Cold Smoke Scotch Ale - Kettle House Brewing Co.

Cold Smoke Scotch AleCold Smoke Scotch Ale

Kettle House Brewing Co. visit their website
Montana, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-20-2002

Formulated with Montana grown 2-row barley, northwest Goldings hops, and lotsa love, this hearty ale drinks very smooth. Not bitter at all and not too sweet either. Novice beer drinkers have been known to take a taste and then say, “WOW! That’s not what I expected… that’s GOOD!” A hint of roasted barley lends a slight coffee-like smoky finish. With a 6.5% abv, this beer is perfect after a day of rippin’ lines on area or your favorite back country getaway.

Ratings: 207 | Reviews: 68
3.81/5  rDev -4.5%

I CAN hardly wait to open this beer! It came to me in a trade and I spent part of the afternoon drinking CANned Belhaven to warm up for this review.

From the CAN: "You hold in your hands the award-winning Cold Smoke Scotch Ale. Brewed with Montana grown and malted barley, hops from the Yakima Valley and pure water from Missoula's aquifer - it is a dark, smooth ale with a slightly sweet coffee finish.

Named after the light, bottomless powder that falls in Montana, Cold Smoke is the transcendent powder experience craved by skiers and boarders. What you hear on Cold Smoke days: 'Face shots!', 'Snorkels!', 'No friends on powder day!' If you have ridden Cold Smoke, you know what I mean.

Kettlehouse Brewing Company, LLC operates two breweries within a long fly cast of the Clark Fork River in Missoula, Montana. Our beer mission is to match our beers to the quality of the Montana experience.

...

Slainte, Tim O'Leary"

My pour created two fingers' worth of bubbly, thick, light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep cola-brown with NE-quality clarity and ruby highlights. Nose was sweet, milk chocolaty, cocoa and coffee. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a more muted sweetness on the tongue than the nose had led me to expect. Finish had a coffee/cocoa flavor that lingered. This was nowhere near as sweet as I had girded myself to expect. I really enjoyed it, but its absence of noticeable hops made it less compelling than many American-IPAs would be for me.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Spent a week in Missoula last September. Stopped in to the Kettlehouse Brewery and Tried this beer after being disappointed in their Bongwater porter (the name fits). I was very pleasantly surprised by this beer. Found this beer on tap most everywhere we ate on tap. The only other Wee Heavy I'd had was an Import from Scotland. This beer comes damn close!

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Deep, dark amber color with a one+ finger off-white head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S - A little weak, but very deep and rich malty aroma. A little on the sweet side and lots of caramel and some burnt sugar in the aroma.

T - A very sweet caramel taste up front. A little sugary sweetness to it as well. A light earthy hoppiness comes through mid drink before fading to a very malty finish.

M/D - Medium to full bodied and very creamy. A little light on the carbonation but still very easy drinking.

A strong offering from the folks up in Montana. Not as good as Old Chub, but still very tasty. Love seeing craft beer in cans.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

this is a good beer with no detractions.
pours nice dark amber color with a good sized head but little lacing
smell is sweet with a little bit of alcohol in the nose
the taste is nice a good nutty flavor with a good smoked choc. malt taste but no alcohol taste
the drinkability and mouthfeel are both good the ale is really smooth and a little thick

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

Got this in a can in Missoula, believe that is the only way you can get it. Heard alot about it, so thought I would give it a whirl.

Appearance is rather ordinary, nothing to make you go wow, but a typical looking scotch ale. This beer however delivers in superior taste and drinkability. At 6.5 abv this drinks like a 4.5. A great Scotch Ale, and very good entry beer for those wanting to sample different styles without taking a big risk.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

A-Clear deep copper with lighter highlights. A medium thin tan head redeuces to a thin ring leaving spotty lace..

S-Sweet caramel, malt and a nice wafting of peat smoked malt. This isn't a rauchbier but much more subtle, giving you just a suggestion of single malt scotch.

T-A swirling combination of sweet caramel, light roast and peated malt. The smokiness is present and prevalent but not overwhelming. This is a smoked beer for the masses....in a good way!

M-The only fault with this brew....and not a huge knock but just enough to warrant a less than good score. Medium-light body with a sharp feel from the carbonation. I would like a bit more body and smoother feel.

D-Tasty stuff, this alone could let me down multiples! I like the smoked elements plus the sweetness is not overwhelming....a fault I see in many scotch ales. This is a well crafted and tasty brew, from a can no less! Give it just a bit more body and round out the smoothness and this could become a world beater!

3.71/5  rDev -7%

06/20/08- Had via the can during my two week Montana vacation.

Presentation- 16oz can with a best by date one the top of the can. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep auburn colored pour with a one inch plus foamy and creamy tan colored head. A nice full rim remains for the duration. Nice lace patchwork left behind.

Smell- Roasted caramel malts, earth and light dark chocolate coca powder. Not very assesrtive though.

Taste- Very light sweetness from the deep roasted caramel malt base. Peat, dirt, earth and a mild smokey character. Very lightly hopped and a mild nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, slightly creamy with a mid to lower carbonation level.

Drinkability- Not bad at all. Not as sweet as expected as most scotch ales I have had have been. Smooth mouthfeel makes is very easy to drink.

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark garnet-hued body wtih a small, bubbly, whiteish head.

Smell: Peaty, malty aroma of caramel candy, toasted nuts, and even some chocolate.

Taste: Toasty, nutty malts with a mild sweetness. Light peat character. Sprinkle of cocoa powder. Mildly earthy bitterness. Slight taste of pitted fruits. Mildly sweet, relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a bad lil' scotch ale, though I could stand and would appreciate a ramped up peaty smokiness.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

12 oz can shared at the homebrew club into a small American Pint - 2008 - Fridge Temp

Appearance: Pours a transparent brown color with orange highlights. A tan head rises about 1" and shows good retention with good lacing that coats the glass.

Smell: Caramel, malt, a tiny bit of smoke and PEAT! Not awfully apparent, but there is some peat aroma that reminds me of a single malt.

Taste: A number of malt flavors includes caramel, toast, fig, and peat. Peat is the most endearing quality of this beer. It makes it feel like what a scotch ale should be, a chaser to your dram. It only makes sense to make one taste similar to the other. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and slick at first, but there is a drying effect in the finish. Perhaps it is more of a sharpness. Alcohol is evident, but not cloying.

Drinkability: Great. I have found a new favorite Scotch ale, one that should be the keystone to which the style is interpreted. Peaty, malty, and creamy, not to mention that it comes in a can. Very nice.

4.01/5  rDev +0.5%

My brother brought over a couple cans when visiting from Montana. Props to Kettlehouse putting their beer in cans. They explain that it's more environmentally friendly, especially for the many people that enjoy their beer while enjoying the river. Glass sinks and can break. I'd take this floating any day over something in a glass bottle.

I like the dark, red-orange color when poured in my pint glass. To me it looks like the tint of a brown ale, but upon looking at it more closely, it just looks deep dark red, not having much brown in it. The off-white head is substantial when poured from the can, and lasts pretty long.

Aromas are the weak point. Some sweet toasted malts. Maybe a little honey. Not very roasty smelling for as dark as it looks.

The taste is also deceptively sweet and smooth for a beer that looks this dark. Knowing that it's a scotch ale, I wasn't expecting a porter flavor, but it still caught me off guard. Flavors are subtle and pleasing. I wish I had more knowledge of this style of beer to compare it to.

This beer goes down smooth and easy. Despite having a nice head, carbonation is minimal. It's almost a bit too thin, but it isn't obvious.

This is a really approachable, broad pleasing kind of beer. I think it would be tasty with lots of different kinds of foods. If you can find it, give it a try.

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A treat from the Midwest brought to you by JohnGalt1.

All 16oz pour out & nestle right underneath the lip of my Unibroue tulip. It's about as dark as brown can be without stepping on black's toes. A sixth of an inch of head rests at the top. Deathly afraid of what lies over the edge. The air is thin up their it seems.

My scotch ale resume is still somewhat limited, but my initial whiff sets this beer on the lighter side of smoked. A little muted coffee, a little ash, nougat, a little newspaper. Some alcohol seeps through.

Being naturally hungry & looking for a pairing, I remember that I had just brought back a wedge of smoked Gouda for the fridge. Isn't it fate that I wait until now to crack this beer open or what? When was this trade, two months ago? :P

I hold off nibbling in the cheese until I take my first couple of sips(re: glugs). ... Incredibly mild is what first comes to mind. The nougat from before displays most prominently, with the ash being replaced with a more creamy lactose taste. Just the initial splash of coffee without the bittering edge, which is amazing. Nothing charred or over-roasted at all. Still a little newspaper in there, but when you lick your fingers enough to turn the page, you start to appreciate the finer qualities of soy. :P Is Cold Smoke a place in Montana?... because there isn't much actual smoke flavor unless you count the Daily News you burnt lighting up your chimney starter. I do like the overall mixture of dark ingredients without the extra malt & sugar I find excessive in scotch ales. Mild & delicious.

Mouthfeel is quite thin. I could even call it watery. Carbonation is on the low side. Alcohol is MIA. I know I sometimes say the alcohol is undetectable, but if this "beer" was ousted & placed on the supermarket shelves next to the root beer, I wouldn't be surprised. I do feel a little numb on an empty stomach(all 180lbs of me), so there has to be something in there.

The pint went down easier then most anything I've ever drank. I've had glasses of warm milk at bedtime give me a rougher time. Too bad I only had one can. Time to hit the trading forums. :)

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can from the cellar purchased by my fiancee's parents at the Bozeman Community Food Coop .... Don't exactly remember the price but I thing around $4/can ... expensive but really a nice value and a chance to help keep canning alive while promoting a great Montana brewery.

I shared this brew with a coworker .. my half from my small weizen glass. Very nice beige head that left rings of lacing for the entire glass.. brew is brown... dark brown.. nice ruby highlites..

Biscuit malts and dark caramel... bready notes in the nose.. some expected esters that are not overplayed.. no hops, although I may be missing them..

Flavor is spot-on. malty and toffee... some very lite raisin... brown malts lingering ... good mix of yeasty fruitiness.. great body and carbonation.. blindfolded, I never would have guessed this was a canned brew.. I can never detect "peat smoke" in Scotch ales, and I won't try in this one.. but I swear there is a slight "Scotch" finish at the end of the palate.... smoooothh. creamy. very nice.

I have 1 more in the cellar.. I will probably keep it for a rainy day.. but you never know.. Cold Smoke is one of those beers that I really like to share with friends.

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

This was one of the two Kettle House brews that I received in a trade from JohnGalt1. O yeah, he gave me an ABYSS too! Drank and reviewed in-between games of Halo 3 (I’m a dork…). Drank from my family guy glass (ha!)

Appearance- Pours a dark brown with a bit of a amber/yellow tint with a nice one finger creamy head. Leaves a nice cap and collar with fairly decent lacing.
Smell- Lot’s of malt in this big fella. Lightly sweet with soft fresh bread tones. A bit of caramel goodness mixed in with very little, if any, hop kick.
Taste- Slightly sweet with a smooth honey like start. Nice bit of a roasted malt to go along with the sweetness and very slight smokiness. The smokiness is a bit different than what I expected. Could have used maybe a touch more “peatyness”. Finishes with a bit of a fruity bitterness with just a touch of alcohol. Overall pretty tasty stuff.
Mouthfeel- Nice and velvety smooth with very little carbonation.
Drinkability- This is a very easy drinking, pretty tasty brew. I’d drink this regularly if it was available to me. It sort of reminds me of Surly’s Bender without all the big flavor. Like it’s little brother. Thanks again to JohnGalt1!

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - off white head, love the ruby brown color
Smell - inviting - sweet honey, malt, and a slight herbal-smoky aroma, hints of baked bread and heather
Taste - what a scottish ale should taste like, clean and malty, not too "hot", just touch of smoke at the end, perfect imperceptible hop bitterness
Mouthfeel - medium to full body, not too thick
Drinkability - I want to buy a plane ticket to Missoula so I can access this beer continually. I fear it'll be far too long until this rare treasure passes my lips again.

3.28/5  rDev -17.8%

Can thanks to smellysell.
Beatiful looking beer with a nice dark opaque amber color and an off white head with some nice lacing.
Aroma is sweet and smokey, just as I expected with a crapload of malts to give it a decent balance from the smoke.
Taste is less smokey and much more malty. a little too much going on there for me to really pick it out.
Nice smooth creamy texture, coats nicely going down.
I could drink one or two of these, but I need my hops and this is a good one to have between a couple of hoppy beers to cleanse the palate as you will.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Draught @ Big Sky: This one pours a ruby tinged brown color. It has a fairly decent frothy off white head on it, but it doesn’t last too long. A bit of a roasted, sweet malt to the nose, as well as some smokiness. I didn’t really get any peat out of it, as I might expect in a scotch ale. A good medium body and flavor. Mainly the sweet roasted malts that were in the aroma, as well as some of the smokiness. Some lurking hops for balance, but fairly hidden. Decent!

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A: Poured a mahogany color, good sized head, slight lacing
S: Smell is sweet and malty, not much hoppiness at all, just lots of malt
T: Good grain/maltiness, nice sweet beer
M: Moderate to heavy bodied
D: Very flavorfull, would have tasted better on a nice cold winter day. Very good beer nonetheless.

3.31/5  rDev -17%

This dark scotch ale was not as impressive as the others at the brewery. The roasted malt was paired with a fruity hop character. The brew was light and refreshing…a little too light and refreshing for a style of ale that was probably created to impart the need in man to throw objects in many different ways for sport or war.

Cold Smoke Scotch Ale from Kettle House Brewing Co.