Flywheel Bright Lager - Metropolitan Brewing

Flywheel Bright LagerFlywheel Bright Lager

Metropolitan Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

German Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

The kinetic beauty of spicy hops grabs you by the nose and lets you know: this is German-inspired beer. A mild, bready malt sweetness greets you at the lips, smoothing the crisp hop flavors. Flywheel is meant for bombastic celebrations of singing voices and clamoring mugs. But then, that first contented moment of happy hour is uniquely celebratory as well.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 01-15-2009)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flywheel Bright Lager Alström Bros
JJFordick

Wisconsin

03-17-2014 01:30:17 | More by tplangel
hopman333

2.05/5  rDev -45.9%

Ok, I hate to be negative about a beer, especially a local one as I live in Chicago.

The appearance is nothing to write home about...

There is really no smell whatsoever, unless you really dig deep.

And the taste is really REALLY BLAND AND BORING. Starts out with a virtually non existent malt character, ( where is the cracker and bread like character that everyone on here is mentioning ). Maybe some slight hints of grass and hay, but thats about it. The Hop flavor is very muted, ( extract maybe )Nahh but it sure taste like it. And a bitter finnish that just does not have any counterpoints to reference it.

All in all, a very lackluster beer. And this is coming from a guy that loves Pilseners and lagers. It kind of reminds me, and a friend of a dumbed down Bitburger pils. And at $9.99 a sixer, definately a deal breaker. Do not waste youre money. There are way too many better Lagers out there. Hell, I'll even take a PBR over this.... Sorry...

Oh and I almost forgot, I recently tried a Krankshaft Kolsh on tap at a local bar and that was not very impressive either.

I do wish this Husband and Wife couple the best of luck, and their going to need it with their current lineup.

I'm really sorry but again, I do not know where all of these great reviews came from. And I hate to be a naysayer about a beer, but this is really no better than some adjunct Lagers.

I will have to stick with Victory, Capital and Lakefront for my German Lager fix...

05-23-2010 17:51:10 | More by hopman333
curtiswvu

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

I love to support my Chicago beers but this to me is just bad. Tastes like a dirty bowl of Corn Flakes with a dash of bad Market Day bread. Very good look and mouthfeel for the style. Nice two fingers of clear white and clingy head but I will never order this again. Can't deal with the rusty corn, sorry.

06-09-2011 03:20:49 | More by curtiswvu
nicnut45

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%

A-Pours a hazy neon yellow color, not a lot of head and it settles to a fine layer. Off white lacing coats the glass as I sip. Pretty hazy for a lager I might add too.

S-Lemon, hay, soil like. I have to go searching for this. Nothing really pops out at me.

T-Uneventful. The flavors are fighting. This reminds me of a witbier when I take a sip then this annoying flat bitterness clashes with it. It is bitter just to be bitter. I get some hints of lemon in the background. The bitterness does not harmonize with any of the other flavors.

M.F.-Average carbo, clears the palate well and leaves behind nasty bitterness.

Drink-I would drink 2 max. I wont buy again.

11-25-2009 03:38:35 | More by nicnut45
samie85

2.55/5  rDev -32.7%

A-A vigorous pour shows a golden straw color with a two-finger, dense, white head.

S-Light pilsner malt with some faint aromas of spicy, herbal hops.

T-Crisp, light bitterness that fades into light malt and finishes a little watery and with a the faintest hint of bitterness.

M-Prickly, low carbonation with light medium that feels a little thin and watery on the finish.

D-Honestly, the finish reminds me a little too much of something like Miller Lite. Not sure if this is an old beer, as there's no dating info., but this is not a beer I would buy again.

10-15-2010 04:15:04 | More by samie85
jen_not_jenn

04-03-2012 19:49:55 | More by jen_not_jenn
Khazadum

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Had to pick up a final bottle for my BIF and needed to fill out the quantity of four. What better way than to try a Chicago brew? 12 ounce bottle at a World Market poured into a brandy snifter.

Vision
Initial pour left a one finger head of pure white head. Quickly dissipated leaving no lacing whatsoever. The color of the liquid reminds me of lemon cough drops. When held to the light it shifts to match commercial fake apple juice.

Bouquet
There is not much to enjoy from this brew. Its a one noter. Faint hops and nothing else. Digging deep, really really deep, brought out a faint lemony scent but its almost impossible to keep. Very unsatisfying.

Flavor Profile
First sip revealed very little. Almost half-way through the bottle led me to find what exactly this beer is trying to present itself as. It has a mild bready-ness, if you will, that has a clean finish most of the time. Every few sips the bitterness will come through and linger for a few moments. The hops showing up, I suppose. All in all it was mildly entertaining, but nothing extravagant.

Oral Sensations
For such a bland beginning, I expected the body to be watery and unappealing. However, this one wasn't horrible. That isn't to say it was amazing, but it surprised me in this area for matching my original expectations before I even cracked the bottle. It had texture that allowed it to linger, possibly this is what made up for the taste.

Closing
Not my favorite, not my most hated brew of all time. Would I purchase again? Maybe for my friends who I want to introduce to Craft Brewing. For my friends who have experience? Definitely not at the top of my list. Give it a shot, but don't expect the world from it.

07-14-2010 01:06:06 | More by Khazadum

barnzy78

11-28-2011 04:44:47 | More by barnzy78
WoodBrew

3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

Was at Ben Pao"s (Chicago) the other night, interviewing a candidate for a job. They had this beer available so I says...why not!!! Bonus points to the interviewee who tried it as well. This beer was cloudy golden with white head a decent lacing. not much on the nose. The taste was OK nothing great. I would not consider this a typical pilsner...not like a Becks or Urquel....something different. The mouth feel was ok. I could session this...but would prefer not too. Not sure I would order it again.

04-18-2011 00:50:55 | More by WoodBrew