Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Chapeau Faro Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Faro LambicChapeau Faro Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Faro |  4.75% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or bottling information present. Acquired this dusty bottle at the local Sal's for $4.99 on sale. My first encounter with a Faro style beer, and based on it's current ratings, I'm not expecting much out of this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark ruby red liquid; flat, with no conjuration of head, and lots of fat dark yeast chunks sinking to the bottom of the glass. I usually always pour the sedimentation into my glass, but I wish I hadn't with this one. Excuse me while I find my strainer. 2.5

S - The smell is of strong vinegary acidity; more than likely oxidized. A slight alcohol note appears as well. It smells similar to some of the awful kombucha beers I've tried. 2.5

T - Not tart or sour in any way - just more vinegar acidity, rubbing alcohol, white sugar, and some indistinct fruitiness. I've never used the descriptor of 'cloyingly sweet' before, but the shoe definitely fits this one. 2

M - The feel is sticky, sugary, and vinegary. Again, cloyingly sweet / sugary. 2

Overall, probably the worst representation of an authentic lambic style beer that I've yet tried. Absolutely no redeeming qualities to this one whatsoever. I look forward to trying a more accurate representation of this style sometime soon. Avoid avoid avoid.

Chapeau Faro Lambic -----2/5.

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber pour, thin white lacing that leaves little traces on the glass.
Smell of brown sugar caramel, damp woody barrel, some vinegar, very faint raisin, dry lemon peel and faint marzipan.
Huge sweetness, but the following apple cidery tartness cleans up the palate a bit, leaving just a tiny trace of sticky caramel. Later on the sweetness covers up the sourness tho. Hints of sour cherries, apple juice and faint vinegar. Even fainter lambic funk, with a bit of funky wood but way too low (if any) green hay.
Low carbonation, oily, with a sticky sweet aftertaste.
People with a sweet tooth will enjoy this, tasty candi sugar, but probably way too syrupy sweet for most of the people.

2.25/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12.7 fl oz green glass (ugh... bottle with appealing label art and fun branded white/green pry-off pressure cap over an internally housed branded cork acquired at a local Texas bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the style. Reviewed as a faro because the label clearly identifies it as such. Cost was $7.99 USD. Imported by Noble Union Trading Ltd.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours no real head whatsoever, but there is a fleeting surface bubble mass which is white in colour and disappears inside 10 seconds. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes, and I can't get any to stick by tilting the glass.

Body colour is a very dark amber of poor vibrance. Littered with abundant floating yeast particles; this clearly is unfiltered. Semitranslucent. Nontransparent.

It's not a great appearance for a faro. I can't say I'm horribly excited to try it based on the appearance alone. Far from unique or special.

Sm: Has a simple clean lactic and bacterial sourness along with some simple candi/cane sugar. Sweetness is evident and cuts the sourness. I pick up hints of cardboard, lychee, and berries. Also an inexplicable marshmallow note. Is this infected, perhaps?

An inoffensive aroma of average strength.

No hop character, overt malts, or alcohol is detectable.

T/Mf: Definitely a dessert beer. Loaded with candi sugar. I also get a plump berry sweetness. Luckily this never ventures into medicinal territory. I do pick up some faint hints of cardboard and marshmallow on the fringe; I doubt this would age well. There's a light sourness which seems almost entirely lactobacillus-derived; I'd like more sourness. It's a bit cidery and apple cider vinegary.

I pick up definite off-notes, including some chemical-esque notes, general rot, imposing wood, some solvent, and macerated cork (which may be the source of that cardboard note). This has some basic quality issues.

Acidity is a bit higher than you'd expect as a result. It's sticky. A bit too thick. Has decent body. Bad presence on the palate overall. Well-carbonated. Smooth and wet. Unrefreshing. The texture suits the taste in a general sense, but doesn't feel tailored specifically to this profile.

It's not a balanced brew, nor it a gestalt one. Lacks cohesion. One of the messiest faros I've ever had. Some elements work and some elements don't. Lacks subtlety, complexity, intricacy, and nuance.

Not oily, gushed, astringent, hot, or boozy.

No hop profile, malt character, or alcohol comes through.

Dr: Probably the most forgettable faro I've tried in the last couple years. I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners. I'll finish the bottle fairly easily, but the lackluster quality makes it difficult to enjoy. Not Troch's finest work. I'd advise steering clear of this one.

High D

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

No head on a very clear copper body. No lace either. Aroma of pungent turpentine, nail polish remover, candied fruit, apricot, resins. Flavor is tough at first, need a little preparation with the flavor being very bitter sweet with tart candied citrus, caramel, pine resin. Light body and carbonation. First faro for me. Not a fan. Too sweet and syrup like. Can't really judge it for the style

3.44/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear yellow in color with some hues of amber and no visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thick collar around the edge of the glass and a large patch of bubbles on the surface.
S: Light aromas of fruits are present in the nose—figs stand out in particular—along with notes of sugar cane and hints of oak.
T: The taste is quite sweet and has flavors of raw cane sugar along with notes of figs and oak.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a low amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is sweet, but the sweetness is not cloying so it isn't that difficult to drink. It tastes like a sweetened lambic without that much in the way of fruity flavors.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

375ml corked bottle. Just arrived at my store today and since beers like this tend to get polarized reviews, I thought it best if I sample it myself so I can give my Beer Club a straight review. Poured into a small wine goblet glass, as it's all I have on hand at work.

AP: Colour looks like if you liquefied and diluted a Gingersnap cookie. Head was only 1/4", but it's a small glass. Slight lacing on the sides.
AR: Raisin, brown sugar, candi sugar, funky Belgian yeast, a bit of cider. There's also a doughy bready aspect as well. Doesn't smell like it will be that sweet.
T: This is nicely balanced. Not too sweet nor too tart/sour. First taste is tart apple with some pear behind it. A slight cider (to me it's definitely more cider like than vinegar) nuance lingers throughout. The brown and candi sugars are subtle and seem to serve more to balance the sour. A taste of raisin bread comes into play. The finish is cidery and clean. I rather like this.
M: Crisp and clean on the palate like a decent Sour/Lambic should be. A bit creamy in mid palate and the finish is slightly dry and cleansing.
OV: This is the second Faro Lambic (Lindemans being the other) I've had and I've enjoyed them both. This is well balanced between the sweet and sour, the flavours blend well together though none of them are bold. This is a good sipping beer. Like I said, beers like this tend to be polarizing and I'm glad to be on the side that can appreciate this beer.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 350 ml bottle into a fluted glass. This pours a brownish color with a small fizzy extremely short lived off white head (only a few seconds, perhaps the shortest lived I've ever seen). It smells of vinegar, funk and a little sugar malts. The feel is thinish. The taste is okay, you get some funk, sour notes, vinegar with a load of sugar to combat everything but way too sweet.

2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

From: Sal's Liquors, Addison, IL
Date: None
Glass: Drie Fonteinen gueuze glass

De Troch's faro is a dark take on the style, perhaps the darkest of the three faros I have been able to try. The result of using all that amber candi sugar is a very sweet and easy drinking faro: there will be no problem enjoying this as a sweet and slightly tart, not-too-complex, easy-drinking beer. Not sure if I'd seek it out again, as Lindeman's faro is more readily available and more robust in flavor, but this was an average, but still very drinkable, faro.

Pours virtually no head, just a few wisps of off-white foam that quickly dissipate, leaving no lacing. Body is amber-red in color, the color of dark red wood stain when out of light, red-brown-orang when in. Carbonation is minimal, but what little there is, is visible in the transparent body.

Aroma is slightly sweet, musty, moldy, and mushroomy, with the slightest bit of dried lemon tartness. Not a very strong aroma, nor particularly interesting when noticed.

Tasting opens with Belgian brown candi sugar sweetness, slight oak and aged oak mulch, very light lemon tartness, opening up mid-palate to oak barrel, sweet candi sugar, and slight vinegar flavors and tanginess. When the beer reaches the back of the palate, there is more noticeable tartness with some light dried lemon and continued strong Belgian brown candi sugar. Aftertaste features a lingering light tartness on the back of the palate and throat, with some residual brown candi sugar sweetness.

Beer is light to light-medium in body with minimal carbonation, a bit watery, resulting in the beer moving fairly slowly, but still enjoyably so on the palate. Finish is expectedly dry, from sugar and acids.

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this 375ml green, corked and capped bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $4.99. Never had a "faro" before so I looked it up to see what it is. Turns out to be a blend of part lambic beer and part non-lambic light beer that has a boatload of sugar added to it (either brown sugar, molasses, or caramel).

The beer poured out a mostly clear, dirty penny copper color that made just a short lived off-white rim for a head and left no lacing. Lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles rise quickly to the top, but it's also loaded with unattractive floating particles.

It has that nice sour lambic smell to it, plus some sweet sugars.

Sweet, but not as sweet as other reviewers make it out to be. It has a great puckering sour apple flavor to it along with tart baking cherries to help tame the generous amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. More than enough tartness to balance out the sugar. I thought it was delicious.

Anazingly light for a beer this sweet, and despite all the bubbles in it, I thought the carbonation level was on the low side.

Probably a good accompaniment to any fruit pie, but I enjoyed it all by itself as well. I'll be back for more of this.

1.29/5  rDev -61.6%

Bottle from a place void of joy. Poured into a slender-ish Rare Vos glass.

Soft, brittle inch of white foam. Color & clarity of Lipton iced tea.

Smells of vinegar & caramel aged in a bucket made of wood.

Tastes of cider vinegar spiked with loads of white table sugar. Cream soda, Sweet Tarts, lime, & popsicle sticks.

The texture of carbonated syrup. Sort of like a Shirley Temple.

I have such a headache.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%

No freshness dating on the bottle.

A= When I popped the top the cork bubbled on top which made me a little nervous. The pour however was at first a little dead but soon livened up to a quality level of carbonation on the beer with a small hea that dies fast. Typical of most lambic styles.

S= The smell is your typical sour beer with a bit of a deep barrel flavor and overlying sweetness.

T= The taste is again the deep sourness with an overlying sweetness that takes it over. The barrel flavor is deminished and the sweetness is a little hard to deal with. The sourness is good but a bit over taken by the sweetness. The taste is mostly a sweet cherry flavor.

M= The mouth is a bit flat. I usually deal with more lively lambic.

O= This is my first faro and it's not bad. A little too sweet but it has good flavor. I would for sure try other faros but I may not try this one again.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer has a slightly dense iced tea brown body with big bubbles forming a ring that fades. There are big bubbles that gently glide to the surface at the edge of the glass.

S- The old damp wood aroma has a very light tartness with some dark fruity sweet notes to and a very faint cherry vinegar hint in the finish.

T- The soft tart wood note fades to a candy sweet finish with a touch of tartness that is overpowered. There is a slight cola hint in the finish aswell.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight zippy note that doesn't do enough to cut the sweetness.

O- I like this a bit better than soda pop but it is in the same camp. The sweetness gets to be a bit to much after half a glass, but it is still a bit softer than other faros I have had. My wife, who only drinks diet coke, enjoyed this beer.

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

375ml Freenet glass cork and capped champagne bottle. Bought at Knightly spirits OBT, Orlando, FL. No date.

Pours crystal-clear brown without and head. Nose is like red wine vinegar and sugar-in-the-raw. Palate is sickly sweet. Tastes like sugar-coated tobacco leaves. Earthy and raw. Not a pleasant beverage at all. (I like funk and sours, but this was a drain-poured...undrinkable.)

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Fairly deep amber. Ample off white head. Quite a bit of floaties, I don't think it was poured very carefully.

Vinuous fruit aroma, brown sugar. A bit of red wine vinegar.

A nice tartness up front. Gets pretty sweet after that, candied and brow sugar. Very ripe red fruits.

It is sweet, but not as bad as I was expecting. Drinkable, you just have to be ready for it.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle into Perfect Pint.

A: Not much of an off white head, dissipates immediately with very little lacing. Otherwise, a slightly hazy brandy body with plenty of medium-flocculating dark brown floaties.

S: Very cidery...mostly acetic, not lactic, acid. Sweet, some wild yeast characteristics--horse blanket, funk, the usual. Pretty good nose.

T: A bit too sweet, and very much apple-flavored. There's a touch of barnyard, but not much. Overall, alright--what I expected.

M: This would be nice with some more carbonation...it's on the low end. The body is a bit thin, almost watery.

D: To me, faro is the stepping stone between fruity lambics and the good stuff. I think this falls into that category, but just barely. It's sweet, but not overwhelmingly saccharine, and the tartness helps that.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours an amber color without much of a head except for a ring around the outside of the glass. Some spotty lacing.

Red wine vinegar, black grape, silage and sour apple notes are all present.

Very sweet and quite tart. Sour cherry and apple, honey, vinegar and red wine grapes. Decent complexity.

Not much carbonation at all here. Even so, I actually kind of like it with the taste. Lighter body that is smooth and kind of slick.

I have to say that I really dig the flavor here. Apart from that, I think the beer is just above average overall. This makes me want to seek out more lambics as this one seems to be rated quite a bit lower.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

$5 bottle with a pop cap and cork too....
A: Pours a transparent brown color with a tiny tiny head that dissipates immediately

S: Overripe/almost rotting fruit (in a good way), champagne, raisin, fig, dates. Pretty much an overall apple cider vinegar nose

T: Whoa, extremely sweet. Lots and lots of fruits, overripe and dark. Lots of champagne yeast notes, and very very vinous in general. Also tart fruit

MF/D: smooth feel to it, low carbonation, and anything but dry.

Notes: Possibly the most unique beer I've had to date

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a wine glass.

Faro numero dos. Who'da thunk it, eh? W0rd. It pours a clear tawny amber topped by a fleeting half-finger of glowing off-whit foam. The nose comprises funky oak, light sour cherries, rum raisin cake, dank greens, brown sugar, and light white vinegar. Sweet and sour sauce ain't got shit on this, what! The taste does away with most of the sour notes, though some very subtle vinegar and tart black cherries remain fairly unfazed. The grand coalition, though, is composed of the brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, maple syrup, and candi sugar. The body is a smooth medium, with a light carbonation and a slightly sticky finish. Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect here, but this was overtly drinkable. I want more.

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Served in a wine glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me share in this since I had no desire to buy it on my own.

This beer pours a deep orangish amber hue with no head. The smell is of oak, rum raisin, bit of vinegar and cheddar cheese for some reason. The taste is a bit of white grape, some oak flavor, and raisin (without the rum). The taste isn't foul, but it's kinda weak in my opinion. Has a nice light champagne feel to the palate and is pretty easy to drink. Not bad for something that I thought I wouldn't like. Though overall it by style is still more wine like than beer.

3.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7oz bottle into my Rodenbach Grand Cru glass....Light tan head, not much carbonation. The beer is a dark coca-cola, really likes like a pop more than a beer...nice aroma, vinegar, wood, tart cherries, just not overly strong wish it was more of a pucker and there is a weird musky finish...The taste is insanely weird, its balasmic vinegar but a really really really sweet version. First time a lambic has made me pucker from sweetness. Almost a liquid prune taste as well. Very unique, just not for me. A sweet oud bruin?

Interesting but tough to drink.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Thanks to Bobby for sharing this one.

A: The pour is an amber sort of color with a minimal off-white head that dissipates quickly.

S: A chemical/solvent aroma right off the bat with an intense candi sugar aroma and some sweet dark fruits.

T: The flavor has some decent dark fruit flavors in the form of plums, prunes, and figs, but again the same chemical character. A bit of cork, too.

M: The body is medium with a low to medium level of carbonation.

D: This beer could have actually been pretty decent if it wasn't for the chemical nature of it.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

The beer is mostly clear and see-through, with small chunks of sediment wandering aimlessly throughout the beer. The color is a light orange sunburst. The beer has a small head that leaves just a touch of lacing on the glass. The aroma is sweet and fruity, like a fruit juice. The beer tastes very sweet, though I suppose this was the intention. Personally, I can't fathom why one would take a sour beer and intentionally make it sweeter. To each their own. Surprisingly, the sweetness is not as cloying as I predicted. The body is medium-thin with a low level of carbonation. It was a fun experience, but I much prefer the traditional lambics over faros. From an objective standpoint, this was a pretty good beer.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle split with the other Matt, this officially (for now) shuts down the best of Faro list for me. Beer poured into a snifter.

Beer is clear and dark brown, forms a minimal head that doesn't last long. Carbonation low and there is no lacing on the glass. Looks fine.

Aroma is sweet and a little fruity, like apples.

I said this about the Lindemann's faro and its about the same for this, it tastes a little like apple juice. Its sweet and fruity, its not cloying but it does taste kind of like fruit juice. Beer is thin and has almost no carbonation in the mouth. It tastes fine its just sweet and nothing else, kind of boring. I'm sure this is what this beer is suppose to taste like but its just not that great. I'll keep trying faros, as possible as that will be but the two i've had so far have been rather unimpressive. I would however try this again if it were on draft somewhere.

2.36/5  rDev -29.8%

Tasted from bottle purchased at Binny's Lincoln Park. Pours a muddy brown-orange with an average white head that recedes to decent lace. Nose of nutty brown sugar with some funk and a smell similar to rye bread. Flavor is caramel with some toastiness, light funk, moderate sour flavors, and nuttiness. Body is medium with average carbonation and a short sour and nutty finish.

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

My first lambic, I'm doing it side-by-side with Lindeman's Faro. 12.7 oz capped and corked green bottle, no date. Cork says " De Troch Wambeek".

This one looks better. It pours with a bigger head that is also slightly darker. It recedes in odd intervals leaving no lacing. The beer is a bit browner and hazier than the Lindeman's with hues of magenta when light-struck.

The smel is quirky it definitely has a funk to it, though not the funk I usually associated with this beer. It has a must to it, maybe some brie cheese, also definitely some major oak in the scent, it also smells very sugary.

The taste is super sugary, with some rotten fruit taste, a hint of sourness (but way over powered by sweetness).

Very, very blunt this one is.

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch