2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chapeau Faro Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Faro LambicChapeau Faro Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Faro |  4.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 76 | Show All Ratings:
scruffwhor

3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

Looks brown sugar and cinnamon powder juice. Very faint headthat slowly recedes to nothing after a coupe of sips. NOt to mention the very tiny bubbles in th beer. The aroma is a funky sweet brown sugar and medium toasted grains. The taste is like a fruitless fruit lambic. Youe get all the swetness, just none of the real distinct fruit flavors. You get lots of candi sugar and brown sugar withcurrant like tartness. Not a bad after dinner beer. Lots of dark toasted malty goodness.

05-07-2008 05:36:02 | More by scruffwhor
hwwty4

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Thanks to IBUnit63 for this one.

Poured a 33cl bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a raisin brown with almost no head even with a very vigorous pour, and since no head can be disturbed no lacing occurred either. The strange thing is if you swirl the glass, a nice ring of small bubbles breaks the surface of the beer but it never forms a head. The aroma is so tart that it makes the back of your jaw sting. This has a really nice sour/tart/funky aroma with green apples, grape skins and almost a dry merlot aroma. The flavor is the strangest flavor dichotomy I have ever tasted in a beer. It starts out with a green apple/grape skin sourness and then completely melts into a big, raisin sweetness that reminds me quite intensely of the flavor of a quad. It's really strange. I would really like to know how they come about with such a strange flavor profile. The mouthfeel is light and syrupy, with not much carbonation. Reminds me a bit of the mouthfeel of a Kvass. I think that this would be a nice beer to enjoy every 6 months or so but I don't even think that I could even drink one of these every week. This would fall more into the oddity column then the regular column.

11-22-2008 03:13:57 | More by hwwty4
wagenvolks

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

My first Faro! Served in the closest thing I own to a flute: a small pilsner glass from Peru. 375ml bottle with a cap & cork.

Pours with a copper-ish, iced tea body that shows a fair amount of haziness. The head is well-retained and has a sandy taupe hue, no doubt supplied by the vigorous carbonation level. Quite possibly the most interesting-smelling beer I've come across, Chapeau Faro Lambic has a little bit of everything, and most notes are not commonly associated with beer. Mustard seed, sauerkraut, soy sauce, hot trash, and wild ramps all combine for a venerable witch's brew of a beer. My mind wavers between thinking "eww, that's disgusting" and "ooh...that's interesting".

Oh, yum...whatever trepidation I had with the aroma vanished the instant I tasted this delicious concoction. Sweet Belgian candy and a light, almost ginger-like spice sits on the front of the tongue, quickly giving way to caramel-sugary goodness and a strange, almost salty note. Mouthfeel is bubbly and light, with an almost syrupy viscosity from the sugars. Definitely a beer for those with a sweet tooth, this reminds me of the lambics made by Lindemans. Fun to try, and recommended, but probably not a repeat for me.

08-25-2009 02:25:26 | More by wagenvolks
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a strange goose - thanks to Derek for giving me the opportunity to try this rare style.

Amber body with a generous off-white head which left big globs of sticky lace on the side of the glass. Funky aroma of leather and cider reminds me a little of a saison. The first thing that hits you is that this is a damn sweet beer, and it is - the residual sugars must be through the roof. Its nicely alleviated by a tart sourness that comes through in the finish. In between all manner of cider flavours abound, with some green apple, sour cherry and cranberry. The body is sticky, but medium - a slightly puckering sipper.

This is somewhat hard to judge because its the first time I've ever come across a faro, and I have no idea whether this is true to the style. I can say that I found it to be a very interesting and unique beer. The high sugar content would prevent me from finishing a bottle of this, and for that reason I doubt I would have it again. However, the flavours were very interesting, and the weird funkiness was quite unique. I'm glad I had the experience, and it really opens your eyes to how much variation there is in the world of beer.

11-28-2008 18:55:10 | More by bobsy
jera1350

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours an amber color without much of a head except for a ring around the outside of the glass. Some spotty lacing.

Red wine vinegar, black grape, silage and sour apple notes are all present.

Very sweet and quite tart. Sour cherry and apple, honey, vinegar and red wine grapes. Decent complexity.

Not much carbonation at all here. Even so, I actually kind of like it with the taste. Lighter body that is smooth and kind of slick.

I have to say that I really dig the flavor here. Apart from that, I think the beer is just above average overall. This makes me want to seek out more lambics as this one seems to be rated quite a bit lower.

12-08-2010 00:50:14 | More by jera1350
wschmit

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle into Perfect Pint.

A: Not much of an off white head, dissipates immediately with very little lacing. Otherwise, a slightly hazy brandy body with plenty of medium-flocculating dark brown floaties.

S: Very cidery...mostly acetic, not lactic, acid. Sweet, some wild yeast characteristics--horse blanket, funk, the usual. Pretty good nose.

T: A bit too sweet, and very much apple-flavored. There's a touch of barnyard, but not much. Overall, alright--what I expected.

M: This would be nice with some more carbonation...it's on the low end. The body is a bit thin, almost watery.

D: To me, faro is the stepping stone between fruity lambics and the good stuff. I think this falls into that category, but just barely. It's sweet, but not overwhelmingly saccharine, and the tartness helps that.

02-03-2011 03:59:12 | More by wschmit
GuinnessAtRogerWilco

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

375ml corked bottle. Just arrived at my store today and since beers like this tend to get polarized reviews, I thought it best if I sample it myself so I can give my Beer Club a straight review. Poured into a small wine goblet glass, as it's all I have on hand at work.

AP: Colour looks like if you liquefied and diluted a Gingersnap cookie. Head was only 1/4", but it's a small glass. Slight lacing on the sides.
AR: Raisin, brown sugar, candi sugar, funky Belgian yeast, a bit of cider. There's also a doughy bready aspect as well. Doesn't smell like it will be that sweet.
T: This is nicely balanced. Not too sweet nor too tart/sour. First taste is tart apple with some pear behind it. A slight cider (to me it's definitely more cider like than vinegar) nuance lingers throughout. The brown and candi sugars are subtle and seem to serve more to balance the sour. A taste of raisin bread comes into play. The finish is cidery and clean. I rather like this.
M: Crisp and clean on the palate like a decent Sour/Lambic should be. A bit creamy in mid palate and the finish is slightly dry and cleansing.
OV: This is the second Faro Lambic (Lindemans being the other) I've had and I've enjoyed them both. This is well balanced between the sweet and sour, the flavours blend well together though none of them are bold. This is a good sipping beer. Like I said, beers like this tend to be polarizing and I'm glad to be on the side that can appreciate this beer.

08-12-2013 22:13:26 | More by GuinnessAtRogerWilco
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

Oak saturated with an orange-tinted stain, then covered with three coats of clear lacquer. The ecru colored head looks surprisingly good. Since I've never had a faro before, I'm not sure why I'm surprised. The foam has a whipped creamy (yet still substantial) texture and coats the glass as well as any hoppy pale ale.

A faro is a lambic to which candi sugar has been added. Rather than the typical sourness, a faro has the sweetness of a dessert beer and is usually used for that purpose. The nose consists of caramel, wood and the underlying tart-tangy fruitiness (Granny Smith apples in this case) that lambic lovers love.

Given Brouwerij De Troch's penchant for adding sugar to every one of their beers, it isn't surprising that this offering is tooth-rottingly sweet. Sipping is recommended, especially if sugary drinks do to your gut what they do to mine. The sweetest, gooiest dessert on earth couldn't stand up to this stuff.

The flavor profile is remarkably reminiscent of sweet apple cider, especially since alcohol is not appreciated. To be more specific: sweet apple cider with a splash of melted caramel, then aged in oak barrels for a few months or so. There's just enough sourness to add another dimension to this already interesting ale.

The mouthfeel is both medium and sticky. Probably because there isn't much malt and there is a lot of sugar. In the grand scheme of things, it works pretty well.

Faro isn't such an exotic style after all, it's simply a style that few brewers choose to brew. If you aren't a lambic snob and actually like the sweet fruit 'lambics' on occasion, Chapeau Faro Lambic is worth a purchase.

04-22-2008 12:17:04 | More by BuckeyeNation
Proteus93

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle courtesy dkachur, which also helps knock a style out... greatly appreciated!

A: Rich amber, a slight bit of haze. Not the greatest head, but it's there for a little bit.

S: A very unusual aroma... almost mustardy, which is agreed upon around the table. An interesting earthiness.

T: The aroma does NOT hint at what I taste. Quite sweet, without the tartness of typical lambics. Almost a sweet and sour taste, without the big sour flavour. Pretty much just like it, really.. brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple.

M + D: A little bite of carbonation over a medium body. I quite enjoyed the flavour, myself, though I could see it as being a love/hate type of thing. I would perhaps be a little more satisfied with a bigger tartness. Not bad.

01-06-2009 00:47:37 | More by Proteus93
Riccymon

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours from the capped, corked 12.7 oz bottle a deep, bruised purple with a bit of head quickly boiling away. Smell is of cider vinegar and overripe produce-- apple, pear, tomato. Reminds me a lot of a Flanders red ale up to this point, but the acidic nose didn't prepare me for the flavor to come.

First sip holds a sweetness that almost makes my teeth ache. Loads of sugary apple and fruit flavor, almost like cider or applesauce. A bit of vinegar makes my mouth pucker a bit and makes the flavor a touch more interesting. Mouthfeel is fairly rich and thick, but the sweetness makes the finish a little anticlimactic-- again, much like cider. The tasty mix of sweet and sour made the beer easy to drink, though drinkability is hampered by its sheer sweetness.

I didn't find Chapeau Faro to be terribly complex, but what I did find, a very sweet, interesting beer, was enjoyable nonetheless.

07-19-2009 18:43:01 | More by Riccymon
jjanega08

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

No freshness dating on the bottle.

A= When I popped the top the cork bubbled on top which made me a little nervous. The pour however was at first a little dead but soon livened up to a quality level of carbonation on the beer with a small hea that dies fast. Typical of most lambic styles.

S= The smell is your typical sour beer with a bit of a deep barrel flavor and overlying sweetness.

T= The taste is again the deep sourness with an overlying sweetness that takes it over. The barrel flavor is deminished and the sweetness is a little hard to deal with. The sourness is good but a bit over taken by the sweetness. The taste is mostly a sweet cherry flavor.

M= The mouth is a bit flat. I usually deal with more lively lambic.

O= This is my first faro and it's not bad. A little too sweet but it has good flavor. I would for sure try other faros but I may not try this one again.

10-21-2011 03:59:29 | More by jjanega08
Patrick999

3.93/5  rDev +16.3%

Well, here it is. My first faro. Cork was a real bitch to extract - I actually had to get out my rarely-used expensive rabbit-style corkscrew and put it to work.

A - Poured into a champagne flute. Looks similar to a Flanders red, a little more brown than red. Good head and retention, and actually some decent lacing evident.

S - Mostly apple, like a really ripe Granny Smith. Apple, cherry and a little wood, again, not unlike a Flanders red. I suppose that since there's a barrel on the bottle's label, some oaking is not out of the question here.

T - Sweet apples with an underlying lactic tartness. Definitely very sweet and cider-y, with some of that woodiness. Last pour nearest to the dregs unleashes a bit more acidity and some interesting old shoe-funk notes.

F - It's highly carbonated and burpy, but I expected that. It's light-bodied enough to be able to carry it.

D - Well, I enjoyed it, but if you don't like a sweet beer, you probably won't. All in all, I don't find this too substantively different from a sweeter Flanders Red; it's like a less-vinegary Duchesse. Very easy to drink, again, if you don't mind a sweeter beer. At 4.5%, you could drink it until your sweet tooth gave out.

08-24-2008 03:01:12 | More by Patrick999
jwff

Alaska

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a murky brown but when held up to the light reveals a deep ruby tone. Faint creamy head with mild lacing. Smell is a bit funky with vinegar tones and a little bit of sugar. I'm new to this style but so far so good.

Taste is fairly rich and balanced between the vinegar and sugar. Kind of apple-y but more in the tart red variety. Wheat malt is prevalent and aids in the creamy mouthfeel. Prickly carbonation keeps this one moving. A little cloying at times, but overall this is a solid and interesting beer.

02-28-2008 04:48:17 | More by jwff
ggaughan

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

25 cl bottle purchased around Christmas in Bruges or Antwerp, can't remember. The beer poured a dense, brown body with a slight tan head. The nose was a bit acidic/vinegary but also a bit sweet on the nose. The taste is sweet up front but also is rounded out nicely by the acidic taste. Not as sweet as other faros that I have had. Very good.

02-10-2008 20:25:34 | More by ggaughan
albern

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

I really enjoyed this, and I had some initial doubts due to the strong vinegary nose right out of the bottle. Things quickly settled down. The beer pours a cloudy, well carbonated, murky brown with a smallish off white head, a touch of lacing, some head retention. The nose started out pretty questionable. I thought my bottle had gone bad. It got better once the beer had a chance to aerate. The taste was a real treat. This beer is a close cousin to a Belgian Flemish sour red style ale. The beer has that unique combination of sweet and sour tastes, a wooden perhaps slightly oaken aged tartness, and some very light sherry qualities. The beer is sweet, though, much sweeter than a Flemish Red ale. There are pear flavors, maybe some peach, maybe some other combinations of sweet dessert type fruits. This is an easy drinking beer, very fruity and sweet, with a nice character and loads of complexity. It was a real treat, just don't let the nose turn you off ... drink on.

03-01-2009 22:57:42 | More by albern
TMoney2591

Served in a wine glass.

Faro numero dos. Who'da thunk it, eh? W0rd. It pours a clear tawny amber topped by a fleeting half-finger of glowing off-whit foam. The nose comprises funky oak, light sour cherries, rum raisin cake, dank greens, brown sugar, and light white vinegar. Sweet and sour sauce ain't got shit on this, what! The taste does away with most of the sour notes, though some very subtle vinegar and tart black cherries remain fairly unfazed. The grand coalition, though, is composed of the brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, maple syrup, and candi sugar. The body is a smooth medium, with a light carbonation and a slightly sticky finish. Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect here, but this was overtly drinkable. I want more.

11-20-2010 18:38:25 | More by TMoney2591
armock

A - Poured a hazy brownish color with an off white head hat leaves lacing

S - Is of sweet apples thats about it

T - Interesting flavors come out its sweet then sour with fruit flavors

M - This beer has a full body whit high carbonation to it

D - This is a pretty tasty beer while its not one that I could really have more than one in a sitting its a good beer thats worth trying

08-29-2008 00:46:05 | More by armock
Wasatch

Utah

Thanks goes out to armock for this brew.

Pours a nice hazy golden reddish amber color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with does leave some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast, some raspberries/strawberries/cherries. The taste is malty, slight yeast, sweet, with just a little bit of sourness. Medium body. Drinkable, I really like this one, thanks Anthony.

12-11-2008 02:36:29 | More by Wasatch
LilBeerDoctor

Reviewed on 8/17/08. Bottle. My first faro! Pours a deep brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet sugar, sourness similar to that of a Flanders sour. Flavor is quite sweet and even sweeter and tart with the finish with some sweettarts candy. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru (although perhaps a bit sweeter). I don't know if this is representative of other faros, but I liked it!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

12-23-2008 17:50:38 | More by LilBeerDoctor
MrHungryMonkey

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Nose is sour and peculiar... kind of like a bag of flavored chips, or an unusual potato salad, or maybe an Asian chicken dish (think Middle Eastern). Good dose of vinegar (probably what reminded me of the above foods). Smells like it has a good bit of sweetness. Smells good, in a weird way.

Pours a cola brown color with yellowish highlights, nice creamy head with moderate retention. Looks good.

Flavor is not nearly as sour or funky as the nose. It's lightly funky, lightly sour, and moderately sweet. Mmm, it's good. Nice balance. There's some malt behind the sweetness, but not a lot. Spotlight is definitely on the yeastiness. Overall flavor magnitude is similar to a soda (not loud and boisterous like some Lambics I've tried). It's rather soft and delicate, especially the sweetness. Mild chocolate and nut notes. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Finishes fairly clean, a little on the sweet side with a soft mouthcoating. Tastes good.

01-03-2009 01:23:49 | More by MrHungryMonkey
matjack85

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this 375ml green, corked and capped bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $4.99. Never had a "faro" before so I looked it up to see what it is. Turns out to be a blend of part lambic beer and part non-lambic light beer that has a boatload of sugar added to it (either brown sugar, molasses, or caramel).

The beer poured out a mostly clear, dirty penny copper color that made just a short lived off-white rim for a head and left no lacing. Lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles rise quickly to the top, but it's also loaded with unattractive floating particles.

It has that nice sour lambic smell to it, plus some sweet sugars.

Sweet, but not as sweet as other reviewers make it out to be. It has a great puckering sour apple flavor to it along with tart baking cherries to help tame the generous amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. More than enough tartness to balance out the sugar. I thought it was delicious.

Anazingly light for a beer this sweet, and despite all the bubbles in it, I thought the carbonation level was on the low side.

Probably a good accompaniment to any fruit pie, but I enjoyed it all by itself as well. I'll be back for more of this.

02-05-2012 08:47:40 | More by matjack85
ballewblake

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Had it at the Amsterdam Bar in Dallas.

Poured into a lambic style, skinny fluted glass. Nice and dark in color, no head on a gentle pour. Smell was complex with earthy notes. Some fruit undertones under the heavier noise (of the earth I was getting), with a sharp, maybe vinegar/acid, smell that was really pleasant. Taste was a nice sweet blend that I was expecting with the style. Finished quick, easy drink ability. Very palette able.

02-05-2008 23:32:49 | More by ballewblake
Damian

4.3/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12.7 fl. oz. corked and capped bottle
Purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a flute

The beer poured a murky, burnt umber color with a bubbly, spritzy, light brown, one-finger head that quickly dissipated to a thin collar.

The aroma was a nice mix of sweet and tart. Oaky and a bit funky. Brown sugar notes came through strong. Fruity and berry-like. Cherries were noticeable as well. This reminded me greatly of an oud bruin.

The taste was similar to the aroma. Sweet and tart up front. Moderately funky. Fruity. Very strawberry-like with notes of brown sugar and caramel malts. Slightly acidic and a touch oaky. The flavor was somewhat akin to that of a sweetened balsamic reduction. Sour cherry and tart raspberry notes came through on the back end and they carried into the sweet and syrupy finish.

The mouthfeel was quite thin with a very fine and mild carbonation.

Drinkability was impressive. This is a super refreshing, flavorful and easy-drinking lambic. It is far more complex and far less cloying than many of the other sweetened versions on the market. I could imagine this making for a terrific after-dinner drink.

11-06-2009 02:41:42 | More by Damian
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

Thanks to armock for this!

12.7 corked capped bottle - have cork-screw ready!

Pours hazed brown with a thin light brown head that slowly descends to a patch. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of wood, vinegar-y sourness, green apple, and brown sugar.

The taste is of brown sugar - sweet, but with a green apple sourness. Some cherry-like tartness also enters in. It has a woody background.

Mildly effervescent, and very smooth. It is on the sweet side, though with a sour and woody balance, but not too sticky. A candy-ish treat. Moderate alcohol for a Belgian and with a nice taste, this is very drinkable!

01-21-2009 04:35:42 | More by jwc215
stumac

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Forgot these bastards need a cork screw! After spending 30 minutes destroying the cork and eventually shoving it into the bottle with a knife, i got to try my first faro.

A - looks, to say the least, like Coke in a glass. walnut brown, thin off-white head. slight lacing

S - very pungent sour notes. was definately hoping the beer wasn't spoiled. fruity, ripe green apples mainly

T - wow! quick stabbing tartness that grabs the sides of your tongue! candy sour apple, candy sour white grape, candy sour cherry, hints of honey. very scrumptious. finish is nice, sweet lingering taste. very complex.

MF - medium bodied. heavy carbonation at first but becomes light carbonation as you reach the end of your drink. smoothe

D - easily a dessert beer. or a beat sesh beer.

i would definately only drink this on rare occasions because of how intensly sweet it is. but i will definately be back for round two eventually.

03-15-2008 05:29:20 | More by stumac