Krankshaft Kölsch - Metropolitan Brewing

Krankshaft KölschKrankshaft Kölsch

Metropolitan Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Kölsch |  5.00% ABV

Brewed in homage to the beer of Cologne, Krankshaft is a pale straw hued smile in a glass. We throw in a little wheat malt to round out an easy Santiam hop bitterness. There are no Köbes to serve them up, but you should feel free to have as many as you like.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 07-07-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Krankshaft Kölsch Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -60.3%

JJFordick, Sep 14, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -57.7%

I had this one on tap while in Chicago yesterday. I hadn't heard of it before so I thought I'd give it a try. It was a huge disappointment. It arrived a very pale gold in color with a light white head. It was very clear. It smelled of a skunked dortmunder lager and didn't have much "kolsch" to it at all. I was really disappointed. The flavor too, of skunked dortmunder. Bummer! It drank light but I hated it. Luckily the manager came by and asked us how our meal was and brought me a fresh Lagunitas IPA to replace it. Amazing and courteous gesture!

aasher, Mar 28, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured into an Hannen Alt glass on 10/22/12

Hazy, pale, faded, watery looking dull golden yellow. Two and a half fingers of smooth, fizzy foam. One half finger retention and thick drapes of lace.

The aroma progresses as such: soap (and lots of it), herbal hops, pears, light fruits, grain dust and wheat. The grain bill seem ok, but there's some funny business going on otherwise. Ugh, the taste is thinnish and riddled with unpleasantries. Neutered hops, and a paltry grain bill. Far too much in the way of fruit notions. The finish is dirty and hollow. The feel isn't any better - weak and watery body with overly fuzzy carbonation.

There is a skeleton of an ok beer in here, but, as is, this is is disappointing and difficult to drink.

Ryan011235, Oct 23, 2012

ChainChompsky, May 11, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle poured into glass

Appearance: Clear yellow with a very light layer of lacing.

Smell: Crunchy malt, almost hay-like with strong corn scent.

Taste: Corn, wheat and barley malts with a little bitterness and some alcohol flavor.

Drinkability: Having more than one is a struggle I'm actually giving away the rest if I can, if I can't I'm just going to dump the beer and save the bottles for my homebrewing. This is one of the worst local brews I've had. I haven't gotten the chance to try any other metropolitan beers. I hope metropolitan can put out a better product than this.

wmtxbb, Nov 24, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler.

What an incredibly pale straw color and hazy body. This looks so weak looking with a white head that does not stick around, but keeps a small puck. I have never seen a Kolsch this light ever this looks weak.

Nose is sour, and smells like bile/vomit. NASTY! There is a hint of yeast and bread but I can't get past this bad nose. Hints of lemon pledge.

Taste improves a bit but does not help much, has an incredibly tart and sour hints on the finish and alcohol drying in the palate. Cotton mouth aftertaste in the finish bordering on malt liqour taking away malt and crisp. No sense of bread either.

Overall, wow this might be the worst Kolsch I have ever had.

smakawhat, Sep 03, 2011

ajkiser12, Dec 06, 2012

brez8791, Jun 07, 2013

nick0417, Jul 12, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

This is an ok Kolsch style lager. Pours clear and light golden color. Nice white head. Bitter, but not overpowering. Very drinkable beer, however I am not a fan of this style. A slight metallic after taste. I know quite a few people who love this beer, so I feel bad not giving it a higher review. That said, in my opinion this is an average beer at best. It's better than coors light, but not by much. I love supporting local breweries so I will continue to try everything that Metropolitan produces, but this is not my favorite.

osusullins, Oct 29, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

I drank this on tap at GI.

The beer is a super clear straw with about a finger and half of white head. Decent retention, ok lacing.

The aroma us super light, hardly gives off anything at all.

The taste is super light as well, all water pretty much. There is a light skunk finish.

The feel is super light.

The beer is very easy to drink, but its like drinking a glass of water, why would you want to drink it?

jrallen34, Mar 27, 2010

pdxbeerdrinker, Jan 16, 2012

jophish17, Jan 15, 2012

vinny21bal, Feb 07, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -18%

Had this on-tap at Hackney's at the Printer's Row section of Chicago.

Served in a pint glass.

A: Poured a clear straw color with about a 1.5 finger head. Nice, classic Kolsch look.

S: VERY strong barley and grain scent... much more potent than I'm used to in this style. Still, not bad.

T: I bit more sugar-laced than most Kolschs on the market for sure, but still not bad, and the bitter finish was a bit off to my mind.

M: This certainly got a bit cloying after a while, which is not a good thing in the Kolsch world. Lots of lacing.

O: Meh, didn't care much for this one.

Chaney, Dec 27, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle gifted by Thorpe. Thanks. Beer served in a stange glass. Beer is clear with a big white head and some lacing on the glass. Carbonation moderate.

Surprisingly strong aroma. A little vegetal but grainy and sweet also.

Beer is sweet and light in body. There is a strong graininess and an unfortunate aftertaste. It's not the best Kolsch I've had. I doubt i would have it again.

drabmuh, Feb 06, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Hazy golden straw color with a bubbly head.

Smell: A bit of yeast, light malts, and some floral aromas. Nothing jumping out of the glass.

Taste: Lemon sweetness and very light malt flavor. Subtle grain and finishes crisp. Overall, fairly subdued.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp on the palate. Refreshing for warm weather.

Overall: Flavor was nothing to write home about. Not much to it.

mfavoino, Jul 15, 2012