Double Haul IPA - Kettle House Brewing Co.

Double Haul IPADouble Haul IPA

Kettle House Brewing Co. visit their website
Montana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-17-2006

Double Haul IPA scores big with our hop-headed friends. Of course, the folks at NABA agreed, awarding it a gold medal at the 2008 brewfest. Brewed with lots of hops and a solid body, Double Haul IPA is a beer lover’s dream. After a couple of Double Haul®s you’ll feel like you’re out with your buddies and it’s FISH ON! for both of you. Cascade hops for flavoring and finish provide a mouthy cascade of hoppiness! Brewed with love and packaged to go, so…”Take me with you”.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

AROMA: Medium citrusy hop nose, Cascade or one of the other "C"s; a touch of grassiness; a hint of toasty, biscuity malt, estery, more subdued than the typical AIPA, but inviting nonetheless.

APPEARANCE: Big rocky head (I could not pour all of the 16 ounce can into an Imperial pint glass at once, had to wait for it to settle a bit to pour the rest of it), nice lace as the head started to fall, even toward the end of the pint it maintained a solid 1/4 inch of creamy head. Brilliantly clear, deep copper colour.

FLAVOUR: Aroma may have been somewhat subdued, but not the flavour. High hop bitterness, medium hop flavour, solid malt backbone, some toasted malt notes, a touch of malt sweetness remains in the finish along with all those hops.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium carbonation, creamy mouthfeel, very slight alcohol warmth,

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Very enjoyably drinkable with an assertive flavour. I got this as part of a "sampler" box from a friend who had been out west (thanks, Ted!), and would have loved to have a couple more of these. Excellent choice!

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-reddish gold with a thick white head

S-very hoppy and piney but has an aged scent to it....almost as if there are belgian yeasts in there as well.

T-more than anything, this is just bitter. not very hoppy or anything else really. after-taste is very piney. this is an outstanding IPA.

M-medium carbonation with a good creamy finish to it

D-this is actually a lot better than I remember. I think I finally got a fresh can of it! It's a very easy sinking IPA and somehow unique, almost floral. I suggest this.

4.26/5  rDev +18%

16oz can from the On-Deck basement cooler. Originally purchased at the Bozeman Community Coop... don't remember the price, but I know it was pricey. Shared with a work buddy while listening to Sasha's Fundacion mix. Mine shared out of a Delirium tulip.

Big chunky head atop a hop hazed amber brew (maybe a little dark for an IPA)... lacing lasts forever.

Smell is big malts and bigger pine and grapefruit hops... fantastic.. mmmm! Reminds me of a DIPA w/o the caramel malts.

Taste is much more restrained, but still big in every way... oily hops... chewy toasted bread malts... nice bitter backbone... finishes with lip-smacking pine and citrus hops that linger forever. Medium body with good prickley carbonation. This beer is fantastic... I really wish I had a few more.

I've enjoyed dozens of these since last summer, and wish I had more. I will say it again, canned beer will revolutionize the industry... cans are cheaper than bottles... canning lines are a whole bunch cheaper than bottling lines... cans don't break, bottles shatter... bottled beer can get light damaged.. cans are impervious to light... cheers to cans; just make sure you drink it out of a glass. ;)

Edit: finishing this brew, I am realizing I only have 2 more cans in the basement.... I was planning on trading these away; but I may have to hang on to them until I can make it again to Big Sky country.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

This IPA is best served on tap. During a 4 day stay in Missoula, MT we hit both Kettlehouse locations, sampled just about everything they had available and, being a hop head, this was my hands down favorite.

I also consumed more than a few cans of Double Haul and, while it's the best beer in a can I've ever had, it definitely doesn't compare to drinking it fresh from the tap.

4.15/5  rDev +15%

Poured from the 16oz can into a Stella stem glass. Body is a deep golden color, topped by a fluffy, off-white head that has some staying power. Aroma of sweet, bready malt, grapefruity hops, and a touch of astringency.
Palate is rich, sweet biscuit malt up front that is quickly met with a good dose of hops that are heavy on the grapefruit. A touch of pine and mild fruit from the malt come through on the swallow. A nice, lingering bitterness hangs around on the finish, but is not overwhelming.
The body is right where it should be for an IPA, full but not thick, lively but not bubbly. An enjoyable brew, and a treat to have in a tall can. Hell, I smuggled some in to a soccer game the other day, so the packaging has served me well. Hopefully this will get distribution in Oregon soon.

4.11/5  rDev +13.9%

10/28/06- Picked up a four pack of these at the city store in Stevensville, MT.

Presentation- 16oz can with no freshness dating. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Deep amber in color pour. Full one inch ultra creamy and root beer float chunky looking head. Nice streaks and sheets of lace left behind.

Smell- Fresh woody hops. Pine and grapefruit come through, but not before the very large scent of bready malt hits.

Taste- Equal hop and malt profile. Pine laden for the most part, but also a nice citrus taste as well. Pretty deep malt is about the hop equal. Caramely and bready as in the nose. Nice meld.

Mouthfeel- About perfect level of carbonation. Chewy with a nice aftertaste.

Drinkability- One of the better balanced IPA's I have had. Might swing a bit more towards the malty side. Sessionable for sure, as I went through several four pack during my week stay in Montana. No metallic taste from the can which was a wonderful suprise. Not 100% sure this is an IPA though. It almost tastes strong enough to be a DIPA. Good all around beer worth trying though.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a plastic cup requisitioned from the Old Faithful Lodge cafeteria.
So, sue me - That's the best I can do given I'm not about to buy a pint glass at the souvenir store.
Pours dark amber and clear. The taste and mouth feel are smooth and not at all overpowering. Mild hops and citric flavor make this a very drinkable beer.
I'm impressed.
Update: On my return home I poured another into a pint glass.
Better than before with abundant head after aggressive pour.
I am very pleased that I picked up an eight pack in Missoula to bring home. I will very much enjoy each one.
Update a year later: Just as good as I remembered. I highly recommend this beer from the Big Sky Country.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

My first Montana beer, and from a can no less. Poured with vigor to produce a 3 finger light tan foamy head. Body is a rich shade of ancient amber. Leaves nice lacing. Nose is nicely hoppy but also sweet with hints of vanilla and ripe citrus. Enters the mouth and quickly lets you know that it is drinkable and refreshing. Has a soft up front hop character that is quickly balanced by a rich but dry malt presence. Super easy on the buds with hints of sweetness laced between lightly bitter bites. Mouthfeel holds some upfront malt sweetness and ends with a bitter feel that stays on the tongue. A solid beer I would buy more of if it were locally available.

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%

Well, I thought I have seen it all, an IPA in a can. But this stuff is good. I could drink a ton of these and not look like an idiot dragging out a garbage bag full of bottles. A win win. Incidently the Cold Smoke also by Kettlehouse is near legendary status in this state. I travelled 180 miles to find Cold Smoke, but the only thing they had was Double Haul. Well, I could travel 180 miles for this also. All in all a great AIPA.

ABV = 6.5

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

Received a 4 pack of this in the parking lot of the Laughing Dog Brewery from Vern, the rep who brings Idaho and Montana beers into Alberta these days. Thanks! From a 473 ml blue can. Pours out a clear burnished copper hue, tall foamy off-white head that retains well.

Clean floral and citrus hops on the nose, toffee and clean grains as well.

Clean biscuit and caramel malt up front in the flavour, spicy, herbal hops in the middle, with more spicy hops on the finish, and a clean yet herbally astringent aftertaste.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, smooth silky texture with medium carbonation.

If not for the abv% this would make an ideal session ale, and that aside, it still makes a great offering to spend an evening with. Very clean on all fronts, yet strikes me more as an English IPA than an American based on the flavour profile of the hops, but that's merely from the lack of whollaping grapefruit in the mix. Definitely an IPA worth checking out, I hope to see more of this available locally sometime soon.

This is a good IPA. It is fairly malty so the hops don't stand out as much as they may in other IPAs. Not a terribly complex IPA but a nice beer. If you are looking for an IPA to take to the river or golf course (i.e. in a can) this is your best option--currently your only option. I think it is a lot better on draft at the source. This is my favorite Kettlehouse beer.

I am CANtinuing to do the CAN-CAN!

From the CAN: "When you need to hit that hard to reach spot - river left, just up from the seam where you saw a huge splashy rise, you need a Double Haul. Double Haul IPA is our full-bodied, hoppy, award winning India Pale Ale, made with Montana barley and Northwest grown hops. We're the first modern craft brewery in Montana to package it in cans, so you can enjoy it on the rivers, lakes, golf courses, and anywhere else glass is prohibited. Recycle your can and you can save up for that 4-piece 6-weight you've always wanted. Just as you'd never leave for a trip up Rock Creek without a Wooly Bugger in your fly box, you also don't want to forget your Double Haul. The cast will help you throw big, lead-laden bugs on windy days. And the beer, like the cast, really hits the spot. (No promises that the beer will help you with your cast.)"

The pour created two fingers' worth of dense, creamy, eggshell-white head with fantastic retention. The nose was fragrant with grassy, earthy hops. My mouth immediately began to water. Color was a deep golden-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Mouthfeel was medium with a good bit of caramel flavor offsetting the intensity of the hops. Finish was slightly dry, bitter up front and then allowing the malty sweetness to return on the extreme finish. A really good CANned IPA! Also, great lacing throughout.

Got this in a trade with JohnGalt1. Poured this 16 oz can into a standard pint glass. Clear, bright orange/amber with a small tan head. Great lacing in the glass. Floral citrus aroma. Dry, slightly nutty taste with some waves of pink grapefruit. Quite drinkable and another good example of a canned craft brew.
NOTE- ABV 6.5%

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

When I'm not drinking my own home brew, the Kettlehouse's Double Haul IPA is my staple brew. I try to support my local breweries and this beer makes it pretty damn easy. They were one of the first craft breweries in Missoula to introduce cans. Cans are welcome in Zoo town because they no longer recycle glass here. Not to mention, cans are much more suitable for the active, Montana, outdoor lifestyle (especially for floating the rivers).

A - Decent head retention, clarity is phenomenal, copper gold in color
S - Initial aroma is hop pungent, guessing centinnels and cascades, then settles down
T - Little bit of malty sweetness, citrus and nut, hop flavor dominates
M - Somewhat dry & crisp, palate retains hop flavor, not overly carbonated, not much body
D - This is a solid IPA, very drinkable, one of the best canned IPAs any small micro brewery has to offer

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Gotta love the craft brew from my home state in a can. Why oh why can't more good breweries can their beer?

A boisterous pour into my pint glass yields a huge, creamy, long lasting head that leaves a lot of lacing. Clear, rich amber in color... this is a good looking beer!

Spruce needles on the nose... the hops used are very aromatic in the evergreen and bitter citrus departments. I'm also noting some caramel malt that somehow doesn't get drowned out, especially as it warms.

Surprisingly, less hops in the flavour. Notice I spelled "flavor" the British way. That's because this tastes more like what I think of as a British IPA. The hops are certainly there, but a big caramel malt backbone balances out the hops nicely. In fact, the hop flavors are less on the fruity side and more provide bitter, lemon rind citrus at the end of the gulp.

Nice creamy mouthfeel, plenty of body from the ample malts, finishes slick and bitter. Well balanced and expertly crafted. If it weren't for the limited distribution and high cost of this beer, it would have a higher drinkability score from me, but those two factors pull it down. Try this if you can find it!

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to smellysell for the hookup with this one!

A-Rich copper with a medium light tan head. Reduced to a thin cap that left nice lace.

S-Light malty caramel malts with faint peppery / earthy hops.

T-Initial blast from sweet caramel malts hold on for a while till being taken over by a good dose of sharp pine/peppery hops with some citrus coming thru late. This is certainly a malt forward beer. Hops are not lacking though and start to pop more as the brew warms, lingering bitterness is long lasting.

M-Medium body with a remarkable smoothness. Bitter hop residue long lasting.

D-Good stuff, but not "my" type of IPA. To me this is very much like a malt forward version of Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale...which is hop forward. Nonetheless, another quality brew from a can and finally one from a place I have fond memories of. KH is one of the most unique brewpubs I have ever been to.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

*Thanks to JohnGalt1 - great trader*

Poured into Piraat tulip. Rich copper color, nice amount of lacing and oil, and moderate carbonation.

Sour, sweet-grass malt on the nose with piney hop notes. A definite earthiness to the overall smell.

First taste consists of a woody, sweet-carmel butterscotch malt that evolves into a stiff pine hop; nice progression to this one. What begins somewhat soupy and oily on the palate ends with a crispy, sweet-tart dryness to the mouth; alcohol well hidden.

A very balanced IPA that comes in a can. I have to admit, there is something about craft beer in a can that makes me happy; not sure why. If I lived in Montana I would probably have this around a lot. Highly recommended to hop heads while also a nice beer for an IPA newb. I will enjoy this watching the new "The Office" on DVR :-)

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to smellysell for the can.

Pours a clear orange tinged copper with a one finger head that fades slowly to a thin cap and ring. The resulting lace is very sticky, leaving some very nice rings on the glass.

Smell; starts off mildly citric, but then the hops turn towards the spicy side with a touch of pine needles. A sweet maltiness comes through once you get past the hops, with caramel and a bit of bread dough.

Taste; the spicy hops comethrough more in the fore than in the nose, with the citrus and the pine definitely playing second fiddle. Even saying that is a bit misleading though as the hoppiness of this one is definitely on the tame side for an IPA. This is a very malty one, as carmael, bread dough and oddly enough a little bit of a nutty presence.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth a a really good drinkabiilty. This would be a beer I would grab for just hanging out with friends playing cards for the night if it was available in my area. I think my review may not reflect so, but this is a very easy to drink IPA that would make a great "session" beer.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Picked up a four-pak of 16oz cans from Wolds Valley Market yesterday for $8.39. Canned on 8/31/11.

Beer poured a light copper with a white head that left some lacing behind.

Nose is mainly caramel malts with some hints of citrus.

Taste is bready malts finishing with a large amount of citrus zest.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, somewhat smooth.

Overall this is a good brew, a bit of a cross between a pale and ipa, though the hop blast in the end does officially make it an ipa. Had it on tap at the Iron Horse in Missoula and thought it was better there. Give it a try if you like ipa's!

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Kiddwhiz hooked this beer up, thanks man! Poured from can, awesome name btw, to a pint glass the beer pours a translucent copper color with orange edges in the light. A small half finger off-white head with some retention and nice lacing. Malty and floral hoppy in the nose. More balanced and malt than I anticipated. Somewhat subdued. The flavor follows suit with a foundation of caramel malts. The hops then begin to blend and provide a balanced flavor. Sweet. Medium bitterness. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and sweetness on the tongue. The beer seems a bit under carbonated though medium bodied. Overall, not a bad offering and nice to have sampled!

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Had this on tap at Kettlehouse Brewing Co.
A: Poured orangish color, good white head, lots of lacing down the glass
S: Smell is of woody hops, slight citrusy. Hop used seems slightly different from the normal hugely citusy hop.
T: Malt up front with woody hoppiness in the aftertaste, again different from the norm. Slighly astringent.
M: Medium bodied, good carbonaton level
D: Good IPA, different from a typical IPA but pretty good.

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

Can, thanks to smellysell.
Nice dark amber color, with a white head that sticks around for a little while
Aroma of piney hops and a tinge of sweet malts
Taste is a well balanced IPA between Hops and Malts, carmel notes seem to dominate.
Good mouthfeel on this one as it is very well carbonated, and a nice smooth texture.
I could see myself drinking a few of these, not quite sessionable at 6.5%, but a very well balanced IPA that may lean a little toward the malty side.
Another good canned brew.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

16oz can, purchased and consumed within yellowstone

appearance: lively copper body, healthy white foam

smell: dry malt, bitter hop resin, a bit spicy

taste: fairly malt forward - rustic and grainy, the present hops provide a fairly bitter turn without a significant amount of citrus flavor, a bit spicy, toasted grain

mouthfeel: sharp bitterness, light carbonation

overall: pretty good, but the other 2 kettlehouse beers i consumed were better

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

16 oz can into a tulip glass. Best by Jan 27, 2010.

Pours a burnt orange color with medium off-white head. Not much life in the head.

Smell is caramel malt and sugar. Light citrus aroma, but this component is severely subdued. Hop-head or not, this is under-hopped for style.

Taste is mirrors the smell. Quite sugary with toasted malt and light citrus. Seemed very under-hopped initially, but pine and bitterness pick up through the last 8 oz.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, but could really use more carbonation.

This beer should appeal to those who like their IPA a little more malty and subtle (not a WC IPA). Still, I think it's too sweet. Not as good as I remember it from my Missoula days, but credit to Kettlehouse for offering a pretty solid IPA in a can.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks to friend and BA'er gclarkage for the 16oz can of this one.

A very nicely malty IPA. Avoids the citrus bomb style of California. Still American, and still very much within the style, but has a breadiness I associate more with ambers than with IPAs.

Pours a medium deep orange brown. Short, dense head, lots of lacing. Nose is almost malt led, but has some hops - it's not just pine or hop edge. Taste is very well integrated - you're drinking the same beer you're smelling. Almost leads with that dry malt, then tricks you with heavy hops, especially as the bitterness hits at the end. Finish dies away nicely - dry and bitter, but not unpleasantly so.

Nice work here. Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but very interesting to see what can be done within this style - it's not just about juicy American hops. I would go for another of these, especially a fresh one on tap.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Double Haul IPA from Kettle House Brewing Co.