Chapeau Banana Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-08-2002

3.59/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this beer with breakfast this morning. Just a simple peanut butter and jam with a piece of banana cream pie. It actually worked very well I was happy with the pairings. At first I was not sure about this beer and the pie but it was awesome the sweet creamy banana pie went well with the sourness of this lambic and neither overpowered each other. The Chapeau is a hazy yellow with little head and no retention . Smells of banana ( almost like the banana shaped candy) and some other fruits. The taste is fruity banana like and sour. Not a beer to have everyday but a nice change up beer and my girlfriend enjoys it as well (witch is rare). (643 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Lot's o' little carb bubbles rise up and disappear in this orange colored brew. No head after the original pour. The main scent is that sour lambic nose, banana as well. Mmmm. Very sweet tasting. Seems like there are more flavors in play than just the banana. Sourness is there but not as pronounced as the others in this style that i've had. Thin to medium mouth, somewhat acidic. Overall dank-a-lank. (402 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +23.4%

A - Poured into a champagne flute. Clearish gold, sticky white head.

S - As you'd expect, aroma is strong banana bread.

T - Banana, sweet and strong. Some light tartness underneath.

F - Highly, highly carbonated, more than a bit burpy....but come on, you have to love those banana burps. At least I do.

D - Like other Chapeau offerings, sweet...but also enjoyable. A guilty pleasure for me, I will never trash beers like this. I love Cantillon as much as the next BA, but there's a place for this non-traditional interpretation of lambic, too. (551 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this beer at the Belgian Beer Festival in Boston. Poured from a bottle into a two ounce tasting glass.

A. Light yellow body with a egg white head.

S.banana

T. Banana and some faint sourness

M.light

D.as advertised. Banana with a touch of lambic sourness to let you know its beer. Cute to try once. Don't know what else I would want out of this. (354 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

LCBO bottle tasting-Pours sparkling light yellow with a thin fizzy white head that diminishes quickly. Funky banana aroma, barnyard, mixed tropical fruits and a touch of yeast. The flavour profile is pretty sweet banana, with some other fruity components, sugary syrup, yeasty funk and a touch of hoppy sharpness. FInishes fizzy and acidic, sweet as hell. One per week is my max. (379 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +6.9%

Golden in color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly. It is a very fresh, clean smelling beer, with fruity banana aromas. It is very fresh tasting with a bit of the banana in the flavor, but not as much banana as in the aroma. It has a more apple-like flavor, which flows to a slight banana flavored dry finish. It has a clean, wine-like mouthfeel. It is a definite after dinner, dessert beer. Not too bad, but I couldn’t have more than one in a sitting. (472 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -47.5%

A- Very crisp and bubbly, lots of singular entities flowing from the bottom of my snifter. The bottle gave off the barest hint of a pop when it was decorked. The head developed was very minimal, if I can even call it a head. Some lacing, maybe decent stickiness on that.

S- Sickly banana sweet. Insanely cloying, nauseating. Behind that there is a light tart characteristic. Doesn't really come off citric, I'd put it closer to lactic.

T- BLAM! Candy banana flavor. Like runts. In fact this is the closest banana flavor I've ever had to runts that wasn't a runt. Perhaps thats the secret ingredient. Laffy taffy is another good representation of it. Minor tartness comes off the back end. Again, could be lactic, could be acetic but I lean closer to lactic. Finish is artificial banana.

M- Little bit fuller than I'd like it to be, creamy at times, bit crisp around the edges. Gentle tartness hits the cheeks. Low carbonation is not so bad because of this, although maybe it could have hidden some of the overwhelmingly sweet hits.

Like laffy taffy, runts, and white grape juice all force carbonated and topped off with a bit more sugar. Dissappointingly gross. Fiance was in love with it though. (1,204 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -31.3%

Ok, reflect with me now. you can handle a beer that tastes like cherry, that's alright for a kriek for example. But do you really want a beer that's gonna have a banana flavour? they're not that good on their own, so they're bound to rather spoil the beer than be enhanced by it. the bad stuff is always dominant in a mixture.

The pour is oh-so unexciting if you expect somthing bright and original to pop out of this 'chapeau'. Lager like appearance in terms of the translucid straw colour, but the headlessness makes you rather think about some sort of soft drink...

...And so does the smell (and taste). Unexcitingly scented in what I'd rather say seemed like an artificial fashion (even if it's probably untrue), with an evident banana scent negatively mixed with hops and malt- yuck. The taste, although not bad for one of those fruit soft drinks, certainly drives the whole sense of 'beer' away from its careless sweetness and rather excessive carbonation, proper for a coca-cola sort of competition.

Get this one away from my face now. (1,051 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -14.7%

Chapeau Banana lambic pours out with
minimal head over a golden brew with
considerable suspended chunks. The nose
is sour and vinous and of oak. The flavor is
slightly sweet and tart and is more like cider
than banana. The mouthfeel is round and a
bit syrupy. I'm used to seeing floaties in beer
but for some reason these floaties were a turn
off. Some of them were pretty chunky though.
I won't be revisiting this brew again. (437 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +14.1%

A bit of suds on the top, no real head, pale straw.

Smells a bit like banana Laffy Taffy, not in a bad way.

Some mild citrus character, but obviously the banana character is dominant. It's really light and pleasant, not very tart.

Mouthfeel is pretty subdued-- it's bright but not super intense.

Pretty neat-- smell is a little artificial, but taste is nice. (362 characters)

12 oz champagne mini bottle, corked and capped.

Pours out bright pale straw and sits a light gold, tinted peach in the glass with a frothy white head being fed by a thick stream of bubbles. Head fades slowly to a light skim a few lacings fall around the glass.

Aroma is nice and musty with a thick oak presence. Chalky banana flesh mingles with a ligh, soured aroma of lemons, grapes and crab apples. Very mild leathery aroma, dry and dusty.

Tastes sugary sweet up front but is balanced off with an even sourness. I'm reminded of a particular flavor of Jelly Bellies, Butter Popcorn (one of my favorites), this just seems a little odd. Soft notes of bananas meld with sweetened fruity flavors of apples and grapes, holding bits of skin-induced sourness. Dry wooden flavors hide in the background, offering a bit of old-world, musky flavor. Finish holds on to the fruity sweetness, rather candylike sweetness and is partially dry, but lacking in depth.

Smooth yet crisp in the mouth, lightly effervescent. Quite easy to handle and a suitable feel for what it holds.

I couldn't have imagined this to taste any different. As far as getting a good banana flavor into a lambic, they've done quite well. I actually enjoyed this, maybe it's because of my sweet tooth, but I can't find much fault with it. I'll say that it lacks a lot in terms of the traditional lambic mustiness, but it has it's own place and is well made as a banana flavored beer. This would make for a great dessert beer. (1,499 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -21.3%

I've been sitting on a bunch of reviews, waiting to drink something really cool to put in for my 400th on BA. However, since it hasn't happened in the last few weeks and I'm racking up the untyped reviews, I decided to go ahead and review something really crappy and weird for my 400th instead. So here it is - #400!

Purchased a 250mL bottle of this odd little beer from the LCBO. Poured an ugly, muddy brown into a white wine glass - reminds me of rotten fruit, which is not a good thing for a fruit beer. Decent-sized white head, and lots of lacing. Aroma is mild banana, some bubblegum or other artificial sugary flavours, and a hint of sourness. The sourness comes out a lot more in the flavour, "balanced" by icky medicinal banana flavours and overripe fruits. Above-average carbonation and fairly light body. Sugary sweet candy aftertaste. I finished this, but just barely - would not buy again. (902 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours out a clear golden peach color topped by a big white fluffy head that dissipates quickly. The nose is pure banana with some sweetness and tropical notes. There's a tiny bit of sourness at the end. The taste is at first sweet with banana, then comes around with a little sourness and yeast. Has a fairly crisp mouthfeel and dry finish, but the aftertaste is a bit much. (374 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a stange, it looks like a very tasty beer very attractive too...
It has a very thin white head that makes a perfect ring around the glass with medium lacing and partially covers a medium blonde body with some very active carbonation. The banana aroma is very strong, in fact that's about all I can smell and it reminds me of banana pudding mixed up with soy sauce. Well, thank god it doesn't taste like that, but it is sour, refreshing and crisp but it taste like Welch's grape soda and a life-savers, very sweet, a banana flavor is present but is not over powering and is mildly tangy in its aftertaste. It's good but the sweetness in this one is too strong for me, but it would go great with some desserts or be great in a dessert either which way it would be tasty. (780 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -63.1%

This beer was a real disappointment for me and the friends I tasted it with. The color of the beer is golden, with absolutely no head. The carbonation was very weak. The beer just tasted like artificial candies and was way to sweet for me. Even the smell was artificial. The smell and the taste had nothing in common with "real" banana aroma.
The low abv made the beer taste like a bad banana syrup.
The aftertaste was very unpleasant, I just wanted to eat or drink something else to lose the taste of that beer.
None of us could finish the bottle. Too bad I had bought a Chapeau Lemon and a Chapeau Strawberry the same day... (632 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -14.7%

The nose feels a bit like banana compote of fruit with a slight hint of strawberry. Very sweet, very sweet and bubbly, beer has a strong flavor of the banana in the taste of beer being present. And although the finish is slightly bitter, like the banana peel and the taste of banana blends rather well, the beer is nevertheless aimed at a market of young consumers. (365 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -13.4%

Banana lambic. Hmmm...

Poured into a jelly jar (most of my beer glasses are in storage after a long haul move from DC to San Antonio, TX, so my glassware is limited). Appears a dirty blond color with a light fizzy head. No lace. Very un-Belgian looking. The nose is fruity. Lots of banana, as expected, but also some decent generic lambic scents. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. The taste, however, is where things begin to go south. Way too pungent, it delivers a tart and tangy acid-banana flavor. Not exactly tasty. It could be worse, I suppose, but this would be a lot better off if it were a bit more subtle. Mouthfeel is okay, but everything is offset by the strength of the taste.

Chapeau Banana is not the worst beer I've ever had. But I really like lambics, and this one is just a bit too over the top for me. If the brewery dumbed down the tartness just a bit and made the whole thing a tad less stringent, it might actually work. But as it is, it's just too much to really enjoy. (995 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -12.2%

A- clear straw with tons of floaters, 1/2" tight white head, little retent

S- ripe bananas, yeast, hints of wood

T- high sweetness, lots of banana, aftertaste has some wheat, overall just ridiculously sweet banana, ridiculous cause there's little else

M- high carbonation, light body, soda/juice like

D- way too sweet for me, some tartness would bring this brew a long way, worth w try for fun, but don't expect a miracle (433 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +46.6%

One of the most interesting beers I have tasted...

Pours a pale golden yellow with a very bubbly, foamy short head. Good carbonation. Nose is immediately bananas, real bananas, not some crappy sugary fake smell. Smells sweet. Taste IS sweet. However, not syrupy like most lambics. Very banana-y, very nice, very REAL. Again, not fake imho and I'm pretty anal about drinking real flavors. This was a pleasant surprise I was not expecting and it exceeded my expectations (which is quite hard to do). Excellent, if you like bananas. (532 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +49.1%

I have a bit different perspective than some others on here...

Poured in to a stange a yellowish color with a fluffy white head that lasted for a bit and left a nice lacing.

Smell was of bananas (yes real ones) that were soured. It's an interesting thing to smell being that bananas don't sour but that's the only way I can describe it. Taste was the same, sour bananas. It was also absolutely delicious. I got this at Stubbie's in Gainesville after being intrigued by seeing it on their menu and decided to suck it up and go for it. Everyone who tasted it also bought one, it was really that good.

Mouthfeel was excellent for the style and had a clean acidic finish. I love lambics and can drink them all the time, this was a perfect example of a great one. (761 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a glass, it has an appealing caramel color and no head, just a few white bubbles on top.

It smelled unpleasantly chemical to my nose--very artificial banana flavoring--and that's also what I got from the taste. Weirdly artificial, tangy, metallic, almost a waxy mouthfeel.

I'm generally a fan of the lambic style, but this was not a good example of that style to my tongue. Wouldn't drink again. (409 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a pale yellow. no head or lacing.

Aroma of bananas.

Taste of bananas. Apple cider sweetness. Slight hint of tartness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, low in carbonation.

Overall I feel this brew is worth trying once, not sure I'll ever want another. (257 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a deep yellow with a soft and bubbly head. The lacing was pretty good, I had this out of a wine glass.

Smell: Pure banana and very sweet. Not in any way spiced or resembling the kind of hefeweizen banana aroma but much more sweet smelling

Taste: Quite one dimensional with no real complexity but I don't think that was the brewer's aim here. This is pure banana and not far from what I think a banana soda might taste like.

Mouthfeel: This is maybe the best feature of the beer, and its saving grace. Medium bodied with a crisp but medium carbonation (560 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -1.9%

250mL bottle from LCBO. Pours a pale light straw. No head. The first taste assaults the tongue with a profile like apple juice. There's a bit of banana in the middle, but the sourness prevails. I'm actually happy this isn't the light, bland experience I was expecting. I'm certainly drinking something - I'm just not sure it's beer. (332 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +31.9%

In the glass, it looks like a BMC, with a slightly darker colour.. Head is large and tight, and quickly reduces to half original size.. No sign of bubbles rising in the glass.

Smell is light and airy, with hints of spice and banana, and on odd green apple overtone. (Are we sure we're not in Ephemere land?) There's even a slight hint of olive in the aroma.

The banana flavour hits right up front with a definite lambic context- more lambic than banana. There are hints of mango and papaya deep in the flavour. It's more pungent than I expected, but pleasantly so.

Very little carbonation right up front- andthe body is slightly thicker than on some lambics I've had in the past.

I find thei one very drinkable, if you're in the mood for this sort of thing. It's a bit sweeter than some lambics, but again, not unpleasantly so. This one was better than I thought it would be.

Be well