1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cold Smoke Scotch Ale - Kettle House Brewing Co.

Cold Smoke Scotch AleCold Smoke Scotch Ale

Kettle House Brewing Co. visit their website
Montana, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Formulated with Montana grown 2-row barley, northwest Goldings hops, and lotsa love, this hearty ale drinks very smooth. Not bitter at all and not too sweet either. Novice beer drinkers have been known to take a taste and then say, “WOW! That’s not what I expected… that’s GOOD!” A hint of roasted barley lends a slight coffee-like smoky finish. With a 6.5% abv, this beer is perfect after a day of rippin’ lines on area or your favorite back country getaway.

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-20-2002)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 126 | Reviews: 55 | Show All Ratings:
PEBKAC

4.18/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A treat from the Midwest brought to you by JohnGalt1.

All 16oz pour out & nestle right underneath the lip of my Unibroue tulip. It's about as dark as brown can be without stepping on black's toes. A sixth of an inch of head rests at the top. Deathly afraid of what lies over the edge. The air is thin up their it seems.

My scotch ale resume is still somewhat limited, but my initial whiff sets this beer on the lighter side of smoked. A little muted coffee, a little ash, nougat, a little newspaper. Some alcohol seeps through.

Being naturally hungry & looking for a pairing, I remember that I had just brought back a wedge of smoked Gouda for the fridge. Isn't it fate that I wait until now to crack this beer open or what? When was this trade, two months ago? :P

I hold off nibbling in the cheese until I take my first couple of sips(re: glugs). ... Incredibly mild is what first comes to mind. The nougat from before displays most prominently, with the ash being replaced with a more creamy lactose taste. Just the initial splash of coffee without the bittering edge, which is amazing. Nothing charred or over-roasted at all. Still a little newspaper in there, but when you lick your fingers enough to turn the page, you start to appreciate the finer qualities of soy. :P Is Cold Smoke a place in Montana?... because there isn't much actual smoke flavor unless you count the Daily News you burnt lighting up your chimney starter. I do like the overall mixture of dark ingredients without the extra malt & sugar I find excessive in scotch ales. Mild & delicious.

Mouthfeel is quite thin. I could even call it watery. Carbonation is on the low side. Alcohol is MIA. I know I sometimes say the alcohol is undetectable, but if this "beer" was ousted & placed on the supermarket shelves next to the root beer, I wouldn't be surprised. I do feel a little numb on an empty stomach(all 180lbs of me), so there has to be something in there.

The pint went down easier then most anything I've ever drank. I've had glasses of warm milk at bedtime give me a rougher time. Too bad I only had one can. Time to hit the trading forums. :)

01-02-2008 01:45:09 | More by PEBKAC
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can from the cellar purchased by my fiancee's parents at the Bozeman Community Food Coop .... Don't exactly remember the price but I thing around $4/can ... expensive but really a nice value and a chance to help keep canning alive while promoting a great Montana brewery.

I shared this brew with a coworker .. my half from my small weizen glass. Very nice beige head that left rings of lacing for the entire glass.. brew is brown... dark brown.. nice ruby highlites..

Biscuit malts and dark caramel... bready notes in the nose.. some expected esters that are not overplayed.. no hops, although I may be missing them..

Flavor is spot-on. malty and toffee... some very lite raisin... brown malts lingering ... good mix of yeasty fruitiness.. great body and carbonation.. blindfolded, I never would have guessed this was a canned brew.. I can never detect "peat smoke" in Scotch ales, and I won't try in this one.. but I swear there is a slight "Scotch" finish at the end of the palate.... smoooothh. creamy. very nice.

I have 1 more in the cellar.. I will probably keep it for a rainy day.. but you never know.. Cold Smoke is one of those beers that I really like to share with friends.

12-20-2007 10:06:57 | More by JohnGalt1
younger35

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

This was one of the two Kettle House brews that I received in a trade from JohnGalt1. O yeah, he gave me an ABYSS too! Drank and reviewed in-between games of Halo 3 (I’m a dork…). Drank from my family guy glass (ha!)

Appearance- Pours a dark brown with a bit of a amber/yellow tint with a nice one finger creamy head. Leaves a nice cap and collar with fairly decent lacing.
Smell- Lot’s of malt in this big fella. Lightly sweet with soft fresh bread tones. A bit of caramel goodness mixed in with very little, if any, hop kick.
Taste- Slightly sweet with a smooth honey like start. Nice bit of a roasted malt to go along with the sweetness and very slight smokiness. The smokiness is a bit different than what I expected. Could have used maybe a touch more “peatyness”. Finishes with a bit of a fruity bitterness with just a touch of alcohol. Overall pretty tasty stuff.
Mouthfeel- Nice and velvety smooth with very little carbonation.
Drinkability- This is a very easy drinking, pretty tasty brew. I’d drink this regularly if it was available to me. It sort of reminds me of Surly’s Bender without all the big flavor. Like it’s little brother. Thanks again to JohnGalt1!

11-01-2007 00:24:14 | More by younger35
ArtD

Maryland

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance - off white head, love the ruby brown color
Smell - inviting - sweet honey, malt, and a slight herbal-smoky aroma, hints of baked bread and heather
Taste - what a scottish ale should taste like, clean and malty, not too "hot", just touch of smoke at the end, perfect imperceptible hop bitterness
Mouthfeel - medium to full body, not too thick
Drinkability - I want to buy a plane ticket to Missoula so I can access this beer continually. I fear it'll be far too long until this rare treasure passes my lips again.

10-31-2007 00:40:02 | More by ArtD
mnstorm99

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Can thanks to smellysell.
Beatiful looking beer with a nice dark opaque amber color and an off white head with some nice lacing.
Aroma is sweet and smokey, just as I expected with a crapload of malts to give it a decent balance from the smoke.
Taste is less smokey and much more malty. a little too much going on there for me to really pick it out.
Nice smooth creamy texture, coats nicely going down.
I could drink one or two of these, but I need my hops and this is a good one to have between a couple of hoppy beers to cleanse the palate as you will.

10-09-2007 14:45:50 | More by mnstorm99
Cold Smoke Scotch Ale from Kettle House Brewing Co.