Chapeau Faro Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Faro |  4.75% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber pour, thin white lacing that leaves little traces on the glass.
Smell of brown sugar caramel, damp woody barrel, some vinegar, very faint raisin, dry lemon peel and faint marzipan.
Huge sweetness, but the following apple cidery tartness cleans up the palate a bit, leaving just a tiny trace of sticky caramel. Later on the sweetness covers up the sourness tho. Hints of sour cherries, apple juice and faint vinegar. Even fainter lambic funk, with a bit of funky wood but way too low (if any) green hay.
Low carbonation, oily, with a sticky sweet aftertaste.
People with a sweet tooth will enjoy this, tasty candi sugar, but probably way too syrupy sweet for most of the people.

3.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7oz bottle into my Rodenbach Grand Cru glass....Light tan head, not much carbonation. The beer is a dark coca-cola, really likes like a pop more than a beer...nice aroma, vinegar, wood, tart cherries, just not overly strong wish it was more of a pucker and there is a weird musky finish...The taste is insanely weird, its balasmic vinegar but a really really really sweet version. First time a lambic has made me pucker from sweetness. Almost a liquid prune taste as well. Very unique, just not for me. A sweet oud bruin?

Interesting but tough to drink.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

1.53/5  rDev -54.5%

Pours an unattractive brownish orange color with no head. "Garbage juice" was a common description of the aroma at the tasting where this beer was had. Garbage juice and herbal bitters, maybe some hobo. Oddly intriguing nonetheless. Flavor is sugary fruit punch with only a hint of the gross herbal note from the aroma. Why?

2.25/5  rDev -33%

Reviewed on 8/17/08. Bottle. My first faro! Pours a deep brown with a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet sugar, sourness similar to that of a Flanders sour. Flavor is quite sweet and even sweeter and tart with the finish with some sweettarts candy. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru (although perhaps a bit sweeter). I don't know if this is representative of other faros, but I liked it!
8/4/8/4/15 (3.9/5)

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Fairly deep amber. Ample off white head. Quite a bit of floaties, I don't think it was poured very carefully.

Vinuous fruit aroma, brown sugar. A bit of red wine vinegar.

A nice tartness up front. Gets pretty sweet after that, candied and brow sugar. Very ripe red fruits.

It is sweet, but not as bad as I was expecting. Drinkable, you just have to be ready for it.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours an amber color without much of a head except for a ring around the outside of the glass. Some spotty lacing.

Red wine vinegar, black grape, silage and sour apple notes are all present.

Very sweet and quite tart. Sour cherry and apple, honey, vinegar and red wine grapes. Decent complexity.

Not much carbonation at all here. Even so, I actually kind of like it with the taste. Lighter body that is smooth and kind of slick.

I have to say that I really dig the flavor here. Apart from that, I think the beer is just above average overall. This makes me want to seek out more lambics as this one seems to be rated quite a bit lower.

3.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have fond memories of finding this beer on-draught, a sunny lunchtime at 't Oud Arsenaal in Antwerp. It's proved a tough style to track down since, but JDV was able to help a few months back. Feeling like a lambic tonight, so into a stange this pours from its 12.7 oz. green bottle.

A: An uncapping then a cork extracted with a loud *POP*, pours a chestnut/amber. Fizzy head climbs to about a finger-high, dropping quickly. A fair amount of carbonation rising, refreshing a patch of film and clinging ring of white cream. Complexion is slightly hazy, with a deeper cloudiness towards the top and more clarity at the bottom.

S: Unique aroma: sweetly woody, musty without a defined tart 'funkiness', sugared malt vinegar?

T: A cola-like caramel sweetness and an aftertaste of maraschino cherries. Then there's a hint of lemon-lime tartness. Fleeting woody/vinegar qualities, a sweet-tart apple. Just a little mineral/dry finishing, despite an undeniable sugariness. If I likened this to a Cherry Coke, a Sprite, and a tart cider splashed into a seltzer water, that wouldn't be far off.

M: Crisp feel, slightly fizzing carbonation. Feel is rather light. Finishing notes: a mild tang sits gently and squarely in the middle of the tongue, a powdery sweetness on the lips.

D: A bit tough to decipher at first, challenging to decide whether this is sweet or tart or something else. After a few sips, it really grew on me - refreshing, easy enough to drink and certainly curious. I'd have this again; it's too bad it's a style so hard to find. Big thanks, Deniz!

3.68/5  rDev +9.5%

Just arrived in the Dallas area. I admit I've never had a genuine faro before, though I've tried homebrewed interpretations. This example is walnut in color with a moderate frothy head. Nose is musty, slightly sweet, and rather earthy. The taste is pleasantly sweet and sour, a tad vegetal but otherwise not much lambic character. Nice fruitiness with a tart finish. Soft and creamy texture.

A tad sweeter than expected, and not too complex, but a good drink none the less.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

This is a strange goose - thanks to Derek for giving me the opportunity to try this rare style.

Amber body with a generous off-white head which left big globs of sticky lace on the side of the glass. Funky aroma of leather and cider reminds me a little of a saison. The first thing that hits you is that this is a damn sweet beer, and it is - the residual sugars must be through the roof. Its nicely alleviated by a tart sourness that comes through in the finish. In between all manner of cider flavours abound, with some green apple, sour cherry and cranberry. The body is sticky, but medium - a slightly puckering sipper.

This is somewhat hard to judge because its the first time I've ever come across a faro, and I have no idea whether this is true to the style. I can say that I found it to be a very interesting and unique beer. The high sugar content would prevent me from finishing a bottle of this, and for that reason I doubt I would have it again. However, the flavours were very interesting, and the weird funkiness was quite unique. I'm glad I had the experience, and it really opens your eyes to how much variation there is in the world of beer.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

3.76/5  rDev +11.9%

My first Faro! Served in the closest thing I own to a flute: a small pilsner glass from Peru. 375ml bottle with a cap & cork.

Pours with a copper-ish, iced tea body that shows a fair amount of haziness. The head is well-retained and has a sandy taupe hue, no doubt supplied by the vigorous carbonation level. Quite possibly the most interesting-smelling beer I've come across, Chapeau Faro Lambic has a little bit of everything, and most notes are not commonly associated with beer. Mustard seed, sauerkraut, soy sauce, hot trash, and wild ramps all combine for a venerable witch's brew of a beer. My mind wavers between thinking "eww, that's disgusting" and "ooh...that's interesting".

Oh, yum...whatever trepidation I had with the aroma vanished the instant I tasted this delicious concoction. Sweet Belgian candy and a light, almost ginger-like spice sits on the front of the tongue, quickly giving way to caramel-sugary goodness and a strange, almost salty note. Mouthfeel is bubbly and light, with an almost syrupy viscosity from the sugars. Definitely a beer for those with a sweet tooth, this reminds me of the lambics made by Lindemans. Fun to try, and recommended, but probably not a repeat for me.

4.04/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this 375ml green, corked and capped bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $4.99. Never had a "faro" before so I looked it up to see what it is. Turns out to be a blend of part lambic beer and part non-lambic light beer that has a boatload of sugar added to it (either brown sugar, molasses, or caramel).

The beer poured out a mostly clear, dirty penny copper color that made just a short lived off-white rim for a head and left no lacing. Lots of tiny champagne-like bubbles rise quickly to the top, but it's also loaded with unattractive floating particles.

It has that nice sour lambic smell to it, plus some sweet sugars.

Sweet, but not as sweet as other reviewers make it out to be. It has a great puckering sour apple flavor to it along with tart baking cherries to help tame the generous amount of brown sugar-like sweetness. More than enough tartness to balance out the sugar. I thought it was delicious.

Anazingly light for a beer this sweet, and despite all the bubbles in it, I thought the carbonation level was on the low side.

Probably a good accompaniment to any fruit pie, but I enjoyed it all by itself as well. I'll be back for more of this.

2.72/5  rDev -19%

When I bought this beer, the guy at the store said, "Faro is gross. But you have to try it once." I'm not sure that I agree 100%, but he wasn't too far off.

A - Crystal-clear ruby-brown hue, no head or lace.

S - Smells sweetly oaked and a bit 'oude'. It hints at the cloying sweetness to come.

T - Surprisingly sweet; it tastes like malty pineapple juice. The alcohol is literally undetectable; in this case that is a bad thing. Actually, it tastes like disturbingly like Malta. The Lambic flavors are there, they are just fused with distasteful and cloying elements.

M - Thin, flat and juice-like. I don't like the feel, but I'm not sure that any tweaking could improve it; I certainly wouldn't want more viscosity, perhaps a little more carbonation would give it a sweet Asti sensibility.

D - This brew is easy enough to drink, actually, due to its juice/soda similarities, but it doesn't taste very good, so why bother. As soon as I realized it was not-so-good, I just downed the whole bottle like I was shotgunning a Keystone Light. On to the next (drastically better) brew...

A - Poured a hazy brownish color with an off white head hat leaves lacing

S - Is of sweet apples thats about it

T - Interesting flavors come out its sweet then sour with fruit flavors

M - This beer has a full body whit high carbonation to it

D - This is a pretty tasty beer while its not one that I could really have more than one in a sitting its a good beer thats worth trying

2.71/5  rDev -19.3%

Courtesy of dkachur, split with him and a friend. My portion poured into a brandy snifter.

Appearance: A slightly hazy orange brown-bodied beer with a healthy head that fades quickly. Somehow, there's some erratic, avant-garde splatters of solid lacing and a thin collar of lace, though little sheen.

Aroma: Brown buttery, slightly fruity, and - yes mustard and mushrooms. Slightly salty in places. Very odd and completely unexpected.

Taste: Incredibly sweet, with tons of residual sugar. Proteus93 says it's sweet and sour-esque, and I'd agree - pineapple, brown sugar, and slight vinegar does seem to wrap it up nicely. Fortunately, the mushrooms have faded. Very strange, with a few buttery notes. Slight nondescript fruity notes, as well.

Mouthfeel: Thick, sticky, and cloying, with slight carbonation, but largely lifeless and dead.

Drinkability: Is this what a faro's like? I don't know. It's not terribly drinkable, but I can't say for sure if that's standard, as it's the only one I've ever had. Can't say I was a huge fan on the whole, though - the tastes and aromas were just too whack.

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

My first lambic, I'm doing it side-by-side with Lindeman's Faro. 12.7 oz capped and corked green bottle, no date. Cork says " De Troch Wambeek".

This one looks better. It pours with a bigger head that is also slightly darker. It recedes in odd intervals leaving no lacing. The beer is a bit browner and hazier than the Lindeman's with hues of magenta when light-struck.

The smel is quirky it definitely has a funk to it, though not the funk I usually associated with this beer. It has a must to it, maybe some brie cheese, also definitely some major oak in the scent, it also smells very sugary.

The taste is super sugary, with some rotten fruit taste, a hint of sourness (but way over powered by sweetness).

Very, very blunt this one is.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

Finally tracked down a faro. This one is a capped and corked 12.7oz bottle. Cork comes out with little sound. Pours into my glass a deep hazelnut color with hints of red and a quarter inch of off white foam atop. Carbonation seems mild. Aromas start with sour, somewhat funky woody tannins with cork and barrel accents. Sweet, almost fruity malt tones waft up as well. Dark sugar amidst some acidity. Intriguing if nothing else.

First sip is a rush of upfront sweetness that attacks the taste buds and honestly catches me off guard. Malty and fruity flavors flow down and play into the sourness that lurks in the background of the beer. Wood tannins and barrel accents float throughout. A touch of caramel and the lingering thought of a musty basement that comes to mind. An interesting, sweetened up lambic, that just ends up being too sweet for my personal tastes.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a smooth almost slick quality to it and mellow carbonation. It goes down easily enough. However, I personally am not a fan of the overbearing sweetness that pervades this brew. I need to try more Faro's before writing off the style, however of this one I can say I am not a fan overall.

2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

12.7 fl oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or bottling information present. Acquired this dusty bottle at the local Sal's for $4.99 on sale. My first encounter with a Faro style beer, and based on it's current ratings, I'm not expecting much out of this one.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a dark ruby red liquid; flat, with no conjuration of head, and lots of fat dark yeast chunks sinking to the bottom of the glass. I usually always pour the sedimentation into my glass, but I wish I hadn't with this one. Excuse me while I find my strainer. 2.5

S - The smell is of strong vinegary acidity; more than likely oxidized. A slight alcohol note appears as well. It smells similar to some of the awful kombucha beers I've tried. 2.5

T - Not tart or sour in any way - just more vinegar acidity, rubbing alcohol, white sugar, and some indistinct fruitiness. I've never used the descriptor of 'cloyingly sweet' before, but the shoe definitely fits this one. 2

M - The feel is sticky, sugary, and vinegary. Again, cloyingly sweet / sugary. 2

Overall, probably the worst representation of an authentic lambic style beer that I've yet tried. Absolutely no redeeming qualities to this one whatsoever. I look forward to trying a more accurate representation of this style sometime soon. Avoid avoid avoid.

Chapeau Faro Lambic -----2/5.

Chapeau Faro Lambic from Brouwerij De Troch