2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chapeau Banana Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Banana LambicChapeau Banana Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-08-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 134 | Reviews: 85 | Show All Ratings:
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

After spending my afternoon researching the travel costs and numerous, historic beer bars of Belgium, hoping that a trip may be in the near future, I was enthused enough to drink the Chapeau Banana.

Another muggy July afternoon in 2007. A small bottle graphic disclaims "authentic lambic beer" and the back list a best before date of 22/03/09, which is a long life span for a beer of only 3.5% but a short one for a lambic.

The beer would be completely flat with absolutely no sign of carbonation. This is, at least somewhat impart, to the angle at which I carefully and very slowly poured the beer (there are often plenty of yeasties in the De Troch beers that I opted to keep out this time around). Clear bodied, the colour is very pale and especially if the slow, sparse streams of bubbles would pick up pace the appearance would resemble identically that of champagne.

The aroma is well received; very clean and unmistakably banana. The smell shapes up to be like a banana cream custard. Not in any way too sweet. It takes very little to imagine what I'm describing, it quite simply is like holding a fresh cut banana to your nose. I don't think that's what most beer drinkers want, but should it be, they've done a good job at providing it.

The mouthfeel is quite spritzy with a low - but sharp - carbonation hitting instantly. The sweetness now also sets in very quickly. A dry finish. The qualities of the lambic (which with the Chapeau's is a low, timid level of the) 'barnyard funk' character seems to blend nicely with the banana flavour. The funky, wild yeast and sweet, fruity banana flavour blend well.

The lambic flavour hits the palate first but it is the taste of bananas that settles there. It is in no sense overwhelming. The balance between sweet/fruity, and light/refreshing is there. The taste of banana cream/pudding is always present. The beer has a very slight tart character that doesn't quite go unnoticed.

I found this to be arguably the best made offering of the Chapeau series. Among the many different fruit flavoured lambics I've tried I certainly wouldn't say banana was the tastiest, nor a flavour I'd insist on trying more of. It was, however, certainly one of the most interesting. I might actually recommend this one. It has a very light and easy-drinking demeanor (with only a trace of flavour) that swill tries (or at least advertises) to have.

07-11-2007 20:32:05 | More by biegaman
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

2.65/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

"Ingredients: Beer, bananas, sugar, flavor".

I wish they were more specific about 'flavor'. Artificial flavor? Natural flavor?

Anyways, this plambic pours a pale light copper with a frothy smallish head and a few streaks of lace. The aroma is full of sweet banana flavor extract with a banana bread feel. Some green banana notes are also noticeable. The taste follows suit with lots of banana flavors, though not really natural tasting. The finish has some Runt candy flavor (the banana ones of course) and a slight ascerbic acid tartness. The mouthfeel is not light, it has a coating sweetness.

This is pretty much an alcopop. It lacks pretty much any beer or lambic flavor, except for a faint tatness. Pass.

07-08-2007 01:44:54 | More by CAMRAhardliner
ElGordo

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured from the 12oz corked bottle into a Lindeman's lambic flute. Aroma of ripe bananas is overwhelming as soon as the cork comes out, developing only a slight musty character as it warms. Body is a deep, syrupy golden color with very little head or carbonation. Palate is cloyingly sweet - ripe bananas and simple syrup, with only a very slight earthy character. Finish is thick and a bit sticky. Overall, this is difficult to drink and just not a very good offering.

05-03-2007 05:19:58 | More by ElGordo
tonistruth

Nevada

2.78/5  rDev -12.3%

A- clear straw with tons of floaters, 1/2" tight white head, little retent

S- ripe bananas, yeast, hints of wood

T- high sweetness, lots of banana, aftertaste has some wheat, overall just ridiculously sweet banana, ridiculous cause there's little else

M- high carbonation, light body, soda/juice like

D- way too sweet for me, some tartness would bring this brew a long way, worth w try for fun, but don't expect a miracle

03-17-2007 01:21:58 | More by tonistruth
shadow1961

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

Chapeau Banana lambic pours out with
minimal head over a golden brew with
considerable suspended chunks. The nose
is sour and vinous and of oak. The flavor is
slightly sweet and tart and is more like cider
than banana. The mouthfeel is round and a
bit syrupy. I'm used to seeing floaties in beer
but for some reason these floaties were a turn
off. Some of them were pretty chunky though.
I won't be revisiting this brew again.

02-06-2007 08:13:33 | More by shadow1961
Pegasus

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: Hazy light golden color, with a slight dusting of foam, and scattered, patchy lacing.

Aroma; Massive aroma of over-ripe bananas, with only a slight note of typical lambic mustiness. The banana aroma seems absolutely authentic and natural.

Taste: Rich banana note at the open, followed by a faintly musty taste, and a quite syrupy sweetness. Finishes with a slight barnyard tang, characteristic of the style.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, with a slight sting of carbonation, and a somewhat light body.

Drinkability/notes: A pleasant and rather off-beat example of a fruit lambic. The brewery should be applauded for offering such a unique interpretation of the style.

Sampled as a part of the "Night of Chapeau", with my friend and fellow BA HardTarget.

11-20-2006 02:22:07 | More by Pegasus
dherling

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours out a clear golden peach color topped by a big white fluffy head that dissipates quickly. The nose is pure banana with some sweetness and tropical notes. There's a tiny bit of sourness at the end. The taste is at first sweet with banana, then comes around with a little sourness and yeast. Has a fairly crisp mouthfeel and dry finish, but the aftertaste is a bit much.

11-17-2006 02:15:32 | More by dherling
HardTarget

3.73/5  rDev +17.7%

Bottle Inspection: Notes aging in oak cask

Aroma: Very ripe banana, banana bread actually.

Appearance: Light haze, deep golden color, a thin collar gives some lacing.

Flavor: Surprise! Banana. Taste a bit like peel with some sweet syrup that gives a very slight artificial edge.

Mouthfeel: Full carbonation, medium-light body

Overall Impression: Exotic! Points for originality. Easily the best banana beer I’ve ever tasted! :)

Sampled as part of the “Night of Chapeau”, many thanks to Pegasus for assembling the 8 flavors.

10-30-2006 17:57:08 | More by HardTarget
aquatonex

4.7/5  rDev +48.3%

One of the most interesting beers I have tasted...

Pours a pale golden yellow with a very bubbly, foamy short head. Good carbonation. Nose is immediately bananas, real bananas, not some crappy sugary fake smell. Smells sweet. Taste IS sweet. However, not syrupy like most lambics. Very banana-y, very nice, very REAL. Again, not fake imho and I'm pretty anal about drinking real flavors. This was a pleasant surprise I was not expecting and it exceeded my expectations (which is quite hard to do). Excellent, if you like bananas.

10-23-2006 18:47:27 | More by aquatonex
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.18/5  rDev +31.9%

Color is of strow with a hazy gold hue. Head is an off-white thick dinse fuzz that was an inch thick. Nose is a zesty taffy banana smell. There is a hint of cork (maybe oak) on the nose also, even a bit woodsy in the back round. On first sip I had to sit back and say wow, I wasnt expecting it to be that sweet. It isnt in a bad way though. It is almost syrup sweet with strong notes of banana glaze on the mouth. Easy to drink. Really nothing not to like about this beer unless your not a fan of bananas or sweet.

07-15-2006 03:57:15 | More by SPLITGRIN
GCBrewingCo

3.4/5  rDev +7.3%

The beer poured into the glass clear golden straw with a lasting white head which laced the glass.

The aroma was ripe bananas and banana peels. The aroma contained a banana sweetness up front and a bit of lactic sour behind.

The flavor was sweet with an artificial flavor to both the sweetness and the banana flavor. The flavor of banana was light, yet present, but coupled with the sweetnes and the tartness of the original lambic, the flavor became more of a muted cherry on the palate. The flavor also seemed to have a bit of an apple fruit as well and the tartness was very low.

The finish was even yet heading toward dry with a lasting bit of apple flavor into the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation level seemed fine for the style. The beer was easy to consume, although a bit sweet and with little banana flavor past the aroma.

12.7 ounce corked and capped bottle.

05-15-2006 22:14:06 | More by GCBrewingCo
sulldaddy

Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev -9.1%

I am drinking this cold in a snifter. The beer pours like fizzy champagne a clear gold color with no sediment. A fizzy bleached white head foams up 1 cm and fades to a surface layer quickly. Aroma is not surprisingly lots of banana at first and some bread notes and definite wet blanket funk come through as the glass breathes.
First sip reveals a lite body and fine fizzy carbonation that is prickly on my palate. Flavor is sweet and tangy banana and also some general tart fruit notes. The beer is generally sweet and sticky and reminds me of fizzy fruit juice. Not a favorite or one I would return to, but a beer experience nonetheless.

04-06-2006 03:05:35 | More by sulldaddy
Metalmonk

4.43/5  rDev +39.7%

My take on banana is the exact opposite of BuckeyeNation's (please see his review): I pretty much dislike anything banana-flavored (artificial or natural), but love the fruit itself.

So I was extremely surprised to find how delicious this particular Lambic is, even if many don't consider Chapeau up there with Cantillon. But so what...I've had this three times now, and with this bottle I'm just as impressed with it as the previous times.

It pours a thin head, but leaves nice small swirls of lace as the liquid disappears (and that all too quickly). Color is of a pear/peach breakfast juice. A hazy, hypnotic gold with what appear to be pulp floaters meshing nicely with the mellow carbonation. I suppose the sediment is a banana/yeast mixture(?).

Aroma is clearly banana, but not in that acidic way you might experience artifically banana-flavored drinks or candies. This is the smell of slightly overripe real bananas...the presence of malt and especially yeast funk makes for a complex aroma.

And the taste: It's a total breakfast beer. (And I was honored to share one for breakfast with my brother Nick in Belgium last September.) I'm tasting what I'm smelling, mostly bananas, with a malt/yeast combo in the background. And it's ultra-creamy. The mouthfeel is like velvet melting on the tongue. Nice and round, luxuriously smooth...I'm in love. It's sweet, but not overly so, but interestingly whenever I ask people about this one, they wrinkle their face and say "too sweet!" Diff'rent strokes, they say...

Don't let anyone call this a girlie beer. I, a full-blooded American male, will always have time and tastebuds for this particular beer.

03-07-2006 23:06:59 | More by Metalmonk
ChampionJaguar

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

Chapeau's fruited lambics are in the sweet i.e. less-traditional style and the Banana is no exception. If you are looking for the Cantillon style of geuze lambics in the traitional style - this isn't for you. I generally prefer the complex and sour lambics but there is something special about the Chapeau products I really enjoy.

Like most lambics - the joy starts before the first drop hits the glass as the smell fills the room when the cork is popped. This smells fantastic - perfectly ripe bananas fill the room and if you pay close attention you can pick up a little of the funk that the more traditional styles show more heavily. It doesn't have the more organic and body related smells that I appreciate in something like the Oud Beersel Kriek. There are no hops noticed by my nose and that's a good thing in lambic.

The appearance is a slightly cloudy light gold that isn't too far from pilsner-looking. The head dissapates after 5 minutes but a pretty stark white lacing clings to the edge of my St. Bernadus goblet. Maybe a tulip or tumbler would be better suited to hold this beer but my goblet feeds me the stink just fine and the open bowl lets the beer warm nicely.

The first sip is cloying and almost unpleasant. This is a very sweet lambic. Subsequent tastes allow the sweetness to calm slightly as the slight lambic sour brings the beer forward on your tongue. What a cool mouthfeel - but it doesn't pucker your cheeks like the traditional style lambics. This is much like a Faro in that it's very sweet with low carbonation and just tart enough to keep you engaged. This is probably best served as an apertif but I can't see it hurting spicy Thai or any such food that balances sweet with sour and hot. I'm down with the liquid banana.

This is easily drinkable as a sweet beer, a distraction, a variation. I can't imagine more than one or two at a time but....on a early spring night with a light chill....this would be a great apertif. Some denounce sweet lambic as "girl" lambic but what's so bad about that? There's a place for this beer on my menu and I really appreciate this brewer's bold efforts in lambic. Lemon, frambois, X-mas geuze, yellow plum (mirabelle), exotic...I'll buy them all when I can find them.

12-23-2005 01:50:13 | More by ChampionJaguar
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +23%

I like banana <everything>. You name it: banana cream pie, banana cake, banana pudding, banana bread, banana candy, banana schnapps; it if tastes like banana, I can't get enough. Oddly though, I don't care for the actual fruit. It stands to reason, then, that I would like banana beer, right? Only one way to find out...

Rather than being banana peel yellow, like I was expecting, the beer is actually a fetching shade of 24-karat gold. It's much classier this way. The eggshell colored crown is large and frothy, with delicate, pearl-like bubbles on its upper surface. With a slight adjustment of the color and contrast knobs, Banana Lambic would look pretty close to banana cream pie in a glass.

I caught a huge whiff of fresh banana upon extracting the cork, but it now appears to be gone for good. In its place, when I actually get beer and nose in close proximity, is a much more beer-like aroma that I don't like nearly as well. For some reason, the mild Belgian yeasty funkspice doesn't blend well with banana, at least in this case. It's okay, but the nose needs to be more bananarific and less yeasty.

Rarely have I tasted a beer that goes through so many flavor gyrations from the start of each mouthful to the finish. The first third is the best: sweet, sugary, candyish banana. It doesn't taste like fresh bananas and it doesn't taste artificial, but like an impressively sweet banana dessert made with the fresh fruit. The final third is more lambic-like, although dyed in the wool lambic lovers will likely scoff at that notion.

The sweetness doesn't fade entirely, but is met on more or less equal terms by a less frivolous, more earthy, more oaky, more sour, more funky flavor. The middle third, not surprisingly, is a combination of the outer thirds. As I get deeper into the bottle, and as my taste buds become better acclimated, the flavor becomes more of an organic whole. I would have been disappointed if this had been simply a sweet, sticky banana popsicle of a beer.

The mouthfeel is medium-full thanks to all the sugar. Thankfully, it isn't as overpoweringly sweet as the Melbourn Bros. fruit lambics. I don't have to sip this one nearly as slowly as I do those. Since I happen to love fuller-bodied beer and something less than chaotic carbonation (as in this case), I like the mouthfeel just fine.

I know that Chapeau Banana Lambic won't be everyone's cup of tea and that it has no hope of being taken seriously by those who consider themselves arbiters of all that is pure and right and just when it comes to the lambic style, but I couldn't care less. I really do like banana <everything>. Including this original, fun-loving beer from Brouwerij De Troch.

12-15-2005 15:34:18 | More by BuckeyeNation
UncleFlip

Alabama

4.2/5  rDev +32.5%

In the glass, it looks like a BMC, with a slightly darker colour.. Head is large and tight, and quickly reduces to half original size.. No sign of bubbles rising in the glass.

Smell is light and airy, with hints of spice and banana, and on odd green apple overtone. (Are we sure we're not in Ephemere land?) There's even a slight hint of olive in the aroma.

The banana flavour hits right up front with a definite lambic context- more lambic than banana. There are hints of mango and papaya deep in the flavour. It's more pungent than I expected, but pleasantly so.

Very little carbonation right up front- andthe body is slightly thicker than on some lambics I've had in the past.

I find thei one very drinkable, if you're in the mood for this sort of thing. It's a bit sweeter than some lambics, but again, not unpleasantly so. This one was better than I thought it would be.

Be well
-UF

07-30-2005 03:56:06 | More by UncleFlip
goodbyeohio

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

appearance: fizzy and light brown beer with absolutely no beery yellow touches. a color i can honestly say i've never seen in a beer. carbonation is high and generates alot of billowing, empty foam.

aroma: bananaey, but not quite. like fruit without its sweetness or starch. smells like a banana slim fast or banana now and later. interesting. maybe its the lambic sourness cancelling sweet.

taste: wow. banana sweetness sure is there, and paired with an appley tartness and champagne carb, this beer approaches soft drink territory. tasty and odd. is it what i expected? i dont know. it tastes good and i have nothing to compare it to. i'm going high on the numbers because i enjoyed it completely, especially its khaki color. i will lower this review if someone gives me more banana lambics to stand this up against.

dont know why people hate this beer.

06-06-2005 22:21:09 | More by goodbyeohio
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%

I've been so intrigued by this beer since I knew it existed, I had to get it when I saw it. It pours a light straw color with a billowing head that falls to a finger over top. The nose is musty and funkey from the lambic and banana sweet. This is pretty much what I expected from the beer. It is after all a banana lambic. The flavor is full of banana initially, moving to a rind-like flavor, almost a banana peel, on the finish. I would like to see a bit more of the funky sour carry through to balance with the big sweet banana on the start and the rind character on the finish. It is interesting to say the least. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. The beer is okay. The somewhat cloying sweetness on the initial sip is a bit overwhelming. I don't particularly like the harhsness on the finish. Still, it is what was exected from a banana beer. I respect them for taking the chance on making a beer like this.

06-05-2005 04:50:48 | More by kmpitz2
clvand0

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +30.9%

Pours a light amber color with a tall head and nice retention and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma has tons of bananas with a little bit of spice and a little bit of funk. The flavor is very interesting. Tons of banana flavors with just a hint of funkiness. Lots of creamyness with the banana. The mouthfeel on this one is moderate to thick and the drinkability is really good. It seems that most people really don't like this beer, but I love the banana flavors and think this is a very good shot at something new to most people. There are a few things that could be improved, but I really think this is an interesting and an on-the-edge brew.

06-05-2005 04:46:32 | More by clvand0
allengarvin

2.25/5  rDev -29%

Fairly clear amber color, good initial head, though it falls quickly. Aroma is very banana-ish, no lambic-specific tartness detectable. On first taste... Banana flavor hits you smack in the face like a sack of, er, bananas. Overwhelming, very sweet, bananas. Only slightly acidic, with lambic character not much in evidence. Nice amount of carbonation, with a light, tingly mouthfeel.

I'm a huge fan of lambics, but this beer holds none of the delights that draw me toward the style. Bleagh, not recommended unless you're crazy about banana.

05-25-2005 03:25:41 | More by allengarvin
LPorter33

2.68/5  rDev -15.5%

Purchased single bottle for $6.95 from tiny liquor store at corner of Devonshiire and State.

Appearance = clear, bubbily, highly carbonated golden peach. big white fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell = Pure shot of overpowering banana with some sweetness added in. Can't really smell much else. It smells exactly like banana bread with a tinge of sourness.

Taste = First an explosion of sweetness with a massive overdose of banana. Then an overwhelming bread like, grain like aftertaste. I think the analogy of drinking banana bread is nearly perfect.

Overall = I'm not a huge lambic fan but I do love bananas. I think this is an interesting beer to sample a bit of, but I would not want to drink more than one. It's much too sweet for my tastes and the strong yeast like aftertaste can get annoying. I did enjoy the strong banana flavor though. Mildly recommended for lambic fans.

04-08-2005 22:52:39 | More by LPorter33
UncleJimbo

3.18/5  rDev +0.3%

Sampled from a bottle at The Sunset Grill in Boston.

This "lambic" poured a clear, light yellow color with creamy, white foam that persisted fairly long. The smell was banana, followed by a sour, wild, lactic, horseblanket, brettanomyces aroma. This was a somewhat odd juxtaposition of smells. The taste was lightly sweet with the flavor of banana bread or baked bananas followed by a tart and somewhat wild sourness. A note of coconut was detected as well. The mouthfeel was tart and mildly sweet and wild all at once. The body was medium-light with moderate carbonation. This was an odd beer. It was a bit too sweet for my tastes (and I presume for most hardcore lambic fans), but yet it was not so sweet that the lambic flavors and feels did not come through. You do need to be a banana lover to like this beer.

03-22-2005 03:53:39 | More by UncleJimbo
Skidz

Wisconsin

12 oz champagne mini bottle, corked and capped.

Pours out bright pale straw and sits a light gold, tinted peach in the glass with a frothy white head being fed by a thick stream of bubbles. Head fades slowly to a light skim a few lacings fall around the glass.

Aroma is nice and musty with a thick oak presence. Chalky banana flesh mingles with a ligh, soured aroma of lemons, grapes and crab apples. Very mild leathery aroma, dry and dusty.

Tastes sugary sweet up front but is balanced off with an even sourness. I'm reminded of a particular flavor of Jelly Bellies, Butter Popcorn (one of my favorites), this just seems a little odd. Soft notes of bananas meld with sweetened fruity flavors of apples and grapes, holding bits of skin-induced sourness. Dry wooden flavors hide in the background, offering a bit of old-world, musky flavor. Finish holds on to the fruity sweetness, rather candylike sweetness and is partially dry, but lacking in depth.

Smooth yet crisp in the mouth, lightly effervescent. Quite easy to handle and a suitable feel for what it holds.

I couldn't have imagined this to taste any different. As far as getting a good banana flavor into a lambic, they've done quite well. I actually enjoyed this, maybe it's because of my sweet tooth, but I can't find much fault with it. I'll say that it lacks a lot in terms of the traditional lambic mustiness, but it has it's own place and is well made as a banana flavored beer. This would make for a great dessert beer.

03-14-2005 04:06:45 | More by Skidz
dauss

Colorado

1.6/5  rDev -49.5%

Presentation: Small 25cl bottle. Plain label with a banana on the cover. Best before date printed on the back. August 23, 2005. Ingredients: Water, malt, wheat, hop, yeast, sugar, flavour, juice of banana(min 4%). Didn't know there was banana juice.

Appearance: No head formation, even after a very hard pour. Large bubbles disappeared quickly. Very clear light golden yellow.

Smell: Definitely belgian sour funkyness going on. Barnardy smell. Strong ripe banana smell, but not like an estery banana. More like the banana flavor found in candy, Runts or Laffy Taffy.

Taste: Starts very sweet. Easily overpowers any acidity this beer might have. Light carbonation(but it may be because of the hard pour), very strong and sweet banana taste. A hint of acidity reveals itself in the finish. This must be sweeter than regular soda.

Notes: Gross, is this beer? I like drinking soda, but this is even too sweet for me. I like bananas, but it shouldn't be in a beer. Leaves that filmy mouthfeel you get after eating a banana.

02-22-2005 23:57:22 | More by dauss
Wildman

3.35/5  rDev +5.7%

Okay, this is a new style of lambic for me, that is for sure. This beer poured a pale clear yellow color and formed a very small bubbly white head that left trace lace as it subsided. No carbonation present outside of the small head. An aroma like lambics with the barnyard/grass elements with of course the banana that this one contains. The flavor is similar with lambic style with a medium light taste of banana. The finish was tart and a touch astrigent. Really not my style for a lambic but just had to try it.

02-17-2005 02:37:05 | More by Wildman