Chapeau Framboise Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

good

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chapeau Framboise Lambic Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.02/5  rDev +12%

Pours a rasberry jammy rust and amber. Very quick head that disappears right after the pour. One bubble a second. The aroma is a a great tart rasberry preserve mixed with some grany smith apples with just a touch of gypsum. The first sip is apple and pineapple tart with a very big splash of dark rasberries. The palate is just a litle wax and sticky. But that is just perfect for a fruit lambic beer. (401 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

Good head and excellent lace. Very red and nearly brown. Cloudy with a lot of sentiment!

The overall smell is mainly sweet. The aroma reminds me of sour raspberry jam.

The flavor is very sweet. Reminds me of a cherry lifesaver. Frankly, it's too sweet to me, I think it could use some sour counter-balance. The sourness shows up only in the aftertaste. (355 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -19.5%

This was my first trip into the world of lambics, and I gather that they are an acquired taste.

Cap and cork to open it up. Poured pretty thick into the glass with a murky brown color and little to no head. Smell was of fresh raspberries with an acidic bite. Tasted like fruit juice with alcohol in it, really acidic and effervescent fruit juice. Could definitely perceive the sourness of the lactic yeast coming through which seemed to fight with the pectins and acid in the raspberries. This one was a tough one to drink for me, but I'd like to try others before I give up on the style. Won't be my last lambic. (616 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: A dark brown with a strong hint of red. A small head forms and then quickly dissipates. It appears slightly cloudy, nothing impressive in my book.

Smell: Sweet and floral with an overwhelming raspberry scent. I am biased toward the smell of raspberries, while it smells delicious the aroma isn’t as raspberry filled as I would like.

Taste: The first thing that hits my tongue is sweet followed by a strong tartness. The raspberry is defiantly there but to me it isn’t the dominant flavor, the tartness is. I do like the way this tastes, and it reminds me of Lindemans.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy with plenty of little bubbles. It has a definite soda like quality and I personally find it too thick for the mood I am in.

Drinkability: A bit too acidic for my tastes and a bit too thick. I would possibly be able to drink a 2nd 12 ounce bottle but I am not sure (and I do not have one so it is a moot point).

I need to compare this head to head with lindemans to get a better judge of what I think of it as it is similar. (1,054 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Candied raspberry red with pinkish orange highlights when backlit with morning sunshine. The pastel pink head is on the small side and looks like the heads on most fruit lambics that I've run across. It lacks any sort of interesting features and isn't tacky enough to deposit any lace.

The nose is wonderful and smells exactly like what it is: a raspberry-infused fruit beer that has been aged in oak. I could smell the sweet, tangy, bursting berry essence as soon as I poured, and it's even more appealing up close. If the flavor follows suit, this might be one of my favorites of the Chapeau line.

Framboise may be too sweet for some (in fact, I'm sure it is), but I love it. It's both immensely sugary sweet and terrifically teasingly tart at the same time. The latter keeps the former from being overwhelming. There's just enough oakiness to give it a hint of complexity and to identify it as a Brouwerij De Troch product.

If you like sweetened raspberries, what's not to like? As anticipated, I'm enjoying this offering as much as the banana and plum versions. I'm glad this is only a 12 ounce bottle, however, because it's slow going with so much sugar present. I don't usually find it necessary to sip such low ABV beer. Framboise would be great for dessert and would go well with a fudge brownie and/or vanilla bean ice cream.

It's not surprising that the mouthfeel is full and sticky. Those who enjoy sweet fruit beer will probably find a lot to like since this much sugar is bound to provide a viscous mouthfeel. Those who abhor sweet beer will probably hate it. Count me a member of the first camp. Drinkability... depends. I've decided to score it according to 'desirability of' rather than 'ease of'.

Chapeau Framboise Lambic isn't any sort of real lambic, but it is framboisy as all get out. Although it can't hold a candle to New Glarus Raspberry Tart, nothing else that I've ever had can either. It's too bad these De Troch beers are so expensive because delicious, mildly complex fruit beer isn't that easy to come by. (2,050 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - 1" purple tinted head. Falls to a ring quickly. No lace. Purple-red colored lambic.

S - Syrupy raspberry wrapped in funkiness.

T - Rich raspberry and sour lemon fruit. Acidic and tangy. Lots of funky wood.

D - Medium bodied round mouthfeel. Mid to high levels of carbonation. Sweet.

D - OK drinkabilty. (320 characters)

Appearance: Slightly hazy ruby-brown color, with a small white head, thick glass-coating lace, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Profound aroma of raspberry hard candy, with a must and earth note, also, but definitely secondary to the raspberry aromas.

Taste: Opens with a sharp, sweet candy-like raspberry flavor, again, much like raspberry hard candy, later in the taste there is a tangy, sour note, along with some barnyard and horse blanket notes, as is entirely appropriate for the lambic style. Towards the finish, even a flavor of raspberry seed manifests itself.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and quite full, with slight, soft carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A very nice example of the style. Comparison's of Chapeau Framboise Lambic with Lindeman's Framboise are inevitable. To me, Chapeau seems a bit more over-the-top than Lindeman's, but is, nonetheless, superbly crafted, and well worth a try. The only notable shortcoming is that the raspberry flavor seems a touch artificial, which I am sure it is not.

Sampled as a part of the "Night of Chapeau", with my friend and fellow BA HardTarget.

For BeerAdvocates seeking to interest ladies in craft-brewed beer, it should be noted that my fiancée and the lovely wife of my fellow BA HardTarget both liked this beer very much. (1,300 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Bottle: notes oak cask aging. When I pulled the cork, white carbonation bubbles seeped out of the bottom of the cork for a good long while, interesting.

Aroma: Rich fruit, mostly raspberry, raspberry seeds, some wet cork and a nice background Lambic funk gives a nice level of complexity.

Appearance: Very hazy red brown glass holds a tan/brown head.

Flavor: Tart! Great sweet-sour raspberry zing with a firm farmyard background to keep it from going cloy.

Mouthfeel: Almost creamy, good carbonation level, slight pucker

Overall Impression: Fruity dessert beer with a good lambic base. Even my wife liked it! Pick of the litter of the Chapeau beers.

Sampled as part of the “Night of Chapeau”, many thanks to Pegasus for assembling the 8 flavors. (767 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark rusty brick red color with a bubbly cola-like head. Nose is tart raspberries along with a faint musty yeastiness. Taste is sweet raspberry jam along with a strong tart and acidic raspberry flavor. Some barnyard funk is also apparent. Would pair well with some dark chocolate. (288 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -23.7%

Hazy, near opaque, purple red. No head formed, just a ring around the glass. In the nose, it's wholly sour-sweet raspberry. The fruit smell really comes through, though. The high point. Taste is very acidic, with notes of oak, slight horseblanket, with of course an extreme raspberry flavor. It is sweet, but not to the point of cloying. Leaves a sweetness on the lips, but an uncomfortable acid burn in the throat. It's smooth an relatively light. More carbonation would be a plus. Overall, the high acidity just kills me, and makes even 6 oz more of a fight than a pleasure. (576 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

A- The bottle was capped with an over sized bottle cap, and under the cap was a cork. The beer poured a brownish red with pink hints....thin reddish white head, and light lacing.
S- Strong raspberry (as expected), other red fruit (maybe cherry or other berries), and a little oak.
T- Rich raspberry....very sweet, but the tartness of the raspberry is a nice contrast(and a very nice aftertaste). Light coco hints. This would be perfect with chocolate or as a desert all my itself.
M/D- Fairly thick body, almost syrupy. Moderate carbonation. Not something to drink everyday, but very nice on occasion. (604 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +10%

A very attractive appearance. Deep, deep red with no room for hues. Large, copious head which would persist and leave delicate lacing. Aroma of raspberries and lambic yeast. Very nice. A gentle tartness in the aftertaste. Not as sweet as others in the raspberry game! Even using the word 'juice' implies too sweet or sugary, this was a very authentic fruit-lambic. Flavour is strong as well. A striking authentic feature to this one. Surprisingly heavy mouthfeel for a fruit beer (especially one of only 3%) Very impressed and rate this very high for a fruit beer. (564 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

This lambic has a truly dark red/amber color. It has a small but long lasting head and great lacing. Its clarity is cloudy to very cloudy depending on how it is poured, since their is a great yeast cake sitting on the bottom.

It has an almost overwhelming smell of rasberries almost like a rasberry candy.

The inital taste as it hits your tongue is full of distinct rasberries, however as it hits the back of your tongue you get the distinct sourness that only a lambic can offer.

Its carbonation is slighly low, but appropriate due to the high sourness flavor.

The only downfall I see in this lambic is the aftertaste is almost like you just ate a Vitamin C--very acid like. I found the best way to resolve this is to have another sip! :)

I highly recommend anyone to try this beer if they have never tasted a lambic. (834 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

Purchased bottle in Summerville, South Carolina at Bill's Liquor store on sale for 2.50 marked down from 4.95. Figure for the price this was a good oppportunity to try my first Lambic. Bottle came capped and corked. Poured a cloudy light brown color. Rasberry smell hit me immediately. Small carbonated head with long lasting lacing. Sweet first taste followed by malt adn then finishes with an oak after taste. Light mouthfeel. To me it is the perfect balance of wine and beer. Good to drink on a hot summer evening. (517 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours an earthy purple-pinkish color with a pink head that rises about an inch and fizzles leaving an impressive 1/8" head that lasts a good while.

The aroma is wonderful! Winey rasberry, sharp, borderline pungent.

The taste is equally as nice a surprise. Huge fruit (!), so full in flavor that it qualifies as a complete dessert in a bottle. The mouthfeel has a heavy-ish body, sweet and very fruity with a slight malt edge and a hearty amount of carbonation keeping all the weight of this beer moving across the tongue.

Towards the end there is a slight musk.. it's not as forward as it can be in some examples of the style. It actually goes quite nicely with the sweet fruit flavors, backing them up more than competing with them.

I would love one of these after dinner. It is too far into the sweet and heavy side for a casual session. Very good for what it is though. (885 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +5%

Dark brown color, tinted slightly red, with a tan head. Aroma is strongly strawberry, with some nice musty lambic scent. Very sweet raspberry flavor, but no particular lambic flavors apart from acidic tartness. High carbonation and a spritzy mouthfeel.

I enjoy sweetened lambics, though I prefer a more traditional one. This one is not bad, but not much stands out compared to Belle-vue, Lindemans, or Liefmans, unfortunately the most common varieties in stores in the US. (475 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a deep burgundy with a brownish tint with a decent sticky head,aroma is mainly of reat tart fresh raspberries pretty appetizing.Taste is pretty acidic of tart fresh picked raspberries with a hint of woodiness in the finish,a good balance of sweetness and acidity.A nice easy drinking raspberry lambic not an everyday thing for me but this one I really liked. (364 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

The beer poured hazy ruby brown color with little head, make that no head. The aroma when first poured had a slight skunk to it. After a few minutes of warming the aroma of raspberries and lambic are noticeable. Also present is a cork aroma. The flavor is raspberries and slight sourness. The finish is raspberry and dry. The body is very light and the beer very flat. The drinkability is good.

This beer does not have the attributes I normally associate with a lambic. It is fairly one dimensional.

Heavy 12.7 ounce green bottle. Had a large crown cap and a cork underneath. Lots of dark sediment in bottom of bottle. (625 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Is this a beer? I don't know if it is, but I do know that this tastes good. Has a very strong raspberry taste to it. Very crisp texture. Starts out tarty but eventually becomes sweeter and finishes very sweet. I liked it a lot for a change of pace. Good for a dessert. However it's too expensive to buy often. (309 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Color is a dark, hazy raspberryish red, with a small, if extant at all, head. Aroma speaks a different story: vast, sharp and tart, and all raspberry. Got to give it to De Troch, they can nail a flavor! It's all there and it's all reaspberry! Full-on flavor, too, very sweet, though many will discredit a sweet beer, or an un-sour lambic, for that matter. I think it's fine, though not near the best.
Encompasses as interesting region of brew, for which we take a vacation from the consideration of other beers. Hops, malt, body, texture, etcetera, don't play as important a part as they might elsewhere, and we suspend our judgement. It's a light, dessert beer, and tastes of fruit, doing that job quite well. And it's good for that, too! (740 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a clear reddish orange with a white clingy dissipating head and a moderate mouthfeel. The smell is tart and winey with overwhelming raspberry. The taste is very slightly sour with SWEET raspberry- very much like a jolly rancher candy. An okay framboise that would definitely benefit from having the sweetness toned back quite a bit. (348 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear, reddish orange Framboise Lambic, with a white, clingy, dissipating head. The smell is most definitely raspberry (fancy that!). The taste too is raspberry, with a thick sweetness, slight malt, and a very light sour finish. The body was thin to firm in my mouth. Overall, this was a bit too sweet for me, but still relatively good for a Framboise Lambic (there are others I prefer over this one).

(source: Frugal Scot; Fernandina Beach, FL) (450 characters)

I can't see through the "Purple Haze", little purplish head and some lace. Ripe raspberry nose, sweet, the front cloyingly sweet, the top skeletal, finish is sour chased by the sweetness, light acidity, but the best I've tasted from this brewery, I can at least drink this one. As not to appear totally negative in relation to this breweries beer, I think they would make decent “Desert” beers and many might like the fruity sweetness. (437 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

I had a choice of fruits and raspberry is my favorite jam, so...

Cap and a cork on the bottle. Opaque and murky maple syrup color, some dark chunks. Initial carbonation was gone pretty soon, little to no head. Very raspberry aroma. Flavor is of fruit but was very fresh. I could almost taste the seeds and some stems. Medium body, a little cloying but there was minimal beer quality other than a slight malt muskiness in taste and up the nasal passages. Astringent at finish. Because there was no over-sweetness to it, I'll give this Lambic a head's up on a lot of American Fruit/Wheat brews. I tried to give it a medium high score as my skills at evaluating Lambics are minimal. Not a beer for me but its fun to taste unique styles in the world of beer. (757 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +17%

in my attempt to introduce my girlfriend to the wide world of beer, i suggested she try a lambic, as she likes a variety of fruit beers and i also had never tried a lambic. i found this beer very satisfying. a very cloudy, juicy looking concoction that had a wonderful raspberry aroma. it tasted sweet like juice, with a slight tartness that was appealing. i wouldn't want to drink more than one or two due to the sweetness, but it would be delicious for breakfast. i look forward to trying others within the style and will occasionally buy different ones to experiment with. (580 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast