Chapeau Faro Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Faro LambicChapeau Faro Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Faro |  4.75% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

Reviewed on 8/17/08. Bottle. My first faro! Pours a deep brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet sugar, sourness similar to that of a Flanders sour. Flavor is quite sweet and even sweeter and tart with the finish with some sweettarts candy. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru (although perhaps a bit sweeter). I don't know if this is representative of other faros, but I liked it!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5) (408 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have fond memories of finding this beer on-draught, a sunny lunchtime at 't Oud Arsenaal in Antwerp. It's proved a tough style to track down since, but JDV was able to help a few months back. Feeling like a lambic tonight, so into a stange this pours from its 12.7 oz. green bottle.

A: An uncapping then a cork extracted with a loud *POP*, pours a chestnut/amber. Fizzy head climbs to about a finger-high, dropping quickly. A fair amount of carbonation rising, refreshing a patch of film and clinging ring of white cream. Complexion is slightly hazy, with a deeper cloudiness towards the top and more clarity at the bottom.

S: Unique aroma: sweetly woody, musty without a defined tart 'funkiness', sugared malt vinegar?

T: A cola-like caramel sweetness and an aftertaste of maraschino cherries. Then there's a hint of lemon-lime tartness. Fleeting woody/vinegar qualities, a sweet-tart apple. Just a little mineral/dry finishing, despite an undeniable sugariness. If I likened this to a Cherry Coke, a Sprite, and a tart cider splashed into a seltzer water, that wouldn't be far off.

M: Crisp feel, slightly fizzing carbonation. Feel is rather light. Finishing notes: a mild tang sits gently and squarely in the middle of the tongue, a powdery sweetness on the lips.

D: A bit tough to decipher at first, challenging to decide whether this is sweet or tart or something else. After a few sips, it really grew on me - refreshing, easy enough to drink and certainly curious. I'd have this again; it's too bad it's a style so hard to find. Big thanks, Deniz! (1,562 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Just arrived in the Dallas area. I admit I've never had a genuine faro before, though I've tried homebrewed interpretations. This example is walnut in color with a moderate frothy head. Nose is musty, slightly sweet, and rather earthy. The taste is pleasantly sweet and sour, a tad vegetal but otherwise not much lambic character. Nice fruitiness with a tart finish. Soft and creamy texture.

A tad sweeter than expected, and not too complex, but a good drink none the less. (474 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

This is a strange goose - thanks to Derek for giving me the opportunity to try this rare style.

Amber body with a generous off-white head which left big globs of sticky lace on the side of the glass. Funky aroma of leather and cider reminds me a little of a saison. The first thing that hits you is that this is a damn sweet beer, and it is - the residual sugars must be through the roof. Its nicely alleviated by a tart sourness that comes through in the finish. In between all manner of cider flavours abound, with some green apple, sour cherry and cranberry. The body is sticky, but medium - a slightly puckering sipper.

This is somewhat hard to judge because its the first time I've ever come across a faro, and I have no idea whether this is true to the style. I can say that I found it to be a very interesting and unique beer. The high sugar content would prevent me from finishing a bottle of this, and for that reason I doubt I would have it again. However, the flavours were very interesting, and the weird funkiness was quite unique. I'm glad I had the experience, and it really opens your eyes to how much variation there is in the world of beer. (1,160 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +12.2%

My first Faro! Served in the closest thing I own to a flute: a small pilsner glass from Peru. 375ml bottle with a cap & cork.

Pours with a copper-ish, iced tea body that shows a fair amount of haziness. The head is well-retained and has a sandy taupe hue, no doubt supplied by the vigorous carbonation level. Quite possibly the most interesting-smelling beer I've come across, Chapeau Faro Lambic has a little bit of everything, and most notes are not commonly associated with beer. Mustard seed, sauerkraut, soy sauce, hot trash, and wild ramps all combine for a venerable witch's brew of a beer. My mind wavers between thinking "eww, that's disgusting" and "ooh...that's interesting".

Oh, yum...whatever trepidation I had with the aroma vanished the instant I tasted this delicious concoction. Sweet Belgian candy and a light, almost ginger-like spice sits on the front of the tongue, quickly giving way to caramel-sugary goodness and a strange, almost salty note. Mouthfeel is bubbly and light, with an almost syrupy viscosity from the sugars. Definitely a beer for those with a sweet tooth, this reminds me of the lambics made by Lindemans. Fun to try, and recommended, but probably not a repeat for me. (1,209 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this 375ml green, corked and capped bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $4.99. Never had a "faro" before so I looked it up to see what it is. Turns out to be a blend of part lambic beer and part non-lambic light beer that has a boatload of sugar added to it (either brown sugar, molasses, or caramel).

The beer poured out a mostly clear, dirty penny copper color that made just a short lived off-white rim for a head and left no lacing. Lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles rise quickly to the top, but it's also loaded with unattractive floating particles.

It has that nice sour lambic smell to it, plus some sweet sugars.

Sweet, but not as sweet as other reviewers make it out to be. It has a great puckering sour apple flavor to it along with tart baking cherries to help tame the generous amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. More than enough tartness to balance out the sugar. I thought it was delicious.

Anazingly light for a beer this sweet, and despite all the bubbles in it, I thought the carbonation level was on the low side.

Probably a good accompaniment to any fruit pie, but I enjoyed it all by itself as well. I'll be back for more of this. (1,175 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -18.8%

When I bought this beer, the guy at the store said, "Faro is gross. But you have to try it once." I'm not sure that I agree 100%, but he wasn't too far off.

A - Crystal-clear ruby-brown hue, no head or lace.

S - Smells sweetly oaked and a bit 'oude'. It hints at the cloying sweetness to come.

T - Surprisingly sweet; it tastes like malty pineapple juice. The alcohol is literally undetectable; in this case that is a bad thing. Actually, it tastes like disturbingly like Malta. The Lambic flavors are there, they are just fused with distasteful and cloying elements.

M - Thin, flat and juice-like. I don't like the feel, but I'm not sure that any tweaking could improve it; I certainly wouldn't want more viscosity, perhaps a little more carbonation would give it a sweet Asti sensibility.

D - This brew is easy enough to drink, actually, due to its juice/soda similarities, but it doesn't taste very good, so why bother. As soon as I realized it was not-so-good, I just downed the whole bottle like I was shotgunning a Keystone Light. On to the next (drastically better) brew... (1,085 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or bottling information present. Acquired this dusty bottle at the local Sal's for $4.99 on sale. My first encounter with a Faro style beer, and based on it's current ratings, I'm not expecting much out of this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark ruby red liquid; flat, with no conjuration of head, and lots of fat dark yeast chunks sinking to the bottom of the glass. I usually always pour the sedimentation into my glass, but I wish I hadn't with this one. Excuse me while I find my strainer. 2.5

S - The smell is of strong vinegary acidity; more than likely oxidized. A slight alcohol note appears as well. It smells similar to some of the awful kombucha beers I've tried. 2.5

T - Not tart or sour in any way - just more vinegar acidity, rubbing alcohol, white sugar, and some indistinct fruitiness. I've never used the descriptor of 'cloyingly sweet' before, but the shoe definitely fits this one. 2

M - The feel is sticky, sugary, and vinegary. Again, cloyingly sweet / sugary. 2

Overall, probably the worst representation of an authentic lambic style beer that I've yet tried. Absolutely no redeeming qualities to this one whatsoever. I look forward to trying a more accurate representation of this style sometime soon. Avoid avoid avoid.

Chapeau Faro Lambic -----2/5. (1,364 characters)

A - Poured a hazy brownish color with an off white head hat leaves lacing

S - Is of sweet apples thats about it

T - Interesting flavors come out its sweet then sour with fruit flavors

M - This beer has a full body whit high carbonation to it

D - This is a pretty tasty beer while its not one that I could really have more than one in a sitting its a good beer thats worth trying (382 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -19.1%

Courtesy of dkachur, split with him and a friend. My portion poured into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: A slightly hazy orange brown-bodied beer with a healthy head that fades quickly. Somehow, there's some erratic, avant-garde splatters of solid lacing and a thin collar of lace, though little sheen.

Aroma: Brown buttery, slightly fruity, and - yes mustard and mushrooms. Slightly salty in places. Very odd and completely unexpected.

Taste: Incredibly sweet, with tons of residual sugar. Proteus93 says it's sweet and sour-esque, and I'd agree - pineapple, brown sugar, and slight vinegar does seem to wrap it up nicely. Fortunately, the mushrooms have faded. Very strange, with a few buttery notes. Slight nondescript fruity notes, as well.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sticky, and cloying, with slight carbonation, but largely lifeless and dead.

Drinkability: Is this what a faro's like? I don't know. It's not terribly drinkable, but I can't say for sure if that's standard, as it's the only one I've ever had. Can't say I was a huge fan on the whole, though - the tastes and aromas were just too whack. (1,102 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

My first lambic, I'm doing it side-by-side with Lindeman's Faro. 12.7 oz capped and corked green bottle, no date. Cork says " De Troch Wambeek".

This one looks better. It pours with a bigger head that is also slightly darker. It recedes in odd intervals leaving no lacing. The beer is a bit browner and hazier than the Lindeman's with hues of magenta when light-struck.

The smel is quirky it definitely has a funk to it, though not the funk I usually associated with this beer. It has a must to it, maybe some brie cheese, also definitely some major oak in the scent, it also smells very sugary.

The taste is super sugary, with some rotten fruit taste, a hint of sourness (but way over powered by sweetness).

Very, very blunt this one is. (742 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

Finally tracked down a faro. This one is a capped and corked 12.7oz bottle. Cork comes out with little sound. Pours into my glass a deep hazelnut color with hints of red and a quarter inch of off white foam atop. Carbonation seems mild. Aromas start with sour, somewhat funky woody tannins with cork and barrel accents. Sweet, almost fruity malt tones waft up as well. Dark sugar amidst some acidity. Intriguing if nothing else.

First sip is a rush of upfront sweetness that attacks the taste buds and honestly catches me off guard. Malty and fruity flavors flow down and play into the sourness that lurks in the background of the beer. Wood tannins and barrel accents float throughout. A touch of caramel and the lingering thought of a musty basement that comes to mind. An interesting, sweetened up lambic, that just ends up being too sweet for my personal tastes.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a smooth almost slick quality to it and mellow carbonation. It goes down easily enough. However, I personally am not a fan of the overbearing sweetness that pervades this brew. I need to try more Faro's before writing off the style, however of this one I can say I am not a fan overall. (1,193 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +15.5%

I really enjoyed this, and I had some initial doubts due to the strong vinegary nose right out of the bottle. Things quickly settled down. The beer pours a cloudy, well carbonated, murky brown with a smallish off white head, a touch of lacing, some head retention. The nose started out pretty questionable. I thought my bottle had gone bad. It got better once the beer had a chance to aerate. The taste was a real treat. This beer is a close cousin to a Belgian Flemish sour red style ale. The beer has that unique combination of sweet and sour tastes, a wooden perhaps slightly oaken aged tartness, and some very light sherry qualities. The beer is sweet, though, much sweeter than a Flemish Red ale. There are pear flavors, maybe some peach, maybe some other combinations of sweet dessert type fruits. This is an easy drinking beer, very fruity and sweet, with a nice character and loads of complexity. It was a real treat, just don't let the nose turn you off ... drink on. (976 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12.7 fl. oz. corked and capped bottle
Purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a flute

The beer poured a murky, burnt umber color with a bubbly, spritzy, light brown, one-finger head that quickly dissipated to a thin collar.

The aroma was a nice mix of sweet and tart. Oaky and a bit funky. Brown sugar notes came through strong. Fruity and berry-like. Cherries were noticeable as well. This reminded me greatly of an oud bruin.

The taste was similar to the aroma. Sweet and tart up front. Moderately funky. Fruity. Very strawberry-like with notes of brown sugar and caramel malts. Slightly acidic and a touch oaky. The flavor was somewhat akin to that of a sweetened balsamic reduction. Sour cherry and tart raspberry notes came through on the back end and they carried into the sweet and syrupy finish.

The mouthfeel was quite thin with a very fine and mild carbonation.

Drinkability was impressive. This is a super refreshing, flavorful and easy-drinking lambic. It is far more complex and far less cloying than many of the other sweetened versions on the market. I could imagine this making for a terrific after-dinner drink. (1,169 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

Forgot these bastards need a cork screw! After spending 30 minutes destroying the cork and eventually shoving it into the bottle with a knife, i got to try my first faro.

A - looks, to say the least, like Coke in a glass. walnut brown, thin off-white head. slight lacing

S - very pungent sour notes. was definately hoping the beer wasn't spoiled. fruity, ripe green apples mainly

T - wow! quick stabbing tartness that grabs the sides of your tongue! candy sour apple, candy sour white grape, candy sour cherry, hints of honey. very scrumptious. finish is nice, sweet lingering taste. very complex.

MF - medium bodied. heavy carbonation at first but becomes light carbonation as you reach the end of your drink. smoothe

D - easily a dessert beer. or a beat sesh beer.

i would definately only drink this on rare occasions because of how intensly sweet it is. but i will definately be back for round two eventually. (918 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -6.9%

375 capped and corked bottle. i got this one only to get the chance to try a faro. drank from my lindemans flute looking glass.

A- this one pours out a somewhat clear dark brown colored body with a quickly dissipating khaki colored crown of a head. small rings of lacing are left on the sides of my glass.

S- the first thing i notice is that this is very sweet. lots of brown sugar and a bit of caramel. a lactic like smell that makes me believe this will be sour. very spicy and musty.

T- the sourness takes a very distant backseat to the intense brown sugary sweetness. theres also a musty/earthiness in here. very faint notes of vinegar but not nearly enough to pucker.

M- medium to full bodied with a very low level of carbonation. almost still. very juice like and sticky. palate coating.

D- one and done. probably wont be revisiting this one, its just way too sweet. glad to say that ive gotten the chance to try a faro. (936 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle courtesy dkachur, which also helps knock a style out... greatly appreciated!

A: Rich amber, a slight bit of haze. Not the greatest head, but it's there for a little bit.

S: A very unusual aroma... almost mustardy, which is agreed upon around the table. An interesting earthiness.

T: The aroma does NOT hint at what I taste. Quite sweet, without the tartness of typical lambics. Almost a sweet and sour taste, without the big sour flavour. Pretty much just like it, really.. brown sugar, vinegar, pineapple.

M + D: A little bite of carbonation over a medium body. I quite enjoyed the flavour, myself, though I could see it as being a love/hate type of thing. I would perhaps be a little more satisfied with a bigger tartness. Not bad. (747 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

From: Sal's Liquors, Addison, IL
Date: None
Glass: Drie Fonteinen gueuze glass

De Troch's faro is a dark take on the style, perhaps the darkest of the three faros I have been able to try. The result of using all that amber candi sugar is a very sweet and easy drinking faro: there will be no problem enjoying this as a sweet and slightly tart, not-too-complex, easy-drinking beer. Not sure if I'd seek it out again, as Lindeman's faro is more readily available and more robust in flavor, but this was an average, but still very drinkable, faro.

Pours virtually no head, just a few wisps of off-white foam that quickly dissipate, leaving no lacing. Body is amber-red in color, the color of dark red wood stain when out of light, red-brown-orang when in. Carbonation is minimal, but what little there is, is visible in the transparent body.

Aroma is slightly sweet, musty, moldy, and mushroomy, with the slightest bit of dried lemon tartness. Not a very strong aroma, nor particularly interesting when noticed.

Tasting opens with Belgian brown candi sugar sweetness, slight oak and aged oak mulch, very light lemon tartness, opening up mid-palate to oak barrel, sweet candi sugar, and slight vinegar flavors and tanginess. When the beer reaches the back of the palate, there is more noticeable tartness with some light dried lemon and continued strong Belgian brown candi sugar. Aftertaste features a lingering light tartness on the back of the palate and throat, with some residual brown candi sugar sweetness.

Beer is light to light-medium in body with minimal carbonation, a bit watery, resulting in the beer moving fairly slowly, but still enjoyably so on the palate. Finish is expectedly dry, from sugar and acids. (1,722 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +15.5%

No freshness dating on the bottle.

A= When I popped the top the cork bubbled on top which made me a little nervous. The pour however was at first a little dead but soon livened up to a quality level of carbonation on the beer with a small hea that dies fast. Typical of most lambic styles.

S= The smell is your typical sour beer with a bit of a deep barrel flavor and overlying sweetness.

T= The taste is again the deep sourness with an overlying sweetness that takes it over. The barrel flavor is deminished and the sweetness is a little hard to deal with. The sourness is good but a bit over taken by the sweetness. The taste is mostly a sweet cherry flavor.

M= The mouth is a bit flat. I usually deal with more lively lambic.

O= This is my first faro and it's not bad. A little too sweet but it has good flavor. I would for sure try other faros but I may not try this one again. (887 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 375ml green bottle with a capped cork into my NBB glass. No dating info and green bottle so hoping it's OK. Can't say that I've been really dying to try this one after reading the reviews but trying to have at least one of each style so here goes my Faro sample. Was a very hazy brown color with some dark red highlights. It had a very small fizzy head that disappeared before I was done pouring. Good carb streams in center. No lacing.

The aroma was very sweet. Candied sugar, brown sugar, a little woody and vinegar as well. Didn't blend well for me. The taste was painfully sweet. Like drinking a liquid Sweettart or something. Eye puckering sweet and tart. I love sour beers so no problem with taste extremes but this was too much. Was so hard to get around the sweet that you couldn't really taste anything else.

Overall, god awful. Way too sweet with no other redeeming flavors. Now I know why there are only 13 of these in the database - can't be much demand for it. Avoid and definitely one and done...but at least I got Faro off the list. (1,064 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -17%

Pours out a muddy, murky looking brown. Weird. Not much of a head and just a touch of lace. Smells really worty and of big dark, fruits. Kind of has a vitamin-y smell to it. Some balsamic vinegar and citric acid as well. Taste is really sweet up front with some balsamic and woodiness making its way into the middle. Don't really pick up much coriander, if any. Has a dried fruit thing going on. Nice balancing acidity in the finish, but it isn't enough to fully counter-balance the huge sweetness. Mouthfeel is kind of light and spritzy but with a definite syrupyness. Kind of sticks to the tongue. Drinkability is ok. Just too sweet for me.

THX 2 hamburgah for the sample. (675 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -35.5%

375ml Freenet glass cork and capped champagne bottle. Bought at Knightly spirits OBT, Orlando, FL. No date.

Pours crystal-clear brown without and head. Nose is like red wine vinegar and sugar-in-the-raw. Palate is sickly sweet. Tastes like sugar-coated tobacco leaves. Earthy and raw. Not a pleasant beverage at all. (I like funk and sours, but this was a drain-poured...undrinkable.)

Fail. (392 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

So, this is a Faro, huh? Let's pour this capped and corked deal into an Ommegang chalice. Cork is about 90% moist, but not at the very top, so we may still be in bidness...

Deep, dark, bourbon color with wisps of head on top that actually look and twist like a hurricane pattern on a 1970s satellite weather photo. Minimal carbonation otherwise. Lacing looks like a bathtub ring.

Slight horse blanket feel with candied sweetness and a mild acetic acid tinge. This all combines with very thick yeast and malt to prep for an interesting yet slightly disconcerting package.

Intriguing is more like it - sweet cinnamon, ginger, maybe some coriander and heavy yeast quotient - slight brett funk (?) and horse blanket tone. Definitely a mild vinegar sourness. Almost a sarsparilla and spiced apple feel - wait a minute...that's candied ginger.

Pleasant, soothing mouthfeel. Rustic, oaky sweetness with enough sour/bitter pucker to cut the weight nicely. Slight vinegar aftertaste.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts on this one. Each element of this offering may not be spectacular but it makes for an enjoyable effort to savor. (1,139 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

bottle poured into a snifter. pours a flat medium brown with a half finger of white head that has poor retention and no lacings.

aroma is very sweet with a bit of earthy oak and candy sugar mainly. raisens are distant among the overpowering sweetness.

taste is still quite sweet, but much softer on the palate with a light raisen and candied sugar note. almost sticky in its sweetness.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and soft in texture from the sugar. intensely sweet and sticky on the palate.

drinkability is decent. much too sweet to be very drinkable. soft on the palate , but finishes with a candy-like sweetness. decent, but not drinkable. (645 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Nose is sour and peculiar... kind of like a bag of flavored chips, or an unusual potato salad, or maybe an Asian chicken dish (think Middle Eastern). Good dose of vinegar (probably what reminded me of the above foods). Smells like it has a good bit of sweetness. Smells good, in a weird way.

Pours a cola brown color with yellowish highlights, nice creamy head with moderate retention. Looks good.

Flavor is not nearly as sour or funky as the nose. It's lightly funky, lightly sour, and moderately sweet. Mmm, it's good. Nice balance. There's some malt behind the sweetness, but not a lot. Spotlight is definitely on the yeastiness. Overall flavor magnitude is similar to a soda (not loud and boisterous like some Lambics I've tried). It's rather soft and delicate, especially the sweetness. Mild chocolate and nut notes. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Finishes fairly clean, a little on the sweet side with a soft mouthcoating. Tastes good. (947 characters)

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch