Chapeau Faro Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Faro LambicChapeau Faro Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Faro |  4.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002)
Reviews by ali1987:

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a small goblet.

A: deep mahogany body, much more color than I expected, surprisngly opaque. little splotchy white head though i dont expect much from the style.

S: big sugary sweetness, some bbq musk, metal

T/M: big wave of sugar, kinda sticky. lots of fruit and candied fruit. reminiscent of a jolly rancher or lollipop. the metallic quality flashes mid palate, reminds me very much of a young flemish red. that iron quality is not something im used to in lambics. finishes sweet.

D: a nice warm weather palate starter kinda beer. i could see this being a great way to start a long evening of food and drinks. the sugar content inhibits much volumne but in the right context a cool beer.

overall only the second faro ive ever had so im far from an expert. this one was enjoyable but simple. to wet my appetite however, a nice beer.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Finally tracked down a faro. This one is a capped and corked 12.7oz bottle. Cork comes out with little sound. Pours into my glass a deep hazelnut color with hints of red and a quarter inch of off white foam atop. Carbonation seems mild. Aromas start with sour, somewhat funky woody tannins with cork and barrel accents. Sweet, almost fruity malt tones waft up as well. Dark sugar amidst some acidity. Intriguing if nothing else.

First sip is a rush of upfront sweetness that attacks the taste buds and honestly catches me off guard. Malty and fruity flavors flow down and play into the sourness that lurks in the background of the beer. Wood tannins and barrel accents float throughout. A touch of caramel and the lingering thought of a musty basement that comes to mind. An interesting, sweetened up lambic, that just ends up being too sweet for my personal tastes.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a smooth almost slick quality to it and mellow carbonation. It goes down easily enough. However, I personally am not a fan of the overbearing sweetness that pervades this brew. I need to try more Faro's before writing off the style, however of this one I can say I am not a fan overall.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my first Faro, so I have no idea how it relates to the style.

The beer pours a hazy brown color with a white head. The aroma is sugary with a lemon tartness. The flavor is a nice mix of lemony tartness and sweetness. Very similar to sweet-tart candy. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

An interesting beer. I doubt I will try too many more faros due to limited availability, but I thought this was a pretty good beer.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer has a slightly dense iced tea brown body with big bubbles forming a ring that fades. There are big bubbles that gently glide to the surface at the edge of the glass.

S- The old damp wood aroma has a very light tartness with some dark fruity sweet notes to and a very faint cherry vinegar hint in the finish.

T- The soft tart wood note fades to a candy sweet finish with a touch of tartness that is overpowered. There is a slight cola hint in the finish aswell.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight zippy note that doesn't do enough to cut the sweetness.

O- I like this a bit better than soda pop but it is in the same camp. The sweetness gets to be a bit to much after half a glass, but it is still a bit softer than other faros I have had. My wife, who only drinks diet coke, enjoyed this beer.

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

25 cl bottle purchased around Christmas in Bruges or Antwerp, can't remember. The beer poured a dense, brown body with a slight tan head. The nose was a bit acidic/vinegary but also a bit sweet on the nose. The taste is sweet up front but also is rounded out nicely by the acidic taste. Not as sweet as other faros that I have had. Very good.

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

Originally reviewed November 23, 2006. 33cL Bottle. Yeast muddle orange and amber, plum fringed, with a rim of white. light aroma of rotting white grapes, with a meaty squeek. Faint lambic edges of oak and sour lactic. Lightly revolting. Sickly sweet white grape candy and some rotting citrus in teh bottom of the fridge dorr. Some dripping honeyish notes, lots of ogrape skins. Far away a grassy wash of lost hop memories. Light efferevesce, but overall destructively sweet and nasty.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

Fairly deep amber. Ample off white head. Quite a bit of floaties, I don't think it was poured very carefully.

Vinuous fruit aroma, brown sugar. A bit of red wine vinegar.

A nice tartness up front. Gets pretty sweet after that, candied and brow sugar. Very ripe red fruits.

It is sweet, but not as bad as I was expecting. Drinkable, you just have to be ready for it.

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours out a muddy, murky looking brown. Weird. Not much of a head and just a touch of lace. Smells really worty and of big dark, fruits. Kind of has a vitamin-y smell to it. Some balsamic vinegar and citric acid as well. Taste is really sweet up front with some balsamic and woodiness making its way into the middle. Don't really pick up much coriander, if any. Has a dried fruit thing going on. Nice balancing acidity in the finish, but it isn't enough to fully counter-balance the huge sweetness. Mouthfeel is kind of light and spritzy but with a definite syrupyness. Kind of sticks to the tongue. Drinkability is ok. Just too sweet for me.

THX 2 hamburgah for the sample.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tawny brown liquid. Fizzy sizzle when poured, that settles to a skim fairly quickly. No visible carbonation, which is a little strange. Very uniform color, looks like sun tea.

Saccharin aroma, artificial sweetness, very vague mustiness, probably from the cork. Bland...

Very light and sweet tartness with the first big sip. Nutty, a little bit of undetermined fruit. Low carbonation. Light cardboard in the aftertaste, but it's not a deal breaker. This has been around the area only a few months, so I don't think it's an old bottle. It's actually pretty similar to the Kvass I had a few weeks ago. Very sweet, barely tart, light bodied.

Ehh, give me a real lambic anyday. This just tastes like a sweet soda drink, and at $7 I won't be going back to it.

2.08/5  rDev -38.3%

This is my first Faro. I was pretty excited for this.

Brown color with minimal head and very little carbination.

Nothing to the smell. Very bland and oderless.

Way way to sweet. It tasted more like a sweet soda than a beer. It reminded me of a flat gaurana soda.

This was a drain pour. The first one in a while. I could not even finish the glass. Not reccomended at all.

1.53/5  rDev -54.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark burgundy color lambic with a small foamy head with light retention and no lacing. Aroma of syrup and sugar is somewhat gross with light oak notes and no funky notes. Taste is also dominated by gross sugar and syrup with limited complexity from the oak or the base lambic. Body is full with minimal complexity and a minimal carbonation.

1.78/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 375ml green bottle with a capped cork into my NBB glass. No dating info and green bottle so hoping it's OK. Can't say that I've been really dying to try this one after reading the reviews but trying to have at least one of each style so here goes my Faro sample. Was a very hazy brown color with some dark red highlights. It had a very small fizzy head that disappeared before I was done pouring. Good carb streams in center. No lacing.

The aroma was very sweet. Candied sugar, brown sugar, a little woody and vinegar as well. Didn't blend well for me. The taste was painfully sweet. Like drinking a liquid Sweettart or something. Eye puckering sweet and tart. I love sour beers so no problem with taste extremes but this was too much. Was so hard to get around the sweet that you couldn't really taste anything else.

Overall, god awful. Way too sweet with no other redeeming flavors. Now I know why there are only 13 of these in the database - can't be much demand for it. Avoid and definitely one and done...but at least I got Faro off the list.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this 375ml green, corked and capped bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $4.99. Never had a "faro" before so I looked it up to see what it is. Turns out to be a blend of part lambic beer and part non-lambic light beer that has a boatload of sugar added to it (either brown sugar, molasses, or caramel).

The beer poured out a mostly clear, dirty penny copper color that made just a short lived off-white rim for a head and left no lacing. Lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles rise quickly to the top, but it's also loaded with unattractive floating particles.

It has that nice sour lambic smell to it, plus some sweet sugars.

Sweet, but not as sweet as other reviewers make it out to be. It has a great puckering sour apple flavor to it along with tart baking cherries to help tame the generous amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. More than enough tartness to balance out the sugar. I thought it was delicious.

Anazingly light for a beer this sweet, and despite all the bubbles in it, I thought the carbonation level was on the low side.

Probably a good accompaniment to any fruit pie, but I enjoyed it all by itself as well. I'll be back for more of this.

1.25/5  rDev -62.9%

Bottle from a place void of joy. Poured into a slender-ish Rare Vos glass.

Soft, brittle inch of white foam. Color & clarity of Lipton iced tea.

Smells of vinegar & caramel aged in a bucket made of wood.

Tastes of cider vinegar spiked with loads of white table sugar. Cream soda, Sweet Tarts, lime, & popsicle sticks.

The texture of carbonated syrup. Sort of like a Shirley Temple.

I have such a headache.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle courtesy dkachur, which also helps knock a style out... greatly appreciated!

A: Rich amber, a slight bit of haze. Not the greatest head, but it's there for a little bit.

S: A very unusual aroma... almost mustardy, which is agreed upon around the table. An interesting earthiness.

T: The aroma does NOT hint at what I taste. Quite sweet, without the tartness of typical lambics. Almost a sweet and sour taste, without the big sour flavour. Pretty much just like it, really.. brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple.

M + D: A little bite of carbonation over a medium body. I quite enjoyed the flavour, myself, though I could see it as being a love/hate type of thing. I would perhaps be a little more satisfied with a bigger tartness. Not bad.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

$5 bottle with a pop cap and cork too....
A: Pours a transparent brown color with a tiny tiny head that dissipates immediately

S: Overripe/almost rotting fruit (in a good way), champagne, raisin, fig, dates. Pretty much an overall apple cider vinegar nose

T: Whoa, extremely sweet. Lots and lots of fruits, overripe and dark. Lots of champagne yeast notes, and very very vinous in general. Also tart fruit

MF/D: smooth feel to it, low carbonation, and anything but dry.

Notes: Possibly the most unique beer I've had to date

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear yellow in color with some hues of amber and no visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thick collar around the edge of the glass and a large patch of bubbles on the surface.
S: Light aromas of fruits are present in the nose—figs stand out in particular—along with notes of sugar cane and hints of oak.
T: The taste is quite sweet and has flavors of raw cane sugar along with notes of figs and oak.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a low amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is sweet, but the sweetness is not cloying so it isn't that difficult to drink. It tastes like a sweetened lambic without that much in the way of fruity flavors.

2.13/5  rDev -36.8%

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or bottling information present. Acquired this dusty bottle at the local Sal's for $4.99 on sale. My first encounter with a Faro style beer, and based on it's current ratings, I'm not expecting much out of this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark ruby red liquid; flat, with no conjuration of head, and lots of fat dark yeast chunks sinking to the bottom of the glass. I usually always pour the sedimentation into my glass, but I wish I hadn't with this one. Excuse me while I find my strainer. 2.5

S - The smell is of strong vinegary acidity; more than likely oxidized. A slight alcohol note appears as well. It smells similar to some of the awful kombucha beers I've tried. 2.5

T - Not tart or sour in any way - just more vinegar acidity, rubbing alcohol, white sugar, and some indistinct fruitiness. I've never used the descriptor of 'cloyingly sweet' before, but the shoe definitely fits this one. 2

M - The feel is sticky, sugary, and vinegary. Again, cloyingly sweet / sugary. 2

Overall, probably the worst representation of an authentic lambic style beer that I've yet tried. Absolutely no redeeming qualities to this one whatsoever. I look forward to trying a more accurate representation of this style sometime soon. Avoid avoid avoid.

Chapeau Faro Lambic -----2/5.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours from the capped, corked 12.7 oz bottle a deep, bruised purple with a bit of head quickly boiling away. Smell is of cider vinegar and overripe produce-- apple, pear, tomato. Reminds me a lot of a Flanders red ale up to this point, but the acidic nose didn't prepare me for the flavor to come.

First sip holds a sweetness that almost makes my teeth ache. Loads of sugary apple and fruit flavor, almost like cider or applesauce. A bit of vinegar makes my mouth pucker a bit and makes the flavor a touch more interesting. Mouthfeel is fairly rich and thick, but the sweetness makes the finish a little anticlimactic-- again, much like cider. The tasty mix of sweet and sour made the beer easy to drink, though drinkability is hampered by its sheer sweetness.

I didn't find Chapeau Faro to be terribly complex, but what I did find, a very sweet, interesting beer, was enjoyable nonetheless.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a murky brown but when held up to the light reveals a deep ruby tone. Faint creamy head with mild lacing. Smell is a bit funky with vinegar tones and a little bit of sugar. I'm new to this style but so far so good.

Taste is fairly rich and balanced between the vinegar and sugar. Kind of apple-y but more in the tart red variety. Wheat malt is prevalent and aids in the creamy mouthfeel. Prickly carbonation keeps this one moving. A little cloying at times, but overall this is a solid and interesting beer.

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch