1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Appalachian Ale - West Virginia Brewing Company

Appalachian Ale
No picture uploaded.
good

West Virginia Brewing Company
West Virginia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: aaronh on 09-23-2002)
Reviews by mmmbeer:

A friend of mine bought a keg and I sampled a few glasses from that. Pours a dark brownish red with a nice 2 finger head that leaves a few rings and some lacing. Smells malty with some citrus notes. Tastes nutty/biscuity with a citric hop background. It's balanced well and felt like it had a kick to it. I'm guessing 5-6%. Good amber ale. I only drank a few but I can tell it would be a nice session beer.

mmmbeer, Jan 24, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Well, the Appalachain Ale very similar to the Ned's Pale Ale, basically cut out half the hops and add a shit load of malt. It is poured a ruby red tone with a beige head to complement it's appearance. This beer still retains a nice hop character, but the aroma is full of sweet malt. Besides their Cheat Mountain Gold this is probably my least favorite of their selection, it just doesn't do anything for me. It's ok, a beer I would settle for but the flavors aren't all there, for a nice amber ale there's just something missing. Overall this beer retains a nice crisp finish, when living in WV, I am just happy to come across a beer this fresh and well made. It's is a medium body, with no special fireworks display going off in my mouth. Just a pretty good beer, I was kind of disappointed with this one after trying the others (except the golden ale). It's is drinkable but I will go with a Ned's Pale Ale or the Blackwater Stout in the future.

Update: I just picked up a keg for the house, among eight guys total we realized that buying packaged beer doesn't last too long and it get's expensive quick. So, we decided to throw down for a keg of Appalachain Ale to throw in our newly finished kegerator to finish it. Yesterday was definitely a good day draft beer at home wow. Anyways about the beer, it poured an even deeper ruby amber than I had ever remembered seemed almost like a big malty oktoberfest style beer. Very nice aroma is full of a mild caramel sweetness and slight toasted malts, perfect for a session brew. Either way I want to up the rating on this beer in the drinkability, taste and aroma. I am almost sure that they revamped the recipe and thank heavens it's one of their year round brews.

WVbeergeek, Feb 27, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Like a red, only maltier like a brown. Pink reddish colour with some head and lace. Hops there as well as malt. Above average carbonation that was higher than needed. 5.2% abv. The one I liked the most for drinkability and balance.

Sammy, Jul 04, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

This is the establishment's low hop version of an APA (see Ned's for the hops). Neither are very distinguihed. this one is a little sweeter and has a lot less hops. It's OK but cuttin back on the hops exposes a certain off-yeast taste -- an unpleasant sourness that lingers.

Deconstructionis, Aug 28, 2006

cdwil, Dec 27, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

kew, Jan 19, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

a medium-dark brown with not much of a head, what little head is there dissapears quickly. A deep sweet smell for the nose.To me this represents more of a brown ale than a pale ale. The flavor is more noticably malty than hoppy. Light on the carbonation, with a medium to thick mouthfeel. I have enjoyed this ale for many years and hope to continue for many more. One of West Virginia's best !!

2wheeledpirate, Apr 29, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +30.9%

"The Brewpub" is a Morgantown institution. Sadly, rumor has it it's on the way out. If rumor's true, that sucks. Really Sucks, with a capital "S". But, it was still here last week, when I happened to be in town. And if it's not there the next time I'm in, I still have memories. And this growler. There were only 2 brews on tap, the Appalachian and the Cheat Mountian Gold. I wanted the Ned's Pale Ale, but I took the Appy.

Appy used to be my beer of choice, back in my grad student days, when Ned's wasn't a regular. It's very dark for an Am. Pale Ale, almost porter-esque.High carbonation but thin head, laces better than average. Honestly: it looks like a Dr. Pepper.

Smell: Hops and malt. No subtle hints of anise or anything. Just smells like BEER.

The Flavor, though. Oh man. It's unique. As I worked through the whole half-gallon, I tried to come up with ways to describe it. I failed. It has some hops and some malt and some grain, but nothing you can actually pin your review on. No "flowery" or "piney" or "sweet" or, well, anything. It just Tastes Good.

As for the mouthfeel: better than average. And the drinkability? The reason I switched to the Ned's Pale Ale wasn't that I became a hophead (although I did), it's that once I start on the Appy, I cannot stop. Period. It's just as drinkable as a beer can be.

So, if you're in Mo-Town and If the 'pub is still open, stop in and treat yourself. The Appalachian Ale is the best we have in the Mountain State. Period.

rabsten, Feb 27, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

An excellent brown ale (I'm not sure who loaded this as a pale ale, unless it was someone who mixed it up with WVBC's Ned's Pale Ale). It has a great texture, aroma, and a wonderful nutty after taste. In fact it's my favorite brown ale of all time. Not much of a head, but otherwise fantastic. I would have given it a better review if I was more of a brown ale fan.

JamesS, Sep 06, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Had this beer on tap at the WV Brewery. Pours a normal yellow color with a small head and leaves almost no lacing. The aroma was mostly just plain malts with a tiny bit of hops. The flavor was fairly bland, but not bad. Just a typical ale. It's worth a try, but nothing spectacular.

EDIT: I had this again on 11-26-04. It had a much stronger flavor than I remember, but it wasn't as hoppy as I think an IPA should be. The flavor reminded me of Killian's Red, just slightly stronger.

clvand0, Jan 02, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

During a recent visit for WV for some whitewater rafting, I came across this beer in a restaurant. I was pretty excited to find anything that wasn't BudMilCorrs, or Guinness. Although this beer didn't overwhelm me, I did find it to be a very well crafted ale, with some very good, although subtle characteristics.

It's a deep amber with a thin white head that leaves behind some lace. Aroma is very non-descript, with just a hint of malt and, if I strained my nostrils a bit, some floral notes. Flavor is quite good, with some breadlike maltiness, some hints of toasted grain, and a nice bit of floral backing. Not too challenging, but quite refreshing. Mouthfeel was quite unusual... very smooth and creamy... almost as if it were a nitro-tap, but it wasn't.

All in all, this is a beer that I wouldn't mind having again... a very quaffable session ale.

zerk, Jul 06, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

pours a very dark amber, almost brown in color. First impression is it is darker than it shoul be. almost like a porter.
Smelled of cramel malts, with a note of sulpher detected.
the sulphor carried through to the taste of this one. Seems to have an issue with the water or somthing here.
Not a very good beer at this point. Had it before when it had been better

dmamiano, Jan 21, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -10%

This is a very drinkable beer and for being an Amber it is very middle of the road. It has a big red amber body with a decent head that hangs out. The smell was beerish but not much there. The taste was on par with Killians but with more alcohol and a better body, it's malty characters were more rounded out. If they hopped this one up a little they have the basis for a good ESB on there hands. That being said it does the trick but at $3.50 a pint I won't taste this one again for a while.

Higravity, Dec 16, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

As others have said, this is a good "entry level" beer - nicely balanced without being too assertive on any front. I had several at Bar 101 in Charleston, WV - it is a good session beer! The head retention decreased with each round, but I'm guessing that was due to the serving. Fairly smooth with a well-balanced maltiness - it was a nice find that makes me want to seek out more offerings from this brewery.

rmessick, Feb 28, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

drank on 7.3.08.

ok copper color. not much head, and what was there left almost immediately. the smell was very light and amost non-existent. a little bit of malty smell and very minor hop smell.

taste - nothing much there. there was even a soapy taste - hard to tell if it was from the beer or potentially from the glassware. given the look of the place, might be the glassware. taste is soft to palate, and drinkability is nice, but probably because of the lack of flavor that makes it drinkable for some.

Hophead101, Oct 30, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +30.4%

this is my death row beer-the one i'd ask for if i had one last wish. it's eminently drinkable with enough taste to savor during a good conversation or a nice daydream. the new ownership at wv brewing has gotten their act together and are now putting out a consistently fine product.anyone with a weekend beer trip in mind should consider a visit to morgantown,wv.

yevuta, Feb 25, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

I had this beer on tap at a local pub. It was good, but nothing to brag about. I remember seeing them at the PA Microbrewery festival, and I tried their stout. It was decent, so I thought I'd give the Ale a try. It has a nice golden color, but a little more malt aroma than I expect from an ale. The flavor profile was somewhat disappointing. It was refreshing, but did not have the floral/citrus flavors I normally expect with an ale. It finished clean, more like a lager. Overall a good brew, better than I expect from the state I grew up in. But I'd rather find some of their stout again. Worth a try if you see it. Not sure how many brews there are from WV.

aaronh, Sep 23, 2002