Flywheel Bright Lager - Metropolitan Brewing

Metropolitan Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

German Pilsener |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 01-15-2009

The kinetic beauty of spicy hops grabs you by the nose and lets you know: this is German-inspired beer. A mild, bready malt sweetness greets you at the lips, smoothing the crisp hop flavors. Flywheel is meant for bombastic celebrations of singing voices and clamoring mugs. But then, that first contented moment of happy hour is uniquely celebratory as well.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Flywheel Bright Lager Alström Bros
2.06/5  rDev -47.3%

Ok, I hate to be negative about a beer, especially a local one as I live in Chicago.

The appearance is nothing to write home about...

There is really no smell whatsoever, unless you really dig deep.

And the taste is really REALLY BLAND AND BORING. Starts out with a virtually non existent malt character, ( where is the cracker and bread like character that everyone on here is mentioning ). Maybe some slight hints of grass and hay, but thats about it. The Hop flavor is very muted, ( extract maybe )Nahh but it sure taste like it. And a bitter finnish that just does not have any counterpoints to reference it.

All in all, a very lackluster beer. And this is coming from a guy that loves Pilseners and lagers. It kind of reminds me, and a friend of a dumbed down Bitburger pils. And at $9.99 a sixer, definately a deal breaker. Do not waste youre money. There are way too many better Lagers out there. Hell, I'll even take a PBR over this.... Sorry...

Oh and I almost forgot, I recently tried a Krankshaft Kolsh on tap at a local bar and that was not very impressive either.

I do wish this Husband and Wife couple the best of luck, and their going to need it with their current lineup.

I'm really sorry but again, I do not know where all of these great reviews came from. And I hate to be a naysayer about a beer, but this is really no better than some adjunct Lagers.

I will have to stick with Victory, Capital and Lakefront for my German Lager fix...

2.3/5  rDev -41.2%

I love to support my Chicago beers but this to me is just bad. Tastes like a dirty bowl of Corn Flakes with a dash of bad Market Day bread. Very good look and mouthfeel for the style. Nice two fingers of clear white and clingy head but I will never order this again. Can't deal with the rusty corn, sorry.

2.49/5  rDev -36.3%

A-Pours a hazy neon yellow color, not a lot of head and it settles to a fine layer. Off white lacing coats the glass as I sip. Pretty hazy for a lager I might add too.

S-Lemon, hay, soil like. I have to go searching for this. Nothing really pops out at me.

T-Uneventful. The flavors are fighting. This reminds me of a witbier when I take a sip then this annoying flat bitterness clashes with it. It is bitter just to be bitter. I get some hints of lemon in the background. The bitterness does not harmonize with any of the other flavors.

M.F.-Average carbo, clears the palate well and leaves behind nasty bitterness.

Drink-I would drink 2 max. I wont buy again.

2.59/5  rDev -33.8%

A-A vigorous pour shows a golden straw color with a two-finger, dense, white head.

S-Light pilsner malt with some faint aromas of spicy, herbal hops.

T-Crisp, light bitterness that fades into light malt and finishes a little watery and with a the faintest hint of bitterness.

M-Prickly, low carbonation with light medium that feels a little thin and watery on the finish.

D-Honestly, the finish reminds me a little too much of something like Miller Lite. Not sure if this is an old beer, as there's no dating info., but this is not a beer I would buy again.

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Had to pick up a final bottle for my BIF and needed to fill out the quantity of four. What better way than to try a Chicago brew? 12 ounce bottle at a World Market poured into a brandy snifter.

Initial pour left a one finger head of pure white head. Quickly dissipated leaving no lacing whatsoever. The color of the liquid reminds me of lemon cough drops. When held to the light it shifts to match commercial fake apple juice.

There is not much to enjoy from this brew. Its a one noter. Faint hops and nothing else. Digging deep, really really deep, brought out a faint lemony scent but its almost impossible to keep. Very unsatisfying.

Flavor Profile
First sip revealed very little. Almost half-way through the bottle led me to find what exactly this beer is trying to present itself as. It has a mild bready-ness, if you will, that has a clean finish most of the time. Every few sips the bitterness will come through and linger for a few moments. The hops showing up, I suppose. All in all it was mildly entertaining, but nothing extravagant.

Oral Sensations
For such a bland beginning, I expected the body to be watery and unappealing. However, this one wasn't horrible. That isn't to say it was amazing, but it surprised me in this area for matching my original expectations before I even cracked the bottle. It had texture that allowed it to linger, possibly this is what made up for the taste.

Not my favorite, not my most hated brew of all time. Would I purchase again? Maybe for my friends who I want to introduce to Craft Brewing. For my friends who have experience? Definitely not at the top of my list. Give it a shot, but don't expect the world from it.

3.05/5  rDev -22%

Was at Ben Pao"s (Chicago) the other night, interviewing a candidate for a job. They had this beer available so I says...why not!!! Bonus points to the interviewee who tried it as well. This beer was cloudy golden with white head a decent lacing. not much on the nose. The taste was OK nothing great. I would not consider this a typical pilsner...not like a Becks or Urquel....something different. The mouth feel was ok. I could session this...but would prefer not too. Not sure I would order it again.

3.41/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Thick white head with good retention. Slight hazer with a light amber body.

S: Mild aroma, which shows light lemon zest.

T: Lemon off the start, which finishes with a smooth orange spice on the finish.

M: Spice brings crisp taste that hold slight lingering taste. Spice on the finish as well.

D: Crisp and refreshing, the last taste is a bit heavy for the style, with a un-easy lager heaviness

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Miller's Pub, Chicago, IL

I rarely find pilsners that I like, but I did like this one. Poured a clear straw color with a small white head, and a bit of lacing. Light grains and grassy hops in the nose. More of the same on the taste, with crisp, fresh grains coming through, grassiness, slight citrus zest, and a light hop bite that gives a bitter finish. Light mouthfeel, crisp, and pleasant to drink.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

A - More amber-gold than straw in color, with a towering, bone-white head that sticks around and leaves plenty of lace. A slight chill haze, perhaps, with vigorous bubbling carbonation.

S - Bready, biscuit-like malt, herbal and floral hop aroma, some grass.

T - Again, bready, maybe a touch of sweetness, with noble hop flavor and a refreshing, spicy bite. Bitterness lingers on the palate.

M - I think this is where the beer falls short. For the style, it seems a bit flabby.

D - This is a solid pils, but I think it could be even better with a tweak of the hop/malt ratio, to give it a more spritely character with a lighter body. As it is, I'd still call it a good candidate for a session.

3.52/5  rDev -10%

Nice golden hue although the huge level of chill haze detracts from what should be a bright (hey, it's even named for it!), vibrant liquid. Head is minimal.

Bread with honey, hint of tree fruit (apricots? in a lager?!?), barely any trace of noble hops. Smell decent but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Man, this yeast is just way too fruity for a lager, especially a German-inspired one at that. Hops are at least present on the palate but there's a weird, doughy effect through the interplay of the yeast and metallic hop twinge.

Mouthfeel is appropriate but I'm just not seeing this as a go-to session lager. I was really hoping for something more because a) I love trumpeting all things Chicago and b) new session beers (and local ones at that) are hard to come by. Oh, well, it wasn't bad enough for me not to give the brewery another shot.

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

As far as lagers go this one is very pretty. A strong straw yellow with a tough head that rises cleanly above the beer. Very unclean as it crashes back into the liquid, leaving coral shaped lace all over the glass.

The nose is crisp but not very compelling. It's mostly grain but has hints of fruit that point towards the off flavors of a beer fermented too high a temp. Not the crisp, clean beers I've come to enjoy on several trips to Germany.

The taste redeems the smell with a nice hoppy bite and clean malt flavor. Slightly grassy hops with a hints of lemon and honey praise the sweet grains.

The finish is dry and peppery, which is a nice change from the sweet crisp start. Light bodied and simple. Very nice but that is all.

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

Bright white one finger head after the pour. Very bright straw color with only a tiny bubble or two. Creamy toasted pilsner malt nose mix with just a balancing note of grass. The taste i creamy and dry grainy. I must admit, I don't really care for this flavor combo. The heavy grainy flavor almost comes off as musty. Maybe if they added a litle more hops to the boil, their would be a better balance and crispness. Very grainy palate. Not bad pilsner, just not my kind of pilsner.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Slightly hazy yellow-orange pour with a nice full inch of creamy white bubbly head on top. Good retention. Aromas of crisp pale malts mingling with spicy, somewhat grassy hops. A bit of an earthy cereal accent as well. Pretty clean and balanced.

First sip brings crisp malts and cereal accents that moves into spicy, grassy hops with some earthy flavors as well. Mild bitterness on the finish. Mellow.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with stable carbonation. Goes down easy and refreshing. A pretty tasty pilsener that would work well on a hot summer day or after mowing the lawn, but not something I would actively seek out. I look forward to seeing what else Metropolitan brews up in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Every time I see this beer on the shelf, I get reminded of how crappily my car runs. Oh well. Regardless, it pours a clear golden straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises grass, light lemon zest, and a touch of sweet flowers. The taste doesn't alter this formula much, though the lemon is a tad stronger (not all that much at all, mind you). The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp, clean finish. Overall, a solid pils, nothing outstanding, but eminently drinkable.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Great to see more American craft brewers starting produce lagers. Pale yellow color with a solid white head. Excellent noble like hoppy aroma with all sorts of grassy and citrus tones. Light and creamy feel with little carbonation for the style. Hop flavor is also relatively strong for a lager.

A great change of pace from all the typical ale styles that are more regularly consumed and reviewed. Big hops have a different feel in a lager. I'm anxiously awaitng more from Metropolitan Brewing.

3.61/5  rDev -7.7%

Imbibed at Finnegan's in Plainfield, IL 02/13/2011.

Appearance -- Pours a lightly hazed golden straw hue with a slim cap of creamy white head. Great head retention.

Smell -- Not much to report on, honestly: husky grain and grassy hops. Nothing offensive, just not especially aromatic.

Taste -- Pale husky malt, gentle plum esters, gentle lemon, and grassy hops. Lingering flavors of barley husks and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with moderate prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- Not bad, though not nearly as good as Dynamo. A pleasant, easy-drinker. Had zero problems putting this one back.

3.66/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap, poured into an imperial pint glass. The beer is a brilliant, sparking yellow gold with with dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves a decent amount of web lace. The aroma is a stone / mineral quality with a spritzy, zesty citrus and tonic water note. As it warms up a hint of bread dough enters the nose as well. The beer is a medium sweet and medium bitter in phases, initially its more sweet up front, with a light bitter finish, but towards mid-glass, the sweetness mellows and the bitter finish takes over. The beer is oily, and maybe a touch syrupy in texture with a fuzzy and prickly carbonation. The medium light body has a bright lemon with club soda character and a touch of roasted grains and honey that finishes with a citrus zest, grass, and that stone/mineral quality. The aftertaste is a clean clove with toast and, specifically, bread crust. A rather refreshing brew.

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Color is light yellow and crystal clear. Very light yellow. The white head tops out at a little over one inch and sticks around for a while. It becomes rocky after a couple minutes and then slowly recedes to a thick cap. Lacing is actually very impressive for this brew.

S - Aroma is light. A little pale malt and grain are evident on the front end. Could be some pine that finishes it off. That is pretty much it.

T - Flavor is a little better than the aroma. Some sugary pale malt flavors hit the palate first. That really makes this one start out smooth. A little bit of grain and cereal show up in the middle and both disappear quickly. Nice crisp pine on the very end.

M - Light body with a mildly active carbonation. I actually could have used a little move carbonation in this one. Finish is nice and smooth. It all gets rounded out by a nice bitter sting that sticks around for a few.

D - Drinkability is pretty good with the Flywheel. It is refreshing and flavorful. The crisp bitterness on the end is pretty much what I would expect from a good pilsener. This beer does have its flaws but none of those would be deal breakers for me. Aroma - really needs some work. Even with great effort, I could barely get anything. I would also say it's undercarbonated but just barely. I would have this brew again if it were available.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a clear straw color with a small head

nice and balanced aromas of grains, crackers, lemons and some straw aromas too.

lighter bodied with fresh flavors of grains, lemons and fresh picked citrus. Balanced but lacking a slight bit on the back and mid

A refreshing pilsner. A nice feel, but it's just slightly lacking a bit of depth that would make this great. Still a quality pilsner that is really enjoyable to drink

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to Kegatron for providing me with a 12oz. bottle, which I consumed on 5/1/10.

A - Poured a clear, bright yellow body with a bright white head that was quick to recede, leaving virtually no retention or lacing at all.

S - Biscuity malt with some sweet notes, but very grainy overall. Some light herbal hops also creep into the mix.

T - Biscuity and sweet with light hop notes and an apparent grainy malt character. Some fruity, lemony notes add a bit of zing to the flavor profile.

M - Light to medium bodied with a light oily texture and crisp mouthfeel.

D - Pretty solid representation of the Euro Pils style. Tasty and non-offensive, although not overly hoppy.

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a clear gold with some pure white foam.
The nose is lots of biscuit and warm bread, a little bit of spice and maybe a hint of citrus?
Good tasting brew with nice, bready malts, a little sweetness, some spice and a hint of lemon.
Mouthfeel is medium, crisp and clean.
Overall, I wouldn't mind drinking a couple of these.

on tap @ the Map Room

Pours a pale yellow, very clear, with a nice 1-2cm white head that left decent lacing. Looks like a nice, normal lager. The smell is almost of pure pilsener malt, quite a bit of the melanoids in the nose here. With a slight presence of spicy, herbal, almost earthy hops. Again about what I would expect - maybe better, but not quite impressive. First, there's a more complex maltiness than you would expect from this. Starts out a bit like crackers, also there's a kind of powdery, husky taste, all backed with a nice sweetness - almost a hint of light syrup. There are some earthy - nearly dirty, leafy tastes, which I can only assume is from the hops. Not bitterness, not lingering, clinging resins. Better than average, but I wonder what a little more aroma hops would do, maybe some (more) dry hops are in order. The carbonation level was kind of moderate, no sting, but you could feel it. It was actually quite full tasting, almost syrupy feeling because the carbonation didn't quite bite. Still pretty light though, just not watery. The drink is pretty good. More flavorful than the average lager, especially on the malt side of things, but nothing really incredible. Just a pretty solid lager.

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

This beer looks like a slight slight haze on a golden body with a sterile white froth on the surface. There is a bit of the distinct pilsner sour, but it's much more subtle than most. There is a hint of green apple and honey on the nose as well. The body is light and crisp with really subtle flavors. There is an off bready bitterness that I don't much care for, but it's not overwhelmingly bad. The mouthfeel is fairly decent for the style and it's nice and drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Acquired from pochman, courtesy of BA Secret Santa 2009 so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of lager yeast, light caramelized malts, some citrus and some hops.

T: The taste is nicely balanced. There are sweet flavors of citrus and light malts up front that are quickly tempered by a lager yeast breadiness and a mild but complementary hops presence. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, this is a nice pounable beer to drink for a long time.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a seidel mug.

A: Crisp, pale, golden-straw with a fluffy white head.

S: Cut hay, spicy noble hope, lemon rind and a hint of sulfer.

T: Mineral bitterness and very light malty sweetness. The hop flavour isn't as big I had hoped.

D: No doubt, this is a drinkable brew. I finished this in no time at all and I'm glad I had another. Mouthfeel is light and appropriate; balance is keen.

Overall: Its a pretty good pils, but not great. I would have liked more of a hop presence. Something in line with what you get in very fresh imported pils, but its a minor complaint. Good brew and no major flaws.

Flywheel Bright Lager from Metropolitan Brewing