I-Beam Alt - Metropolitan Brewing

Metropolitan Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: beertooth on 04-01-2010

Prototype version of Iron Works Alt.
Ratings: 9 | Reviews: 7
Reviews by emerge077:
4.08/5  rDev n/a

Had a pint at Fountainhead.

Saturated copper, crystal clear with a few trails of ascending bubbles. Tight cap of fluffy foam, creamy on the surface, leaving sticky lacing in it's wake.

Bready, nutty aroma, with an initial metallic twinge that seems to dissipate quickly. After the first few sips, it's apparent this is a robust malt bomb. Fresh baked bread, nutty & malty flavors. Slightly raw, husky grain notes are there, with a touch of apple from the yeast.

Fairly full bodied, which is really nice with a hearty meal. Probably one and done, but it's great to sample such a fresh Alt, when these are so rarely brewed stateside.

4.57/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield Il, served in a shaker pint glass.

It pours a sparkling clear burnt copper with a lingering khaki, creamy head.

The aroma isn't huge but what is there is great. It's full of a thick chewy sweet bread aromas and just a little bit nutty.

The taste is very interesting. This is only the second example of the style I've had so I'm not well versed but this is something I really enjoy. Tons of sweet caramel flavors, bready, full bodied. It's like drinking a sweet roll, truly a liquid bread type beer. There is just a light touch of some yeast fruitiness at the end.

Even though the beer is pretty full bodied on this beautiful spring day while sitting by the garage doors in the bar I'm finding myself taking large gulps of this beer and the pint finishes in near record time. It's really a well crafted beer from a little known brewery that is churning out some fine lagers and lager like beers.

4.33/5  rDev n/a

I was pretty excited to get my paws on a few sneak preview counterfilled bottles of this beer. I love Alts, but they're not brewed that much and I usually refuse to buy faded imports so I've been waiting for this one for awhile.

This beer pours a wonderful deep, clear amber with a finger of clingy, bubbly, khaki head that leaves some spotty lacing on my nonic pint glass.

The nose is making my mouth water. It's very bready like toasted crust or pretzel dough. There is some slight noble hop zest as well. It's quite clean and smells very well balanced like the rest of Metro's beers.

The first gulp gives me those bready grains and pretzel notes. The malts come on sweet at first, but are quickly put in check by the bitterness of the hops. Doug said he thinks it could use some more bittering hops and I agree with him. A little more bitterness and this would be a 5. It finishes dry with some lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an almost creamy and medium level of carbonation.

I-beam is the best Altbier I've had to date and this was also probably the freshest since it was bottled yesterday(ha!). I really wish they would bottle this. I'm going to be spending a lot of money and time at the bars when this pops on tap. Cheers to the Metro crew who don't get enough love on BA. They are producing some amazing and quite sessionable styles that most breweries can't get right.

4.88/5  rDev n/a

Seriously, one of the best Alts I've had. Fresh on tap at Jake Melnick's during the Brewers Conference. Nice bitter backbone, just the right touch of malt. Flavor was fresh and quenching. Poured light brown/coppery with a nice, thick head. A great addition to their lineup.

3.5/5  rDev n/a

A: deep copper, almost brown. off-white head is fleeting.
S: very nutty, along with lightly roasted dark bready and caramelly malt notes.
T: nutty and caramelly malt sweetness with very little to no hop presence or bitterness to balance. manages to be a bit cloying even at this abv. kinda one-note.
M: light to medium bodied, slick from the residual sugars and somewhat low carbonation.
D: i would have thought this was a sweet brown ale rather than an altbier.

3.93/5  rDev n/a

I-beam Alt has a deep red color that is almost brown, especially at its core. The tan head is creamy and it features good retention and lacing.

The aroma has some spicy hops, but mostly it is made up of caramel and bready malts.

A splash of spicy hops come through up front, but they are quickly overwhelmed by the malt. Lots of bread flavors are definitely the focal point of this beer, along with a clean sweetness from the malt. I picked up caramel in the nose, but I'm not sure caramel is really in the flavor so much as a sweet, almost molasses-like sweetness. The finish has a bit of bitterness to it.

The mouthfeel on this one is very well done, the body is creamy and smooth.

This is my first beer from Metropolitan, and it left me a little bit disappointed that I might not have the chance to sample any more of the brewery's offerings. Overall though, this is a solid Alt bier.

4.74/5  rDev n/a

A good alt is hard to find.

Poured into a pint at Small Bar Logan Square.

Starts with about an inch off off white head, which fell surprisingly quickly, leaving almost no lacing. The beer itself has a great coppery amber hue, and eceptional clarity.

The aroma gives notes of fresh noble hops, caremel, a candy sweetness and a hint of citrus.

The flavor itself is really nice. Starts with a good toasty, bread note. Then a pretty smooth creamy middle with light apple notes which is capped by a good, but not over powering hop bite and herbal notes (which remind me of rosemary). The finish has a bit of a grainy astringency, but I expect that with this style, and it works well with ths beer.

The moderate body and carbonation, good bitterness and light astringency all tie in wonderfully to make a wonderfully drinkable alt. Great flavor, too. If you want to taste german hops, this is your beer.

I-Beam Alt from Metropolitan Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.