Chapeau Faro Lambic - Brouwerij De Troch

Chapeau Faro LambicChapeau Faro Lambic

Brouwerij De Troch visit their website

Faro |  4.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2002)
3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

375ml corked bottle. Just arrived at my store today and since beers like this tend to get polarized reviews, I thought it best if I sample it myself so I can give my Beer Club a straight review. Poured into a small wine goblet glass, as it's all I have on hand at work.

AP: Colour looks like if you liquefied and diluted a Gingersnap cookie. Head was only 1/4", but it's a small glass. Slight lacing on the sides.
AR: Raisin, brown sugar, candi sugar, funky Belgian yeast, a bit of cider. There's also a doughy bready aspect as well. Doesn't smell like it will be that sweet.
T: This is nicely balanced. Not too sweet nor too tart/sour. First taste is tart apple with some pear behind it. A slight cider (to me it's definitely more cider like than vinegar) nuance lingers throughout. The brown and candi sugars are subtle and seem to serve more to balance the sour. A taste of raisin bread comes into play. The finish is cidery and clean. I rather like this.
M: Crisp and clean on the palate like a decent Sour/Lambic should be. A bit creamy in mid palate and the finish is slightly dry and cleansing.
OV: This is the second Faro Lambic (Lindemans being the other) I've had and I've enjoyed them both. This is well balanced between the sweet and sour, the flavours blend well together though none of them are bold. This is a good sipping beer. Like I said, beers like this tend to be polarizing and I'm glad to be on the side that can appreciate this beer.

GuinnessAtRogerWilco, Aug 12, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours an amber color without much of a head except for a ring around the outside of the glass. Some spotty lacing.

Red wine vinegar, black grape, silage and sour apple notes are all present.

Very sweet and quite tart. Sour cherry and apple, honey, vinegar and red wine grapes. Decent complexity.

Not much carbonation at all here. Even so, I actually kind of like it with the taste. Lighter body that is smooth and kind of slick.

I have to say that I really dig the flavor here. Apart from that, I think the beer is just above average overall. This makes me want to seek out more lambics as this one seems to be rated quite a bit lower.

jera1350, Dec 08, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a strange goose - thanks to Derek for giving me the opportunity to try this rare style.

Amber body with a generous off-white head which left big globs of sticky lace on the side of the glass. Funky aroma of leather and cider reminds me a little of a saison. The first thing that hits you is that this is a damn sweet beer, and it is - the residual sugars must be through the roof. Its nicely alleviated by a tart sourness that comes through in the finish. In between all manner of cider flavours abound, with some green apple, sour cherry and cranberry. The body is sticky, but medium - a slightly puckering sipper.

This is somewhat hard to judge because its the first time I've ever come across a faro, and I have no idea whether this is true to the style. I can say that I found it to be a very interesting and unique beer. The high sugar content would prevent me from finishing a bottle of this, and for that reason I doubt I would have it again. However, the flavours were very interesting, and the weird funkiness was quite unique. I'm glad I had the experience, and it really opens your eyes to how much variation there is in the world of beer.

bobsy, Nov 28, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle into Perfect Pint.

A: Not much of an off white head, dissipates immediately with very little lacing. Otherwise, a slightly hazy brandy body with plenty of medium-flocculating dark brown floaties.

S: Very cidery...mostly acetic, not lactic, acid. Sweet, some wild yeast characteristics--horse blanket, funk, the usual. Pretty good nose.

T: A bit too sweet, and very much apple-flavored. There's a touch of barnyard, but not much. Overall, alright--what I expected.

M: This would be nice with some more carbonation...it's on the low end. The body is a bit thin, almost watery.

D: To me, faro is the stepping stone between fruity lambics and the good stuff. I think this falls into that category, but just barely. It's sweet, but not overwhelmingly saccharine, and the tartness helps that.

wschmit, Feb 03, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Thanks to IBUnit63 for this one.

Poured a 33cl bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a raisin brown with almost no head even with a very vigorous pour, and since no head can be disturbed no lacing occurred either. The strange thing is if you swirl the glass, a nice ring of small bubbles breaks the surface of the beer but it never forms a head. The aroma is so tart that it makes the back of your jaw sting. This has a really nice sour/tart/funky aroma with green apples, grape skins and almost a dry merlot aroma. The flavor is the strangest flavor dichotomy I have ever tasted in a beer. It starts out with a green apple/grape skin sourness and then completely melts into a big, raisin sweetness that reminds me quite intensely of the flavor of a quad. It's really strange. I would really like to know how they come about with such a strange flavor profile. The mouthfeel is light and syrupy, with not much carbonation. Reminds me a bit of the mouthfeel of a Kvass. I think that this would be a nice beer to enjoy every 6 months or so but I don't even think that I could even drink one of these every week. This would fall more into the oddity column then the regular column.

hwwty4, Nov 22, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

My first Faro! Served in the closest thing I own to a flute: a small pilsner glass from Peru. 375ml bottle with a cap & cork.

Pours with a copper-ish, iced tea body that shows a fair amount of haziness. The head is well-retained and has a sandy taupe hue, no doubt supplied by the vigorous carbonation level. Quite possibly the most interesting-smelling beer I've come across, Chapeau Faro Lambic has a little bit of everything, and most notes are not commonly associated with beer. Mustard seed, sauerkraut, soy sauce, hot trash, and wild ramps all combine for a venerable witch's brew of a beer. My mind wavers between thinking "eww, that's disgusting" and "ooh...that's interesting".

Oh, yum...whatever trepidation I had with the aroma vanished the instant I tasted this delicious concoction. Sweet Belgian candy and a light, almost ginger-like spice sits on the front of the tongue, quickly giving way to caramel-sugary goodness and a strange, almost salty note. Mouthfeel is bubbly and light, with an almost syrupy viscosity from the sugars. Definitely a beer for those with a sweet tooth, this reminds me of the lambics made by Lindemans. Fun to try, and recommended, but probably not a repeat for me.

wagenvolks, Aug 25, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

Looks brown sugar and cinnamon powder juice. Very faint headthat slowly recedes to nothing after a coupe of sips. NOt to mention the very tiny bubbles in th beer. The aroma is a funky sweet brown sugar and medium toasted grains. The taste is like a fruitless fruit lambic. Youe get all the swetness, just none of the real distinct fruit flavors. You get lots of candi sugar and brown sugar withcurrant like tartness. Not a bad after dinner beer. Lots of dark toasted malty goodness.

scruffwhor, May 07, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Bandi, Oct 13, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours out the haziest brown color I've seen. Almost some ruby highlights in there, but its almost too hazy to let any light through. The head was thin from the start, off-white colored, leaving no lacing. This is my first in the style, and I imagine it could be better, I mean, I've seen plenty of lambics that look clearer (still hazy of course, but they let light through) and nicer. Looks kind of like an actively fermenting beer (without the krausen). The smell is wonderful. Reminds me of the best lambics and sours I've smelled. A bit fruity and sugary, with a huge sour smell. Not too acidic in the nose, a bit vinegar, kind of powdery. Reminds me a bit of sour candy, but smells light and crisp. The taste is really great. There's immediately the flavor of apple cider, which this kind of looks like. Then comes the sour, there's a delightful tartness playing with the sweetness, but I keep coming back to apples. Kind of one-dimensional, which makes it a bit less interesting to drink, but I'm a fan of the sour. I could see this being a beer you drink for an extended session, but I can imagine that the sweetness would get cloying after a while. Just a bit more sour/tart and a bit of lightness would actually help. The carbonation is lightly present, nice, and the wild yeasts keep this one nice and full (the sweetness helps too). Easy to drink, I mean, it pours down like a NA drink, but the sweetness will probably hurt it in the long run.

taylorhamrick, Mar 25, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have fond memories of finding this beer on-draught, a sunny lunchtime at 't Oud Arsenaal in Antwerp. It's proved a tough style to track down since, but JDV was able to help a few months back. Feeling like a lambic tonight, so into a stange this pours from its 12.7 oz. green bottle.

A: An uncapping then a cork extracted with a loud *POP*, pours a chestnut/amber. Fizzy head climbs to about a finger-high, dropping quickly. A fair amount of carbonation rising, refreshing a patch of film and clinging ring of white cream. Complexion is slightly hazy, with a deeper cloudiness towards the top and more clarity at the bottom.

S: Unique aroma: sweetly woody, musty without a defined tart 'funkiness', sugared malt vinegar?

T: A cola-like caramel sweetness and an aftertaste of maraschino cherries. Then there's a hint of lemon-lime tartness. Fleeting woody/vinegar qualities, a sweet-tart apple. Just a little mineral/dry finishing, despite an undeniable sugariness. If I likened this to a Cherry Coke, a Sprite, and a tart cider splashed into a seltzer water, that wouldn't be far off.

M: Crisp feel, slightly fizzing carbonation. Feel is rather light. Finishing notes: a mild tang sits gently and squarely in the middle of the tongue, a powdery sweetness on the lips.

D: A bit tough to decipher at first, challenging to decide whether this is sweet or tart or something else. After a few sips, it really grew on me - refreshing, easy enough to drink and certainly curious. I'd have this again; it's too bad it's a style so hard to find. Big thanks, Deniz!

msubulldog25, Apr 28, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Just arrived in the Dallas area. I admit I've never had a genuine faro before, though I've tried homebrewed interpretations. This example is walnut in color with a moderate frothy head. Nose is musty, slightly sweet, and rather earthy. The taste is pleasantly sweet and sour, a tad vegetal but otherwise not much lambic character. Nice fruitiness with a tart finish. Soft and creamy texture.

A tad sweeter than expected, and not too complex, but a good drink none the less.

allengarvin, Nov 26, 2007

Served in a wine glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me share in this since I had no desire to buy it on my own.

This beer pours a deep orangish amber hue with no head. The smell is of oak, rum raisin, bit of vinegar and cheddar cheese for some reason. The taste is a bit of white grape, some oak flavor, and raisin (without the rum). The taste isn't foul, but it's kinda weak in my opinion. Has a nice light champagne feel to the palate and is pretty easy to drink. Not bad for something that I thought I wouldn't like. Though overall it by style is still more wine like than beer.

Vdubb86, Nov 20, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Pry off the cap, pop out the cork, and into a St. Feuillien snifter it goes...

Prune-skin brown, small, soon-gone head, light cola color.

Dark fruits, especially raisins and prunes, in the nose, slightly sour, ...and then, a touch of sweetness, a hint of cherries. Funky, weird...I like it.

Taste: cherry syrup. Tartness grips the buds, then sweet rides over it. Tart, sour, tart, sour, doin' the two-step faro.

Moderate carbonation, fairly medium bodied, soft, fruity finish.

I haven't had enough faros to know how this compares, but it was okay, though it lacks any complexity or really interesting character. Most likely won't return to this one.

feloniousmonk, Dec 11, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first Faro, so I'm not sure how sweet they typically are, but this one was a little sweet for me.

A: Hazy amber-brown, light tan head, some retention, excellent lacing & leg.

S: Cider, leather, sour cherry, cotton-candy-like fruity sweetness & hints of earthy funk.

T: Quite sweet, light funk, cider, nice spicing from the yeast, slight hint of vinegar, very little bitterness (so the added sweetness makes it a little cloying).

M: Smooth, but a little syrupy; moderate carbonation; good acidity.

D: Very approachable, but a little sweet for my taste.

Big thanks to stumac for trading this rare style!

Derek, Nov 28, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +8%

Thanks Harry for this rare treat! Greatly appreciated!
Pours with trace amount of head, settled to a rounding trim. A surprinsingly dark colour. My pour, from the bottom of the bottle has plenty of little, red bits of sediment. Aroma of a healthy Lambic, puckering sourness with overcoating of wild funk. Flavour finishes and starts on a yeasty note. Trace of over ripe apple, a past-due cider, notes of pear, apricot. A thin lambic, very sweet - candi sugar does lend a tremendous sweet finish. This comes through only on the finish. Little yeast bits at the end offer a very floral character. Very floral yeast notes. Very. Overall, bit of hard to discern from other Lambics if not for the telling sweetness, doesn't have the dimension of puckering tartness or complexity in aroma. Largely though, this isn't that much worse. I enjoyed it this rare style.

biegaman, Oct 18, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle thanks to mmm///beer. My first Faro! Pours a ruby hue with a medium off-white head. The aroma is quite nice; tons of, I guess you would call this fruity notes, somewhat woody and sour. Very pungent for sure. The flavor is also nice; sweet sugary fruity flavors combined with a woody sourness. Some sweet brown sugar and lots of woody flavor. Very odd, a tart cherry/ unripe fruit flavor but also lots of sweetness. A light creamy mouthfeel. Very interesting and nice. Easygoing and yet it made an impact on me.

Douglas88, Nov 13, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to mora2000 for sharing this bottle.

Pours a hazy brown color. Smell is a bit funky with vinegar tones and a little bit of sugar. The taste is initially very sweet, tart, and funky. Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Interesting beer although.

slasher007, Jan 24, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

So, this is a Faro, huh? Let's pour this capped and corked deal into an Ommegang chalice. Cork is about 90% moist, but not at the very top, so we may still be in bidness...

Deep, dark, bourbon color with wisps of head on top that actually look and twist like a hurricane pattern on a 1970s satellite weather photo. Minimal carbonation otherwise. Lacing looks like a bathtub ring.

Slight horse blanket feel with candied sweetness and a mild acetic acid tinge. This all combines with very thick yeast and malt to prep for an interesting yet slightly disconcerting package.

Intriguing is more like it - sweet cinnamon, ginger, maybe some coriander and heavy yeast quotient - slight brett funk (?) and horse blanket tone. Definitely a mild vinegar sourness. Almost a sarsparilla and spiced apple feel - wait a minute...that's candied ginger.

Pleasant, soothing mouthfeel. Rustic, oaky sweetness with enough sour/bitter pucker to cut the weight nicely. Slight vinegar aftertaste.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts on this one. Each element of this offering may not be spectacular but it makes for an enjoyable effort to savor.

IBUnit63, Sep 17, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +6.5%

smithj4, Aug 20, 2014
3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Fairly deep amber. Ample off white head. Quite a bit of floaties, I don't think it was poured very carefully.

Vinuous fruit aroma, brown sugar. A bit of red wine vinegar.

A nice tartness up front. Gets pretty sweet after that, candied and brow sugar. Very ripe red fruits.

It is sweet, but not as bad as I was expecting. Drinkable, you just have to be ready for it.

Bung, Feb 27, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Pristine amber with a purplish hue, and no head, save for a bubbly white ring around the perimeter. Very little lacing.
Smell is cocoa-infused malts, with some tart and sour aromas. Notes of fig and toffee.
Taste is sweet, syrupy malts, with some tart and sour notes. Little bit of acidity towards the finish. More fig and raisin, as well as some faint hints of kiwi. Some oaky notes on the finish.
Mouthfeel is flat and oily, with a sticky finish. Light-to-medium body.
Drinability is good. Seems to be meant to be sipped, and as that, it drinks well.

Parrotbeak, Jul 09, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle split with the other Matt, this officially (for now) shuts down the best of Faro list for me. Beer poured into a snifter.

Beer is clear and dark brown, forms a minimal head that doesn't last long. Carbonation low and there is no lacing on the glass. Looks fine.

Aroma is sweet and a little fruity, like apples.

I said this about the Lindemann's faro and its about the same for this, it tastes a little like apple juice. Its sweet and fruity, its not cloying but it does taste kind of like fruit juice. Beer is thin and has almost no carbonation in the mouth. It tastes fine its just sweet and nothing else, kind of boring. I'm sure this is what this beer is suppose to taste like but its just not that great. I'll keep trying faros, as possible as that will be but the two i've had so far have been rather unimpressive. I would however try this again if it were on draft somewhere.

drabmuh, Aug 30, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +5%

$5 bottle with a pop cap and cork too....
A: Pours a transparent brown color with a tiny tiny head that dissipates immediately

S: Overripe/almost rotting fruit (in a good way), champagne, raisin, fig, dates. Pretty much an overall apple cider vinegar nose

T: Whoa, extremely sweet. Lots and lots of fruits, overripe and dark. Lots of champagne yeast notes, and very very vinous in general. Also tart fruit

MF/D: smooth feel to it, low carbonation, and anything but dry.

Notes: Possibly the most unique beer I've had to date

scottyshades, Dec 02, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my first Faro, so I have no idea how it relates to the style.

The beer pours a hazy brown color with a white head. The aroma is sugary with a lemon tartness. The flavor is a nice mix of lemony tartness and sweetness. Very similar to sweet-tart candy. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

An interesting beer. I doubt I will try too many more faros due to limited availability, but I thought this was a pretty good beer.

Mora2000, Jan 21, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer has a slightly dense iced tea brown body with big bubbles forming a ring that fades. There are big bubbles that gently glide to the surface at the edge of the glass.

S- The old damp wood aroma has a very light tartness with some dark fruity sweet notes to and a very faint cherry vinegar hint in the finish.

T- The soft tart wood note fades to a candy sweet finish with a touch of tartness that is overpowered. There is a slight cola hint in the finish aswell.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a tight zippy note that doesn't do enough to cut the sweetness.

O- I like this a bit better than soda pop but it is in the same camp. The sweetness gets to be a bit to much after half a glass, but it is still a bit softer than other faros I have had. My wife, who only drinks diet coke, enjoyed this beer.

rhoadsrage, Sep 12, 2011