my nose and that's a good thing in lambic.

The appearance is a slightly cloudy light gold that isn't too far from pilsner-looking. The head dissapates after 5 minutes but a pretty stark white lacing clings to the edge of my St. Bernadus goblet. Maybe a tulip or tumbler would be better suited to hold this beer but my goblet feeds me the stink just fine and the open bowl lets the beer warm nicely.

The first sip is cloying and almost unpleasant. This is a very sweet lambic. Subsequent tastes allow the sweetness to calm slightly as the slight lambic sour brings the beer forward on your tongue. What a cool mouthfeel - but it doesn't pucker your cheeks like the traditional style lambics. This is much like a Faro in that it's very sweet with low carbonation and just tart enough to keep you engaged. This is probably best served as an apertif but I can't see it hurting spicy Thai or any such food that balances sweet with sour and hot. I'm down with the liquid banana.

This is easily drinkable as a sweet beer, a distraction, a variation. I can't imagine more than one or two at a time but....on a early spring night with a light chill....this would be a great apertif. Some denounce sweet lambic as "girl" lambic but what's so bad about that? There's a place for this beer on my menu and I really appreciate this brewer's bold efforts in lambic. Lemon, frambois, X-mas geuze, yellow plum (mirabelle), exotic...I'll buy them all when I can find them.

ChampionJaguar, Dec 23, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +28.3%

Pours a small hazy orange-ish color with a small white to no head. In the aroma, it smells of banana RUNTS. In the taste, a note of tartness, but it drinks like a mouthful of banana RUNTS. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a dry to sugary banana peel. Sugary and candy bananas, with a nice mellow and small tartness.

OWSLEY069, Feb 13, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +28.3%

A: Golden-yellow with only a little white head, but it leaves some lace.

S: Big banana aroma (a bit like those spongy banana candies) with noticable tartness as well.

T: There's plenty of sugar here, so it's not really tart at all. Pleasantly balanced and refreshing. The banana flavour is nice, and doesn't seem as artificial as the aroma.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation, dry finish.

D: Good introduction to the style (though it's not very representative, borders on a malternative flavour). Very drinkable.

Derek, Aug 23, 2007

Pandaflute, Jun 09, 2012

Really nice beer. I think the ratings on this beer are lower than they should be because the beer has low alcohol. This beer is delicious and the banana flavor clearly reminds me of the banana Runts. It's not terribly artificial tasting but has that nice candy quality to it without being overly sweet.

TSJ4000, May 11, 2012